BAFTA Adds 'Diversity' Requirement which must be filled in order to Qualify for an Award

gloop

Yes, more forced diversity! We saw how well that worked in Battlefield V! That game was so well received it died before it even launched. Truly stunning and brave.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Serious question: Did anyone want this?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Seems performative tbh

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, more forced diversity! We saw how well that worked in Battlefield V! That game was so well received it died before it even launched. Truly stunning and brave.

I'd suggest watching Matt McMuscles' video on Battlefield V, because it was a whole lot more than "forced diversity" that killed that game.

Just now, Nowak said:

I'd suggest watching Matt McMuscles' video on Battlefield V, because it was a whole lot more than "forced diversity" that killed that game.

Definitely, but the forced diversity was definitely one of the reasons its launch didn't go as well as it should have. After the launch EA completely fucked up with their live service and updates, which is the reason it completely died.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Definitely, but the forced diversity was definitely one of the reasons its launch didn't go as well as it should have. After the launch EA completely fucked up with their live service and updates, which is the reason it completely died.

It was far more than that that made the launch go to shit. I'd link the video but I'm on my tablet and sharing from YouTube blows ass.

Plus we're getting off topic lol

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

It seems Anita Sarkeesian has achieved George Soros levels of power in the gaming industry 

Well I'm sure there's plenty of actors alongside and behind Anita as well.

If anything, this seems more like pandering and contributes nothing to the LGBT community.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So... there are game awards? Does anyone pay attention to them?

I'm wondering if qualifying for these awards is a strong enough incentive for any company to take action along the "A-B-C-D" dimensions, unless it's costless.

Wait, I thought treating gender as binary was an ultimate bigot, lynch-deserving thing to do. Should I update my online etiquette again? 🤔

I wonder how a game like Civilization does in this front: technically, every human past, present and future is represented? 🤔

At the other extreme, what is the stance on games that don't have people at all?

There was a meme going on that you could place a beige box in a game as a leading character and you'll have certain groups that would get offended over that for sure. Some would find the beige box racist, others would see it as sexist and third would find it not inclusive enough.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

There was a meme going on that you could place a beige box in a game as a leading character and you'll have certain groups that would get offended over that for sure. Some would find the beige box racist, others would see it as sexist and third would find it not inclusive enough.

Frankly I think that beige boxes look nice.

Why are they politicizing everything now days?...

In my country 90% of the people are native European,in the history of my country there wasn't much immigration so it's not fissbile for a studio in my country to achieve those quotas.

This isn't America that most of it's population migrated there,nor Britain or France which both had people migrating from their colonies.

And what about small studios comprised of small number of people?,imagine a studio comprised of 3 people,they have no chance to achieve those quotas.

This whole thing doesn't make any sense in those situations.

And why employ people just because of their gender or race?,that's sexist and racist in itself,and discriminatory by nature.

I had rather employ people based on their performance,regardless of their gender...

They are dictators who try to force their ideology upon others,and spread propaganda of their sexist,racist and discriminatory ideology rather than advocating equality for all (equality for a specific group of people is not equality,it's supremacy).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Game: Grand Theft Auto V

Summary of race in production: White, Black and everything in between.

Result: Approved for award.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Game: Grand Theft Auto V

Summary of race in production: White, Black and everything in between.

Result: Approved for award.

Yeah, but see, you can go around and hire a hooker and it's gonna be a woman which reinforces sexist stereotypes which automatically denies the nomination of the game. ha!

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

It makes everything unnatural and makes game developers who use awards as advertisement make bad decisions in terms of their characters and the storylines.

Happened with the remake of Resident Evil 3,the original dialogue and cutscences,and character models were changed to align with this political propaganda,

In the original, for example when someone helped Jill in the original she said "Thanks",in the remake she says "I don't need help from you",

Which fits with the "I am a strong woman,i don't need help from a man" narrative,a lot of players say that Jill in the remake is a "bitch".

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

This concept turns the game award in a political correctness award, nothing more.

True,could not have said it better myself.

And some people think that the politically correct is morally correct - and that's false.

Damn politics.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, but see, you can go around and hire a hooker and it's gonna be a woman which reinforces sexist stereotypes which automatically denies the nomination of the game. ha!

But that's a free women who can do whatever she wants with her body.

Telling a women what she can and can't do with her body is a controversial topic in feminism,some support it,and some are against.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, Benji said:

Wasn't that literally one of the reasons why some older GTA game got so much criticism for its "sexism" from the feminist community because it "promoted abuse of women" (I don't know exactly what it said, but it said something along those lines) because you could injure them in-game while entirely ignoring that, in every GTA game, you can go around and kill essentially every single person (be it a main character or random NPCs) in the game regardless of gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation?

Also to @Vishera, you see, women are only free for as long as they agree with whatever feminists are whining about. As soon as you disagree, they'll outcast you and call you names and call you a misogynist and a traitor to the gender! That I've seen as well.

People think men hate women. Reality is, it's the other women hating on themselves...

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also to @Vishera, you see, women are only free for as long as they agree with whatever feminists are whining about. As soon as you disagree, they'll outcast you and call you names and call you a misogynist and a traitor to the gender! That I've seen as well.

People think men hate women. Reality is, it's the other women hating on themselves...

Not all women are feminists,and most are not members of any feminist group,

And a woman that wants to work as a stripper,hooker etc, won't give a damn about what the feminists think,and if they threaten her way of life she can fight against it.

Also some feminists believe that women should do whatever they want with their body,and that it's nobody's business.

What was the last 100% historically accurate game made? How many games, since they have been a thing, have been 100% historically accurate? Nobody plays historically accurate games, because they don't exist. Every game takes creative liberties in telling a story because truth be told, history is incredibly boring.

As for hiring practices: "Imagine finding out you were only hired to fill a quota, instead of your skill." Or what about if you flip it, "Imagine finding out you were only hired so the guys didn't have to stop joking about raping strippers on the weekend, instead of your skill." Or, "Imagine finding out you were only hired so the company didn't have to go through the trouble of adding a wheelchair ramp to the side access door, instead of your skill." The only people who are mad about that are mad because they didn't get the position, and have an ego. "Nobody is better than me, they only got the position because they are a diversity hire..." And the counter-argument, "Well, my friend who works there told me the person they hired instead of me..." is biased and does not count to any degree.

Obviously, some people are going to only do the diversity thing for publicity, or to check all the boxes. Unfortunately, large-scale change often has to be forced initially, before it becomes a natural thing.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

begs the question: if the portrayal is of a country or area with severely disproportionate racial numbers, would keeping it period accurate be "eligible"?

movie: Mulan

Summary of Race in Production: Chinese

result: d-- i mean exceptionnnn??? 大哥 请别生我的气...

Minecraft should be flagged for lack of diversity among NPCs.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Minecraft should be flagged for lack of diversity among NPCs.

All white people and cannot distinguish between genders. 

Spoiler

0/10 - BAFTA

4 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

What was the last 100% historically accurate game made?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was pretty  accurate. Hell, they literally hired historians for years to make sure they didn’t miss minor details. 

7 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

What was the last 100% historically accurate game made? How many games, since they have been a thing, have been 100% historically accurate? Nobody plays historically accurate games, because they don't exist. Every game takes creative liberties in telling a story because truth be told, history is incredibly boring.

As for hiring practices: "Imagine finding out you were only hired to fill a quota, instead of your skill." Or what about if you flip it, "Imagine finding out you were only hired so the guys didn't have to stop joking about raping strippers on the weekend, instead of your skill." Or, "Imagine finding out you were only hired so the company didn't have to go through the trouble of adding a wheelchair ramp to the side access door, instead of your skill." The only people who are mad about that are mad because they didn't get the position, and have an ego. "Nobody is better than me, they only got the position because they are a diversity hire..." And the counter-argument, "Well, my friend who works there told me the person they hired instead of me..." is biased and does not count to any degree.

Obviously, some people are going to only do the diversity thing for publicity, or to check all the boxes. Unfortunately, large-scale change often has to be forced initially, before it becomes a natural thing.

Metal Gear Solid 3, Snake Eater. Whenever I climb ladders for 10 minutes straight, I hear orchestral music and am instilled with the confidence to keep going. Oh, and the only reason you haven't heard of half the things in that game in real life is because the CIA totally hid it from us. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

29 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Not all women are feminists,and most are not members of any feminist group,

And a woman that wants to work as a stripper,hooker etc, won't give a damn about what the feminists think,and if they threaten her way of life she can fight against it.

Also some feminists believe that women should do whatever they want with their body,and that it's nobody's business.

That's the theory behind feminism. Unfortunately, in practice, it doesn't work like that.

The only thing I'm saying in this thread...

You know things have gone too far when actors are publicly apologising for acting/doing their job.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

26 minutes ago, gloop said:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was pretty  accurate. Hell, they literally hired historians for years to make sure they didn’t miss minor details. 

And it was pretty rough around the corners, was it not? Pretty buggy, limited saves in an open world RPG and the castle sieges were much smaller scale than promised. 

Historical accuracy isn't the be-all end-all for a game that people make it out to be.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I better get an award for making a clown fiesta game with the lead character an African vegan cis-male trans muslim

Started off as a parody, ends up a AAA title. 😩

Every time I think the world has gone insane, I'm again, proven wrong. Oh, so very wrong!

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So... there are game awards? Does anyone pay attention to them?

I'm wondering if qualifying for these awards is a strong enough incentive for any company to take action along the "A-B-C-D" dimensions, unless it's costless.

Wait, I thought treating gender as binary was an ultimate bigot, lynch-deserving thing to do. Should I update my online etiquette again? 🤔

I wonder how a game like Civilization does in this front: technically, every human past, present and future is represented? 🤔

At the other extreme, what is the stance on games that don't have people at all?

Do you mean your Tetris game doesn't have black and gay blocks? You racist transfobic nazi!