BAFTA Adds 'Diversity' Requirement which must be filled in order to Qualify for an Award

gloop

Summary

BAFTA has added a 'diversity requirement' which will need to be fulfilled in order to be considered for an award. 

Quotes

BAFTA plans to make the BFI Diversity Standards part of the criteria for the British Academy Games Awards, with entrants asked about their staff and production processes to establish compliance.

Entries are now open for the British Academy Games Awards 2021, and the new idea will be piloted across the Best British Game category's entrants. Eligibility for will not be affected for the 2021 event, BAFTA said, as the idea is still in the pilot phase.

The BFI Diversity Standards were introduced to the British Academy Film Awards last year, and they are also being piloted for the British Academy Television Awards. The standards have been modified for games companies, in collaboration with the industry itself.

In a statement, BAFTA CEO Amanda Berry said the goal of the pilot is "fully introducing diversity standards to BAFTA's Games Awards in the future." In future editions of the British Academy Games Awards, the BFI Diversity Standards would become part of the event's rules and regulations.

The BFI's CEO, Ben Roberts, added that the standards could also serve as "a framework" for more inclusive standards in the games industry as a whole.

For the 2021 event, entrants will be asked to self-assess against the criteria, which focus on under-represented groups across four areas. You can read the standards in full here, but in summary:

• A: In-game representation, themes and narratives
  • B: Creative leadership and development team
  • C Industry access & opportunities
  • D Player Base Development

Full Requirements:

Standard A:

IN GAME REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVE:

Detail how the video game will address under-representation in the lead and secondary characters, playable character rosters, casting choices, the main and secondary storylines, themes and narratives and where the game is set. Identify where there are unfamiliar characters or themes and narratives that are not frequently portrayed in games or are shown from a new perspective. Describe where there are complex and non-stereotypical representations of characters or cultures who are normally relegated to two-dimensional roles. Detail the perspective of the narrative or theme of the game and how this affects the way in which characters or cultures are portrayed.

To achieve standard A you will need to meat THREE of the criteria below:

A1 - Lead/Playable Characters

At least one of the lead characters will need to be from an under-represented group(s).

For non narrative game where the cast is an ensemble - the total roster of playable characters meets one (or more) of the criteria below:

• 50/50 gender balance
  • 20% belong to an under-represented group
  • 10% LGTBQ+
  • 7% D/deaf and disabled
  • Significant amount of characters featuring regional diversity
  • Significant amount of characters from lower socioeconomic backgrounds

You should explain where there are characters that are not frequently portrayed on screen and/or how the game is offering a non-stereotypical representation.

A2 - Other characters

The total of you secondary characters or principal non-player-characterrs (npcs) meet one, or more, of the below targets:

• 50/50 gender balance
  • 10% LGTBQ+
  • 7% D/deaf and disabled

You should explain where there are characters that are not frequently portrayed on screen and/or how the game is offering a non-stereotypical representation.

In addition, for narrative games, you should indicate these character's roles in the story.

a3 - Main storyline/subject matter.

The main storyline/themes/narrative of the video game is about under-represented group(s). The game should demonstrate this across the MAJORITY of the game to meet criteria.

a4 - A4 Other storylines / subject matter / featured character backstory

There are other elements of the video game storyline(s), subject matter or ingame character backstory that are about under-represented group(s).

a5 - Location

The setting is wholly, or partially, in an under-represented region or community. If the game takes place in an imagined or fantastical setting, please detail how this relates to real-world under-represented regions or communities. You should explain where there are settings/communities that are not frequently portrayed on screen and/or how the game is offering nonstereotypical representation.

a6 - Casting decisions / background non-player characters (NPCs)

Casting choices of voice artists that address under-representation and challenge tropes and stereotypes. For games that feature background NPCs or crowds, does the game ensure that under-represented groups are featured in significant amounts?

Standard B :

CREATIVE LEADERSHIP AND DEVELOPMENT TEAM

Detail how the video game will address under-representation in its creative leadership and/or development team. Identify the roles filled by people from an under-represented group, and the under-represented group they are from. Where short-listed or approached people are from underrepresented groups, you can also detail these. If there is more than one person in any role, you may describe how multiple underrepresented individuals are being employed in this role. Where it is too early in the process to confirm who you are hiring for roles, or you are in the process of recruiting, we would expect to see clarity of intention in regards to searching for staff from underrepresented groups. Where possible, your application should also demonstrate how you are changing your recruitment practices: how, when and where are you recruiting? Are interview venues and workplaces accessible? Do you offer additional support for specific access requirements, including travel? Are specific interventions being made for primary caregivers e.g. job-share opportunities, onset childcare, flexible working arrangements? You will not be asked to identify individuals by name Please note that, where the total development team size is less than 10, allowances will be made.

To achieve Standard B you will need to meet TWO of the criteria below:

B1 - Department heads

At least one or more of the following targets are met for the following Heads of Department or Creative Leadership roles:

Animation Director, Art Director, Audio Director, Creative/Game Director, Executive Producer, Production or Development Director/Manager, QA Director/Manager, Studio Director/Head, Technical Director

• A 50-50 gender balance

• 20% target for those identifying as belonging to an under-represented ethnic group

• 10% target for those identifying as LGBTQ+

• 7% target for those identifying as D/deaf and disabled

B2 - Other key roles#

At least one or more of the following targets are met for other key roles in the team:

Animator, Artist, Audio Engineer, Designer, Musician, Producer, Programmer, Sound designer, Technical Artist, Writer

• A 50-50 gender balance

• 20% target for those identifying as belonging to an under-represented ethnic group

B3 - Development Team / Supporting Roles

At least one or more of the following targets are met for the overall development team and supporting roles who are directly engaged by the applying company, including any individuals to whom work is outsourced:

• A 50-50 gender balance

B4 - Workplace practices

The development studio fosters a healthy and supportive working culture. This includes but is not limited to:

• Equality and Discrimination policies, especially when hiring

• Disciplinary and Grievance procedures • HR and mediation channels

• Adoption of BAFTA’s Bullying & Harassment Guidelines

• Adoption of Ukie’s #RaiseTheGame pledge

Please include details of any other relevant initiatives not mentioned above.

There are 2 other Standards but they are not applicable here.

My thoughts

If you are a historically-accurate medieval game then you are screwed I suppose.

Sources

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-09-bafta-aims-to-make-bfi-diversity-standards-part-of-the-british-academy-games-awards

http://www.bafta.org/sites/default/files/uploads/baftabfidiversitystandardsforgames2021pilot.pdf

Garbage. Now everyone will just have token "diverse" people to tick off on the checklist just to comply. Yeah, racism and diversity problems solved. Congrats. Why haven't we thought of this 50 years ago... So much diversity, so progressive!

Also the bullshit idea that everything has to be represented with 50/50 just needs to die already. Unless they'll also demand 50% representation of women in garbage collection, construction, sewer maintenance, remote oil rigs, fishing, deep earth mining etc, you know, all the nasty disgusting soul and body crushing jobs almost exclusively occupied by men. Of course they won't. They'll demand fancy leading positions with office and AC. Been there, seen that. 5-6 years ago or so. And they are still pushing this drivel. *Sigh*

i was thinking i might not 100% be against this if they are not asking for 50/50 and then the next quote i read says it needs to be 50/50 :/

Imagine finding out you only got hired because of your skin color/gender/sexual orientation/or whatever else, instead of your actual skills..... 

And how the heck are you even supposed to know if someone is LGBTQ+ ? I thought it was pretty much illegal to even ask that sort of questions to potential employees and really, it's none of your employer's business who you sleep with or what you identify as over your original gender.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

BAFTA is a joke anyway. They seem to care about representation more than about the actual products they are awarding. Imagine if we were picking "car of the year" awards based on gender of the designer who made the styling of the car, not based on actual design and styling. Or basing quality on sexual orientation of the worker who installed the engine instead of the engine itself and its characteristics. Absolutely hilarious and literally does the opposite of being inclusive. It makes sure people are segregated into these little groups that you can point with fingers at and demand certain % of them be in some specific role. IT'S NOT HELPING ANYTHING.

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

When you find out you only got hired because of your skin color/gender/sexual orientation/or whatever else, instead of your actual skills.....

And how the heck are you even supposed to know if someone is LGBTQ+ ? I thought it was pretty much illegal to even ask that sort of questions to potential employees and really, it's none of your employer's business who you sleep with or what you identify as over your original gender.

You know what "diversity" is don't you?

"Ze longer you werk here, diverse it gets"

(/joke)

But you bring up a valid point, it must be pretty insulting to know you got hired to fill a quote, rather than on your actual capabilities.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

When you find out you only got hired because of your skin color/gender/sexual orientation/or whatever else, instead of your actual skills.....

See, it's only illegal if you have the wrong intentions, and by that I mean not using anyone who's colored, not straight, not male, etc. for "diversity" purposes. 

It's so god damn stupid. My sexuality isn't something that needs to be shouted out. But apparently, it's progressive to shove it down people's throats like a dick.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So... there are game awards? Does anyone pay attention to them?

I'm wondering if qualifying for these awards is a strong enough incentive for any company to take action along the "A-B-C-D" dimensions, unless it's costless.

34 minutes ago, gloop said:

For non narrative game where the cast is an ensemble - the total roster of playable characters meets one (or more) of the criteria below:

• 50/50 gender balance

Wait, I thought treating gender as binary was an ultimate bigot, lynch-deserving thing to do. Should I update my online etiquette again? 🤔

39 minutes ago, gloop said:
  • 10% LGTBQ+
  • 7% D/deaf and disabled

I wonder how a game like Civilization does in this front: technically, every human past, present and future is represented? 🤔

At the other extreme, what is the stance on games that don't have people at all?

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm wondering if qualifying for these awards is a strong enough incentive for any company to take action along the "A-B-C-D" dimensions, unless it's costless.

For the stupid reskinned 'Game of the Year' editions which will get them 50% more sales.

1 minute ago, gloop said:

For the stupid reskinned 'Game of the Year' editions which will get them 50% more sales.

I didn't know it had that much of an impact. Is there a source for it?

I so know they release GOTY editions, but non-winners also release "Gold Editions", "Deluxe Editions", "Complete packs", "Ultimate", etc. Has anyone credibly measured the value of the award?

Let me get this strait. Choosing awards based on skin color, nationality, or sexuality is NOT racist or sexist? I am lost.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Wait, I thought treating gender as binary was an ultimate bigot, lynch-deserving thing to do. Should I update my online etiquette again? 🤔

I wonder how a game like Civilization does in this front: technically, every human past, present and future is represented? 🤔

At the other extreme, what is the stance on games that don't have people at all?

While they'll still find something to complain about, you make a good point about Civilization. But, since there is Warfare options, eventually those won't allow it to be considered for anything.

There's a good point about "quotas are always horribly racist" that applies here, but it'll be a good day when we run these terrible excuses for "competent professionals" out of our industries. They only understand their desire for complete & absolute power, so there's simply no negotiating with them about anything.  A quality Hobbesian failure to understand what will happen.

3 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Let me get this strait. Choosing awards based on skin color, nationality, or sexuality is NOT racist or sexist? I am lost.

Might I suggest reading up on the works of Franz Kafka?  Though maybe the Reign of Terror would be a better topic. We're just at the phase where they begin to execute their own for lacking the proper virtues.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

Movie: Guardians of the Galaxy

Summary of Race in Production: White, Celestial, Kree, Eternal, Zen-Whoberis, unknown human mutant, Racoon, Flora Colossus, Centurian, Luphomoid

The simple solution: add Catgirls to everything. The Weebs had this on lock down ages ago.

4 minutes ago, comander said:

https://time.com/lgbt-stats/#:~:text=More%20recent%20research%20by%20Gates,you're%20trying%20to%20measure.

So basically having double the number of gays is one way of checking the box. 

Which sends home even more that THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!

Racial quotas for universities in the U.S. were removed in 2017 or 2018 because we found that underqualified students were being accepted, thus ultimately being set up for failure, in order to reach these quotas.  Setting people up for failure based on race, regardless of socioeconomics, is counterproductive.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

29 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Might I suggest reading up on the works of Franz Kafka?  Though maybe the Reign of Terror would be a better topic. We're just at the phase where they begin to execute their own for lacking the proper virtues.

One really begins to wonder if physical execution is any worse than online-social & career exocommunication  nowadays.

I want more diversity in teaching, just as many right-wingers as left-wingers. As many capitalists as socialists.

Oh, and short people in the NBA, what's up with having all tall black men?