COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
12 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Is anyone gonna point out that we avoided the apocalyptic models predicted by medical researchers because of the lockdowns?

we avoided them because they where nothing more than a scare tactic. The fact remains the death rate of this virus is only 6% ...... Guess what that means???? There is a 94% of living. People need to get past this fear mongering and put on their big boy and big girl pants and get on with life.

Just now, Big Nav said:

we avoided them because they where nothing more than a scare tactic. The fact remains the death rate of this virus is only 6% ...... Guess what that means???? There is a 94% of living. People need to get past this fear mongering and put on their big boy and big girl pants and get on with life.

And you need to stop listening to conservative radio hosts who don't know shit about diseases and how they work.

Let's say there's.... 7 billion people in the world, and the death rate is 6%, as you said. That's 420,000,000 lives lost to COVID-19. Is that acceptable?

1 minute ago, Big Nav said:

yes, you know why? because I don't live in a fantasy world where diseases don't exist

So the families of 420 million people being ruined forever because they lost someone - or multiple someones - to a pandemic is okay to you?

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:

So the families of 420 million people being ruined forever because they lost someone - or multiple someones - to a pandemic is okay to you?

Don't expect empathy from people who are morally bankrupt. 

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Ah, yeah, my bad. I mean, there are people who value the economy more than human life, even in my state.

39 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

That's nothing more than a projection form you. The question was, is 6% an acceptable death rate for a wide spread pandemic, and I would have to say 94% survival rate quite good. 

6 minutes ago, Big Nav said:

That's nothing more than a projection form you. The question was, is 6% an acceptable death rate for a wide spread pandemic, and I would have to say 94% survival rate quite good. 

At the potential cost of millions of lives. 

I get trying to be optimistic, but thinking the death rate is acceptable just cause it's 6% is just awful. 

Remember that a 6% fatality rate is still thousands, maybe millions of people.

3 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Remember that a 6% fatality rate is still thousands, maybe millions of people.

that is indeed true, but you have to live in a word where that exist, you can either be paralyzed by fear or go on living. 

Just now, Big Nav said:

that is indeed true, but you have to live in a word where that exist, you can either be paralyzed by fear or go on living. 

I'm immunocompromised so I'd rather not take my chances.

That being said, I have a doctor's appointment in Taunton next Friday.

5 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I'm immunocompromised so I'd rather not take my chances.

That being said, I have a doctor's appointment in Taunton next Friday.

best of luck to you, I hope all goes well for you.

Just now, Big Nav said:

best of luck to you, I hope all goes well for you.

thanks, carpal tunnel is a bitch.

don't recommend it.

1 minute ago, Big Nav said:

It's not as black and white as you make it seem. There are many ways to deal with it, effectively saying "fuck it" and going abouts your day is not a good option to pick. Not to you and not to those around you.

Fear mongering and down playing are not helpful and may cause more harm in some cases.

Keeping your hopes up is good, just don't get carried away and start thinking it's all sunshine and roses when people are still getting infected with it.

Good luck to you and your family. 

6 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Something similar.

If the United States had begun imposing social-distancing measures one week earlier in March, about 36,000 fewer people would have died in the pandemic, according to new estimates from Columbia University disease modelers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-cases-deaths.html

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

23 hours ago, Big Nav said:

I think what you are forgetting is that, is that death rate acceptable where in it could be lower if measures were implemented? 

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-half-twitter-accounts-discussing-‘reopening-america’-may-be-bots

Scrolling through your Twitter feed, it may not be obvious when you come upon a bot account — something that is more likely to occur in the era of COVID-19. Carnegie Mellon University researchers have discovered that much of the discussion around the pandemic and stay-at-home orders is being fueled by misinformation campaigns that use convincing bots.

15 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I think what you are forgetting is that, is that death rate acceptable where in it could be lower if measures were implemented? 

Then why are the state that have opened up showing the fastest decline in cases - it seems like the measures are what have cause it to be worse than it could have been. 66% of NCY's cases came from people shut up in there homes sheltered and placed. I mean hell even the CDC has changed it stance on how it is even transmitted, I personally think these measures nothing more than a "show of safety".

1 hour ago, Big Nav said:

Then why are the state that have opened up showing the fastest decline in cases - it seems like the measures are what have cause it to be worse than it could have been. 66% of NCY's cases came from people shut up in there homes sheltered and placed. I mean hell even the CDC has changed it stance on how it is even transmitted, I personally think these measures nothing more than a "show of safety".

you need to take population density into consideration. correlation is not causation 

1 hour ago, Big Nav said:

it seems like the measures are what have cause it to be worse than it could have been. 66% of NCY's cases came from people shut up in there homes sheltered and placed.

This makes zero sense. You do realize infectious diseases require human contact to spread right? This means that if you take those same people that stayed home and had them go about their lives normally going about the city, coming into contact with hundreds of people throughout the course of their day, the number of cases would have been astronomical...

44 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

This makes zero sense. You do realize infectious diseases require human contact to spread right? This means that if you take those same people that stayed home and had them go about their lives normally going about the city, coming into contact with hundreds of people throughout the course of their day, the number of cases would have been astronomical...

The state of Georgia seems so show that is not the case.

3 hours ago, Big Nav said:

The state of Georgia seems so show that is not the case.

Ohhh you mean the state that manipulated their graphs to show a larger downward trend to convince the public that reopening was good...great choice there bro.

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Ohhh you mean the state that manipulated their graphs to show a larger downward trend to convince the public that reopening was good...great choice there bro.

what specifically did they do to manipulate the graph?