LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

28 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Have you considered using a VPN, even a super cheap/free one for your WU PCs?  If your connection pops out nearer to a healthier server it may well help.

My clients all run in containers on aws so my solution was pretty simple: shut down the Ohio containers and spin them up in another region. https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=955089

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

Woops; did not look it up lol. We are even more awesome than I thought!

No worries!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

12 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Feel free to go correct the guy lol 

Eh he's visibly not worth the effort.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Eh he's visibly not worth the effort.

I mean I agree, that's why I peace'd out lol 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I know this is not a Rosetta@Home thread but it is also about covit-19! They also have so many folders that they are struggling to keep up! Awesome!

image.png.ace8acb5c798141d0638739723f3289c.png

We all knew it would happen as Rosetta got some long on the folding train too!

Rosetta is a smaller project than F@H so they are overwhelmed more easily 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Yeah, but they are a lot less popular too.

Yeah, but they are a lot less popular too.

That's what I mean, folding is only able to expand so quickly due to the well known name and have so many people offer help. Feel sorry for any sysadmin atm for F@H or rosetta lol 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

That's what I mean, folding is only able to expand so quickly due to the well known name and have so many people offer help. Feel sorry for any sysadmin atm for F@H or rosetta lol 

Yeah me too. Did something like that ever happen on this scale? The non-availability of WUs I mean.

I really hope their teams get overtime... cause they did not see us coming.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Just now, 42thgamer said:

Yeah me too. Did something like that ever happen on this scale? The non-availability of WUs I mean.

Nope, F@H have hovered around 30-40K users for a very long time, they have never had enough compute before, now they have far too much, but they are catching up. Assigning 120K WUs per hour, also from my experience the size of the WUs have increased quite a bit. My guess to make them take longer and get more science done. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, LAR_Systems said:

I really hope their teams get overtime... cause they did not see us coming.

Mostly volunteers actually afaik 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

19 hours ago, Gorgon said:

I like the mining chassis for it's ability to run cards cooler. Currently the 6 GPUs I have in it are all running between 65-70C and at 46-60% fan with no overclocks and even with 5 Fractal 120mm fans blowing cooler air over the cards it is virtually silent compared to my dual rigs in large volume chassis (Fractal Define R4s & Define S).

With the mining chassis, how do connect all your cards? Because you need at least pci-e 4x right? Is it possible to split multiple cards to single pci-e 16x slots?

10 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Uhmm... but that made me think... maybe the E2160 what is too slow for F@H can work with Rosetta... will test that later!

Nope, F@H have hovered around 30-40K users for a very long time, they have never had enough compute before, now they have far too much, but they are catching up. Assigning 120K WUs per hour, also from my experience the size of the WUs have increased quite a bit. My guess to make them take longer and get more science done. 

I have noticed that too, getting some really big WU's and it's a good strategy on their part.

Keeps each of our devices busy longer, reducing the number of WU requests to their servers, increasing the responsiveness of those servers when you need the next one due to less per second hits.

I wish they would make massive WU... I would rather chew a 500 credit WU for half a day than do a dozen little ones.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

What a pity...

6x DELL PowerEdge R640 Server with DUAL Intel® Xeon® Gold 6252 190GB RAM and 12TB SSD RAID ready for delivery. (VMware ESXi)

...and no time to "test" them over the weekend 😭😭

Just now, LAR_Systems said:

I have noticed that too, getting some really big WU's and it's a good strategy on their part.

Keeps each of our devices busy longer, reducing the number of WU requests to their servers, increasing the responsiveness of those servers when you need the next one due to less per second hits.

I wish they would make massive WU... I would rather chew a 500 credit WU for half a day than do a dozen little ones.

They used to do bigadv WUs for CPUs but now most CPU WUs are bigger than that anyway.

I think maybe it's time they rolled out a bigadv GPU project, having WUs that take 12 hours but manage much larger protein or much long simulations. Will be interested to see how they go moving forward 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

I was under the same impresion since all the last WUs are with longer ETAs... makes sense!

6 minutes ago, mattheginger said:

With the mining chassis, how do connect all your cards? Because you need at least pci-e 4x right? Is it possible to split multiple cards to single pci-e 16x slots?

See BiFrost Link in my Sig

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

They used to do bigadv WUs for CPUs but now most CPU WUs are bigger than that anyway.

I think maybe it's time they rolled out a bigadv GPU project, having WUs that take 12 hours but manage much larger protein or much long simulations. Will be interested to see how they go moving forward 

This would be amazing!   For those providing massive GPU resources to the project might as well take advantage of it.

At least while they have so many people running 24/7 as dedicated hardware.

2 minutes ago, TrueMad said:

What a pity...

6x DELL PowerEdge R640 Server with DUAL Intel® Xeon® Gold 6252 190GB RAM and 12TB SSD RAID ready for delivery. (VMware ESXi)

...and no time to "test" them over the weekend 😭😭

have em sent here. i'll set em up :D