LG makes flagship phone with 3.5mm of space - LG G9 renders found

williamcll
On 1/4/2020 at 6:26 PM, Curious Pineapple said:

What's all the bullshit with how many cameras a phone has?

Its probably more effective than saying you can browse facebook and instagram with faster hexa core processors. Oh yeah and play candy crush on a smoother frame rate. Innovation man... if theres a gram somewhere to be had with how boring phones are... market the shit out of it!

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

Its probably more effective than saying you can browse facebook and instagram with faster hexa core processors. Oh yeah and play candy crush on a smoother frame rate. Innovation man... if theres a gram somewhere to be had with how boring phones are... market the shit out of it!

To be fair, I despise GUI lag... so the Note 9 vs some other older off brand phone... yeah, I notice the difference in candycrush my poison of choice.

Hahaha for a second I thought my next phone would be another LG but nope, notched display ?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Car hotspot? I've found those to be useless, just use your phones hotspot, it's not worth paying for another data plan to use it.

....why would he be talking about a car hotspot when we were talking about phones?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That was in repsonse to another post about car features, that was brought as a response to an "I don't need this feature so it's stupid" post. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

wish i could grab the innards and put them inside the body of the V10

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I got a G6 for more than 2 years, and to be honest, I don't see myself replacing it ... yet.

I mean, ok, update wise, LG fucked up big time because most users had to manually do the update and flash the roms, that is a fair point.

On the other hand, the G6 is bringing a lot of interesting and useful features while remaining notch free with a decent body ratio.

If I had a samsung S8/S9, I would have had the same opinion though.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

On 1/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, TechyBen said:

Space. The space prohibits the lense needed for a large sensor. That and cost. Lots of small sensors cost less than 1 large one.

I'm not asking for a huge APS-C size sensor, however i'd rather have one or two better sensors with zoom than lots of small sensors. Oppo made a 10x zoom phone camera with a periscope like lens, i'm sure the larger OEM's could figure out how to fit a larger sensor.

But lots of small sensors are more appropriate in every way, so nobody will do it...

BTW the "10x zoom" is as usual a misleading/false claim, the actual optical zoom is only 2-3x and everything after that is cropping.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 hours ago, dizmo said:

They could, but no one would buy it; Panasonic already tried that.

It also doesn't have wide angle, which many people find incredibly useful. They really don't take up that much space. Have you seen the battery size on newer devices? It's pushing up to 5,000mah which is more than enough for daily use when you factor in more efficient SoCs and fast charging. All while having even more camera modules than ever before.

No one would buy it because marketing more cameras in a phone seems to sell better, and selling people more cameras of course works better than putting R&D into faster CPU's or more room for batteries.

Ah yes, the headphone jack. Much loved by a few, that blow the fact it's being phased out out of proportion.

Being phased out because companies want to sell overpriced wireless headphones, and people buying the most popular phones have no other choice.

Yes, it's cheap to implement. The cost of the jack is pretty minimal, though even then if you factor it's cost across tens of millions of devices, getting rid of it is still a savings of pretty substantial proportion. That's not the main reason to get rid of it though. It's eliminating a point of failure from the device. Ports are, generally, some of the highest failure rate parts of a phone. Getting rid of it halves the mechanical force failure points. So it's actually raising the overall reliability of the device.

What is the cost compared to cramming more cameras into a phone? A physical 3.5mm port is no more prone to failing than the charging port,and by that logic we should get rid of a physical charging port too, because wireless charging is good enough even though it's terribly inefficient and heats up the battery.

I use both wireless and wired headphones, having a 3.5mm jack is nice if i want to charge and listen,or use a good pair of headphones without needing some adapter cable.

Also, funny you should mention the headphone jack, but not point out the fact that it takes up more space for battery than the camera modules do.

It does not, since LG can clearly include a headphone jack, and 4 cameras, OEM's really have no excuse to remove it besides marketing.

20 hours ago, dizmo said:

They could, but no one would buy it; Panasonic already tried that.

It also doesn't have wide angle, which many people find incredibly useful. They really don't take up that much space. Have you seen the battery size on newer devices? It's pushing up to 5,000mah which is more than enough for daily use when you factor in more efficient SoCs and fast charging. All while having even more camera modules than ever before.

Ah yes, the headphone jack. Much loved by a few, that blow the fact it's being phased out out of proportion.

Pretty much all of my friends that aren't really into tech don't even care. They just shrug their shoulders, and use the included adapter. Which I've never seen the issue of. If you use your headphones with your phone most, what's it matter if you have to connect an adapter to the end of it? It adds basically nothing to the length of the cable. Afraid you'll lose it? Tape the two ends together. Problem solved.

Yes, it's cheap to implement. The cost of the jack is pretty minimal, though even then if you factor it's cost across tens of millions of devices, getting rid of it is still a savings of pretty substantial proportion. That's not the main reason to get rid of it though. It's eliminating a point of failure from the device. Ports are, generally, some of the highest failure rate parts of a phone. Getting rid of it halves the mechanical force failure points. So it's actually raising the overall reliability of the device.

Also, funny you should mention the headphone jack, but not point out the fact that it takes up more space for battery than the camera modules do.

Sooo you've gone from cameras to mentioning something completely unrelated? Why?
And yes, using your phone through the cars inbuilt display is very useful. Most cars GPS sucks, and this gets around that.

I've used my WiFi hotspot several times to give internet to friends who run out of data.

Again, just because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's not useful.

The problem I have with no headphone jack is that I use my phone to listen to music while its charging. Also I know quite a few people who aren't techy that are pretty upset about them getting rid of the headphone jack. 

On 1/4/2020 at 11:12 AM, Levent said:

LG is extremely unreliable with their software updates. V20 is a rare treat where they actually released updates more than once. I had a G4 and I swore to never get LG again. That phone only had 6.0 update and literally never received a security update. They are much better off selling their phone department to google.

Tbh I hate android updates about as much as I hate windows updates. I would rather not get them if possible so that sounds fine with me. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Tbh I hate android updates about as much as I hate windows updates. I would rather not get them if possible so that sounds fine with me. 

well then enjoy your data being dumped, there were significant security issues between android 5 and 7 also, major android upgrades really refresh your user experience somewhat increases your phones life. If you dont like updates, I suggest you to get a Symbian S60 phone from 2001 or an LG android phone.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

21 hours ago, dizmo said:

Again, just because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's not useful.

Don't want to take things out of context, but IMO, same goes for the headphone jack.

3 hours ago, Levent said:

well then enjoy your data being dumped, there were significant security issues between android 5 and 7 also, major android upgrades really refresh your user experience somewhat increases your phones life. If you dont like updates, I suggest you to get a Symbian S60 phone from 2001 or an LG android phone.

Honestly not concerned about data seeing as I have no data worth protecting on my phone and the likelyhood of my phone being targeted seems low. As far as android updating user experience I would disagree. I hate change and would prefer that they change nothing that way I dont have to fiddle with figuring things out again. 

On 1/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, Murasaki said:

I mostly agree with you since I don't play mobile games except for Hearthstone (which isn't demanding). But the budget phone market has seen a huge bump in performance, and increasingly people want to know if they can play Fortnite and PUBG (which are very demanding games). In that regard the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro is damn impressive at around $200. It uses a Mediatek G90T chip which offers a bigger bang for your buck than your Snapdragon equivalent. I know you don't care at all, but it's no small feat.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I mostly agree with you since I don't play mobile games except for Hearthstone (which isn't demanding). But the budget phone market has seen a huge bump in performance, and increasingly people want to know if they can play Fortnite and PUBG (which are very demanding games). In that regard the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro is damn impressive at around $200. It uses a Mediatek G90T chip which offers a bigger bang for your buck than your Snapdragon equivalent. I know you don't care at all, but it's no small feat.

That's true. I bought a Huawei P9 Lite a few years back and now im with a P20 Lite thats better, has more features and cost the same. However this thread is about a flagship device which I couldn't indeed care less about.

See I'd be very interested in it, but I was one of the people who was hit with the Bootloop issue on my LG V10(May it Rest in Peace) and because of the rubber backing having peeled off, I wasn't able to Warranty it. So if that is a non-issue on the newer devices, once my S9+ has run its course I may switch back to something like an LG.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

On 1/4/2020 at 12:03 PM, dizmo said:

Just because you don't use them, doesn't make them pointless. You can have multiple cameras without having less quality. It's not one or the other.

Bad comparison, I'd much rather have push button start, as would most people I know :P

To each their own. Push button starts are completely pointless to me. All it does is add more points of failure that are more expensive to fix. It doesnt really offer anything positive except not having to put a key in the ignition....which takes very very very little effort as is.

But i dont see how any of this is comparable to losing a headphone jack. Most people dont use wireless headphones and many dont like it.  And its easier/cheaper to get wired headphones.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:31 PM, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not asking for a huge APS-C size sensor, however i'd rather have one or two better sensors with zoom than lots of small sensors.

I'm not sure I understand why you care how many sensors there are as long as you get good pictures. At least I couldn't give any less of a fuck about it, I just want it to take as good pictures as possible in whatever conditions I happen to be in at any given time, and how the phone manages to do that is entirely irrelevant to me.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Too bad LG phones arent more popular, my G6 had a better camera than my note9. Better sound too. 

3 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

To each their own. Push button starts are completely pointless to me. All it does is add more points of failure that are more expensive to fix. It doesnt really offer anything positive except not having to put a key in the ignition....which takes very very very little effort as is.

But i dont see how any of this is comparable to losing a headphone jack. Most people dont use wireless headphones and many dont like it.  And its easier/cheaper to get wired headphones.

Not really, push button start really isn't that different than the key mechanism itself.

It adds functionality. In newer vehicles, you can use your phone as a key. Or a smartcard.

If you're a woman, you can simply leave the keys in your purse, which adds to your safety; you don't have to fumble looking for them in the dark, you simply open the door, start the car, and go.

True, but there's many more that simply don't care, and will use the adapter.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Flat display? GOOD.

Can't even put a screen protector on my samsung, even got one of the "curved" ones, nope, it bulge out on the sides, simply doesn't adhere properly... Sure it's not really needed, but considering I managed to scratch my screen somehow regardless, I'd like the option, thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 hours ago, Beskamir said:

How much longer until manufacturers stop ruining perfectly good screens by cutting holes in them?

This year. Or next, if you don't want to jump in with the first batch of under display cameras.

3 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

No one would buy it because marketing more crappier cameras in a phone seems to sell better, and selling people more cameras of course works better than putting R&D into faster CPU's or more room for batteries.

Being phased out because companies want to sell overpriced wireless headphones, and people buying the most popular phones have no other choice.

What is the cost compared to cramming more cameras into a phone? A physical 3.5mm port is no more prone to failing than the charging port,and by that logic we should get rid of a physical charging port too, because wireless charging is good enough even though it's terribly inefficient and heats up the battery.

I use both wireless and wired headphones, having a 3.5mm jack is nice if i want to charge and listen,or use a good pair of headphones without needing some adapter cable.

It does not, since LG can clearly include a headphone jack, and 4 cameras, OEM's really have no excuse to remove it besides marketing.

...because the companies that make phones totally have a part in manufacturing SoCs, right? Oh wait. They're not Qualcomm. A majority of them also don't do their own battery tech, and the companies that do, are researching ways to increase battery capacity. It doesn't happen over night, and you don't dump all your resources into a single aspect of any device.

Or, you know. Just use the adapter included in the box ? There's lots of affordable wireless headphones out there as well. Doesn't sound good enough for you? Then you're probably someone who will pay the money for something better anyway.

You're missing the point. The fact is you're halving the possible points of failure.

More cameras give the phone greater ability. You retain all the ability the phone had before with a simple adapter if you remove the headphone jack. You can't add the features the camera modules give.

Right, it is. It also ads complexity to the device, a point of failure, both of which are remedied by simply using the adapter. It's pretty obvious why they'd rather steer you to the adapter.

What phone? It's likely either a much larger body, or the battery isn't that large.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The problem I have with no headphone jack is that I use my phone to listen to music while its charging. Also I know quite a few people who aren't techy that are pretty upset about them getting rid of the headphone jack. 

Yeahhhh that's a pretty niche case though. Like, charge your phone at night...and if you need to charge it during the day, just live without music for the 30 or so minutes it takes most phones to charge *shrugs* As we move forward, it seems like it's less and less of an issue.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler