[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Corsair CX uses Jilin Sinos too IIRC, the difference with PGM is in the rating, it's the same for 450W CX as for 850W P-GM, that's why the one doesn't blowup and the other does, that and maybe something else in MEIC's design.

Oh, come to think of it, I've asked this before.

They also seem to use other packages 🙂

Thanks for the help guys, regarding the Great Wall E750 Gold+.  If it were your machine (with i7 11700KF and a 3080), would you consider keeping it, or would you replace it with another PSU on the A list?

1 hour ago, SpicyUndies said:

Thanks for the help guys, regarding the Great Wall E750 Gold+.  If it were your machine (with i7 11700KF and a 3080), would you consider keeping it, or would you replace it with another PSU on the A list?

You got a warranty on the prebuild ? Then keep it, think what to do after it expires.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 hours ago, doubleflower said:

So what tier this should be? 

I don't participate in the tier list, but it's probably A or yellow B.

Putting aside the problems with 3000 series GPUs, are Seasonic Prime PX/TX still worse units than Corsair HX/HXi, especially units >= 850W ? Are the fans on Prime still worse than these of HX ?

5 hours ago, Pawlakbest said:

Putting aside the problems with 3000 series GPUs, are Seasonic Prime PX/TX still worse units than Corsair HX/HXi, especially units >= 850W ? Are the fans on Prime still worse than these of HX ?

Yes and yes. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Hello,

As a disclaimer, I have read the initial post and the "Legend," I have consulted the spreadsheet, I have used the search feature to review dozens of replies in this thread with the word "focus," and I still cannot determine whether the seasonic focus PX 850w (seen here: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-850-platinum-ssr-850px-850w/p/N82E16817151190?Item=N82E16817151190) is going to have an issue with a 3080 Ti gpu and cause the OCP to "trip". Does anyone know if the current seasonic focus PX 850w is 3080 Ti safe?

As an aside, I cannot understand what anyone means when they say to look for a newer Corsair RM series with a "triangle grille," I can't seem to find anything that even remotely resembles a triangular shape, and I have looked on Newegg, corsair's own site, and google image search. Is there any reason to go with a Corsair RM850x (seen here: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm850x-cp-9020180-na-850w/p/N82E16817139234?quicklink=true) over the focus? 

I understand that getting into build specifics will probably, and rightfully, prompt a response to make a thread. But does anyone see any reason not to opt for the seasonic focus PX 850w for a build using a 3080 Ti (likely FTW3), 5900x, 32gb Ram (Trident Neo RGB), X570 Tomahawk, NZXT X53 Kraken cooler, 2 m.2 nvme, 1 ssd? I would probably plan to do some OC (4.5 ghz 5900, 1900 mhz 3080 Ti), is 850w focus enough? RM850x? something else entirely?

Thanks for your time and putting this list together, even if I don't receive any response to my questions its been very helpful already!

1 hour ago, wootensims said:

As an aside, I cannot understand what anyone means when they say to look for a newer Corsair RM series with a "triangle grille," I can't seem to find anything that even remotely resembles a triangular shape, and I have looked on Newegg, corsair's own site, and google image search.

They mean the new RMx.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020199-NA

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-2021-power-supply-review

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, wootensims said:

and I still cannot determine whether the seasonic focus PX 850w (seen here: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-850-platinum-ssr-850px-850w/p/N82E16817151190?Item=N82E16817151190) is going to have an issue with a 3080 Ti gpu and cause the OCP to "trip". Does anyone know if the current seasonic focus PX 850w is 3080 Ti safe?

Neither can we, because Seasonic is silent, but it appears that the issue is limited to Prime series, particularly, Titanium versions at that. Regardless, 160$ for a 850W PSU doesn't sound like it would worth risking it, i'd look for something else, Super Flower Leadex III for example was one of cheapest 850W units last i checked.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

They released a new RM along with the 7000d/x launch which uses the same housing design as RMx 2021, just with the internals of RM 2019

Does someone here have a link to review or at least teardown pics of Aerocool KCAS Plus Gold? I have a friend who tempted to get it because it has unicorn vomit induced fans, but he wonders if it any good.

The other options are MWE V2 230v and Enermax Revobron, but since they are not flashy, they're low priority units for him.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

Neither can we, because Seasonic is silent, but it appears that the issue is limited to Prime series, particularly, Titanium versions at that. Regardless, 160$ for a 850W PSU doesn't sound like it would worth risking it, i'd look for something else, Super Flower Leadex III for example was one of cheapest 850W units last i checked.

But unless I am reading wrong, the initial post shows that the Focus (OneSeasonic refresh) PX, which is in the product in the Newegg link I shared, is highlighted gold. So doesn't that mean it is one of the best units in tier A, or am I missing something? It also doesn't have a [7] or [8] next to it. 

6 hours ago, basriwizz said:

So then this would be a quiet operation A tier PSU?

I guess I am also just not sure whether I should go with a 1000w 

2 hours ago, wootensims said:

It also doesn't have a [7] or [8] next to it.

Yes, because we don't know for sure if there are problems with it, we place these footnotes only if we are (as with Prime). It looks like if there are any number of reports with Focus and RTX3080/3090 shutdowns, there are too few of them. So that probably means that Focus, at least new revisions is safe, but personally i'd pick something else if the price is comparable anyway.

2 hours ago, wootensims said:

So then this would be a quiet operation A tier PSU?

Correct, and it's already in the list.

5 hours ago, pesekcuy said:

Does someone here have a link to review or at least teardown pics of Aerocool KCAS Plus Gold?

There should be some reviews in the spreadsheet, it's low-end Andyson platform, LLC resonant with DC-DC but still low-end, and there are no detailed enough reviews on any KCAS versions AFAIK. Avoid.

The only 'flashy' budget unit i'd recommend is Corsair CX-F RGB.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:09 AM, Elisis said:

Yes and yes. 

? Aren't both fans of HX and Prime made by Hong Hua?

44 minutes ago, Scania556 said:

Yes, but HX's fan controller is much much more mature and therefore HX essentially has better fan behaviour.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

22 hours ago, Scania556 said:

Doesn't Ford make the Fiesta and the Mustang?

Hey, I'm in the market for another PSU.  I'm still using the 650w EVGA GQ I got 5 years ago and it's working fine, but I noticed it was bumped down to tier c (I think all of the GQ's use to be tier B).  Any reason why?  I was thinking of getting another one of those since this one served me well. 🤔

On 10/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, LukeSavenije said:

Super Flower Leadex III Gold [HG] (pre/post 2020 y.)

Sorry if this is asked before, but how to differentiate pre 2020 and post 2020 versions?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Regarding OEM, internal parts, and performance. What are the top 5 1000~1200w PSUs in the Tier A list?