[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

12 hours ago, Juular said:

The latter, it's a low/mid-range PSU and i'm not even sure if 750W is enough for RTX3080Ti, it's practically a RTX3090. But i guess, if it's your only option then as long as it indeed works - keep it.

Just to add some info, I have a Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750w, with a EVGA FTW3 3080Ti and haven't had any issues, tested using Furmark and Prime95 on a 9900k with a 4.9Ghz all-core OC.

So the 750w depends on your power supply.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

@jonnyGURUAny significant differences between Corsair SF CP-902015 and 2018 ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

@jonnyGURUAny significant differences between Corsair SF CP-902015 and 2018 ?

What is a "CP-902015" (that's one digit short) and what is a "2018"?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What is a "CP-902015" (that's one digit short) and what is a "2018"?

Nevermind, i've seen two 600W Corsair SFs and for some reason forgot that there exists 600W versions of both SF Gold and SF Platinum.

When is Rev. 14.8 going to be applied to the tier list?

PC:

ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WI-FI | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Cooler Master MasterAir MA612 Stealth | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070Ti OC | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz CL30 | Corsair TX750M 80+ Gold | WD Black SN850X - 1TB | Lian Li O11 Air Mini | 7x be quiet! Light Wings 3 120mm

Peripherals:

FNATIC Bolt Wireless | Corsair HS80 Wireless RGB | Epomaker TH80 w/ Gateron Pro Yellows and YMDK white backlit keycaps | Fifine K658 w/ RODE PSA1 | MSI MAG241C Curved (23.8" FHD, 144hz) | Lenovo Legion G27q-20 (27" WQHD, 165hz) | Glorious XL Extended Mousepad

Chair:

Secretlabs OMEGA (League of Legends MSI 2019 Ed.)

1 hour ago, zoidzoid said:

Be quiet sfx power 3 = FSP sfx pro

Source ?

24 minutes ago, Juular said:

Source ?

Just guessing but pretty clear. Casing exactly the same and also the history of be quiets sfx.
Of course there maybe small differences bit 1 I predict is that Be Quiet will have worse capacitors as they pretty much always put 85c on their cheaper psu with short warranty, and their lower wattage model is 300w vs fsp 350w. I have fsp aurum 400w and be quiet e9 400w. Same psu but the FSP has 105c primary cap, be quiet 85c so they've done this before.

1 minute ago, doubleflower said:

So what tier do you think this belongs to?  Tier C?

Looks like, yep.

Just now, Juular said:

Looks like, yep.

The PSU seem to use a DC-DC + DF topology isn't it?

1 minute ago, doubleflower said:

Double forward for sure, whether it's DC-DC or double-mag amp i'm not sure, there could be switchers on the solder side, and small heatsinks sticking through it surely suggest that, regardless it's still tier C either way. Not sure if i want to put it in normal priority subtier, this review is barely sufficient.

2 hours ago, doubleflower said:

@Juular Seems like the VTE X2 Bronze has been reviewed:

@IIIIIIIIII

https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qc_qsz/views/1035282

So what tier do you think this belongs to?  Tier C?

It looks like a platform similar to the Micronics Classic II Bronze. (Made by CE Link! 😛)

https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qc_qsz/views/294903

2 hours ago, doubleflower said:

According to Micronics, it is a Double Forward/SR, 5V DC to DC, 3.3v mag-amp. Holy creepy...

Hi,

I'm new here,

is  Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550 V2 [MPE-5501-ACABW-BEU] a B tier PSU? is it good?

2 minutes ago, benzh15 said:

Hi,

I'm new here,

is  Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550 V2 [MPE-5501-ACABW-BEU] a B tier PSU? is it good?

A decent budget unit. However, in some countries, it is only sold for 230V. In this case, the tier may be lowered.

If you can get CX or CX/F for a similar price, that's even better.

1 minute ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

A decent budget unit. However, in some countries, it is only sold for 230V. In this case, the tier may be lowered.

If you can get CX or CX/F for a similar price, that's even better.

how many volt should i be looking for?
i'm in indonesia and that's exactly what was offered, 230v

i actually wanted a CX, or seasonic GC but both OOS, kinda frustrating lol

30 minutes ago, benzh15 said:

how many volt should i be looking for?
i'm in indonesia and that's exactly what was offered, 230v

i actually wanted a CX, or seasonic GC but both OOS, kinda frustrating lol

230V only means cost savings on the primary side of the PSU compared to free voltage. If the input voltage (AC) is unstable, the PSU may fail.

You can get more support by posting a new thread asking for help in choosing a PSU.

I'm buying a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum unit.  https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Continuous-PS-TPG-1200F1FAPU-1/dp/B077Z6DSXT/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=1000W+power+supply&qid=1627288736&s=electronics&sr=1-25

I can see that the iRGB 1200 is at the top of the list, and the Grand RGB is way lower. This is where I'm confused.

Here are the Cybenetics reports for both of them. 

iRGB: http://members.cybenetics.report:5050/d/cybenetics_xAT_eu.pdf

Grand RGB: http://members.cybenetics.report:5050/d/cybenetics_P3N_eu.pdf

Now the tests are very similar, but the thing that stands out is every single component is the exact same, on the primary and secondary sides, and the 5VSB circuit. The one difference is the main switchers on the Grand are A26N60EFL, and A25N60EFL on the iRGB.

They both got the exact same certifications as well. So what makes one any different, let alone that much better? 

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

39 minutes ago, daryoosh91 said:

So what makes one any different, let alone that much better?

Tiers A and B require OTP. Aris couldn't trip OTP on 1000W unit in his review even up-to 200°C. But on 1200W it tripped at 160°C, and on iRGB Plat 1200W it did too at 130°C. No idea why such discrepancies but this is CWT and i'm sure they know how to setup OTP properly it's probably was a request from TT to set it higher. That said, if it's still higher than 200°C then it's hardly useful at all but i'd probably move it back up to tier A as an exception in the next revision.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Tiers B and C require OTP. Aris couldn't trip OTP on 1000W unit in his review even up-to 200°C. But on 1200W it tripped at 160°C, and on iRGB Plat 1200W it did too at 130°C. No idea why such discrepancies but this is CWT and i'm sure they know how to setup OTP properly it's probably was a request from TT to set it higher. That said, if it's still higher than 200°C then it's hardly useful at all but i'd probably move it back up to tier A as an exception in the next revision.

Probably just Aris's testing.  😉

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Probably just Aris's testing.  😉

Maybe, i imagine it's not as simple as sticking the PSU in the hotbox and waiting until it melts. But his reviews are literally the only reviews in the web with OTP tests, so unless you or maybe GN start doing reviews with protection tests he's the only source we have.

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.

12 hours ago, Juular said:

Maybe, i imagine it's not as simple as sticking the PSU in the hotbox and waiting until it melts. But his reviews are literally the only reviews in the web with OTP tests, so unless you or maybe GN start doing reviews with protection tests he's the only source we have.

Things happen.  It's weird.

I was doing OTP testing the other day.  Threw the PSU in the chamber, increased the temp every 30 seconds, got to 70°C and it shut down.  Sent it off to the lab.  They said it got as high as 80°C and it never shut down.  Send it back, tested it in A DIFFERENT CHAMBER and got it up to 70°C again and it shut down.  I want to go to the lab to see what they're doing wrong, but COVID.... 😞

What about the cooler master mwe v2 B version? Should it go to the new B without any problems