[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

7 hours ago, monzon1992 said:

I just bought that psu, was it a good choice? or return it?

We really don't know, if it was stock TPK then it would've been good, but it's not. Doesn't look too bad overall but bridge diode seems to be too weak (for 650W version anyway) so the reliability under low input voltages is under concern, if you're not in the country with 230VAC mains i'd return it.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

We really don't know, if it was stock TPK then it would've been good, but it's not. Doesn't look too bad overall but bridge diode seems to be too weak (for 650W version anyway) so the reliability under low input voltages is under concern, if you're not in the country with 230VAC mains i'd return it.

I actually have an evga 450 gd (2017)  ando thhe GT arribe today, and i use 110v, this GT is better than My gd? In the tier list gd is in b.

29 minutes ago, monzon1992 said:

I actually have an evga 450 gd (2017)  ando thhe GT arribe today, and i use 110v, this GT is better than My gd? In the tier list gd is in b.

We don't know, there are no reviews on GD either. 2017 version is assumed to be FSP Raider II platform which okay albeit outdated but whether it's stock or not we don't know.

Also, actually, i've asked Jon about that 4A boost diode, it seems to be okay, just keep it if it was cheap enough. I've paid 50$ for it, that's a good price for a budget unit in my book. If it was like 70$ or more for you i'd rather swap it for something like Corsair CX-F or pay a bit more for something like Enermax Revolution DF or Super Flower Leadex III Gold.

7 hours ago, Sakee__ said:

Due to the part number, I would guess these are Excelliance MOSFETs (since their SBRs part numbers start with EMS).

Well, the logo is definitely Excelliance's, so i guess i call them that, although i still can't find a datasheet on them.

56 minutes ago, Juular said:

We don't know, there are no reviews on GD either. 2017 version is assumed to be FSP Raider II platform which okay albeit outdated but whether it's stock or not we don't know.

Also, actually, i've asked Jon about that 4A boost diode, it seems to be okay, just keep it if it was cheap enough. I've paid 50$ for it, that's a good price for a budget unit in my book. If it was like 70$ or more for you i'd rather swap it for something like Corsair CX-F or pay a bit more for something like Enermax Revolution DF or Super Flower Leadex III Gold.

Ty, i paíd like 55 USD for it in Amazon but i'm from México so i paíd like 65 USD in total with taxes, here in México the Psu are more expensive because a Lot of people Buy shit Psu like aerocool cylon :/, i could Buy a xpg core reactor that Psu is better?

11 hours ago, Juular said:

2073542225_EVGAGT.PNG.eee277e7dedbddbb92b2dfe0f0359012.PNG

Now I realized some things. This boost diode (C6D04065A) is an evolution of the C3D04065A (Wolfspeed SiC). It supports 9A @ 125°C (compared to 6A @ 135°C of the older generation), so I imagine it shouldn't be a problem.

And the rectifier bridge (this is a low forward voltage one) is the same used in the original platform, as Jon pointed out, a Micro Commercial Components (MCC) GBU15KL (15A @ 100°C, 800V).

1 hour ago, monzon1992 said:

i could Buy a xpg core reactor that Psu is better?

Core Reactor is definitely better, yes.

1 hour ago, Sakee__ said:

And the rectifier bridge (this is a low forward voltage one) is the same used in the original platform, as Jon pointed out, a Micro Commercial Components (MCC) GBU15KL (15A @ 100°C, 800V).

Yeah, i see now, the '1' is very faint, it is GBU15KL.

quick question, i can't find the "EVGA Supernova 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular" on the list.

4 hours ago, joaopt said:

quick question, i can't find the "EVGA Supernova 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular" on the list.

In this revision it's in tier A low priority, it would be moved to tier B low priority in the next revision.

3 hours ago, Darrick_CZ said:

please with tear is this PSU: Seasonic Focus SSR-750FM seasonic web Seasonic Focus SSR-750FM??? will be good for next gen graphic (AMD 7xxx or GeForce 4xxx) if they be in MSRP in 2022?

I'm sorry, no one in our team has phychic abilities as far as i'm aware.

Cree CSD/C3D fast diode is SiC tech . with extreme low reverse recovery compared to normal Si fast diode . so It's maybe a best in class 
btw : I think now time to switch to SiC tech. when I see the components sheet of EVGA psu 

On 7/15/2021 at 2:13 AM, Juular said:

What about the CX-gray? It’s $65 for the 650W right now (with rebate tho). Is it worth spending the extra $15 on it if I don’t mind returning the 650 GT?

(Also, thank you guys for doing this research)

32 minutes ago, OK01 said:

What about the CX-gray? It’s $65 for the 650W right now (with rebate tho). Is it worth spending the extra $15 on it if I don’t mind returning the 650 GT?

(Also, thank you guys for doing this research)

At this point, better create your own thread with all the info, your PC specs, your country, local online stores, your budget. CX is fine but for when you actually need 650W PSU it's probably not the best pick.

23 hours ago, Juular said:

In this revision it's in tier A low priority, it would be moved to tier B low priority in the next revision.

I wasn't able to find a decent review for this series of PSUs (EVGA GT 650/750). Is there one out there that my google-fu failed to find?

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

2 hours ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

I wasn't able to find a decent review for this series of PSUs (EVGA GT 650/750). Is there one out there that my google-fu failed to find?

No reviews, only a teardown, by me, on previous page.

Which of these is likely to be more reliable: EVGA 550 B5, EVGA 650 B5, EVGA Supernova 650 GA, Asus TUF Gaming 550W? They're all in the same category. I only really need 450W so either of these is fine in that respect, all I really care about is it not blowing up. The prices are all pretty similar for me except the 550 B5 is a little cheaper than the others, so I'm leaning towards that one, but then again the GA and TUF have a double ball bearing fan which is neat.

3 hours ago, 153494661273805047288 said:

Which of these is likely to be more reliable: EVGA 550 B5, EVGA 650 B5, EVGA Supernova 650 GA, Asus TUF Gaming 550W? They're all in the same category. I only really need 450W so either of these is fine in that respect, all I really care about is it not blowing up. The prices are all pretty similar for me except the 550 B5 is a little cheaper than the others, so I'm leaning towards that one, but then again the GA and TUF have a double ball bearing fan which is neat.

Probably ASUS TUF Bronze but there's no teardown on 550W version.

Is tier list outdated? It recommends be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum, the garbage power supply that lot of reviewers trashed in their reviews for that price (techpowerup, Guru3D, tomshardware, etc) and people should avoid. I was stupid when was building my PC in 2020 and did poor research before buying that PSU.

Anyway, I recently I got RTX3080Ti FE. Before that I had RTX2070. in a week of using new GPU my PC now restarts randomly in games, sometimes it takes hours, sometimes minutes.

I have Asus Crossahair Hero 8 as my motherboard and Ryzen 3900X with be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W as PSU. I can't say how shit that PSU is. I had problems with it from that day I build my PC with it. First of all EMI - it fucks up EMI so bad that my Studio Monitors would buzz whenever system was in any kind of semi-heavy load, like 4K video encoding or gaming. And I have those monitors connected to an external high quality USB DAC (Aduient ID14 MK2) with high quality balanced XLR cables. Still buzzed due to EMI from PSU on the line. Had to buy DI box to eliminate that. Some critical reviews actually mentioned subpar EMI handling and cheap components/design for Straight Power 11.

Not to mention it's inability to handle RTX3080Ti I guess due to very short spikes on 12V. Had to dig up my old Corsair RM650 which works much better with RTX3080Ti,haven't rebooted once in 2 days. Not to mention it also eliminated EMI on my studio monitors when connecting them without DI box, when I checked if it was better in that regard.

Corsair RM650 while works, is an old platforms and cutting it to close for me, since I run pretty beefy PC on top of ton of peripherals including power hungry DAC/Amp and ton of HDDs/SSDs.

I looked through recommendations on reddit and reviews on TechPowerUp/Guru3D. Seems like for my price range and wattage (~850W) best power supplies on the market are new RM850x (2021) and Asus ROG Strix 850W. Which is overall better? They put high price as a negative for Strix compared to Seasonic equivalent and RM850x, but in my region Strix 850W is actually cheaper than Seasonic Focus GX850 or Corsair RM850x 2021, not by much, but still 10-15% cheaper than Corsair RMx and 15-20% cheaper than Seasonic Focus GX (which doesn't make sense, since ROG Strix is based on Focus but with much better cooling and heatsinks). Should I get ROG Strix 850W or better pay 10-15% extra and get Corsair RM850x (2021 model)?

What PSU is needed for "Ryzen 7 5800x and Asus TUF 3070 ti" 750w or 850w

For 750W here are my options:

Seasonic FOCUS-GX-750 80 Plus Gold

Corsair RM750X 750W 80 PLUS GOLD in white CP-9020187-EU

CORSAIR RM750 750W 80 PLUS Gold CP-9020195-EU

ASUS TUF Gaming 750B 90YE00D0-B0NA00

For 850W:

850W PHANTEKS Revolt Pro 80 PLUS Gold PH-P850GC_EU

Corsair PSU RM850X 850W 80+GOLD in white CP-9020188-EU

56 minutes ago, Deprcrawler said:

Is tier list outdated? It recommends be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum, the garbage power supply that lot of reviewers trashed in their reviews for that price (techpowerup, Guru3D, tomshardware, etc) and people should avoid. I was stupid when was building my PC in 2020 and did poor research before buying that PSU.

Anyway, I recently I got RTX3080Ti FE. Before that I had RTX2070. in a week of using new GPU my PC now restarts randomly in games, sometimes it takes hours, sometimes minutes.

I have Asus Crossahair Hero 8 as my motherboard and Ryzen 3900X with be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W as PSU. I can't say how shit that PSU is. I had problems with it from that day I build my PC with it. First of all EMI - it fucks up EMI so bad that my Studio Monitors would buzz whenever system was in any kind of semi-heavy load, like 4K video encoding or gaming. And I have those monitors connected to an external high quality USB DAC (Aduient ID14 MK2) with high quality balanced XLR cables. Still buzzed due to EMI from PSU on the line. Had to buy DI box to eliminate that. Reviews actually mentioning how bad EMI is on those power supply and how they cheapened out on components for EMI.

Not to mention it's inability to handle RTX3080Ti I guess due to very short spikes on 12V. Had to dig up my old Corsair RM650 which works much better with RTX3080Ti,haven't rebooted once in 2 days. Not to mention it also eliminated EMI on my studio monitors when connecting them without DI box, when I checked if it was better in that regard.

Corsair RM650 while works, is an old platforms and cutting it to close for me, since I run pretty beefy PC on top of ton of peripherals including power hungry DAC/Amp and ton of HDDs/SSDs.

I looked through recommendations on reddit and reviews on TechPowerUp/Guru3D. Seems like for my price range and wattage (~850W) best power supplies on the market are new RM850x (2021) and Asus ROG Strix 850W. Which is overall better? They put high price as a negative for Strix compared to Seasonic equivalent and RM850x, but in my region Strix 850W is actually cheaper than Seasonic Focus GX850 or Corsair RM850x 2021, not by much, but still saving 10-15% cheaper than Corsair and 20-25% cheaper than Seasonic Focus (which doesn't make sense, since ROG Strix is based on Focus but with much better cooling). Should I get ROG Strix 850W or better pay 10-15% extra and get Corsair RM850x (2021 model)?

There is no reviews that covers great details such as EMI on the 850W+, nor I see any sort of reviews that "trash" it. 850W and above isn't the same as 750W and below. EMI MIGHT be a problem but we have no way of telling whether it's unit specific or production-wide. 

ROG strix does not have "much better cooling", it is cooler on some parts but the OG seasonic heatsinks does a better job of cooling the critical components that may experience thermal runaway. From the three I'd pick the RMx even though it's more expensive, because it performs the best. You might better be opening a new thread that you can give greater details such as where you are from and what shop will you plan buying from. 

On 6/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, jonnyGURU said:

I sympathize.  Availability is terrible right now.

For example:  I can't get Champion MOSFETs right now.  I'm doing second source analysis for HX to use Fairchild and CX to use ST because of it.

Japanese caps are the same.  Especially Chemi-Con since they had to close down their Malaysia factory due to a COVID outbreak.  Flextronics changed all their server PSUs to Jianghai and CapXon.  I can easily switch AX1600i to Jianghi, but they don't make every caps size/value needed and there's no way I can justify to end users why their $500 PSU has CapXon caps in it... so it looks like another shortage on AX1600i's.  We just got done qualifying a second source for gate driver ICs due to a shortage just last month!

Hi Jonny,

The only place I can find Corsair HX1200 right now is at outrageous prices from scalpers on Ebay who've bought up all the supply and are sitting on it.  Is Corsair going to limit how many units they will sell to individuals through their website when stock gets back in or is this going to end up like another Game Workshop situation, where only bots and scumbags get to pay retail pricing and normal people trying to build a computer get screwed over?

Joseph

12 hours ago, JosephN said:

Hi Jonny,

The only place I can find Corsair HX1200 right now is at outrageous prices from scalpers on Ebay who've bought up all the supply and are sitting on it.  Is Corsair going to limit how many units they will sell to individuals through their website when stock gets back in or is this going to end up like another Game Workshop situation, where only bots and scumbags get to pay retail pricing and normal people trying to build a computer get screwed over?

Joseph

Not sure why you think the scalpers are just buying their PSUs from Corsair's webstore.  The webstore inventory is actually very limited.  They're getting them from the distributors like D&H, Avnet, etc.  All you need is a tax ID and you can buy as many PSUs from them as you want.

There's a combo now with a EVGA XC3 3080 Ti and a EVGA 750 B5 - Would that suffice or would it barely do at all on a 3080 ti?

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, MultiGamerClub said:

There's a combo now with a EVGA XC3 3080 Ti and a EVGA 750 B5 - Would that suffice or would it barely do at all on a 3080 ti?

The latter, it's a low/mid-range PSU and i'm not even sure if 750W is enough for RTX3080Ti, it's practically a RTX3090. But i guess, if it's your only option then as long as it indeed works - keep it.