[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hi everyone! So my PSU died like 5 days ago. I had a Cooler Master v650 Gold Semi modular... It lasted 6 years and suddendly when i tried to turn my pc on.... it didn't. I took it out and I tried it on its own, it starts and continues but when i turn it off it keeps making a clacking noise. So i was thinking to buy a Corsair but when i saw this list i realized that it was a crappy one  xD  The thing is, I live in Argentina and prices here are ridiculous tbh, a corsair bronze cx650 is 11k (minimum salary in argentina right now is 28k so u have an idea) but I saw a good deal today, a cooler master gold mwe 650 non modular at 15k...  It is of course very expensive here but i would like to know if it is at least any good. I see it listed in tier B in black font  (not gray blue green or yellow), i mean at least its not in gray but could any1 tell me if it would be worth it at least? Thank you!!!!! 🙂

11 minutes ago, GisHaK said:

Hi everyone! So my PSU died like 5 days ago. I had a Cooler Master v650 Gold Semi modular... It lasted 6 years and suddendly when i tried to turn my pc on.... it didn't. I took it out and I tried it on its own, it starts and continues but when i turn it off it keeps making a clacking noise. So i was thinking to buy a Corsair but when i saw this list i realized that it was a crappy one  xD  The thing is, I live in Argentina and prices here are ridiculous tbh, a corsair bronze cx650 is 11k (minimum salary in argentina right now is 28k so u have an idea) but I saw a good deal today, a cooler master gold mwe 650 non modular at 15k...  It is of course very expensive here but i would like to know if it is at least any good. I see it listed in tier B in black font  (not gray blue green or yellow), i mean at least its not in gray but could any1 tell me if it would be worth it at least? Thank you!!!!! 🙂

cx650 (not the cx-m) is decent i would buy that and would nto bother with the MWE gold

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It launched (embargo lifted) back on the 5th and review samples were sent out.

Will the new CS also see reviews soon? Also what is its exact position? How does it compare to the TX-M?

24 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Will the new CS also see reviews soon? Also what is its exact position? How does it compare to the TX-M?

It's pretty much a clone of Cougar GX-F, with a different fan probably.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, Juular said:

Why are you overloading a PSU ?

Source ?

6900XT has 810W 80μs spikes and 670W 23ms spikes per frame according to FCPOWERUP. So I assume my SF750 works constantly at 700W+ because I only play 4K gaming.

https://www.fcpowerup.com/end-gpu-spike-peakpower/

This article.

5-8-1 listed both SF750 and CM V850 SFX’s overloading limit & issues.

5-8-2 showed SF750’s overloading issue.

Stupid n00b question about single-rail vs. multi-rail:

Is it correct to presume that a multi-rail power supply is more likely to shut down in the event of a high transient power spike, i.e. what happens with GA102?

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

3 minutes ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

Stupid n00b question about single-rail vs. multi-rail:

Is it correct to presume that a multi-rail power supply is more likely to shut down in the event of a high transient power spike, i.e. what happens with GA102?

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

depends on the rail configuration and if you use multiple rails for the GPU instead of 1. 

its a more notable issue on PSUs that are more sensetive to transient loads. 

18 hours ago, MelonGx said:

- SF750 has over voltage issue when overloading

Point?

If your 750W is outputting over 1000W, you need a bigger PSU.  If you need a 1000W PSU, you shouldn't be building an SFX PC.

Also, this:

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

7 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

How does it compare to TX-M?  LOL!  What?

4 hours ago, MelonGx said:

6900XT has 810W 80μs spikes and 670W 23ms spikes per frame according to FCPOWERUP. So I assume my SF750 works constantly at 700W+ because I only play 4K gaming.

That is some very incorrect assumptions going on right there.

Again:  This is why new threads should be started.  You're taking this one off the rails.

10 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

cx650 (not the cx-m) is decent i would buy that and would nto bother with the MWE gold

Hi, thx for ur reply ^^ I was thinking about buying it, but then i saw that several corsair cx650 bronze and cx550 (grey label, not M) had been reported to have exploded. So i that made me hesitate, that was why i was asking about the mwe gold 650 😢

In the Tier B list the Corsair CX is marked as gold. 

Now i have some questions:

1. Since the Corsair CXM are not listed, does that mean they should not be used?

2. Are the Corsair CX650 and Corsair CX650M the same? Both have the gray label.

3. Is the Corsair CX650M still considerd gold quality?

14 minutes ago, Higoka said:

1. Since the Corsair CXM are not listed, does that mean they should not be used?

It's listed, just not in tier B

15 minutes ago, Higoka said:

No. They are completely different, much like "car" and "carpet", despite both starting "car"

:)

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Point?

If your 750W is outputting over 1000W, you need a bigger PSU.  If you need a 1000W PSU, you shouldn't be building an SFX PC.

Also, this:

I found the answer myself already.

The replying is just to answer every question you guys asked.

So stop saying about creating new thread please. I’ll stop talking about this when you guys not to ask any further.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, Juular said:

LOL no. No idea what OEM it is but definitely not Super Flower. And that FETs mouting without any heatsink, sinked only by some solder on the daughterboards looks reeealy funky. Anyway, due to it being double-forward, Tier C LP.

Person who mentioned it was convinced it was leadex based, so much for that xD. Good to know it's nothing special, LC power is big here, widely available, and competitively priced, so a decent unit popping out like the older arkangel is helpful.

1 hour ago, Higoka said:

In the Tier B list the Corsair CX is marked as gold. 

Now i have some questions:

3. Is the Corsair CX650M still considerd gold quality?

I saw the cx marked as gold too but then i saw reports of  several of them exploding. The models that were reported to have  problems were corsair 550  and cx650 bronze. That's why I was wondering about the cooler master. 🤔

BTW CX-M is listed in tier C 

14 minutes ago, GisHaK said:

I saw the cx marked as gold too but then i saw reports of  several of them exploding. The models that were reported to have  problems were corsair 550  and cx650 bronze. That's why I was wondering about the cooler master. 🤔

BTW CX-M is listed in tier C 

There was a singular batch of CXs (CWT if I remember correctly) that were sold in Brazil that did end in "fireworks"; however, Corsair's manufacturing factory to store front pipeline was physically incapable of knowing about this problem (and don't expect any other brand to). 

At some point and time, TX-M, SF, and CX (Greatwall) did use same-ish insulator pads that included impurities in the material that would come / absolve out and cause shorting. This was not widespread problem, did not induce explosions as far as I know, and also has been rectified. 

7 hours ago, Mason Peterson said:

There was a singular batch of CXs (CWT if I remember correctly) that were sold in Brazil that did end in "fireworks"; however, Corsair's manufacturing factory to store front pipeline was physically incapable of knowing about this problem (and don't expect any other brand to). 

At some point and time, TX-M, SF, and CX (Greatwall) did use same-ish insulator pads that included impurities in the material that would come / absolve out and cause shorting. This was not widespread problem, did not induce explosions as far as I know, and also has been rectified. 

I see... So it would still be a good option... I did found a good deal... A Corsair CX650F Bronze Modular rgb at 15k... So between this one (650F), the cx650 bronze gray label and the cooler master mwe 650 gold...  The cx650f would be the best? 🤔

1 hour ago, GisHaK said:

I see... So it would still be a good option... I did found a good deal... A Corsair CX650F Bronze Modular rgb at 15k... So between this one (650F), the cx650 bronze gray label and the cooler master mwe 650 gold...  The cx650f would be the best? 🤔

Yes. CX-F ≥ CX >MWE V2

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

How does it compare to TX-M?  LOL!  What?

I was wondering if it was above or below the TX-M in the lineup. It was a useless question 😛

12 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Yes. CX-F ≥ CX >MWE V2

Thnx a lot 4 ur help 💕💕💕

Gotta love running a 6700XT on a B-Tier 750W CM MWE V2 Bronze :old-laugh:

"I have no manager. I can't be managed."

6 hours ago, GisHaK said:

Thnx a lot 4 ur help 💕💕💕

Sorry... I just realized it's MWE Gold, not MWE Bronze. I am blind.

However, the CX-F would still be a safer choice.

11 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

I was wondering if it was above or below the TX-M in the lineup. It was a useless question 😛

Way below.  Let's put it this way:  If TX-M was fully modular, it would be better than RMx.  😄

CS is basically, "system builder needs cheap Gold PSU to meet CEC requirements" here you go type of PSU.