[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, LukeSavenije said:

Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

Can someone explain this to me please, especially the last sentence as I do own a Seasonic Prime GX and I'm about to do a build with a RTX 3080 FE. Does the last sentence imply that post 2018 production of these Prime GX units do not suffer from this issue?

7 hours ago, woosh4q said:

Does that mean that platinum 1000W would be worse than 850W gold? Also what does low priority units mean?

There's a lack of detailed reviews on the wattage ranges you see in the low priority subtier, we've split them because they use somewhat different platforms. Overall, i'd say if it's cheap enough it's still a good buy.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Found my way to this tier list.  I bought my Seasonic PSU in late 2020 (November).  I'm having trouble reading the list and figuring out if my PSU is one of the ones listed as Gold or Blue in the list.

Here's what I have.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rmrYcf/seasonic-focus-px-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-px-850

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Also, is this PSU one of the ones tripping with 3080 TIs?

16 minutes ago, mrbeanz said:

Found my way to this tier list.  I bought my Seasonic PSU in late 2020 (November).  I'm having trouble reading the list and figuring out if my PSU is one of the ones listed as Gold or Blue in the list.

Here's what I have.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rmrYcf/seasonic-focus-px-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-px-850

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Also, is this PSU one of the ones tripping with 3080 TIs?

Maybe it will be fine... It is with the Prime that the problem is clearly reported, and it only happens on FTW3/FE.

If you've already bought it, try it.

8 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Maybe it will be fine... It is with the Prime that the problem is clearly reported, and it only happens on FTW3/FE.

If you've already bought it, try it.

Yeah, I've had the PSU since late 2020, but only recently picked up an EVGA 3080 TI FTW3 about 2 months ago.  So far, I haven't had any issues with the PSU tripping thankfully.

Between Be Quiet System Power 9 CM 600W, and Corsair CX550M, which one should I choose? I will be powering a Ryzen 5600X, with a GTX1070

6 minutes ago, Thanos_D said:

Between Be Quiet System Power 9 CM 600W, and Corsair CX550M, which one should I choose? I will be powering a Ryzen 5600X, with a GTX1070

CX-M, but it's not a particularly good choice for GTX1070 really.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

CX-M, but it's not a particularly good choice for GTX1070 really.

Any particular reason for going with the corsair? Also, using a psu calculator, the maximum wattage is calculated at around 285W. I see 500W recomended for 1070, so why shouldn't a 550W-600W psu be enough?

1 minute ago, Thanos_D said:

Any particular reason for going with the corsair?

It's full-range, so more powerful APFC stage at least.

1 minute ago, Thanos_D said:

why shouldn't a 550W-600W psu be enough?

It's not about wattage. I mean, CX-M is fine as long as you don't mind coil (or transformer rather) whine from PSU. If you do, you need to step up for something LLC resonant (i.e tier B/A).

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's full-range, so more powerful APFC stage at least.

It's not about wattage.

Would an TX550M be more suitable?

There's a new LC Power PSU (Super Silent Modular Series) https://www.lc-power.com/en/product/pc-power-supply-units/super-silent-modular-series/lc6750m-v231/

OEM is Super Flower and It seems to be based on a leadex platform (no clue which one). Hopefully u guys can confirm that, and generally just grade it based on the summarised component list, internal video, and screenshots that are available. I'll link the imgur gallery with all the screenshots every time he wrote something about a component first, then the video, with the time stamp if it's easier to just skip through it to check (the youtuber writes details about every component).

I just left the 3 most clear pics in the post itself for a general view of the PSU. There are also very clear pictures of the insides on the website. In short:

Full SMD components, 230v idle caps, 8x Y caps, 4x X caps, dual ferrite base coil | dual diode bridge 600v 16A, PSU on Power Relay, Teapo 560UF 400v,

105c Holdup cap | 2x Schottky rect 16A 650v, 2x 28A 600V Mosfet | champion CM6800 Switching controller | 2x Mosfet 28A 600V before transformer stage

schottky rect 60v 2x40A 12v controller | Sunrise Tech SRTO4NO16R regulation controller | 12x N-Channel 18A 30V 2x 3.3V 2x5V 6x 12V Mosfet for the rails | Polimer cap 12v coil filter, modular board with all polymer caps for rail, pfc coil with varistor, Ball bearing fan.

Here's an imgur link with the pics of every time he wrote out a part of the PSU: https://imgur.com/a/6ua5llI

the internal shots are from min 10:00 to min 17:19 in the below video for easier skipping

255679271_lcpowerleadex-Copy.thumb.png.35d9a1847fafd1da5785ed15733fe23a.png877300526_lcpowerleadex5-Copy.thumb.png.c94047b89081ab09de9511cb56fb5bd5.png

lc power leadex 7 - Copy.png

3 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

OEM is Super Flower and It seems to be based on a leadex platform (no clue which one). Hopefully u guys can confirm that

LOL no. No idea what OEM it is but definitely not Super Flower. And that FETs mouting without any heatsink, sinked only by some solder on the daughterboards looks reeealy funky. Anyway, due to it being double-forward, Tier C LP.

it use  TO263-2 package and heat dissipation via large area copper trace on PCB

seem  they save a few bucks when remove aluminium heatsink

this make me remember some RSY 88+ products

What are the changes between old corsair TX-M vs new one with with triangular vents? I'm often reccomend these for midrange configurations or if not available Seasonic Core GM. Is it worth to spend some extra money on new revision?.

1 hour ago, Sapphiree said:

What are the changes between old corsair TX-M vs new one with with triangular vents? I'm often reccomend these for midrange configurations or if not available Seasonic Core GM. Is it worth to spend some extra money on new revision?.

Is it being sold somewhere already ? No reviews yet so can't say anything specific about the changes, same OEM (Great Wall), different platform, i'd assume it's quieter too. Maybe @jonnyGURUcan say smth if it's not under NDA still.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

Is it being sold somewhere already ? No reviews yet so can't say anything specific about the changes, same OEM (Great Wall), different platform, i'd assume it's quieter too. Maybe @jonnyGURUcan say smth if it's not under NDA still.

https://geizhals.at/corsair-tx-m-series-modular-tx750m-80-plus-gold-2021-750w-atx-2-4-cp-9020230-a2584482.html?hloc=at

https://geizhals.at/corsair-tx-m-series-modular-tx650m-80-plus-gold-2021-650w-atx-2-4-cp-9020229-a2584402.html?hloc=at

https://geizhals.at/corsair-tx-m-series-modular-tx550m-80-plus-gold-2021-550w-atx-2-4-cp-9020228-a2584445.html?hloc=at

Austria already has them at some places. It also has two internal shots among the pictures.

Edited by DarkReaper969

PC:

ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WI-FI | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Cooler Master MasterAir MA612 Stealth | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070Ti OC | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz CL30 | Corsair TX750M 80+ Gold | WD Black SN850X - 1TB | Lian Li O11 Air Mini | 7x be quiet! Light Wings 3 120mm

Peripherals:

FNATIC Bolt Wireless | Corsair HS80 Wireless RGB | Epomaker TH80 w/ Gateron Pro Yellows and YMDK white backlit keycaps | Fifine K658 w/ RODE PSA1 | MSI MAG241C Curved (23.8" FHD, 144hz) | Lenovo Legion G27q-20 (27" WQHD, 165hz) | Glorious XL Extended Mousepad

Chair:

Secretlabs OMEGA (League of Legends MSI 2019 Ed.)

16 hours ago, f14 said:

it use  TO263-3 package and heat dissipation via large area copper trace on PCB

seem  they save a few bucks when remove aluminium heatsink

this make me remember some RSY 88+ products

Yeah.  Aluminum costs a lot more than a larger FET package.  I still wouldn't do it.  😄

8 hours ago, Juular said:

Yeah.  Not many changes other than the ID.

The usual stuff.  We had to add a couple SMT resistors in parallel on the input to meet IEC 62368-1 requirements, lowered the bulk cap voltage, used a different PWM IC, changed some of the choke coils and had the fan not spin at < 10% load in order to meet 2% efficiency requirements of 70% or better.  And, as usual, when you make minor changes to meet current standards, management see it and says "that needs to go into the new ID".  And since the new ID is somewhat restrictive, we changed the +12V SR from using AP TO220 FETs to more efficient Infineon TDSON-8 MOSFETs to reduce temperatures so we wouldn't have to crank the fan up.

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

@jonnyGURUSo it's already out in the wild ? Can we expect some reviews soon ?

It launched (embargo lifted) back on the 5th and review samples were sent out.

Can anyone tell me why Silverstone SX1000-LPT is in Tier C?

It is hard to find evidences on this post’s previous replies.

(Edit: NVM, I found the evidences on spreadsheet and realized that it has no OTP and its 12V ripple is bad - 70-80mV)

The reason I ask this question is

- There are only 3 SFX PSUs larger than SF750 - Greatwall TF850, CM V850 SFX, and this Silverstone

- SF750 has over voltage issue when overloading (12.7V on PCIe slot rail during 750-1011W load from my GPU-Z, normal is 12.2V), so does CM V850 SFX (12.7V during 850-1225W load according to FCPOWERUP)

- TF850 is actually an inferior SF750 so SX1000-LPT is the last hope

6 hours ago, MelonGx said:

SF750 has over voltage issue when overloading

Why are you overloading a PSU ?

12.7V during 850-1225W load according to FCPOWERUP

Source ?

12.7V on PCIe slot rail during 750-1011W load from my GPU-Z, normal is 12.2V

GPU-Z cannot be relied on to measure PSU output voltages.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler