How to prevent theft of PC Case?

rahimpchelps

Hi I need a pc at work. How do you prevent it the desktop pc from being stolen. any security measures

Your building should be secure should it not? Unless you assume a coworker will steal your PC, in which case bring it home instead of leaving it at work when you go. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, rahimpchelps said:

Hi I need a pc at work. How do you prevent it the desktop pc from being stolen. any security measures

This should do it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

there are two types of theft you could face, the first is a mofo stealing the entire case

some cases gave a point to put a safelock or a kensington lock, you could use that

if your case doesnt have that, consider just using screws and screw the pc to the desk

the other type of theft you could face is another mofo stealing ran, hard disk, internal components of the pc

on that case all you can do is try to put a safelock or a travel lock on the left panel, even if you need to drill a hole on the case and left panel, al depends on how dar you want to go

if your case has 5.25" bays, put something on them

i once saw a internet cafe pc without ram, the mofo removed the two 5.25" covers in the front of the case, pulled out ram modules and walked away with free ram

43 minutes ago, rahimpchelps said:

When I was on high school our PC’s they had this metal cable running from case to a lock, think it’s called Kensington lock or something 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Chain it to something.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Booby trap it.  All you need is some wires, an ignitor and a stick of dynamite.  The second someone tries to open the side panel or lift up the PC, it goes kaboom. 

You'll find that the remains of the PC and those of the thief will still be at the office the next morning.  The police will identify him/her eventually.

I'd suggest getting a big brick of lead or maybe steel and weigh the sucker down.

5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Booby trap it.  All you need is some wires, an ignitor and a stick of dynamite.  The second someone tries to open the side panel or lift up the PC, it goes kaboom. 

You'll find that the remains of the PC and those of the thief will still be at the office the next morning.  The police will identify him/her eventually.

I'm wondering how Wile E. Coyote would blow himself it. Probably wouldn't go off until he walked over to it.

Also some det cord or other form of plastic explosive would be preferable. More stable that way.

#Muricaparrotgang

I've seen both kensington/wire lock and using locked holder. But overall best is to keep rooms locked and monitor who uses room.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you need a PC at work your work should provide you with a PC

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

-

1 hour ago, Oso Sin Nombre said:

Proven to be very effective in preventing theft

Get one with RGB

image.png.e0e7b583acd62040c99f589569503b53.png

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

O M G !!!! O_o

Even the USB holes on top are RGB... ?

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

If you need a PC at work your work should provide you with a PC

no if he is a contractor and working alone, only with access to the building but without rights to use machines there

As a serious response, some cases include kensington lock locations on the back of them.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Something to mitigate/deter (i.e. not entirely prevent) thieves from breaking into your case. https://www.amazon.com/LINDY-Security-Screws-PC-Cases/dp/B000I2JWE0

image.png.d770b3deb3e1c489095fb71cebfe0db8.png

Never seen these before, but they're basically keyed case panel screws instead of the run-of-the-mill phillips style screws. It's not going to defeat a truly determined thief. As some say, locks just keep honest people honest. 

22 hours ago, aisle9 said:

With 50 pounds of concrete in it that should do the trick lmfao

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU