Notre Dame cathedral burning up, spire collapses due to fire

Delicieuxz

I didn't expect this today.

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on fire

Spire of Notre Dame cathedral collapses due to fire

Here's some footage of Notre Dame burning while the spire is still present.

As the spire fell.

Post-spire footage.

In other news, Ubisoft have released an update for Assassin's Creed Unity.

1161295966_ACUnitycomposite.thumb.jpg.13534ac9a4ad4d0eea096b732bceeefb.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

There are many comments on the articles assuming this was a terrorist attack, but it's super likely that this was an accident. The construction of the building makes it very susceptible to fire. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Very heartbreaking to watch. This was, and is a truly fantastic building. Hopefully it is repaired soon.

Sad day in History.

One magnificient Monment less in the world :(

The Tower just fell :(:(

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

We have a live feed on in my office. Horrible. 

It's hard to even imagine the historical and cultural loss. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

12 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It's hard to even imagine the historical and cultural loss.

Indeed.  Firefighters are trying to get as much of the artwork out as they can while trying to keep it under control, but the loss will be huge. 

A very sad day ...

I haven't yet seen an official statement of what started the Notre Dame fire, only mentions in news that firefighters have not yet attributed the fire to a specific cause but that it could be due to renovation work.

Reportedly, there have been many attacks on catholic churches in France the past few months.

Notre Dame fire follows months of arson, vandalism & desecration of French Catholic churches

While Notre Dame is undoubtedly the most well-known landmark to be affected, Paris’ second largest church, Saint-Sulpice, briefly burst into flames on March 17, the fire damaging doors and stained glass windows on the building's exterior. Police later reported that the incident had not been an accident.

“The images of flames in Saint Sulpice church this weekend are one more example of the violence committed against Catholics,” said Philippe Gosselin and Annie Genevard of France’s National Assembly, tying the incident into a wider trend of attacks on Catholic places of worship.

February saw a series of such attacks across France. In one incident, a cross of human excrement was smeared on the wall of the Notre Dame des Enfants in Nimes, the vandals also looting the church and spreading consecrated wafers in the garbage.

The same month, the altar at Saint-Alain Cathedral in Lavaur was set on fire, while statues and crosses were smashed throughout the premises. Two teenagers were later arrested in relation to the incident.

In another incident on February 4, a statue of the Virgin Mary was found smashed on the ground at St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Houilles, Yvelines. Just days later, the Eucharist was scattered and the altar cloth soiled at Church of Notre Dame de Dijon.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

There's still no official comment on how the fire started, and an investigation has now been launched.

Paris prosecutor launches official investigation into cause of Notre Dame blaze

The Paris prosecutor office has launched a probe into the incident, entrusting it to French judiciary police, which indicates that the investigation is criminal. The city prosecutor has attended the scene of the incident, while firefighters continue to battle fire on the remains of the iconic landmark.

French President Emmanuel Macron and PM Edouard Philippe have also arrived at the scene. The fire has disrupted Macron’s plans to address the nation and unveil a set of measures in response to the Yellow Vest protests.

This article suggests that handing the investigation to the police indicates that criminal motivations are being considered as a possibility.

I live barely 8km away from Notre Dame. I usually don't think much about it. This came out of nowhere..

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

As a someone with a professional experience restoring old buildings, this is really a sad day.   I hope they don't do the monument thing  (that would be insulting to those who built it) but build a replica as a tribute instead.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

44 minutes ago, mr moose said:

As a someone with a professional experience restoring old buildings, this is really a sad day.   I hope they don't do the monument thing  (that would be insulting to those who built it) but build a replica as a tribute instead.

Why a replica? The stone towers and the walls are still standing. Macron has already said they will rebuild.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Why a replica? The stone towers and the walls are still standing. Macron has already said they will rebuild.

I was talking if it gets to point it can't be salvaged. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A mosque was also set fire to in Jerusalem. They are not showing that on MSM, except RT.

https://www.rt.com/news/456655-al-aqsa-mosque-jerusalem-fire/

Something is wrong with the world right now where places of worship are being shot and burnt. Its happening on every continent if you look you will find news of either a mosque, synagogue, or church being attacked in some way. I find the construction accident story to be too soon to be believed. It was only about two years ago that someone tried to blow up Notre Dame. This is all I have to add to the growing conspiracy theories.

3 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

It has no practical use other than tourist attraction. Poor use of space.

The level of ignorance that oozes from this statement is astonishing.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

If everyone cared about every little thing and be sentimental there would be National Prehistoric Caves everywhere to make it a landmark or symbol of evolution. Earth is not that big to keep everything around. Graveyards waste space, all worship places waste space, parks, monuments. There is no use.

Yes because tourism in France generates pocket change.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

5 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Too much. Waste of space and money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_France

This thing you are talking about - life conditions etc. This applies here. France is the most visited touristic destination of the world. It's annual income from tourism is higher than total GDP of many smaller countries.

People go there to spend their money on food, hotels, travel, infrastructure, precisely to see this "waste of space", among other things. You'd have them put there a Carrefour or what?

1 hour ago, PrinceNorris said:

all worship places waste space

You are genuinely a very rude and hate filled person to even think this. You don't deserve to be residing on these forums then if you think those things, you're just wasting precious server space. 

1 hour ago, PrinceNorris said:

Graveyards waste space, all worship places waste space, parks, monuments, museums. There is no use.

I can see how you would form these opinions from being kempt up inside and only looking at a screen all day. Maybe it's time to actually go outside and appreciate things. I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but if it gives people something to live for, good on them. Graveyards and monuments exist to honour people and their achievements and as we should. Museums allow us to reflect and look back on how we got to where we are now as a species, history should not be forgotten. Parks exist so people dont go insane from living in a concrete jungle all their life, nature is beautiful and should be admired and interacted with, not paved over.

I would love to know what you think all these places you deem a "waste of space" should be replaced with?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

@PrinceNorris sounds like a fun person at parties.

"The human race is only allowed to concentrate on things essential for survival. Art and culture, history, faith, any such things are all unnecessary and wasteful" xD 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

rest assured there is already 300 million available for reconstruction

Yeah, so far they are leaning towards that idea. Though, the investigation is still continuing.

No sign Notre Dame fire was intentional – Paris prosecutor

A preliminary investigation into the fire which heavily damaged the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on Monday found no evidence that the incident was a case of arson, the city’s public prosecutor said.

“We are favoring the theory of an accident,” Remy Heitz told journalists. “No evidence indicates it was an intentional act.”