RED quietly removes any mention of modular accessories for the Hydrogen One

D13H4RD

Remember the RED Hydrogen One? The Android smartphone that was hyped over its display and modularity only for the device to be (finally) released and ended up being quite a disappointment? Well, another portion of the device, the modularity, hasn't been released yet, and at this point, we might be digging holes for it.

That's because recently, RED has quietly removed all mention of the modular accessories for the Hydrogen One from its website.

According to this thread on Reddit, a user has found out that RED has quietly removed all mention of the modular accessories on the page which promotes the Hydrogen One, especially when compared to an archived version of the same page made a few months ago. When asked, the company had this to say;

RED eventually issued an official update saying 'We are currently in the middle of radically changing the Hydrogen program.' According to company founder Jim Jannard, 'A series of obstacles and then new discoveries have given us the opportunity to significantly improve the entire program, not only for Hydrogen but also for RED.

Those changes include a change of leadership - the RED team, lead by Jarred Land, will now be fully in charge of the professional image capture program for Hydrogen - but otherwise the company provides very little detail. More information is promised 'soon,' however.

Given that there has been no mention of whether the modular components are still in development, there's no word on exactly when it will be released, if ever.

Source: DPReviewArs

Opinion

This is why you don't buy into fucking vaporware.

image.png

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

As much as I like the idea of a modular phone...
Yeah it aint gonna work unless those modules are supported on a wide range of devices, and for many years/generations. - And thats assuming the modules even remain relevant beyond the generation of phone they released with!
Neither of which is ever gonna happen in the phone market, much less from a new to the market brand like RED. It just doesn't make much sense otherwise, specially when the phone was already extremely expensive.

6 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I guess dbrand is right... 

Hahaha sick burn

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Wow. That's some shade.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Is anyone that surprised? Modular phones haven't been successful before and who thought RED could make them popular? Especially when the phone itself costs the price of a midgrade laptop. If I wanted to spend that money for a camera, I'd rather buy myself a video or DSLR camera and a small backpack from Amazon for it. (in fact I did this already)

19 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I guess dbrand is right... 

Smells like /r/entitledpeople to me. 

I'm not surprised they're hiding it, and that the phone isn't going anywhere. Sucks for the people that bought one.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

This phone is doomed, RED took too much time to launch it, the interest has vanished now.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

7 hours ago, gutz00 said:

Modular phones haven't been successful before and who thought RED could make them popular?

No one. The phone was never made for the mainstream market, it was made for owners of other RED products.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

How did they screw up a phone this hard? I don't think even the essential phone suffered from this much troubles.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Massive surprise that a $1,300 phone that really offered nothing groundbreaking never took off.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.