Samsung Announces The Galaxy S10 Trio

LAwLz

They look nice and all but I will stand by I will not spend a grand on a phone I'm perfectly fine with my S8+ for a long while.  Hell at this point I might go to a dumb phone before long.

I seriously want to see the reaction people have when I pull out a flip phone and they are all on their smart phones.  It would be like in Inception when all the dream people look up and stare at the people that shouldn't be in the dream.  ;)

Gonna hold onto my S7 Edge for a few more years until they figure out how to add that front cam underneath the screen. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

what ROM do people put on their samsung devices?

I always wonder.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

The oneplus 3t was considered a budget phone at $439. th oneplus 6t is now $549, the iphone 6s cost $549 at launch and the iphone xs $1000, phones have been getting increasingly more expensive for what I can see is no obvious reason, its the same with cpu's (9900k most expensive mainstream cpu), graphics cards (2080ti now 1200 when 1080ti was about 750) and just about everything else.

It seems like all companies are trying to exploit customers willingness to spend to the max, before we used to get a better product each generation at a similar price, now we are getting a new (im not sure if we can even call most new phones better) at a sky high price, people thought that budget companies like oneplus or better value cpu options from amd ryzen would change things, but sadly that is not the case.

17 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

It seems like all companies are trying to exploit customers willingness to spend to the max, before we used to get a better product each generation at a similar price, now we are getting a new (im not sure if we can even call most new phones better) at a sky high price, people thought that budget companies like oneplus or better value cpu options from amd ryzen would change things, but sadly that is not the case.

Got to agree.  Was looking at new phones with maybe the possiblity of finally upgrading from my old Turbo 2.  Yeah, nope, I'm going to stick to this phone for a few years longer (may see if I can't mod a slightly bigger battery into it).  I'm just not impressed with the specs nor the with the displays of newer phones.

What I been finding funny of late, co-workers have newer phones, complain about cell signal a good chunk of the time in the building. I'm sitting over here with my old butt Turbo 2 getting pretty darn good signal inside.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Got to agree.  Was looking at new phones with maybe the possiblity of finally upgrading from my old Turbo 2.  Yeah, nope, I'm going to stick to this phone for a few years longer (may see if I can't mod a slightly bigger battery into it).  I'm just not impressed with the specs nor the with the displays of newer phones.

What I been finding funny of late, co-workers have newer phones, complain about cell signal a good chunk of the time in the building. I'm sitting over here with my old butt Turbo 2 getting pretty darn good signal inside.

constantly changing phones has a enviromental impact as well since it creates a huge e-waste problem.

Sitting here with my sony z5 premium, Im not gonna lie, the new phones do have very nice screens and camera's that'll give an old dslr a run for its money, but with a lot of them not having headphone jacks, very ugly notches and sky high prices and bloated non-stock android skins, I'm really finding a hard time finding a phone that I am 100% willing to buy.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I actually really enjoy the stock one.

The big problem with switching ROM is that you lose the stock camera, which is by far the best one.

does samsung still put ads everywhere??

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

10 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

does samsung still put ads everywhere??

Not sure what ads you're referring to. I've had a Galaxy S2 and S7 and haven't seen any ads in those. And I consider myself very sensitive to ads and dislike them with a passion.

Can't comment on any of their other phones though since I haven't used them.

5 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Trade in your old phone and get up to £300 off (£350 for the S9+). Your S8 gets you £250 off. Quite a saving, since it can make one of the higher end models fall into the base models original price bracket.

My S7 Edge gets me £200 off any of the phones. It would make the S10+ 512GB (£1099 normally) £899 which is the same price as the 128GB model. Bargain.

The black ceramic S10+ 1TB is out of stock rn. Those went fast.

I hope they still have these deals in May because that's when I'm eligible for my contact to renew.

Gonna wait for Full reviews for all the phones on the market though before making the decision (I might even keep my S8+ for another year), but the list of phones with headphone jacks is [woefully inadequate male size joke here]

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I agree that value-wise they're still a bit ahead of iPhones because of more storage, better screen and the in-screen fingerprint reader (which spoiler alert: is a better way of unlocking your phone everyday than FaceID - deal with it). Still, those prices are too much and are a hefty increase over previous generation, even if they offer more storage space (which I doubt many people will fully utilize and actually benefit from).

Its about 100 dollars more for double the storage at the base spec. (Launch s9/s9+ to these)

Not something I'm happy about, but not something I'm very upset with either. 

Ofc the non-base spec is insane.

Glad to see Samsung gave even better internals, an even better screen, still included a fingerprint reader, and a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, while managing to make the phone slightly thinner lol.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Damn...

These oughta be Chromebooks at this point. Too much power IMO.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 hour ago, k.m.p said:

That's probably the harsh reality of the smartphone market. Less and less people are buying phones as often as before and they're increasing prices in an effort to maintain profitability on a product that is decreasing in terms of volume.

There is a point where it doesn't really work out.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

15 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I hope they still have these deals in May because that's when I'm eligible for my contact to renew

Hoping that my S7 Edge where things are starting to crash/not work will last till may.

Maybe a birthday gift. Would be just fine with the S10 base config imo.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

22 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

The oneplus 3t was considered a budget phone at $439. th oneplus 6t is now $549, the iphone 6s cost $549 at launch and the iphone xs $1000, phones have been getting increasingly more expensive for what I can see is no obvious reason, its the same with cpu's (9900k most expensive mainstream cpu), graphics cards (2080ti now 1200 when 1080ti was about 750) and just about everything else.

Ok, the iPhone XS is indeed ridiculously priced, but iPhone XR is quite nice actually. Ok, if we get past typical Apple idiocies of their eco system (like Lightning Port, iTunes for data transfers and weird design decisions in software or missing ones that Android had for ages), the XR feels really well in terms of build. You can really feel it's well built device. There is also privacy benefit of Apple devices which basically doesn't exist on anything from Google and VERY long term device support. iPhone 5s is what, 5+ years old now and it got iOS 12. A phone from 2013! Show me one Android device that has official software support for this long that's not Google Nexus/Pixel and even those don't have official support for this long. All of a sudden 800€ doesn't sound all that much given most Androids cost the same and sack support after 2 years at best. And XR is powered by the same A12 as found in stupid expensive XS and is still topping the performance charts despite SD 855 coming to market just now. 800€ for a phone that I'll be able to run for 5 years with latest software at any given time all of a sudden isn't all that expensive.

I know you can easily run outdated Android for 5+ years, but I always have crappy feeling running outdated OS missing software features new ones have or OS versions known to have exploits and security holes... I also hated Apple, but after Google forced me to ditch Android, I've re-evaluated the situation and it's actually pretty reasonable in the end.

1 hour ago, k.m.p said:

The 6s launched at $650 with the Plus being $750. The X at $1000 is more akin to the plus than the non plus when you consider screen size. Still a sizeable increase.

The 20 vs 10 series is a bit different though. If you look at the die sizes, the 2080 is larger than a 1080ti (550mmvs 470mm) and the 2080ti is significantly larger (750mm vs 470mm~). The RTX cores cost money in terms of both die space and RnD -- regardless of whether you care about ray tracing or not. New tech almost always carries an extra premium.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The 6s launched at $650 with the Plus being $750. The X at $1000 is more akin to the plus than the non plus when you consider screen size. Still a sizeable increase.

The 20 vs 10 series is a bit different though. If you look at the die sizes, the 2080 is larger than a 1080ti (550mmvs 470mm) and the 2080ti is significantly larger (750mm vs 470mm~). The RTX cores cost money in terms of both die space and RnD -- regardless of whether you care about ray tracing or not. New tech almost always carries an extra premium.

There was a price increase from maxwell, to pascal and now to turing, yes the die size is bigger on rtx cards but I highly doubt its enough to justify the price increase, I would attribute it to having no competition from amd in the high end gpu market- they had nothing to match the 1080ti when it launched and nothing to match the 2080ti at all.

Really happy I got in on the S9 fire sale around Boxing Day (Canadian Black Friday the day after christmas). My S9 came at a total cost of $210 CAD and I got to keep my special promo plan.

They could never convince me to pay this much money for a phone. The Galaxy Fold on the other hand at least has something of a reason to cost as much as it does. Realistically that should cost $999 and these flagships should cost $600. Remember back when flagships used to cost like $300?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

11 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Remember back when flagships used to cost like $300?

They were $300 on contract. They were still in the $600~ neighborhood off contract.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm gonna hold on to my 64GB S7 for a while longer, I think.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

15 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Really happy I got in on the S9 fire sale around Boxing Day (Canadian Black Friday the day after christmas). My S9 came at a total cost of $210 CAD and I got to keep my special promo plan.

They could never convince me to pay this much money for a phone. The Galaxy Fold on the other hand at least has something of a reason to cost as much as it does. Realistically that should cost $999 and these flagships should cost $600. Remember back when flagships used to cost like $300?

Flagships never really cost $300, though.  They subsidized that $300 price by locking you into a contract and quietly factoring device subsidies into their pricing.  I'm sure carriers use the shift to instalment plans as a way to mask rate increases, but those devices have regularly cost $700-plus.

Also, it's not so simple as claiming that phones should be cheaper.  The odds are that Samsung would be taking a loss on each unit if it sold the S10 for $600.  If you want flagships to cost that much, you have to accept that you likely won't get as impressive a device -- you'll get a OnePlus 6T with so-so cameras and a slow fingerprint reader.

Do people really need all of that in their phones though? I've been using a 6s Plus since launch and find little reason to spend anything more than $750 on a new phone. Even then, I decided to upgrade my PC to Ryzen 5 instead of replace my 6s Plus with a XR.

Think about it, what would you do on an S10 (or any new phone) that I can't do on a 4 year old flagship...... Is it worth $1000+? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

52 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Flagships never really cost $300, though.  They subsidized that $300 price by locking you into a contract and quietly factoring device subsidies into their pricing.  I'm sure carriers use the shift to instalment plans as a way to mask rate increases, but those devices have regularly cost $700-plus.

Also, it's not so simple as claiming that phones should be cheaper.  The odds are that Samsung would be taking a loss on each unit if it sold the S10 for $600.  If you want flagships to cost that much, you have to accept that you likely won't get as impressive a device -- you'll get a OnePlus 6T with so-so cameras and a slow fingerprint reader.

No they really did use to cost $300. I never sign contracts myself. $600 would not be a loss either

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I actually really enjoy the stock one.

The big problem with switching ROM is that you lose the stock camera, which is by far the best one.

It is an issue to pretty every phone with a custom rom on it, the LOS camera for example is...Uhmm..

Getting Google camera to work is a nightmare too and requires an insane amount of tweaking to get the same experience on typical stock roms, there are good examples though since some modded cameras like the gcammod actually improve the image quality from stock ROMs but still I have not found a perfect one which does not have bugs like missing slow motion or 60fps video on all my devices

Except on my old Nexus 5x but, since it is using the same camera as the stock rom...

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

No they really did use to cost $300. I never sign contracts myself. $600 would not be a loss either

You either did and you didn't know you did or you bought it at a discount. The Galaxy s2 was $600 for the 16gb variant iirc. The only way it was less was when you were on a carrier subsidized plan (which was virtually everyone in the US pre-2015~) or bought it at a discount.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler