Samsung Announces The Galaxy S10 Trio

LAwLz
4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Very difficult to find price tags in dollars because phones in the US market tended to be subsidized with carrier variants. However the price tag for an unlocked variant was north of $500. I personally paid something along the lines of $500-550 for mine. So you must have either have found an excellent offer, bought it refurbished or indeed have some sort of contract.

I didn't buy Galaxy phones other than the Galaxy Nexus. Personally I preferred the Nexus line which people did call subsidized (in reality Google just straight up charged less, took a small (reasonable) profit margin and called that subsidizing) HTC, Motorola and others had flagships too

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Breaking news!

The Bixby button on the Galaxy S10 is remappable!

Not only that, but they are going to port that feature over to the older phones (S8, S9 and Notes) too!

You won't be able to completely turn it off, but you can map it so that for example a single press opens Google, camera or any other app, and a double press opens Bixby.

Source: The Verge

That's a pretty surprising move by Samsung, but I am really glad they are listening to feedback even though it might not align with their own goals.

Other new software features that might be interesting (mostly courtesy of xda-developers?

Digital Wellbeing - A settings menu which shows you data about your phone usage. For example which apps you use and for how long, how many notifications you get and so on. It's actually based on a Google app by the same name, but now Samsung has baked their own version into the OS.

Double tap to wake - A very popular feature on other phones like LG's lineup. Double tapping on the screen turns it on.

Camera ring notification LED - The notification LED is gone, but now the pixels around the camera hole light up instead. So you don't lose any functionality.

Bright night (camera) - Samsung's response to Google's Night Sight.

Lots of other camera features and improvements too. For example suggestions for framing, a "super stead" video recording feature. HDR10 video recording.

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Breaking news!

The Bixby button on the Galaxy S10 is remappable!

Not only that, but they are going to port that feature over to the older phones (S8, S9 and Notes) too!

You won't be able to completely turn it off, but you can map it so that for example a single press opens Google, camera or any other app, and a double press opens Bixby.

Source: The Verge

That's a pretty surprising move by Samsung, but I am really glad they are listening to feedback even though it might not align with their own goals.

I think Samsung figured they'd have to be content with the Internet Explorer strategy of making Bixby the default and burying the setting to change it deep within some submenu with the hopes that the majority won't discover that it's possible to use something else. I mean it's usually successful as most people don't go looking past the default.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

I think Samsung figured they'd have to be content with the Internet Explorer strategy of making Bixby the default and burying the setting to change it deep within some submenu with the hopes that the majority won't discover that it's possible to use something else. I mean it's usually successful as most people don't go looking past the default.

Try using that argument for why Windows 10 should include more options and controls (such as manual updates) and people will call you insane and tell you how even old people go modify things in the control panel, even if you put warnings up and require multiple confirmations. 

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Try using that argument for why Windows 10 should include more options and control and people will call you insane and tell you how even old people go modify things in the control panel, even if you put warnings up and require multiple confirmations. 

Ah, I love those types of people.

/s

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

My beef with Android in general (except Nexus) is that this back-porting will never trickle down to older phones, because Samsung doesn't have control of it.  Carriers will shrug and say "we're not interested in supporting older devices".  On iOS Apple would say "we're doing this" and the update is there within 5 days even on your 2013 phone.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 hours ago, Doyniish said:

Up to 1.5TB total if i'm not mistaking, right?

only because legit biggest mSD card currently is 512GB

Should be able to go as far as 3TB when we finally see those 2TB cards

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

As if i give a fuck what tim cook says about defending the price of an iPhone of all fucking models lmfao.

They aren't actually spending the estimated BOM cost, like I explained about Samsung, even Apple has a fair amount of vertical integration and the biggest contracts and therefore the biggest volume discounts.

Well, you should care because the actual cost of making any phone, not just an iPhone, is considerably higher than what those BOM estimates suggest.  Volume discounts aside, the reality is that they cost significantly more than $250-400 to make.  Otherwise their gross margins would be upward of 200%, not closer to 35-40% like they are in reality.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Try using that argument for why Windows 10 should include more options and controls (such as manual updates) and people will call you insane and tell you how even old people go modify things in the control panel, even if you put warnings up and require multiple confirmations. 

Most people are somewhat scared of technology. They don't dare to deliberately mess around with things. When people mess up something it's usually inadvertently which is also why they have no clue how to solve the problem. Also because they don't read dialog boxes but that's another matter.

I already reserved mine from TMobile the other day. Going to be an amazing phone and absolutely cannot wait to see how the camera and next gen tech works!

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

On 2/21/2019 at 5:54 AM, LAwLz said:

3_678x452.jpg.474dbf9930c6ccebe3aa21173d5f6938.jpg

Yesterday, Samsung announced their next generation of flagship smartphones. The Galaxy S10 lineup.

The lineup consist of three devices. The S10e (the "budget" version). The S10 (the baseline one) and the S10+ (the larger model)

Changes to the S10 and S10+ compared to the Galaxy S9 and S9+:

• New design featuring a punch-hole/"Infinity-O" display. It's essentially a notch, but smaller.
  • Thinner and lighter than before.
  • An upgraded screen which is brighter (1200 nit peak brightness), more accurate and supports HDR10.
  • Larger screens but with a higher screen-to-body ratio to keep the devices a similar size as the S9.
  • Taller screens (19:9 rather than 18.5:9)
  • Exynos 9820 or Snapdragon 855 (depending on region)
  • 128GB of storage is now the smallest you can get, and it goes up to 1TB of storage.
  • 8 or 12GB of RAM up from 4GB.
  • Larger batteries (3400mAh vs 3000mAh for the non-plus models, and 4100mAh vs 3500mAh for the plus models).
  • 3 rear cameras. An ultrawide (new), a regular and a telephoto one (previously only in the S9+ version but now the non-plus has it too).
  • Improved front facing camera with support for 4K recording. The S10+ also comes with an additional front facing camera.
  • Support for 802.11ax (aka WiFi 6)
  • In-screen fingerprint reader using Qualcomm's ultrasonic technology.
  • Reverse wireless charging (the phone can act as a wireless charging pad).

The S10e loses these features compared to the S10:

• No curved screen
  • A 5.8" screen with a resolution of 2280x1080 (rather than 6.1" with 3040x1440)
  • Gorilla Glass 5 instead of Gorilla Glass 6
  • 6 or 8GB of RAM depending on storage, rather than 8GB on all models.
  • 3100mAh battery
  • No telephoto lens (so only 2 cameras on the back rather than 3)
  • A fingerprint reader on the side of the phone rather than the under-screen one.

Prices (model RAM/Storage):

S10e 6GB/128GB - 749 USD/Euro

S10e 8GB/256GB - ????

S10 8GB/128GB - 899 USD/Euro

S10 8GB/512GB - 1149 USD/Euro

S10+ 8GB/128GB - 999 USD/Euro

S10+ 8GB/512GB - 1249 USD/Euro

S10+ 12GB/1TB - 1599 USD/Euro

Sources:

Anandtech and GSMArena

Hyperinflation occurring in the smart phone market. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

So yeah, I tried one. 

2019_0223_20090600.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

So yeah, I tried one. 

2019_0223_20090600.jpg

WOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

How goes it?

How did you get it?

I thought this thing was only for the bigshots and the developers.

Won’t visit often..

1 minute ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

WOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

How goes it?

How did you get it?

I thought this thing was only for the bigshots and the developers.

They got them early. 

12 hours ago, wasab said:

Hyperinflation occurring in the smart phone market. 

It's a tad more complicated than that.

Part of this is Samsung doing what it does best, chasing Apple: if they're going to make more expensive phones, then we have to make more expensive phones, too!  Hell, they even built an iPhone XR counterpart, complete with brighter colours.

At the same time, though, I suspect this is also a reflection of the smartphone market as a whole.  Now that it appears to have peaked in the near term, companies have to find ways to improve their bottom line (and adjust for inflation) beyond simply selling more phones.  The easiest 'fix' is to sell premium models to those prepared to pay.