Samsung Announces The Galaxy S10 Trio

LAwLz

3_678x452.jpg.474dbf9930c6ccebe3aa21173d5f6938.jpg

Yesterday, Samsung announced their next generation of flagship smartphones. The Galaxy S10 lineup.

The lineup consist of three devices. The S10e (the "budget" version). The S10 (the baseline one) and the S10+ (the larger model)

Changes to the S10 and S10+ compared to the Galaxy S9 and S9+:

• New design featuring a punch-hole/"Infinity-O" display. It's essentially a notch, but smaller.
  • Thinner and lighter than before.
  • An upgraded screen which is brighter (1200 nit peak brightness), more accurate and supports HDR10.
  • Larger screens but with a higher screen-to-body ratio to keep the devices a similar size as the S9.
  • Taller screens (19:9 rather than 18.5:9)
  • Exynos 9820 or Snapdragon 855 (depending on region)
  • 128GB of storage is now the smallest you can get, and it goes up to 1TB of storage.
  • 8 or 12GB of RAM up from 4GB.
  • Larger batteries (3400mAh vs 3000mAh for the non-plus models, and 4100mAh vs 3500mAh for the plus models).
  • 3 rear cameras. An ultrawide (new), a regular and a telephoto one (previously only in the S9+ version but now the non-plus has it too).
  • Improved front facing camera with support for 4K recording. The S10+ also comes with an additional front facing camera.
  • Support for 802.11ax (aka WiFi 6)
  • In-screen fingerprint reader using Qualcomm's ultrasonic technology.
  • Reverse wireless charging (the phone can act as a wireless charging pad).

The S10e loses these features compared to the S10:

• No curved screen
  • A 5.8" screen with a resolution of 2280x1080 (rather than 6.1" with 3040x1440)
  • Gorilla Glass 5 instead of Gorilla Glass 6
  • 6 or 8GB of RAM depending on storage, rather than 8GB on all models.
  • 3100mAh battery
  • No telephoto lens (so only 2 cameras on the back rather than 3)
  • A fingerprint reader on the side of the phone rather than the under-screen one.

Prices (model RAM/Storage):

S10e 6GB/128GB - 749 USD/Euro

S10e 8GB/256GB - ????

S10 8GB/128GB - 899 USD/Euro

S10 8GB/512GB - 1149 USD/Euro

S10+ 8GB/128GB - 999 USD/Euro

S10+ 8GB/512GB - 1249 USD/Euro

S10+ 12GB/1TB - 1599 USD/Euro

Sources:

Anandtech and GSMArena

Oof. I get these are premium phones, but that's a helluva number to pay for a phone. 

I think brand is becoming a lot more important than the actual phone. Most mid-range android phones will be functionally the same as this but much cheaper. 

I predict Samsung splitting off from Android to be able to build their own ecosystem like Apple has done 

That's an F in the profile pic

The position of that notch gives me headache

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

S10e 6GB/128GB - 749 USD/Euro

S10e 8GB/256GB - ????

S10 8GB/128GB - 899 USD/Euro

S10 8GB/512GB - 1149 USD/Euro

S10+ 8GB/128GB - 999 USD/Euro

S10+ 8GB/512GB - 1249 USD/Euro

S10+ 12GB/1TB - 1599 USD/Eur

Meanwhile at Samsung HQ:
8m28820jr4nz.gif.a38d7ca80146327872dbdae1c641a74b.gif

And people thought the pricing of the iPhone Xs was bad, now Apple fans have a thing to come back on. Though to be fair, those specs on the S10+ are manic, my S8 is a 4GB/64GB setup, and now we have an S10+ a couple years later with 12GB/1TB, even if it is $1599.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

but does it have a headphone jack?

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes

Bought

Samsung starts to price their phones similarly to Apple. Which is obviously retarded, but hey, people will still buy those phones just like with iPhones...

My S9 (bought right at launch) costed the same price as the lowest-end S10e now in my area.

I wonder what the price for the highest-end Galaxy Note 10 will be... 2000 USD/EUR?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

And people thought the pricing of the iPhone Xs was bad, now Apple fans have a thing to come back on. Though to be fair, those specs on the S10+ are manic, my S8 is a 4GB/64GB setup, and now we have an S10+ a couple years later with 12GB/1TB, even if it is $1599.

Trade in your old phone and get up to £300 off (£350 for the S9+). Your S8 gets you £250 off. Quite a saving, since it can make one of the higher end models fall into the base models original price bracket.

My S7 Edge gets me £200 off any of the phones. It would make the S10+ 512GB (£1099 normally) £899 which is the same price as the 128GB model. Bargain.

The black ceramic S10+ 1TB is out of stock rn. Those went fast.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Samsung starts to price their phones similarly to Apple. Which is obviously retarded, but hey, people will still buy those phones just like with iPhones...

My S9 (bought right at launch) costed the same price as the lowest-end S10e now in my area.

I wonder what the price for the highest-end Galaxy Note 10 will be... 2000 USD/EUR?

Agree, some people will get mad only at apple, while Samsung is basically being the same
(Did this also in the past)

For sure the big price also should cover the costs of product placement

Edited by Guest

IMO those specs on the S10e, look like it's the better phone. Side mounted fingerprint scanner (though I guess not handy if left handed?), nice size/performance. And no curved screen!!! XD

But I don't like the through hole. Wait till 11/12 version, and hope there is no hold, or it's shrunk/invisible in use.

3 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Agree, some people will get mad only at apple, while Samsung is basically being the same
(Did this also in the past)

For sure the big price also should cover the costs of product placement

No offense. You can buy a NEW $200. Does Apple offer that? Like, no one is FORCING you to buy the top speck 1TB model... Oh, does Apple do a 1TB model? As always, people compare apples to oranges, then complain only one is citrus... or worse, expect both to be.

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Trade in your old phone and get up to £300 off (£350 for the S9+). Your S8 gets you £250 off. Quite a saving, since it can make one of the higher end models fall into the base models original price bracket.

My S7 Edge gets me £200 off any of the phones. It would make the S10+ 512GB (£1099 normally) £899 which is the same price as the 128GB model. Bargain.

The black ceramic S10+ 1TB is out of stock rn. Those went fast.

Yeah, my friend recommended I swap my S8 in-store for an S9 back when the S9 came out, but I held off since I couldn't warrant shelling out my S8 + £400 for a phone that was at the time barely a generation older.

I would look into getting an S10 8GB/128GB, but even with my S8 trade-in, it would still be a lot more than I'd be willng to spend on a phone. I got my S8 as a birthday present last year, and when I asked my dad how much it was, he said it was £450 factory sealed.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

at least they do it in a no-comprimise way

this is why i stepped to chinese phones for like 5 years now

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

at least they do it in a no-comprimise way

this is why i stepped to chinese phones for like 5 years now

I agree that value-wise they're still a bit ahead of iPhones because of more storage, better screen and the in-screen fingerprint reader (which spoiler alert: is a better way of unlocking your phone everyday than FaceID - deal with it). Still, those prices are too much and are a hefty increase over previous generation, even if they offer more storage space (which I doubt many people will fully utilize and actually benefit from).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I agree that value-wise they're still a bit ahead of iPhones because of more storage, better screen and the in-screen fingerprint reader (which spoiler alert: is a better way of unlocking your phone everyday than FaceID - deal with it). Still, those prices are too much and are a hefty increase over previous generation, even if they offer more storage space (which I doubt many people will fully utilize and actually benefit from).

and i agree on that... that's why i moved to huawei, xiaomi and many more years ago. they give the same or close to it for much less.

FYI: i have a mi8 rn and i don't feel like i made a bad choise for around 400 euro's

You know what I find funny?

Over here, the base Galaxy S10+ costs only a smidget more than the base iPhone XR

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The 5G model as well? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

and i agree on that... that's why i moved to huawei, xiaomi and many more years ago. they give the same or close to it for much less.

FYI: i have a mi8 rn and i don't feel like i made a bad choise for around 400 euro's

I personally decided to try a budget, flagship-like chinese phone for my work phone a few months ago and chose a Honor Play which is a cheaper Huawei P20 with pretty much the same specs besides a larger screen and a worse camera - it's a good phone for the price and has the same (at the time) flagship Kirin 970 SoC.
It is a bit slower and less-responsive than the Exynos 9810 found in my Galaxy S9 and the screen quality is obviously worse than the OLED on the S9 but it's also less than half the price so value-wise it's an excellent phone.

And since it's a work phone, I don't care about potential "spying" as it's not my concern :P

Personally, eh. 

I’ll just keep my Note8 and change the battery in it. The S10 honestly never interested me much and I’m not so willing to spend more than $600 on a phone anymore, not when I just got a $1499 camera.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

finally finger print sensor returns to the front of the phone

7 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I personally decided to try a budget, flagship-like chinese phone for my work phone a few months ago and chose a Honor Play which is a cheaper Huawei P20 with pretty much the same specs besides a larger screen and a worse camera - it's a good phone for the price and has the same (at the time) flagship Kirin 970 SoC.
It is a bit slower and less-responsive than the Exynos 9810 found in my Galaxy S9 and the screen quality is obviously worse than the OLED on the S9 but it's also less than half the price so value-wise it's an excellent phone.

And since it's a work phone, I don't care about potential "spying" as it's not my concern :P

ah, the play, nice choise

I kinda like the mi8 because it has almost everything: a good camera, oled screen, face id (without that stupid swiping), fingerprint scanner, usb type c, sadly enough no headphone jack

I think the prices for the S10 phones are quite good in Sweden. For example, the S10+ is $325 cheaper then the Xs Max! 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

2470 CAD rupees + taxes for the highest one. Yikes. Something is telling me that my boss will ask me to stick to the 128GB model!

Sans titre.png

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

Great phones no doubt, pricey too yes. Depends which model and range you aim with which spec and all. The ceramic is always appealing though. 

What dissapoints me is that they scuffed the display and didn't went for slim bezel instead rather than cam hole. It's a big turn off for such a device. I like flat display and even the entry model has that eyesore front cam hole in display. 

I'm fine with my S6 for time being so I'll wait what others will reveal throughout this year. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |