AMD Radeon VII Benchmark/Launch Mega Thread

Taf the Ghost
2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's a tweaked Vega 64. What were you expecting? It's a miracle they mostly got performance close to GTX 2080 given they used old(er) core design.

I was expecting the old AMD that actually created compelling new products. ?

About 6 minutes in, DF talks a lot about the actual use cases for 16 Gb of VRAM. The main thing to note is that DF clearly understands the Technical aspects of their Editing programs better than others. Haha

9 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

I was expecting the old AMD that actually created compelling new products. ?

I mean, their compelling products didnt sell. Why would a 100$ cheaper radeon 7 Sell?

Also given what they have on the table. They couldnt have made anything better at this point in time.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

About 6 minutes in, DF talks a lot about the actual use cases for 16 Gb of VRAM. The main thing to note is that DF clearly understands the Technical aspects of their Editing programs better than others. Haha

so this card might make sense if you actually do high-end video production for a living...like if you host a highly successful million sub youtube tech channel for example ?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

so this card might make sense if you actually do high-end video production for a living...like if you host a highly successful million sub youtube tech channel for example ?

The Vega SSG always seemed more useful for that, but no one ever seemed to get a hold of one to test it. But it is a good sign of where things are going, and DF has an appreciation for what further VRAM can allow for certain workloads. DF is a lot more technical than most of the YT video reviewers. And I do love their real-time graphs.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait for Navi. can't remember their roadmap, but if they're still on GCN iterations, that'll be on them ._.

They're transitioning to something of a hybrid system. The "GCN Problem" is interior limitations at the front end that limits how many SPs they can put in it. Vega was supposed to be the first big transition away, but RTG has been a mess for a while. Then HBM came out too expensive and Vega came in under the performance expectation.

21 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait for Navi. can't remember their roadmap, but if they're still on GCN iterations, that'll be on them ._.

gcn is only a problem if the configuration is bad, navi should not have the same problem as its under the limitations of gcn (as it currently stands with 4 shader engines), 

It's looking like an ok refresh replacement with decent performance over original Vega though. Having high amount of VRAM is great, though for this one they could've ended with lower capacity and lower the price along, would fit better. They have something new on top tier now, mainly to have something out there before Navi comes, which also seems it will be fragmented release with various tiers. Probably entire lineup replacement.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

What do they expect to change with this?  Is it saturating PCIE 3 now?

Nope but might be usefull for multi gpu if it wasn't dead.

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

It actually reminds me more of the orginial Titan because of the compute chomps this Radeon VII has.  Good at gaming but no slouch either when some compute work needs to be done.

And this is why I have bought one. Will be great for my simulation work and decent for machine learning. I spend more time on this stuff than gaming at the moment.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

I have no idea why someone would choose this over the 2080.  In the best cases it barely edges out the 2080, in performance averages it is 10-14% behind the 2080 depending on resolution. 

In my case I just like the radeon cards. I like how they look, and the AMD control panel is more complete, easier to use, and less clunky than Nvidia's control panel + geforce experience combo. I don't have any use for RTX or DLSS because those haven't been implemented in any of the games I play, if and when they become popular there'll probs be second gen RTX cards out. 

It should perform on par with the 2080 as well, especially once we get updated drives vs the buggy launch day ones, and then if I do any rendering for friends or anything it should beat the 2080 easily, it competes more with a 2080 Ti then. Not to mention the 16GB VRAM and memory bandwidth vs the step back the 2080 took by going with 8GB VRAM. I already have a 1080 Ti so I don't need a card that performs the same with less VRAM and is from the same manufacturer, the RVII should compete while having more VRAM and being more fun to tinker with because it's new. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

AMD simply doesn't bother to compete in gaming market anymore imo, Bullzoid said this in one of his video and i agree with that. 

No, its not that they are unable, its that people wouldn't buy the higher end AMD Card anyway as most "Gamers" only buy nVidia for no reason.

YOu see that here in this Forum all the time, where people rather buy a shitty 3GiB 1060 instead of an 8GiB RX470 or 570.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

So it's basically a 2080 with 16 gigs, that's nice.

A more future-proof alternative is at least something i guess.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, its not that they are unable, its that people wouldn't buy the higher end AMD Card anyway as most "Gamers" only buy nVidia for no reason.

YOu see that here in this Forum all the time, where people rather buy a shitty 3GiB 1060 instead of an 8GiB RX470 or 570.

Don't worry, this forum is plenty pro-AMD already. Much more so than about year and half ago when I joined.

Most people used to buy Intel as well before Ryzen and then AMD got their shit together. You can blame users all you want but until AMD does something really amazing in GPU segment, people will continue to buy NVIDIA. 

AMD needs to pull off a Ryzen in GPU.

They could've accomplished that much with this card if they halfed the RAM and dropped the price by 150-200 USD. But no, instead of using the opening NVIDIA gave them by making their GPU's more expensive due to RTX, they decided to match the price in order to fulfil some kind of weird fetish with 16GB HBM2 memory. It's obvious they are not even trying to compete seriously in gaming market because it's not that hard to do research how much memory is needed in that segment.

If I were in the market for a new GPU with 700 USD to spare, I'd have gone with a 2080 because of additional features and because I refuse to buy AMD out of pity.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I think it's absolutely lame and BS not one review mentions Quake performance.  Everyone's notes came from the same Cracker Jack Box.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

2 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

AMD needs to pull off a Ryzen in GPU.

They did, a couple of times.

Just look at how good Radeon HD7970 was compared to GTX680, especially in hinsight, what an awesome deal the Radeon would have been if you've gotten it. But people ignore all those facts and don't listen...

3 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

You can blame users all you want but until AMD does something really amazing in GPU segment, people will continue to buy NVIDIA. 

Radeon HD5870 vs. GTX 480.

GTX 480 consumed +100W (IIRC even in idle), people still bought it, although the AMD Card was the better one.

1,5 Generations Later (6k and GTX500 were more or less refreshes), AMD had a bit higher power consumption and now that was the issue. They didn't care about that with the GTX 500 and especially 400 Generation.

And the Radeon HD7950 and 70 also had +50% more Memory than nVidia at the time...

Same with Radeon R9-290 and GTX 780...

So the conclusion is that people lie and make up something to not buy AMD, even if it is a good deal...

So yeah, everyone that didn't buy AMD ever or whenever it is a good, viable Option.

7 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

They could've accomplished that much with this card if they halfed the RAM and dropped the price by 150-200 USD.

No they couldn't as that would be a VEGA 56 with a 7nm Chip.

There is no advantage in doing that.

And ordering 2hi HBM Stacks (the ones used are IIRC 4hi) would mean a seperate supply line for the "Consumer" Radeon 7...

And again, people are missing that they get 16 GiB VRAM!

Why ignore that point? Why claim that its not important?? 

The larger VRAM Cards were always the ones you could use way longer than the lesser ones...

12 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

But no, instead of using the opening NVIDIA gave them by making their GPU's more expensive due to RTX, they decided to match the price in order to fulfil some kind of weird fetish with 16GB HBM2 memory.

No, nVidia made this card possible with the high prices.

The "sources" say that Navi was delayed and the Radeon 7 is PlanB because of that. And because of the delay they couldn't talk about Navi (yet), that would Osborne their lineup.

The 16GiB HBM2 are due to supplyline, availability.

Why should they make a new supply line for a (probably) limited production run??
If they sell 100k of those, that's great!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

you would think that for a company finally releasing a high end product to complete with their competition that they have always fallen short next to, would have their shit together for the media release. the fact that they knew about the issues mentioned feels like they are more banking on people buying it because people dont like NVidia and would just buy anything else.

seriously, this is their flagship card, and they seemingly didn't care the problems they were still having when the embargo lifted.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No they couldn't as that would be a VEGA 56 with a 7nm Chip.

There is no advantage in doing that.

Clearly not entirely since Radeon's performance is higher than Vega 56 and it's not due to 8GB extra RAM.

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why ignore that point? Why claim that its not important?? 

The larger VRAM Cards were always the ones you could use way longer than the lesser ones...

Because by the time I need 16GB for gaming, a top of the line current card with 16GB will be lower end mid range. 

Again, I am not saying this is a bad card - it's just my take on why I think people are mostly meh about it. Rendering, compute aside - for consumer gaming it's mostly an OKayish premiere, nothing more.

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Just look at how good Radeon HD7970 was compared to GTX680, especially in hinsight, what an awesome deal the Radeon would have been if you've gotten it. But people ignore all those facts and don't listen...

Well yeah but unless AMD beats the fact into people's skulls nothing will ever change. Your solution is what, that they stop trying because "people will buy NVIDIA anyway"? That's not the way to take the market. They need to be relentless in their pursuit of market share. The alternative is to be angry, take your toys and drop the GPU segment altogether.

If they couldn't make the GPU cheaper with less RAM due to supply chains, then fine - it is what it is. But they have a recipe for potential Ryzen-esque premiere: make the same card with less RAM but same performance. Sure, people will probably buy more NVIDIA anyway but it's just how it works - their position is that of an avalanche. You can't put a stop to an avalanche just like that, you have to take it apart little by little.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

18 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because I care more about rendering, but it also will do better in games that I play too.  After seeing the blender results I am very pleased.  I mostly play arena shooters from id, other id titles, hack and slash games like DMC V, and so on.  The only game I have some interest in, where RTX is even going to be utilized at all, is Anthem.  But, that's not a game I am going to play a lot compared to Rage 2, Doom Eternal, Quake Champions, and Devil May Cry V.

I would totally buy the Radeon VII over standard RTX 2080.   The only reason I went with the Ti version is this is my last system based on what I have before a major upgrade.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

I haven't dug through the thread, but what I get from this, it's consuming more power than a 2080 and performing just a little worse than it?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

it's consuming more power than a 2080 and performing just a little worse than it?

Why does this sound familiar? ?

Spoiler

Vega 64 vs 1080

Fury vs 980

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

18 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

They did, a couple of times.

this is what is kinda a problem for them same with 290/x too

customers cant bet on fine wine electronics and cant guess where its going to happen too

7970 came in competing falling short and we all know if was optimized it would have blown the doors off nvidia

same with 290

releasing a product to closer to its full potential is a big deal

and kinda stiffles themselves especially when comes to them updating the performance but losing out on a sale

lets take the 290 for example was more recent

if  you bought one (which is still very capable card today)

came out running around 75% of its potential, benches/reviews/etc all have it losing to cards they are killing now but as a customer you look at those and buy accordingly

then with those updates which is nice(like said crystal ball like on which and how much increase) but you have to produce your next gen with enough performance and/or features to get them to buy next gen or 2 down the road

290 came into the world competing with the 780 and is leaving coming close to the 980

now if they had that from the get go they would have took over many sales

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why does this sound familiar? ?

Reveal hidden contents

Vega 64 vs 1080

Fury vs 980

gtx 1080 xddd lol

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

gtx 1080 xddd lol

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

snip snoop

Do you think driver optimization could help against the 2080? Or are the adrenaline drivers already pretty much peak?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I can't watch the video since I'm in class, but isn't the incident that got Freakazoid kicked out of c9? Simple is such a cuck, but man he's such a good player. #1 on HLTV's rankings for 2018.. 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra