Why I think Google Home spying on you doesn't really matter.

Xanthe_2871

My biggest problem is that the data can be used by people with bad intentions, to persuade or fool people in to believe things that is wrong, and therefore do something that they otherwise wouldn't have done. For example vote on a spesific person or even fight for a side of a spesific case that they wouldn't otherwise have done. Just because spesific targeted lies.

I know I personally wouldn't be affected by those lies, but I know quite a bit of people could.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

so heres the thing.  if they arent targeting you directly, then things are secure enough as long as you dont get phished.

if they ARE targeting you directly, then A: youre probably doing something you shouldnt be anyways, and B:there is nothing in this world thats going to stop them from getting your shit anyways.

personal security should be taken serious, but not so serious that you're walling yourself off from innovation.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

It's a difficult topic, but I think it's incredibly shortsighted to let Google and others harvest data without any second thought.

I don't really mind them using the information they have about me for advertising purposes, but the issue is that I will never know in what ways Google will end up actually using the data. With usage of personal information for advertising we're just talking about the tip of the iceberg, and that's the least concerning part to me. They will inevitably find other ways of using that data, and before I know what kind of effect that'll have on me, I'd rather try to reveal as little about myself as I possibly can, at least to individual companies.

9 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Of course, there are things that you do not want to share but I was not speaking about them ?

Well rest assure google and facebook already know all of that. People don't realize the amount of confidential info you say out loud that can be used against you. People mouth the words and letters to their passwords when they type them sometime or even whisper them. They could also say them outloud to someone in another room or over the phone. They could know your mothers maiden name, where you grew up, favorite food, and every security question possible. They could then just sell this data profile of you to the highest bidder. So you probably should care 

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

On 12/31/2018 at 12:25 AM, RejZoR said:

Saying "Coz they already spy on us everywhere we shouldn't care anymore" is the dumbest argument ever. And a reason why these corporations are pushing the boundaries even further with every passing day.

It's really not that hard getting away from these spying corporations and the last thing would be sticking their listening devices in your bloody home.

I've ditched everything from Google and I'm not using any social networks that are oversteeping their service space. Only thing left that I'm still using is Android device because alternatives are frigging non existent. Unless I go with Apple or a phone that is supported by LineageOS and use it without Gapps. In which case I might just as well buy a feature phone brick...

To my knowledge cyanogen has either died or is dying, but with Android being open source I'm sure someone has made a version without any Google stuff at all. So Android doesn't have to be tied to Google at all.

As for your response to my argument, it's fine if you're going to actively avoid Google, Facebook, etc. You seem to be, and that's great. But for the people who do use these services Google Home isn't really that big a deal. Yes, you are giving them more info, but it's not the final nail in the coffin. If you are allowing this spying everywhere else, with Google search, and YouTube, and Gmail, etc, then crying about Google spying on you with Google Home is just silly. BUT, if you are being smart about your online activity, more power to you, and yes, for you Google Home would be spying you should care about.  

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

I'm good. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The thing that's really got me about the 'Spying on you' paranoia is apart from maybe key word triggers.  How the hell is Google/Apple/Microsoft/Amazon supposed to PROCESS all the data they're collecting??  I mean, there's what? 100 Million devices all running the Google assistant? 2 Billion androids active per month.  There's been over a Billion iOS devices active (according to Apple) at some point.  Not to mention all the Windows 10 and Alexa devices out in the wild?

(I know this link is the verge, but they must be right sometimes ;)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/15654454/android-reaches-2-billion-monthly-active-users

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

8 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

To my knowledge cyanogen has either died or is dying, but with Android being open source I'm sure someone has made a version without any Google stuff at all. So Android doesn't have to be tied to Google at all.

As for your response to my argument, it's fine if you're going to actively avoid Google, Facebook, etc. You seem to be, and that's great. But for the people who do use these services Google Home isn't really that big a deal. Yes, you are giving them more info, but it's not the final nail in the coffin. If you are allowing this spying everywhere else, with Google search, and YouTube, and Gmail, etc, then crying about Google spying on you with Google Home is just silly. BUT, if you are being smart about your online activity, more power to you, and yes, for you Google Home would be spying you should care about.  

I'm not sure i understand the argument of '' everything else spies on you so just place a bunch of listening devices all over your home''. I don't want Google/Facebook/Microsoft/Apple to have my data, i'm sure not going to give them any more by buying smart home products.

I'd rather not sacrifice privacy when there are other solutions for controlling lights around the house, and would rather play media over my own home network. I unplug the mic on my desktop when I'm not using it, maybe a bit paranoid for doing so but at least I know it can't be spying on me through audio.

I also think using Google Search,Gmail, or Youtube is quite different than a product that could be recording at any time in the privacy of my home, I mean there have been reports of some smart home devices uploading private conversations and randomly sending it without any consent. Even if a person uses Google apps like Gmail and Youtube there should be concerns with placing smart home devices all over the house which can be hacked and used against them.

While I don't worry about privacy as much as I probably should and in some points agree with your conclusion, your reasoning is baffling. 

it is akin to "There are thiefs everywhere, so i might as well dump my valuables out on the ground since i'll be robbed anyways. We SHOULD hold companies accountable for their behavior, especially when it comes to leaks. And we shouldn't just bend over and accept the screwing.

Having said that the reason I sometimes agree with your conclusion is that I am an IT professional. I don't mouth passwords when I type. I don't have a computer with a webcam at all, and the only thing my phone camera will see is the inside of my pocket and my face when i'm looking at it. I don't put a bunch of private info online thru facebook or social media. I take care for what data I'm projecting. Because of that, I'm not too worried. But that doesn't mean I want them to have my data. I just understand that in order to have the vast wealth of free accounts and services that I use and even rely on in many cases, some data will be given. I know what i'm getting myself into and I am careful about it. 

I think more than anything, these companies should be held accountable and kept under scrutiny because many people are NOT IT professionals. They put passwords on sticky notes on their desk. They use the same password for every single site. They have their address and phone on FB, because how else will they invite friends to a b-day party. They are not careful, so they have much more to lose. 

To put it simpler, asking an acrobat to walk across a thin wall on top of a 100 story building isn't the best thing, but it's a reasonable assumption that as an acrobat they are balanced and skilled and careful enough to do it. To take that standard and ask everyone else who hasn't done a bit of acrobatics in their life to walk the same wall is just asking for some people to fall.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just found a report today how majority of Android apps just blatantly report user data to Facebook without anyone's knowledge or notification even if you don't use Fecesbook. Or want to. And they do this because everyone's just "everyone is spying anyway so I don't care". If there was mass outrage, they'd cut this BS asap. But since no one says anything, they'll just do whatever the hell they'll want.

41 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Just found a report today how majority of Android apps just blatantly report user data to Facebook without anyone's knowledge or notification even if you don't use Fecesbook. Or want to. And they do this because everyone's just "everyone is spying anyway so I don't care". If there was mass outrage, they'd cut this BS asap. But since no one says anything, they'll just do whatever the hell they'll want.

Well, there was that time not too long ago when everyone was outraged about Facebook when it was found out how easy it was for 3rd parties to pull user data from them. The Senate even questioned Zuckerberg about it. But then a week later everyone forgot about it and kept using Facebook.

2 hours ago, Inelastic said:

Well, there was that time not too long ago when everyone was outraged about Facebook when it was found out how easy it was for 3rd parties to pull user data from them. The Senate even questioned Zuckerberg about it. But then a week later everyone forgot about it and kept using Facebook.

That "questioning" looked more like a circus. Instead of giving these corporations an ultimatum, these same corporations were literally making fun of the questioners. Like I said, it was a circus. Sad and pathetic.

18 hours ago, Fooshi said:

The problem is not with the "I might do something illegal" part. All this data is most likely accessible to someone who should really not have access to it. Anything could happen, from data breaches to someone leaking everything about you out of spite, or "fun".

The notion of "they're already spying on me, why should I care if they spy more?" is horrifying.

Any company or organization that did that would not only publicly admit that they're spying on people (which would be committing PR suicide), they'd also get destroyed by lawsuits and whatnot. It would also result in a whole slew of extremely prohibitive (for the companies) laws being made and implemented. 

And again, it's totally undoable. Imagine the gigantic amount of highly reliable manpower (you couldn't hire just anyone for fear of someone blowing the whistle on your operation) that you'd have to have in order to spy on everyone's chatlogs, calls, webcams, and whatnot. It's completely impossible. Hence why Google & co are limited to gathering analytics. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:41 PM, GilmourD said:

We live in an age where people post pictures of their poop on websites to get it rated and then go on Facebook and complain about privacy.

Privacy works like it always has. Privacy isn't any different than it was back in the times of cavemen. If you don't want people to know things don't say it near them and don't tell people that you don't implicitly trust. It's not that tech companies are taking your information. It's that you're putting it out there.

Agree.  If you don't want someone knowing about your personal life, then don't post about it nor talk about it to others.

Personally, I have no interest in these types of devices.  They are neat, but I like to keep such devices to a minimum as much as possible.

Though, at my Guard unit we do get breifings about social sites, fittness trackers like fit bits, and these devices.  Basically, told to keep personal info down to a minimum if possible.  And in some cases, like the fittness trackers, told straight up to just leave those behind if going to certain areas.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 12/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, Giganthrax said:

9.9999999999999% of people don't do anything that's worth spying on for

"Give me 15 lines written by the most honest of men, and I shall find something (within) to hang them." - Torquemada, Spanish Inquisitor

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Fooshi said:

A massive datadump does not care about your manpower.

Yeah, and who's going to actually inspect all that stuff? Billions of hours of recordings, chatlogs, video playback, etc.

There's no AI advanced enough to do it yet. So it would have to be actual people going through all that. I just can't see it happening unless the Illuminati are spying on a specific person and looking for very specific things. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy and I wanted to properly address things.

@Teddy07 I think that's how a lot of people feel. It's not right, but this sort of acceptance is only natural. People have a lot to worry about and this just isn't a big enough deal for a lot of them.

@e1aek Very well said!

@airdeano I'm no legal expert, but I've heard before that outrageous stipulations in agreements can be overturned in court. If you buy a lawn mower at Lowes and sign off for drop off without reading the terms, and it says in the terms that signing allows Lowes to come back at any time and take the mower way from you to resell it, a court would probably side with you. That's not illegal, you did agree, but it's so unreasonable the judge can use his or her discretion to throw out that part of the agreement and force Lowes to return the mower. 

I would not be surprised if something similar happens with these EULA's and similar, where a court sets legal precedent by throwing out agreements that clearly were written to be hard to understand, or presented in such a way that a typical person wouldn't read them. The laws just aren't that black and white, just because you click I agree or you use a product doesn't mean that company is protected in doing whatever they want with your data. Even with expensive lawyers and lobbying, the people will win. I think.

@Ryzza5 LOL yes I'd say that's a great point.

@RorzNZ How do you know your phone isn't storing data locally then uploading when service is restored? 

@Razor Blade Will that data mining assist Google AI's when they rise to enslave or kill us all?

@BuckGup I see your point but those are apples and oranges. Google Home isn't charging your cards for things you didn't buy. People should care, maybe. It's a balance, because you can't have your cake and eat it too. Clearly the vast majority of people, be it knowingly or in ignorance, have said we want convenience over privacy. Not everyone, but enough that it's very hard to undo at this point. It CAN be done, but it's going to take a lot more work than someone using a flip phone instead of a smartphone.

@Java That's a good point! But they still find a way!

@Mihle You're hitting on something very big indeed. I believe fake news, lies, however you choose to phrase it, will become an increasingly significant threat. I mean, this isn't even held to politics. Just look at the events of the last month. Some YouTuber posts a video about Smash Bros getting Mexico in trouble with Nintendo, and a week later people all over the internet are talking about Nintendo banning the entire country of Mexico from selling their products. That just shows you how dangerous this can get. That said, I just don't think Google Home is the tipping point. We can do something about this, or not, but Google Home is such a small part of the picture. Personally, I'm not going to stand up and fight this. It just doesn't matter enough to me. Meanwhile, I want that convince. But I respect your opinion. 

@Tsuki I agree, hackers or gov or corps can get whatever they need if they really want to. Don't do bad stuff ?

@Kevaros Is it shortsighted? Probably yes. But what can we do? As long as the masses accept it, I don't see any movements working. These companies have too much influence. Now, get people to see the bad in this, and get them invested, and they will win, but is that going to happen? Probably not.

@Blademaster91 Yeah, I understand what you're saying. All I can say is: if Google wants to know what you're talking to your spouse about, Google will know. Google Home makes it easier, sure, but they will still find out another way. So I see two choices. 1) Avoid Google and similar tech all you can. 2) Give in and embrace all the services they offer. I don't really see the point of being in the middle.

@Jtalk4456 I understand your reasoning. You have to pick your battles in life. In this case, if we consider Google to be the thief then I can block out Google altogether, or I can put up with the theft. Google is like a good friend who steals from you. You can call the cops, or just stop hanging out with them... or you can accept the good with the bad and replace whatever they take. There is no counseling option here. No deep serious conversation about your friend's habits. Google is taking whatever it wants to take, and you can allow it or not.

@Nicnac That's quite possible.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy and I wanted to properly address things.

@Razor Blade Will that data mining assist Google AI's when they rise to enslave or kill us all? 

I guess? Remember...the T-800 was an infiltration unit equipped with a learning computer...this was a concept thought up long before people believed AI would be that advanced.

However Google's AI will most likely continue to work on learning about you in order to keep selling you stuff you never knew you needed.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Isn't this the type of thinking that'll let these companies go foward with this?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

3 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Isn't this the type of thinking that'll let these companies go foward with this?

Many people have no problems giving up privacy, security, and all their personal information for a convenient service or free stuff. The sad thing is those people have no idea how valuable personal data actually is.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

The following is my opinion, if it wasn't obvious. As a law student I hope to bring my own insight.

Data collected from Alex and Google Home have been used to solve and convict multiple murder cases and murderers. May it be through an accidental trigger, or passive listening just after a command; it is an incredibly useful 21st century tool in cracking cases that may have gone cold otherwise.

But, I doubt anybody on this forum is a murderer. So, that may never apply to you personally.

In reality, what will a Google Home collect assuming it's always listening and processing words? Boring conversations with your parents/SO? Yelling at your monitor after an unfair death in a video game? It's not like you're going to say your SSN, Credit Card number, passwords, or anything of the sort out loud to an active smart device. (Which are configured to listen for their respective "Names" and nothing else.)

Theres nothing for Google to gain. Alexa on the other hand? Alexa has been proven to listen to passive conversations and base Amazon advertisements and the like off what it hears. That is overly obtrusive and a borderline violation of privacy law. 

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 12/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, Xanthe_2871 said:

On the second point, I feel this is pretty self explanatory but the hackers can do whatever they want. VPNs, Tor, and other anonymizing tactics can not protect you from all angles.

This is a huge misconception and misunderstanding of the problem. First, "hackers" can't do anything if you don't generate data they can steal from you. Secondly, "hackers" will not go after any random John Doe to steal their data; it's not worth their time.

Yes, a VPN and TOR will make your browsing history a lot harder to obtain and often obscure it entirely; if the service doesn't log your traffic, that data is simply lost and only bits of it might be recovered in certain circumstances. That's not the main point though - regardless of using any of these services, people can't access a video feed of me if I don't have an always on internet camera pointed my way.

If, on the other hand, you generate all this footage of your private life and upload it to a corporation's servers, THAT's when a malicious attack could be both worth the hacker's time (ten fold) and hit you directly. And even if we ignore that threat, there's no reason to trust any of these corporations with your data; Facebook is known to sell it to the highest bidder, there's no reason to think Google isn't or won't be doing the same.

Note that this isn't the same as taping your webcam; that is unwarranted paranoia. To get access to your webcam without your consent, an attacker would need to have compromised your system so deeply that the webcam would be the least of your concerns. To do it without lighting up the camera's LED, they'd have to rewrite and reinstall your default webcam driver and somehow make the OS accept it as valid, so you can consider that basically impossible. The same goes for a microphone. On the other hand, "smart" home devices are designed to be always on and upload the footage to the internet.

So no, it doesn't make sense to equate this to owning a smartphone, and privacy concerns are warranted.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:50 AM, Xanthe_2871 said:

Then my final point. Just look at all the news in the last few years. Facebook cyber stalks pretty much everyone, even non-users. Credit card companies sell data on their users. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if local utility companies sold data in some jurisdictions. Yes, Google Home makes it easier, but really if Google wants to know what you're eating, or who you're talking to IRL, or when, they WILL find out. It's just too easy for them at this point, and too hard for you to stop them.

That's not how this works. Google doesn't have a dashboard that warns them when someone is trying to avoid being spied on so they can go after them directly... as for credit card companies, they don't record me in my home.

No, Google has NO IDEA what I'm eating unless I take a picture of it and post it online. Or I buy their big brother accessories.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My oh my how so many people forget what value personal information has.

I'm reminded back in the early days of IBM with it's tabulation machine which allowed governments the ability to not only be able to do final counts for their census in record time but also allowed for additional granularity by being able to quickly sort individuals by age, sex, residence, and profession. On the opposite side of the world from the US there was a country who had added another piece of personal information to the list, a person's ethnicity as traced through their grandparents. The year was 1939 and that country was Nazi Germany. Even if you've never opened a history book you know how that turned out.

Moral of the story is that these devices are cataloging what you say, watch, read, etc and putting all of that wonderfully useful information into a database. Sure sure you may say whatever data on you that is in those databases is inconsequential and of no importance to be guarded or protected and that may be the case...today at least. I'm sure the Jews thought that noting their religious/ethnic affiliation on a government census form was inconsequential as well at the time. You may also be thinking that a company can't do anything to you and you're correct. In the end however, the people you want to protect your data from are not those who play by the rules but those who write them...

14 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Data collected from Alex and Google Home have been used to solve and convict multiple murder cases and murderers. May it be through an accidental trigger, or passive listening just after a command; it is an incredibly useful 21st century tool in cracking cases that may have gone cold otherwise.

Yeah, I bet that's a great selling point... "it will gather evidence to be used against you if you commit a crime!"

At best it's a fortunate circumstance for the police, at worst it could be turned against the population if a state decides to become a dictatorship. What you're describing is almost verbatim the scenario from 1984; the state using always on cameras in people's homes to charge them with crimes. Just because the crime charges are fair in this case doesn't mean it's ok.

17 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

In reality, what will a Google Home collect assuming it's always listening and processing words? Boring conversations with your parents/SO? Yelling at your monitor after an unfair death in a video game? It's not like you're going to say your SSN, Credit Card number, passwords, or anything of the sort out loud to an active smart device. (Which are configured to listen for their respective "Names" and nothing else.)

Just because you have nothing to say out loud that you consider private, that doesn't mean nobody does. It's like free speech; it's important even if you personally have nothing special to say.

Just to remain down to Earth though, an easy example of how that could be turned against you is that a thief with that data could know when you'll be gone for a vacation.

As for what the smart devices hear, you can't know. You have no control over their function other than plugging them in. You don't know when they'll "accidentally" activate and what they do or don't record.

22 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Theres nothing for Google to gain. Alexa on the other hand? Alexa has been proven to listen to passive conversations and base Amazon advertisements and the like off what it hears. That is overly obtrusive and a borderline violation of privacy law. 

Google is an ad company, how far fetched do you think it is to expect them to do the same? The only difference is that Alexa has Amazon integration as a main feature, so you can tell in a more immediate way when you're being targeted.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*