Windows 9 will reportedly ship in 2015, codenamed 'Threshold'

mgsstar
We've heard about the Threshold a few times, but now we have Microsoft insider Paul Thurrott reporting that the software giant will unveil its new "Threshold" OS as Windows 9, which will be released next year.

What will Windows 9 include? Well, Thurrott believes that we'll see Microsoft discuss its next-gen OS at its upcoming BUILD developer conference being held in April. Thurrott believes that Microsoft will shift away from the Windows 8 name after all of the problems associated with it, and will drop the Windows 8 branding in favor of Windows 9 - this could change, but right now this is what he believes will happen.

Thurrott also reports that development on Windows 9 will begin in late-April, with no build of it being teased or given out at the BUILD conference in April. He also reports that we should see something he is calling "Metro 2.0", that would be a major focus of Windows 9. He doesn't know what will be changed, but we should see the desktop be centered again, versus the company going all-touch as it did with Windows 8.

We should see three major milestones of Threshold before its public release, and an April 2015 release date for Windows 9. I do agree with Thurrott on most of this, but he does say something that mirrors my exact thoughts: "And though Microsoft will always be able to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important foundational work they had done first with Windows 8-just as was the case with Windows 7 and Windows Vista-there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good."

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34796/windows-9-will-reportedly-ship-in-2015-codenamed-threshold-/index.html

I am pretty excited to see how will their Windows 9 UI would look like compared to Windows 8. I think it would probably be some UI changes and maybe a bit of performance improvement from Windows 8. Hope it would please people this time.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I hope it's 15 bucks for a while after it comes out like 8 was.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

i might actually wait for this then switch OS. I've been thinking of switching to 8 but my Win7 PC isn't even a year old soo....

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Hope its going to have a different version for desktops and touchscreen devices unlike win8 trying to be both and failing at both

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Windows NEIN! sorry I had to... I hope the ditch the Modern UI or at least on the desktop version of the system; possibly give you a choice or some kind of customisation. I honestly don't mind the simplicity but I prefer my start menu and the Desktop experience compared to the modern UI. Merging both UIs together could also be a good thing if done correctly.

Windows NEIN! sorry I had to... I hope the ditch the Modern UI or at least on the desktop version of the system; possibly give you a choice or some kind of customisation. I honestly don't mind the simplicity but I prefer my start menu and the Desktop experience compared to the modern UI. Merging both UIs together could also be a good thing if done correctly.

They should keep ModernUI, but give an option to turn it off.

RTX2070OC 

Codename: Threshold. Yeah just on the "Threshold" of being as good as Windows XP was/Is.

xp was slow as balls, everyone just got used to it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Apon Windows9 installation, they should have users select the GUI to choose from that they'd like

Win7 Theme, 8.1 Theme, and Custom Theme options.

If I had installed Win8.1 and it asked me to use 8.1 Metro or Exclusively W7 Desktop mode, Giving the choice to people helps them adapt better.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

wtf I just got win 8.1 (for free ofc :D)

how trough that thread in hot deals or in another way cuz im really interested, tried the 8.1 preview which was free i really liked how smooth it was compared to W7 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

how trough that thread in hot deals or in another way cuz im really interested, tried the 8.1 preview which was free i really liked how smooth it was compared to W7 

dad has Microsoft Volume Licensing, got it 4 free

They should keep ModernUI, but give an option to turn it off.

Yeah that's what I meant when saying possibly 'give you a choice or some kind of customisation'. I mean quite honestly Modern UI isn't bad at all and actually works really nicely on a tablet or a touchscreen computer but for a desktop computer it's a little too clunky and space taking hence why I don't use it.

O my friend, your lucky LTT doesn't have a court-martial system otherwise you'd be facing the electric chair for that blasphemy. Windows XP was built for it's time and continue's to be a valuable source of a reliable OS. I will allow this picture to summarize my thoughts about this. Enjoy.

the_evolution_of_microsoft_windows_house

win95 ftw

Threshold will be everything windows 8 should have been, just like W7 is everything Vista should have been and so forth. I did read some stuff about 8.3 being Threshold or W9 a while back and it being heavily cloud-based.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The Windows 8 branding needs to be completely removed and anything related to its original marketing should be avoided. No one over 35ish wants to deal with the changes they made and rightly so because most of them are terrible. The brand is toxic.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

I hope Windows 9 is good otherwise I'm not upgrading from Windows 7

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows brings no innovation to the table, instead they take DirectX as a hostage and you have to pay a 130$ ransom to buy an OS that get's things wrong.

Microsoft knows that companies follow a 6 year upgrade cycle...

So, Windows 9 will be enterprise / pro user focused, much like Windows 7 was.

We can only hope otherwise long live Windows 7    B)

Windows 8.1 users should get a discount/free upgrade, or at least a super cheap upgrade edition like Windows 8 was

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Windows brings no innovation to the table, instead they take DirectX as a hostage and you have to pay a 130$ ransom to buy an OS that get's things wrong.

LOL. You are funny. No innovation... sure.