Which is the better PSU?

remo233

Doing a budget build with a ryzen 5700x and rtx 3060ti. Considering the following two psu's. I like the msi as it has the thinner cables which makes it easier to cable manage but the corsair comes with 5 years warranty.  Which one is better?

CORSAIR CX650 80 PLUS Bronze Non Modular Low-Noise ATX 650 Watt Power Supply - UK - Black https://amzn.eu/d/7S0oN38

MSI MAG A650BN Power Supply Unit, UK Plug - 650W, 80 Plus Bronze Certified, ATX PSU, 12V Single-Rail, DC-to-DC Circuit, 120mm Fan - 5 Year Warranty https://amzn.eu/d/d7ZoWyz

Both similarly good,

MSI better because of the 5 year warranty.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

doesnt matter only thing to differentiate is the warranty and both are warrantyless garbage (<10 years)

as long as theyre cheap being warrantyless is tolerable to an extent (half the price of an 850w gold with a 10 year warranty)

28 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Doing a budget build with a ryzen 5700x and rtx 3060ti

also this does not sound like a very good build plan as the 5700x is outclassed by the similarly priced 12600kf and buying a new last gen card is pretty dumb with the only exceptions being cards that are competitive wirh used pricing like the 6800

country?

budget?

usecases?

ill see if i can find a better/cheaper psu and might aswell suggest improvements for your build plan, for reference i expect a 600-700$ build to have a used 3080/6800xt or a new 6800 if based around a used 5600(x)

33 minutes ago, podkall said:

Both similarly good,

MSI better because of the 5 year warranty.

MSI's warranty services are notoriously bad. I would rather take the shorter warranty via corsair tbh

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

31 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I would rather take the shorter warranty via corsair tbh

Both the MSI and the Corsair appear to come with a 5-year warranty.

As do about every Bronze-rated unit, it seems.

@remo233
Follow the advice the LTT crew often reiterates - don't cheap out on the PSU.
According to the tier list, both the MSI and the Corsair are C-tier.
Comparatively, the Seasonic B12-BC, while a bit more expensive, is B-tier.

29 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

According to the tier list, both the MSI and the Corsair are C-tier.
Comparatively, the Seasonic B12-BC, while a bit more expensive, is B-tier.

I suspect that is a mistake. Depending on which list you're using, the B12 is put on the same level as the Core GC and I'd say the Core GC is a superior (Seasonic-built) PSU with a 2 year longer warranty. I don't think the B12 is better than the BN and the warranty length is the same.

6 minutes ago, Tetras said:

I suspect that is a mistake. Depending on which list you're using, the B12 is put on the same level as the Core GC and I'd say the Core GC is a superior (Seasonic-built) PSU with a 2 year longer warranty. I don't think the B12 is better than the BN and the warranty length is the same.

B12 is, better than the BN because of the platform. LLC vs double forward.

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

doesnt matter only thing to differentiate is the warranty and both are warrantyless garbage (<10 years)

as long as theyre cheap being warrantyless is tolerable to an extent (half the price of an 850w gold with a 10 year warranty)

also this does not sound like a very good build plan as the 5700x is outclassed by the similarly priced 12600kf and buying a new last gen card is pretty dumb with the only exceptions being cards that are competitive wirh used pricing like the 6800

country?

budget?

usecases?

ill see if i can find a better/cheaper psu and might aswell suggest improvements for your build plan, for reference i expect a 600-700$ build to have a used 3080/6800xt or a new 6800 if based around a used 5600(x)

Country uk

Budget £600

School work and gaming

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

country?

budget?

usecases?

What is the best, most stable b760m mothetboard with ddr4? A lot of people have complained about stability.

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

B12 is, better than the BN because of the platform. LLC vs double forward.

What about it being on the same level as the Core GC? Do you consider them comparable?

2 hours ago, remo233 said:

Country uk

Budget £600

School work and gaming

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4DH3Jy

5600(x) + 3070 + 16gb 3200c16

you could fit a 3080 here but thatd require halving the storage, finding a used b3/450 at the 30-40£ mark which you can find but depends on luck and you may or may not get a decent board, and ditching the case for a used/free one (cheap as possible be it from an ewaste center or someone throwing em away) so opted for a used 3070 instead which id suspect to be around the 200-250£ mark so the system is more balanced and you arent forced to get  a used board and case though used board is still reccomended as you are cutting a little cost but also getting a better board (ex b450 tomahawk)

also used 5600(x) can be found around the 80£ mark

1 hour ago, remo233 said:

What is the best, most stable b760m mothetboard with ddr4? A lot of people have complained about stability.

wouldnt bother with all new at this budget as used goes a very long way at lower budgets

8 minutes ago, Tetras said:

What about it being on the same level as the Core GC? Do you consider them comparable?

Quality of the Core is better. Performance is comparable.

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4DH3Jy

5600(x) + 3070 + 16gb 3200c16

you could fit a 3080 here but thatd require halving the storage, finding a used b3/450 at the 30-40£ mark which you can find but depends on luck and you may or may not get a decent board, and ditching the case for a used/free one (cheap as possible be it from an ewaste center or someone throwing em away) so opted for a used 3070 instead which id suspect to be around the 200-250£ mark so the system is more balanced and you arent forced to get  a used board and case though used board is still reccomended as you are cutting a little cost but also getting a better board (ex b450 tomahawk)

also used 5600(x) can be found around the 80£ mark

wouldnt bother with all new at this budget as used goes a very long way at lower budgets

I already have a gpu, rtx 3060ti. £600 is excluding gpu.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N8KhXk

2 hours ago, remo233 said:

I already have a gpu, rtx 3060ti. £600 is excluding gpu.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/N8KhXk

well that just makes the 5700x look even worse, also the 3060ti should still be fine just that you wouldnt wanna buy one new nowadays

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pPbkZJ

overhauled to am5 though abit overbudget, just means a much faster cpu for games and a platform where you wont need to upgrade the mobo nor rams for a cpu swap and yes ive made sure both are good for future cpus (board will handle an oced 7950x and ddr5 10000+, rams will either be hynix m die ~7600 or a die 10000+ capable)

can add an aftermarket cooler later as the stealth will do ok for the stock 88w tdp

psu has been upgraded to a 750w gold

if youd like to cost cut abit more you can buy a 7500f off aliexpress for around 110£

57 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

well that just makes the 5700x look even worse, also the 3060ti should still be fine just that you wouldnt wanna buy one new nowadays

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pPbkZJ

overhauled to am5 though abit overbudget, just means a much faster cpu for games and a platform where you wont need to upgrade the mobo nor rams for a cpu swap and yes ive made sure both are good for future cpus (board will handle an oced 7950x and ddr5 10000+, rams will either be hynix m die ~7600 or a die 10000+ capable)

can add an aftermarket cooler later as the stealth will do ok for the stock 88w tdp

psu has been upgraded to a 750w gold

if youd like to cost cut abit more you can buy a 7500f off aliexpress for around 110£

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9Wc4TY

Is that better?

20 minutes ago, remo233 said:

nah

am5 will offer better singlecore hence better gaming whilst being able to drop a new cpu in without board or ram swap so youll save money in the long run whilst getting better performance and power efficiency

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wGx2DZ

since the 600£ limit seems to be strict i just swapped the ssd for a gen 3 and now its the same price as that list, besides you can add the cooler later on once youve saved abit of extra cash

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

nah

am5 will offer better singlecore hence better gaming whilst being able to drop a new cpu in without board or ram swap so youll save money in the long run whilst getting better performance and power efficiency

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wGx2DZ

since the 600£ limit seems to be strict i just swapped the ssd for a gen 3 and now its the same price as that list, besides you can add the cooler later on once youve saved abit of extra cash

Quick question. I know that the 5700x is a dead platform but this pc is for my kid and it will not be changed for over 5 years at which point a new PC will be built. Does it really matter if I go with a new cpu or one that is a few years old? 

15 minutes ago, remo233 said:

Quick question. I know that the 5700x is a dead platform but this pc is for my kid and it will not be changed for over 5 years at which point a new PC will be built. Does it really matter if I go with a new cpu or one that is a few years old? 

Also for your build, the motherboard does not have rgb headers. Can you check, the following case that comes with an rgb controller, I am presuming it will be fine without the rgb headers? 

it does matter

5 years down the road you dont have to change the entire thing, just drop in a new cpu and a new gpu which will save hundreds of quid compared to building a completely new system, heck the psu i picked is pretty good for the price so you wont even have to spend another 50-70 quid on a new psu when you can just reuse your current psu

also the 7600 is straight up faster than the 5700x so not onoy do you get a pc where you can drop in a new gpu gpu instead of building another youll also get a pc thatll straight up perform better and last you even longer before an upgrade is neccesary due to said performance

its just stupid to even consider am4 and 1700 when your budget will fit am5 and the accompanying hardware that facilitates not having to do a bunch of hardware swaps in the future when an upgrade is neccesary

Also for your build, the motherboard does not have rgb headers. Can you check, the following case that comes with an rgb controller, I am presuming it will be fine without the rgb headers? 

as for rgb header there are adapters that convert usb to rgb

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

it does matter

5 years down the road you dont have to change the entire thing, just drop in a new cpu and a new gpu which will save hundreds of quid compared to building a completely new system, heck the psu i picked is pretty good for the price so you wont even have to spend another 50-70 quid on a new psu when you can just reuse your current psu

also the 7600 is straight up faster than the 5700x so not onoy do you get a pc where you can drop in a new gpu gpu instead of building another youll also get a pc thatll straight up perform better and last you even longer before an upgrade is neccesary due to said performance

its just stupid to even consider am4 and 1700 when your budget will fit am5 and the accompanying hardware that facilitates not having to do a bunch of hardware swaps in the future when an upgrade is neccesary

I have been watching some benchmarks, the 12600 performs better than the 7600. Would you still recommend the 7600?

13 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

it does matter

Onr last favour friend, is there a way to keep this at £650 with a ryzen 7700? I have read that that stock cooler with the 7700 is good.

4 hours ago, remo233 said:

Onr last favour friend, is there a way to keep this at £650 with a ryzen 7700? I have read that that stock cooler with the 7700 is good.

it definitely is and should even handle abit of tuning

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zGQwbL

just a hair under 650£

exceria g2 is worth the extra 4 quid to get a faster dram gen 3 but ive put an adata 710 incase 650 is hardlimit

sacking the case is also a valid option if you wanna retain the 2tb drive just that youd then have to hunt for a cheap used case or someone throwing a case out

12 hours ago, remo233 said:

I have been watching some benchmarks, the 12600 performs better than the 7600. Would you still recommend the 7600?

that seems to only be in a few games, honestly idk what the heck is going on there, though csgo it will obliterate the 12600k so maybe those games just hate ryzen or something?

even then you still gotta consider the lower power consumption (capped at 88w stock, probs lower when gaming) and am5 being upgradable without mobo nor ram swap required which saves a ton of cost for a cpu upgrade down the line compared to having to buy another board