Cortana is next: Windows 10 may allow you to change digital assistants in the future

Nowak

hVAO9st.png

Sauce: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-10-may-allow-you-to-pick-your-own-digital-assistant-in-the-future.382211.0.html

Hey remember how I made a status asking how long until Cortana gets the axe, along with Groove, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows RT, Kinect, UWP, EdgeHTML and some other Microsoft products? Yeah.

It's no secret that Cortana is losing favor with the PC-using public, and possibly also with Microsoft developers in some departments. A well-regarded Windows-focused leaker claims to have found evidence that the digital assistant may be replaceable in future versions of the OS. This is also somewhat corroborated by the fact Amazon's Alexa is now available in Windows' Store.

Cortana is not having a great time of it, according to its recent press at least. Some earlier reports have suggested that it may be discontinued, or (worse?) demoted to a feature in the Microsoft Office suites of the future. A more recent rumor indicates that it may even be possible to remove the digital assistant from Windows 10 altogether, so that the user can employ an alternative virtual helper of their own choosing instead.

With Cortana growing more and more stagnant, less and less people are using her, and it's not exactly a well-kept secret that Cortana could very possibly be the next thing on Microsoft's chopping block. New APIs found in Windows 10 by Albacore and WalkingCat on Twitter indicate that this is indeed the case.

On the other hand, this is not based on much besides a thread started by the leaker Albacore on Twitter. It arises from findings from another tipster, WalkingCat, who claims to have found APIs concerning the requests "IsSystemCortanaAppReplaceable" or "IsSystemCortanaAppReplaced". In addition, Albacore now claims that the apps CortanaApp.View and UndockingTestApp exist. These titles may indeed suggest that Cortana will become replaceable (or 'undockable', as Albacore's terminology seems to have it) in a future OS update.

This is further compounded by Amazon's Alexa being in the Microsoft store.

Furthermore, it is also true that Amazon's Alexa is now available for download on the Microsoft Store. This may be construed as a first step in readying alternatives for an option that 'undocks' Cortana from the Windows start-bar. On the other hand, this is still largely based on speculation and requires more concrete validation from the Redmond software giant.

Of course, we will have to wait and see what happens with Cortana, but with these strings, Cortana losing favor among the public, further development of Cortana being stagnant and other digital assistants becoming available on the Microsoft Store, it's looking like this is the end of the road for her. As with EdgeHTML being replaced with Blink, there'll likely be an official confirmation soon. When? I don't know, but the future for Microsoft's struggling digital assistant doesn't seem bright.

Don't care until I can get the Space Core as my assistant.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

good. The only assistant I'd ever accept use is Mycroft.

But since the entire AI assistant business is mostly useless gimmicks anyway, don't care

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Good. For one, I don’t like that I can’t make Cortana a dude or have a different accent which Siri and Google Assistant can do. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I have no use for voice search anyways.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Good. For one, I don’t like that I can’t make Cortana a dude or have a different accent which Siri and Google Assistant can do. 

You can although I don't remember where you can change it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

23 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You can although I don't remember where you can change it.

Is it as easy as Siri and Google Assistant? 

Spoiler

8DD45FC1-3445-490D-B222-956DDCAD8A06.jpeg.e9e8f86d330c4e544b64f34a487af5b6.jpeg4C848E11-BD00-48BF-8A11-9CB22254457A.jpeg.26785b937b0d49e639faef5fc8b871f6.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

so long as i can choose "no assistant" im happy

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My system doesn't eve have it :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Not that surprising, really.  Cortana was one of the last products of the Ballmer era, when Microsoft both chased after everything Apple was doing and assumed that its mere entrance in a category guaranteed success (Ballmer acted as if every human was biologically preprogrammed to love Windows).   It doesn't really jive with the Nadella era, where Microsoft is focused on doing what it does best.

Basically: Microsoft is aware that it's 2018, not 1998, and that some things are best left to other companies.

I get that this is apparently a very popular feature but I am still waiting for a feature that makes me give a fuck about digital assistants.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Installed Windows for our new project manager. Quite office "Hi I'm cortanna"

-.-

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

when Microsoft both chased after everything Apple was doing and assumed that its mere entrance in a category guaranteed success (Ballmer acted as if every human was biologically preprogrammed to love Windows)

Remember the "Windows Phone 7 buries the competition" parade when WP7 hit RTM in 2010? Windows Phone users can hate him all they want for killing their beloved phone platform but at least under Nadella Microsoft has moved away from Ballmer's insanity. Frankly he's better off in sports than a software giant.

Honestly tho it's kinda funny seeing every "innovation" related to Windows 10 fall apart. Soon we'll be back to Windows 7 but with a dysfunctional app store and questionable privacy policies attached to it.

4 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Remember the "Windows Phone 7 buries the competition" parade when WP7 hit RTM in 2010? Windows Phone users can hate him all they want for killing their beloved phone platform but at least under Nadella Microsoft has moved away from Ballmer's insanity. Frankly he's better off in sports than a software giant.

Honestly tho it's kinda funny seeing every "innovation" related to Windows 10 fall apart. Soon we'll be back to Windows 7 but with a dysfunctional app store and questionable privacy policies attached to it.

Very much so -- it was classic Microsoft hubris.  "Well, of course we're going to dominate smartphones, we're Microsoft!"  Never mind that WP7 was missing features that were table stakes at the time, it really did act as if it was gracing smartphone users by releasing something new with the word "Windows" in it.

There are definitely some things in Windows 10 that are big improvements over 7 and 8, but yeah... you can tell that many of its major marketing points were the product of another era at the company.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Very much so -- it was classic Microsoft hubris.  "Well, of course we're going to dominate smartphones, we're Microsoft!"  Never mind that WP7 was missing features that were table stakes at the time, it really did act as if it was gracing smartphone users by releasing something new with the word "Windows" in it.

There are definitely some things in Windows 10 that are big improvements over 7 and 8, but yeah... you can tell that many of its major marketing points were the product of another era at the company.

Just good ol' Microsoft, not understanding a market but entering it anyway and expecting instant success, because they're Microsoft and it has the "Windows" brand attached to it somewhere.

Windows 10 has its issues but I'm glad that it's (slowly) evolving away from the Ballmer era.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:09 AM, bcredeur97 said:

so long as i can choose "no assistant" im happy

Same here

On 12/18/2018 at 9:46 AM, Doobeedoo said:

My system doesn't eve have it :D

Well, you can't really completely get rid of Cortana, but you can do the next best thing (which I did).  Use PowerShell to chop her up, stuff her in a box and hide her as far away from the UI as possible.

That sounds a little morbid, now that I think about it.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Well, you can't really completely get rid of Cortana, but you can do the next best thing (which I did).  Use PowerShell to chop her up, stuff her in a box and hide her as far away from the UI as possible.

That sounds a little morbid, now that I think about it.

You can also disable Cortana in Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 Pro.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

You can also disable Cortana in Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 Pro.

Turns out, I did have it disabled in GPE.  Either I got confused (because some parts, like the Store, I could only disable through PowerShell), or the PowerShell scripts automatically changed the GP settings.  It's been around 3 years, so it's hard to remember for sure; and build updates haven't reset those options on me, so I haven't needed to mess with them since.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Turns out, I did have it disabled in GPE.  Either I got confused (because some parts, like the Store, I could only disable through PowerShell), or the PowerShell scripts automatically changed the GP settings.  It's been around 3 years, so it's hard to remember for sure; and build updates haven't reset those options on me, so I haven't needed to mess with them since.

Honestly I can't wait until Microsoft lets you remove digital assistants in Windows 10 altogether. They just aren't very useful in practice.

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

How about just letting us turn off the assistants thanks

True, we should have options in the settings that allow you to disable things that come pre installed, but without deleting them (or with, idc) so that we can keep the performance without all this bloatware nobody uses

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Just let us remove it altrady, its just another non-removable crapware....

Crapware, spyware, and eavesdropware.

Thankfully, Windows 10 LTSB / LTSC doesn't have Cortana, or UWP. And people can buy an LTSB / LTSC license for cheap from eBay.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987