Discord plans to outdo Valve and Epic with a higher developer revenue split in its Game Store in 2019

AlTech

The Verge reports that Discord is planning to outdo Valve and Epic with a higher developer revenue split in its Game Store in 2019.

Discord has decided it's going to be changing from its current 70/30 split (70% to Game Dev and 30% to Discord) to a 90/10 split (90% to Devs and 10% to Discord) starting in 2019 in the hopes to attract more game developers to its Store.

Discord is looking to make its fledgling game store the most developer-friendly option around. Today, the company announced that it will offer developers a 90 percent share of revenue when its PC game store opens up to all creators starting next year. The store first launched in October with a heavily curated selection of indie games, including Into the Breach and Dead Cells as well as a handful of timed exclusives. Currently, it operates under a fairly standard 70 / 30 revenue split.

“Turns out, it does not cost 30 percent to distribute games in 2018,” Discord CEO Jason Citron explained in a blog post. “After doing some research, we discovered that we can build amazing developer tools, run them, and give developers the majority of the revenue share.”

Last week, Fortnite developer Epic launched its own PC games store, which similarly offered a more developer-friendly revenue split, taking just a 12 percent cut of all game sales. Both Epic and Discord are looking to make their digital shops more appealing to developers by offering better terms than the current dominant platform Steam. Indie-focused store Itch.io, meanwhile, has an “open revenue sharing model” where developers can choose the revenue split

And don't worry, Discord doesn't discriminate against size. I'm looking at you Valve -_-.

Discord says that its split will apply to developers of all sizes 

I'm glad Discord is offering a better revenue split although I will admit I don't expect developers to switch to releasing on Discord and Steam anytime soon. And personally I wouldn't buy a game from Discord. If Discord wants me to own a game sold in its Store then they'd have to give it to me for free. I hope GOG updates its developer revenue split as well soon although god knows CDPR could really do with the monies for Cyberpunk 2077.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

image.png.2d271a41a96c602d5f650c10748ad03b.png

# of game launchers in 2020.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Discord has decided it's going to be changing from its current 70/30 split (70% to Game Dev and 30% to Discord) to a 90/10 split (90% to Devs and 10% to Discord) starting in 2019 in the hopes to attract more game developers to its Store.

Wow. That's a huge difference.
I'm not surprised that Steam is doing this, especially with the rise of other platforms such as EA Origin, Ubisoft uPlay, Battle.net, Epic Games, etc. I am surprised that they jumped to the full 90/10 split.

Just realised this was "Discord" and not Steam. I don't know why but I read Steam instead of Discord. Now I'm super disappointed. I don't want to buy games on Discord. *sigh*

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I don't mind competition but unless they all have features to import library from different clients, i rather stick with the one where i have more than an 100 games on it which i've collected over 6 years, steam was the reason i got out of piracy, the convenience and the fact all of my friends are on it, both epic and discord are now trying to split it. so i'm gonna keep to steam indefinitely unless steam goes out of business. as a completionist, it bugs me too much to have my games in different launcher.  the only origin game i have is SW battlefront that's it, i wanted to get ME on steam but ME 3 was only on origins never bothered to get it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

5 minutes ago, King Poet said:

snip

inb4 someone makes a movie out of it. 

Store Wars: The Last Distributor. ?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Spotty said:

Wow. That's a huge difference.
I'm not surprised that Steam is doing this, especially with the rise of other platforms such as EA Origin, Ubisoft uPlay, Battle.net, Epic Games, etc. I am surprised that they jumped to the full 90/10 split.

Just realised this was "Discord" and not Steam. I don't know why but I read Steam instead of Discord. Now I'm super disappointed. I don't want to buy games on Discord. *sigh*

Steam has been considering changing their revenue split as well since their tiered system launched. They just haven't decided what action to take.

But anyways, this is all about Discord.

i'm not even a big games buyer, but i now have games on uplay, steam, xbox, battlenet and origin. I don't really mind anymore.

steam needed to get a reality check, 30% was highway robbery.

i like the idea of competition but i hate that i need battle.net and origin and steam and epic games launcher and uplay and discord and more just for my games. i have enough crap just for the rgb in my pc now this. its getting to the point where i wish devs will put the game on all the platforms and let the user pick where they want to buy like how you can get xbox games at target, walmart, gamestop and more you know. this alone it so annoying that im temped to go back to console again 

33 minutes ago, King Poet said:

GOG should really be more popular on days like this.

When you feel tempted to pirate games not because they are free just because you get rid of the DRM/Launcher in the process.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I frankly don't care. I'm gonna stay with Steam and GOG. EA's Origin is an absolute abomination with its retarded design (if you reinstall OS you have to redownload all hundreds of gigabytes of all games because the dumb client doesn't know how to import the damn shit). I hate UPlay because it's made by Ubisoft which is on my boycott list anyway and EPIC Games launcher is also a clumsy retarded mess.

Steam, despite its dumb flaws in several places just works and I can freely format system partition and not have to download all games every time. GOG is similar. You have to import games and it does redownload some parts of all imported games, but you set it in like 2 clicks and then it does the rest automatically. With Origin, I'd have to sit there and install every frigging game by hand and wait in between for damn thing to slowly do its thing. Dreadful. And with GOG bringing Cloud Saves, it's probably my favorite client. It's just clean, minimalistic and just works. And it has no DRM and no obligations. I wish more would release games on GOG, even big titles not just indie stuff.

Steam and GOG will continue to be my go to game stores.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

As much as I like competition, what I fear is that “fragmentation” may come to define the world of PC gaming storefronts in the future

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

inb4 G2A comes with it's own store and a 97-3 profit split

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

39 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Explain please? 

Epic has committed to giving away 2 games per month away for free.

They're doing this by partnering with game developers.

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Epic has committed to giving away 2 games per month away for free.

They're doing this by partnering with game developers.

i had no idea. I guess it's the price to beat steams monopoly.

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

"Race to the Bottom" normally ends badly for everyone without a massive secondary revenue stream.

it's not a race to the bottom, it seems rather the steam cut was to big (as i've always said) and now everyone wants a piece, offering larger percentages to developers and still free games and it makes business sense to them. Eventually 2 or 3 big players will emerge in the end i believe.

This is god for developers, they will have more money to create games, and not waste 30% that can go to developing games onto a storefront and making Gabe even more insanely rich

Stop. Please stop. As much as I agree that a monopoly is bad for the consumer i'm sick of having 3000 different platforms that i own games on.

Now i need a nice piece of software that allows me to log into all my game platforms, and manages and installes/downloads them in one ui.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

5 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

2 free games a month? Epic wins

no, Discord wins

/s

ba dum tss

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Next thing you know, Google is making a store with a 95/5 split

Then apple comes around and does a 98/3 split

actually, they wouldn't do that

✨FNIGE✨

I use discord for chat and voice anyway so if it's a good indie game I'll support the indie devs by prioritizing discord.

Situation is not much different han the epic games launcher really, except their popularity rides on Fortnite. Discord's popularity on the other hand isn't as notorious yet I feel more stable than capitalizing just on Fortnite.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I kind of don't care. All these game launchers these days are ridiculous. I'm staying on Steam and that's it unless they do something absolutely abhorrent for consumers.

Having to log into six different services to play my games is stupid.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060