Australia passes laws compelling companies to offer up encryption master keys *facepalm*

Master Disaster

As discussed here...

Australia has been looking at these laws recently. Well on the final day of Australian parliament the laws have been passed.

Australia has passed controversial laws designed to compel technology companies to grant police and security agencies access to encrypted messages.

The government says the laws, a world first, are necessary to help combat terrorism and crime.

However critics have listed wide-ranging concerns, including that the laws could undermine the overall security and privacy of users.

The laws were rushed through parliament on its final day of the year.

The Labor opposition said it had reluctantly supported the laws to help protect Australians during the Christmas period, but on Friday it said that "legitimate concerns" about them remained.

Cyber-security experts have warned the laws could now create a "global weak point" for companies such as Facebook and Apple.

Unlike in China, Russia & Turkey where E2E encryption is outright banned, in Australia the technology will be allowed to exist but the Aussie government now has the power to force tech companies to either decrypt data or create a method by which the government can decrypt data.

It differs from laws in China, Russia and Turkey, where services offering end-to-end encryption are banned.

Under Australia's legislation, police can force companies to create a technical function that would give them access to encrypted messages without the user's knowledge.

"This ensures that our national security and law enforcement agencies have the modern tools they need, with appropriate authority and oversight, to access the encrypted conversations of those who seek to do us harm," Attorney-General Christian Porter said.

Obviously security experts are pointing out the glaring floor, it's impossible to create a targeted backdoor, any system of access opens up everyone's data to be viewed. If the backdoor is leaked, well I'm sure you can all guess the rest.

However, cyber-security experts say it's not possible to create a "back door" decryption that would safely target just one person.

"Any vulnerability would just weaken the existing encryption scheme, affecting security overall for innocent people," said Dr Chris Culnane from the University of Melbourne.

Such a "security hole" could then be abused or exploited by criminals, he said.

In a bid to address these concerns, Australia's law offers a safeguard which says decryptions won't go ahead if they create a "systemic weakness".

However critics say the definition of "systemic weakness" is vague, meaning it is unclear how it may be applied.

A range of other concerns have been raised.

Digital rights advocates are highly critical of Australia's move, saying it lacks sufficient checks and balances.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has said police could order individual IT developers to create technical functions without their company's knowledge.

"This has the potential for Australian tech firms to have no clue whether they were even subject to an order," the foundation's Nate Cardozo told the BBC.

There is also criticism over how fast the laws were passed. A draft bill was presented only in August.

A parliamentary committee examining the legislation did not release its report until late on Wednesday.

Labor initially proposed 173 amendments to the bill, but agreed to drop them on Thursday so that the law would be passed this year.

In return, the government pledged to debate possible amendments next year.

But the nation's top legal society, the Law Council of Australia, said on Friday that the laws had been "rammed" through the parliament with inadequate consideration.

The reality of this means many multinational companies might simply withdraw from Australia entirely rather than comply with these rules.

If companies don't comply with the laws, they risk being fined.

That's led to speculation that some global firms which have vocally opposed the laws could withdraw from the Australian market.

However, Dr Culnane said that most companies are likely to comply - partly because users won't be aware if their messages have been accessed.

However, experts say the full implications are unclear and much uncertainty remains. Some firms have already suggested that they may not be subject to Australian law.

Experts add that, given the debate involves national security, many aspects may play out behind closed doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-46463029

640?cb=20161126184021

This is what happens when you let luddites control laws surrounding technology. RIP any and all privacy in Australia, I only hope this stays over there and doesn't spread.

I suppose the good take from this is it doesn't appear to be finalised yet, it sounds like it's still open to change.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

and people wonder why their stuff can get hacked. this is why. any strong encryption gets broken by governments. 

She/Her

How to paint a massive target on your back 101

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

11 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

About 2 seconds after this is actually implemented, every major country on earth will have access to all of Australia's private encryption.

You know what going to happen? (I won't advocate it but I'll laugh when it does). Some group like Anonymous will crack the system, use it to target all the politicians behind this absurdity and dox every single one of them.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is the most absurd, poorly thought out shitshow I've ever seen... RIP privacy...

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

And if I were a tech company, I would tell Australia to shove it and block access to them. 

Same with the EU once they pass the absurd copyright law

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I usually don't support criminal activity, but in this case, I hope everyone involved in this get hacked and doxed (preferably through their very own hole they demand to be created) so hard they won't even slightly consider such idiocy ever again. Because apparently only way to make these idiots understand the privacy is to make them learn it the hard way.

Btw, how are they planning on pulling this law off? Lets take ProtonMail or Tutanota as example, both prominent for E2E encryption of e-mails. One is located in Switzerland, the other in Germany. They do not follow Australian laws. Is Australia just gonna hard block them entirely because you can be assured they won't hand out any backdoors.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

and people wonder why their stuff can get hacked. this is why. any strong encryption gets broken by governments. 

The reason they are asking for the keys is because they can't crack the encryption, otherwise why let everyone know that you are snooping around?

The issue I have with this is not how ridiculously dangerous passing on these keys is but how easily it is circumvented. Bob the Gangster only needs to use PGP and this plan falls into the water, dragging the privacy of ordinary citizens with it.

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I usually don't support criminal activity, but in this case, I hope everyone involved in this get hacked and doxed (preferably through their very own hole they demand to be created) so hard they won't even slightly consider such idiocy ever again. Because apparently only way to make these idiots understand the privacy is to make them learn it the hard way.

Btw, how are they planning on pulling this law off? Lets take ProtonMail or Tutanota as example, both prominent for E2E encryption of e-mails. One is located in Switzerland, the other in Germany. They do not follow Australian laws. Is Australia just gonna hard block them entirely because you can be assured they won't hand out any backdoors.

We had this discussion in the previous thread. If a company operates in a territory outside of where they're based they are obligated to follow any and all laws that exist in any country they operate.

The companies can choose to withdraw from the territory entirely or change their business model (either locally or globally) to follow the laws but they must obey them.

The biggest spanner in the works is going to come when residents outside of Australia get caught up in all this. I can't imagine the EU will be happy if Gunther from Germany has his private emails read simply because hes had correspondence with Bruce from Australia who happens to have committed a crime on the other side of the world.

I think secretly the rest of the world's government's will be watching this and waiting to see how it turns out. The US & UK government's (as well as many others I'd imagine) would probably love to have laws like this in place too. It's only a matter of time now.

Great job Australia, this ain't ever gonna work.

Like OP mentioned, a targeted backdoor is bound to be found and abused.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

We had this discussion in the previous thread. If a company operates in a territory outside of where they're based they are obligated to follow any and all laws that exist in any country they operate.

The companies can choose to withdraw from the territory entirely or change their business model (either locally or globally) to follow the laws but they must obey them.

The biggest spanner in the works is going to come when residents outside of Australia get caught up in all this. I can't imagine the EU will be happy if Gunther from Germany has his private emails read simply because hes had correspondence with Bruce from Australia who happens to have committed a crime on the other side of the world.

I think secretly the rest of the world's government's will be watching this and waiting to see how it turns out. The US & UK government's (as well as many others I'd imagine) would probably love to have laws like this in place too. It's only a matter of time now.

How do you define "where they operate"? Internet doesn't work like that. They provide service, it's up to users to reach out to them. It's different if they had office in Australia. Which means for users to be denied their service, Australia would have to actively ban their service specifically. Basically, if you're a resident of Australia and would want to use ProtonMail, it would refuse to load because of this BS. There is no other way around it quite frankly.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

How do you define "where they operate"? Internet doesn't work like that. They provide service, it's up to users to reach out to them. It's different if they had office in Australia. Which means for users to be denied their service, Australia would have to actively ban their service specifically. Basically, if you're a resident of Australia and would want to use ProtonMail, it would refuse to load because of this BS. There is no other way around it quite frankly.

Afaik if they offer a service to a resident of that country then they operate in that country.

Valve tried the whole "we're an American company"  thing when it came to the refund lawsuit and it didn't work out well for them.

If that's the case, then everyone has to either openly state that Australian government can at any time read any mail or entirely pull out of Australian market by actively preventing usage of their service. Imagine it's impossible to send an e-mail in Australia because providers refuse to follow this insane Aussie idea. I mean big ones as well like Google (GMail). Because while Google is a privacy nightmare, I don't think they'll go along with this idea despite all that.

People in government be like. How stupid can you be.. 

a3M3E6JN_700wa_0.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If that's the case, then everyone has to either openly state that Australian government can at any time read any mail or entirely pull out of Australian market by actively preventing usage of their service. Imagine it's impossible to send an e-mail in Australia because providers refuse to follow this insane Aussie idea. I mean big ones as well like Google (GMail). Because while Google is a privacy nightmare, I don't think they'll go along with this idea despite all that.

I honestly don't think the politicians have considered the knock on effect of this. They're so single minded in achieving what they want that nothing else matters.

I'm still hopeful that once the sheer absurdity of these laws come out they'll back down. They might end up having to tbh because you're entirely correct, this is going to cause chaos for a great many people and companies around the world.

I hope companies pull that shit and drop Australia into dark ages without any e-mail communications (or any other type of communication means for that matter) for a short while and show what happens when you try to play god with people's privacy.

38 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

The reason they are asking for the keys is because they can't crack the encryption

yea, but other governments want company's to install backdoors. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The reality of this means many multinational companies might simply withdraw from Australia entirely rather than comply with these rules

Please do that. It would be so much fun

:)

Doubt this would cause any company exodus. Money is money. Companies give zeros fucks if they can make money.

In regards to backdoors I expect there to be bustling activity in the courts of Australia. Some companies will attempt to argue that any backdoor would be a systemic weakness and the government's lawyers will argue that security is like Schroedinger's cat: things can be secure while not being secure.

16 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Doubt this would cause any company exodus. Money is money. Companies give zeros fucks if they can make money. 

i see this as going

Gov: give us your keys

tech companies: no

Gov: but you have to, it's the law

tech companies: then we'll pull out of Aus

Gov: oh...uh...no don't do that, sorry, we were just kidding

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

A predictably terrible 'security' measure from the country that has had judges issue search warrants for the entire internet.

What is a company running a simple HTTPS website supposed to do, when the koala police come knocking for a way to decrypt people's traffic to their website? Hand over their private keys?

25 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

In regards to backdoors I expect there to be bustling activity in the courts of Australia. Some companies will attempt to argue that any backdoor would be a systemic weakness and the government's lawyers will argue that security is like Schroedinger's cat: things can be secure while not being secure.

Companies do give fucks about their own private affairs though, remember this doesn't just expose the public, all of Google, Facebook, Tesla, "insert greedy corporation name here" stand to have their personal data available to the Aussie government too.

Yeah this is fine i can see absolutely no problem here

/s

We all know that this law will end up being reversed, and we also know when.

When shit hits the fan hard, which it will.

They are now collecting all the shit (the private keys) and the fan, well that's the hacker or hackers that are going to take the shit and throw it all over the place.

We KNOW it will happen, it just will, only a matter of time.

Also govs and security aren't a great match so i doubt it will take a long time.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon