Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jtalk4456

Apple's claiming their headquarters is worth only $200

Time for California to just buy the property for $500 under eminent domain and remodel it as a school or park. Just have to blackmail Apple into either paying their taxes or saying goodbye to their "overvalued" property. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Swatson said:

not sure you understand the definition of lying

Value is a matter of perspective and metric. I think iphones are not worth the price tag they carry while dr mac thinks they are. Is one of us lying? Of course not,  Apple are just lowballing the value to start negotiations for an agreed value. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Tbf it's not in prime real estate.

20180816_063845.gif

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Value is a matter of perspective and metric. I think iphones are not worth the price tag they carry while dr mac thinks they are. Is one of us lying? Of course not,  Apple are just lowballing the value to start negotiations for an agreed value. 

If you were a mental gymnast in the olympics you'd be getting 10's from every judge. Value of a property likely worth over a billion doesn't translate to "oh well i totally think it's worth $200"

Apple should really be paying you guys for your hard work and dedication

Just now, Swatson said:

If you were a mental gymnast in the olympics you'd be getting 10's from every judge. Value of a property likely worth over a billion doesn't translate to "oh well i totally think it's worth $200"

Apple should really be paying you guys for your hard work and dedication

You still don't get it.    Would you call an auctioneer a liar because house bidding starts below the reserve? or what about every shop that tickets the products slightly higher knowing the customer is going to ask for a discount?  It s the same thing just on a much larger scale.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You still don't get it.    Would you call an auctioneer a liar because house bidding starts below the reserve? or what about every shop that tickets the products slightly higher knowing the customer is going to ask for a discount?  It s the same thing just on a much larger scale.

Government thinks it's worth 1 billion+

A valuation of 500 million from apple would have been haggling
A valuation of 100 million would have been misrepresenting the truth/ speaking falsehoods aka lying

A valuation of 1 million would have been insulting but at least they tried to be subtle
A valuation of $1 would have been an actual place holder

A valuation of $200 is what they somehow came up with

I want what you're smoking or is apple literally paying shills these days?

22 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Tbf it's not in prime real estate.

20180816_063845.gif

It really isn't, though it does have convenient access to highways.  But Apple going in there was going to change the dynamics of the neighborhood.  It wasn't just any old office that was being built.  With these big tech companies, prime estate isn't necessary because they're bringing in the traffic to the neighborhood, instead of relying on the neighborhood for the traffic. Access to highways was probably a big factor. Pretty close to 280 and the 85/280 interchange.

Also pretty close to the Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport.  If you haven't heard of this airport, I wouldn't blame you.  I hadn't either before I looked for the closest airport.  However, for big international tech companies, it's a lower key entry point than your traditional airports.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

29 minutes ago, Swatson said:

I strongly suggest you give up this conversation.

I've had a similar one with mr moose before and he won't give up. No matter what you say, or what logic you put forth, he won't change his mind or admit that what Apple is doing might be considered wrong.

22 minutes ago, Swatson said:

A valuation of 100 million would have been misrepresenting the truth/ speaking falsehoods aka lying

A valuation of 1 million would have been insulting but at least they tried to be subtle

If you're trying to haggle for the lowest price and you don't know what the floor is, why would you set it?  It makes no sense to say $500 mil if you could literally get $200 dollars for it.  It's obviously absurd, but it gives nothing away as to what you actually think it's worth, putting the ball firmly in your opponent's court.  If you think that's dishonest, fine.  I agree that it is.  But as it stands, it appears this is a common practice among at least tech companies in the area, if not most major businesses in California that have significant holdings in real estate.  If you want to demonize the practice, then so be it.  But this isn't about Apple in particular.  As has been shown, multiple tech companies appeal their taxes and I would reckon most companies that own significant real estate holdings in California do, because it saves them money, and companies like money.  I cannot understand why you are being so obtuse.  If Santa Clara County, the final authority on the matter, comes out and says they accept that Apple's campus is worth $200, I will literally rip my 7700k out of my system and smash it with a hammer.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

53 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I’m so sick of this. There are other Apple fanboys thank you. They are also very much worth the price. 2 Years free support and a great mobile OS, not to mention in-house design from the ground up has a cost.

So let's say that I were to destroy the building. Would I have to pay $200 in damages +laweyers and other legal fees?

I still wouldn't do it though as the plane ticket to California would be at least five times the price.

Just now, NMS said:

So let's say that I were to destroy the building. Would I have to pay $200 in damages +laweyers and other legal fees?

I still wouldn't do it though as the plane ticket to California would be at least five times the price.

Literally no insurer would insure it at that value.  Also, a good insurer wouldn't rely on the tax assessment for property value.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

i wish everyone would just stop paying all forms off taxes like this companies do. why should we pay when they don't stand to our same obligations?

I say let's all take a page from their books and use their tactics to avoid taxes, it's not illegal anyway.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

Only if you don't understand the bureaucratic process.   I personally hate apple and google, however I can't fault them for playing the game by the governments rules.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

i wish everyone would just stop paying all forms off taxes like this companies do. why should we pay when they don't stand to our same obligations?

I say let's all take a page from their books and use their tactics to avoid taxes, it's not illegal anyway.

It's one of those capitalist things. Our taxes are paying for what they're getting away with. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It's one of those capitalist things

It has nothing to do with capitalism.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

What a company. #1 example of overrated. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

This is either fraud or transparent stalling to hold up their taxes in legal proceedings. Either way, there's a difference between paying the least amount of taxes you are legally liable to, which every company has the 'responsibility' to do, and whatever the fuck this practice is. Kinda really scummy. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Exactly why I hate Apple as a company.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Posted · Original PosterOP
28 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

transparent stalling to hold up their taxes in legal proceedings

This seems to be the case as their 489 open cases range back to 2004

Did they think they would get away with this? I mean really, are they that stupid? I would have thought this story was a joke!

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Ahem.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Want-a-lower-tax-bill-So-do-Apple-and-Genentech-13148121.php?utm_campaign=thirdparty&utm_source=article&utm_medium=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ftechnology%2Fbusinessinsider%2Farticle%2FApple-is-reportedly-arguing-that-buildings-at-its-13154475.php

"In the Bay Area, Genentech and Apple are particularly aggressive in opposing tax assessors..."

"Genentech, the biotech giant best known for making blockbuster cancer drugs, has been embroiled in an 18-year battle with San Mateo County over the value of hundreds of pieces of equipment and machinery and dozens of parcels of land in its sprawling South San Francisco headquarters. "

First off, just because others are doing it doesn't make it right. Taken from your article:

“I don’t want to imply someone doesn’t have a right to contest their taxes if they believe the assessor has made an error. But that’s not what Genentech is doing,” said Deputy County Counsel Rebecca Archer. “They’re just filing and seeing what sticks, like throwing spaghetti at the wall. It’s working the system to the max in a way that’s not productive for taxpayers, for the companies (or) for the assessor.”

The practice, they say, forces local governments to hold millions of dollars in limbo that would otherwise go to taxpayer-funded programs like schools, roads and special districts, in case they have to issue refunds to the companies.

There is nothing illegal or unethical about appealing assessments. Companies are entitled to contest property assessments they believe are done improperly or inaccurately. But the tactics taken by Genentech, Apple and other large corporations, county assessors say, border on abusing the system.

Second it doesn't give a specific example of a google case undervaluing to that level, and I agree with swatson that taking averages is a bad way to look at that. I'd need some actual case details to believe fully that google is doing the same. Having said that, I have no doubt many of these companies are using this tactic, including google.

A bit of rant ahead:

The difference is where you assume i'm defending google. I have no intention of defending google if they are doing this, nor any company. The reason you assume i'm all against apple is because the people who are against apple are against it not for one single reason, but for many. Other companies do one thing, maybe two things wrong that really hit the news. Every time we turn around though, apple is in a different fight. it was headphone jacks, it was bricking phones repaired by 3rd parties after updates, it was disabling touchid after 3rd party repairs, it's notches, it's refusing to fix linus's pro, it's doing terrible repair jobs on snazzys pro with the vesa mount, it's the macbook keyboard, denying there's anything wrong with the keyboard, bad engineering practices, throttling phones because the battery is crap, then CHARGING to replace the battery, never admitting any wrong anywhere, not allowing authorized service providers to repair and rather force them to replace, but then not providing a supply of parts, the list goes on and on. and the worst part is, when we get upset at these stories so constantly, there's a barrage of comments from apple lovers defending everything. And I'm not talking just arguing price vs value. Even on this post, where apple is trying to intentionally lowball their taxes to a ridiculous degree, there's people like you saying either it's just business, it's smart, it's legal, or everyone's doing it. And especially with regards to the first company to hit the trillion dollar market cap, I expect to see better from the companies unofficially running our world. If the highest value company has to resort to flat out lying and trying to short the government of the taxes that help it's customers, then there's a problem. They can afford to be the richest, but they can't manage to pay their taxes? Families across the US exist well within the poverty and somehow manage to pay their taxes, but the company that can afford a billion dollar home, and not their only home mind you, can't scrape enough together to do the right thing? I expect more from these companies. And if google does the same thing and there's a big story, people will be pissed! you won't see the same degree of people defending them or samsung or lg from bad press the way apple is shielded. Take samsung as a good example. with the note 7, they were ripped into. There wasn't a crowd of people standing around samsung saying that it's alright because having a defect is legal. Vast crowds weren't praising and cheering them as they quickly rolled out replacements at no charge, and then did a final recall quickly when the replacements had a different defect. They developed a whole new testing/inspection procedure for their batteries and took an estimated 9 billion dollar loss from the fiasco. They lost market share. But if apple messes up, "you're using it wrong" and they never admit there's a problem with antennae placement, fans don't get angry at them, and the market share doesn't disappear. It's frustrating to me and many others that Apple is claimed to be of superior quality as to justify their pricing, but their customers never seem to hold them accountable to anywhere near the standard to which the same fans and the rest of us hold every other company we encounter accountable. Personally I don't like the OS, but that's just preference, and I have little problem with their physical products, the problem I have is their business practices. And this article is just another example of the reason I can never use their products.

10 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

$225 NZD. 

Related to Canadian Rubles or more valuable?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

I'll take 3 of thes please :D

/joke

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro