Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Funny enough before the recall we used to warranty out the whole shift knob. Then after the recall I got one with the button completely gone. I was like, uhhh how do you put this shit in drive. I guess the guy was legit sticking his finger all the way in there and pressing down on the finger that the button presses. Then I remove the shifter and there is pieces of the shifter damn near fused into the channels that the knob rides on. I had to take a file and make a new channel because we didn't have any shifters in stock. 

Normally I can do it in about a minute and it pays .3, that one took me a half hour. 

She said she put it up into park and the shifter just exploded parts all over, plastic and springs went flying all over. She called me on a Sunday in a PANIC freaking out about what part do we need to order and I was like 'uh we don't, you have a warranty'. They replaced the whole shifter BUT she had a shiny button and now it's just flat silver lol.

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

She said she put it up into park and the shifter just exploded parts all over, plastic and springs went flying all over. She called me on a Sunday in a PANIC freaking out about what part do we need to order and I was like 'uh we don't, you have a warranty'. They replaced the whole shifter BUT she had a shiny button and now it's just flat silver lol.

Thats really weird, all current gen CRVs I've seen have the flat silver button. Previous gens had the shiny one. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

16 minutes ago, vetali said:

Thats really weird, all current gen CRVs I've seen have the flat silver button. Previous gens had the shiny one. 

It's entirely possible she has no clue what's actually in her car and what anything looked like before. She's not always all there...

12 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

or with cars that split the radiators like a lot of civics, will give you the ability to fit a much bigger one in.

or that

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Just add multiple radiators /s

thats how corvette's do it... and its still not enough for the SC'd ones...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Well, I'm back at looking into Crown Victorias again. Convince me out of wanting one.

get an ex cop car .. they are cheap as hell ... and supposedly only issue is that they are gutless in stock form ...

not the worst option you are considering tbh :D 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

https://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPag...mp;g=04RK03K90B KillBoy
https://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPag...mp;g=0QAK03G803 129photos

Some shots of the group from yesterday, most of the cars are...rough...to be kind to them and most are from the 6th gen Celica Facebook group and not from the 6GC.net forums. The quality of vehicle between FB and forum is pretty staggering, then again the quality of content between FB and forums is also...anyway. My black 7th gen is easy to spot, it's the only black 7th gen and it looks SUPER boring going around corners because my suspension is sort of set up correctly or something. No drama with sliding, tire squealing, lifting tires, etc. except a couple instances and the car is SO SO SO easy to get back on track after a little under steer or the back end wants to come out a little bit. The Dunlop Z2 tires communicate VERY well and my setup is fairly forgiving and easy to control, you have to be doing something stupid to get into trouble with it. There was one spot where I had let a pair of very fast bikes pass me on a pull off and then I got into it hard to see if I could keep up through a sharp inside banked hairpin and some switch backs. I could keep up going down to the hairpin but in the hairpin I lifted an inside rear tire I think and then in the switch backs I just didn't try to keep up I just went back to racing myself. On the way up I managed to get my trans hot and it was flashing a warning light at me but didn't put me into limp mode or put on the A/T oil temp light. I guess I'll finally install that trans cooler! The car performed exactly like I anticipated that it would, crippled by the lack of gears but tearing it up in the curves anyway.  Zero issues with my brakes, of course. I kept them warm but never felt any fade, I wasn't using them hard except sporadically.

5 hours ago, warmmilk said:

or that

I thought they fixed that on the Z06 after a few years? Sometime around the ZR1 launch?

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

6 hours ago, warmmilk said:

or that

lets think about it a different way: How can we make the engine produce less heat at the same power level?

I don't think it's possible tho...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Also I've been vindicated!

https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6329277#post6329277

Someone else agrees with my conclusions about the alternator pulley swap.

In my Miata shifting is way smoother and easier when the A/C is off. Especially when I got the light flywheel I notice it more. 

So I can see why that’s beneficial 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 8/17/2019 at 8:52 AM, mb67 said:

IMG-20190810-100307.jpg

Can someone please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks the 1M bumper looks like absolute shit on non M E9Xs?

On 8/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

and this is probably my favorite color that a BMW was ever available in 
image.png.a3189b42b63b5d58b9f4109cc5b98d52.png

PepperyRectangularLeafcutterant-size_restricted.gif

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

13 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Can someone please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks the 1M bumper looks like absolute shit on E9Xs?

what about F22 M2 bumper? 
image.png.ade4e254db0b164a35ce1db09406d703.png
image.png.5dcc26df03fa191a8b7a030af4404361.png

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

8 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

I thought they fixed that on the Z06 after a few years? Sometime around the ZR1 launch?

well they fixed it in the fact that it doesn't go into limp mode with street duty or after half a lap on the track...  but on a 80-90° day they'll still go into limpmode before you can finish a 20 min session... and if you're fast enough even if its a 70's day

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

lets think about it a different way: How can we make the engine produce less heat at the same power level?

I don't think it's possible tho...

improve efficiency... before gm admitted this was something they needed to fix, lots of people where putting on bigger supercharges but tuned them to still make stock power and that helped a ton with heat.  the stock SC is fully maxed out on the Z06, its operating well past its optimal efficiency point...  but holy sh*tballs are they fast... I drove one last week and got a ride along at the track yesterday... just... damn

this is z06 in question.  the only non cooling mod on this car is wheels/tires.  cooling mods are the auto z06 rad (about 2x as thick, same thickness as most aftermarket rads) and DeWitt's custom oversized aux rad, 2x as wide as the oem optional aux rad and more than 3x thicker.  Couple weeks ago he was at a 92° track day (at Area27) and he managed to get it up to 250° coolant (260 is limpmode) in less than a 20 min session, iirc it was about 10-15 minutes.. and that was with some traffic that he had to slow down for.

and here's me at the same track, my new favorite track.  also have a new found appreciation for the 86 after tracking it all day.. engine is still a pile of asthmatic garbage, but the chassis is just lovely... and the tranmission... its really nothing special, but after my miata with the stupid unevenly spaced 4th gear, evenly spaced gearing is so nice.  and he made this pedal spacer and ziptied it to his gas pedal, heel/toe down shifting might as well be automated... its just so easy, basically just happens...  mod list is in the vid description.  its not my car so I'm leaving a bit of a safety margin.  The owners best time was a 2:05.47 and mine was 2:07.54.  I'll upload his vid later.

The track is amazing too!  learning curve is f*cking steep tho... the owner went off on his first lap, I went off in my first session half a lap after almost putting the car into the wall.  almost all corners, and pretty much all of those corners are blind, the only flat part is the front straight, and even thats not all that flat.  and on top of that, there are no sessions... its just open track 9-12 and 1-5, and they provide lunch.  2 downsides are its a 5 hour drive from me and it requires an annual membership of $1k (really not bad as far as track memberships go) and then you still have to pay for track days, but they're relatively cheap, starting at 275 and getting cheaper the more you do.  So I'll be sticking to being peoples guests :D 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

10 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

well they fixed it in the fact that it doesn't go into limp mode with street duty or after half a lap on the track...  but on a 80-90° day they'll still go into limpmode before you can finish a 20 min session... and if you're fast enough even if its a 70's day

improve efficiency... before gm admitted this was something they needed to fix, lots of people where putting on bigger supercharges but tuned them to still make stock power and that helped a ton with heat.  the stock SC is fully maxed out on the Z06, its operating well past its optimal efficiency point...  but holy sh*tballs are they fast... I drove one last week and got a ride along at the track yesterday... just... damn

this is z06 in question.  the only non cooling mod on this car is wheels/tires.  cooling mods are the auto z06 rad (about 2x as thick, same thickness as most aftermarket rads) and DeWitt's custom oversized aux rad, 2x as wide as the oem optional aux rad and more than 3x thicker.  Couple weeks ago he was at a 92° track day (at Area27) and he managed to get it up to 250° coolant (260 is limpmode) in less than a 20 min session, iirc it was about 10-15 minutes.. and that was with some traffic that he had to slow down for.

and here's me at the same track, my new favorite track.  also have a new found appreciation for the 86 after tracking it all day.. engine is still a pile of asthmatic garbage, but the chassis is just lovely... and the tranmission... its really nothing special, but after my miata with the stupid unevenly spaced 4th gear, evenly spaced gearing is so nice.  and he made this pedal spacer and ziptied it to his gas pedal, heel/toe down shifting might as well be automated... its just so easy, basically just happens...  mod list is in the vid description.  its not my car so I'm leaving a bit of a safety margin.  The owners best time was a 2:05.47 and mine was 2:07.54.  I'll upload his vid later.

The track is amazing too!  learning curve is f*cking steep tho... the owner went off on his first lap, I went off in my first session half a lap after almost putting the car into the wall.  almost all corners, and pretty much all of those corners are blind, the only flat part is the front straight, and even thats not all that flat.  and on top of that, there are no sessions... its just open track 9-12 and 1-5, and they provide lunch.  2 downsides are its a 5 hour drive from me and it requires an annual membership of $1k (really not bad as far as track memberships go) and then you still have to pay for track days, but they're relatively cheap, starting at 275 and getting cheaper the more you do.  So I'll be sticking to being peoples guests :D 

Area 27 has an amazing layout, everyone in the area loves it.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

In my Miata shifting is way smoother and easier when the A/C is off. Especially when I got the light flywheel I notice it more. 

So I can see why that’s beneficial 

Well the AC is a constant hard load, ki d of different.

17 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Area 27 has an amazing layout, everyone in the area loves it.

yeah, Z06 guy loved it too...

here's the BRZ owner driving his car at ORP

@bcredeur97

2 hours ago, warmmilk said:

yeah, Z06 guy loved it too...

here's the BRZ owner driving his car at ORP

@bcredeur97

that's a tough but cool track, very fast. also that overlay response is like instantaneous -- what are you (or he?) using to read the data? Not to mention it is just a great looking overlay in general.

Spoiler

Who's ready for a V10 swapped 240SX?? @warmmilk

@bcredeur97 looks like race chrono pro, which is half the price of Harrys lap timer pro.

https://racechrono.com/

Support for OBD-II readers; currently OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth, Kiwi 3, Tonwon BLE, Carista and any ELM327 based Wi-Fi OBD-II reader

Folding@Home | BOINC

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

that's a tough but cool track, very fast. also that overlay response is like instantaneous -- what are you (or he?) using to read the data? Not to mention it is just a great looking overlay in general.

its all my stuff (including pads and tires), he's far too cheap to spend money on anything like timing apps or whatever.

The app is RaceChrono, obd2 dongle is the Kiwi3, and gps is the XGPS160, camera is a gopro 3 black, that the z06 guy gave me cause he got tired of watching my shakey vids  (I'm too cheap to buy a camera) :D

for the most part I think I'm kinda likeing racechrono more right now, but HLT had a thing where it'd overlay the max and min speed of every straight and corner... I don't think racechrono does that... but it shows that within the app in the data review section.  I wish it had it in the vid too.  along with which gear is being used... HLT showed that too...

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Who's ready for a V10 swapped 240SX?? @warmmilk

@bcredeur97 looks like race chrono pro, which is half the price of Harrys lap timer pro.

https://racechrono.com/

i'm down for a v10 swapped just about anything...

DE7055E9-F47E-4200-A945-663FF29F0B48.JPG.60e9520d8d171f32fac1ff12b7593a48.JPGFFD8F1C5-EF8F-4198-A0EC-0CEE4757DFF5.JPG.b4a594368b11f6169caa7fe293a22abb.JPG4F87CCE2-9581-4B6D-9985-19D8BE4D7B69.JPG.12f157539ab587b18aff9d72f2c15bd0.JPGIMG_1859.jpg.b84c2d229255f0c88bd7775849ab6907.jpgIMG_1858.jpg.83ef9ed047ef26daaee82fbce1156734.jpgIMG_1865.jpg.6cb82874207e10e0629b67fd5fc4293d.jpgIMG_1860.jpg.057f0368c4883e8fbf404c710a9070f6.jpg

Some photos I took during the process of my less than $100 head gasket change. $43 head set from work and $45 for the machine shop to throw the head on the belt sander, several hours of work and cleaning and a lot of cursing. This was the least I could do for this poor engine; I honestly don't care about it that much because I have a $4,000 long block waiting to go in, but I'm really surprised it was still running as well as it was for having a blown head gasket for over a year. I only did the head gasket as it was absolutely necessary if I wanted to get ANY more miles out of this thing while I get the rest of the parts for the new engine. I watched as the machinist took SEVERAL passes on the head deck and he and I both agreed that it was VERY warped, especially between cylinders 2 and 3. Either way, cleaned up the block deck and pistons with WD-40 and scotch brite, put a new gasket and put the head back on. Tons of reassembly, a new oil drain plug/valve, and a new battery (from sitting in the garage for only 3 days smh) and it drives great, definitely gained back a lot of compression (you can hear the starter motor actually putting in some work now), no more magically disappearing coolant and a healthy amount of power gained back throughout the rev range and especially at higher RPMs.

After the job the only thing I really need to do is adjust the valve lash; after all that cleaning, machining, and reassembly one or more of the valves have excessive lash and have a pretty audible ticking. But I can solve that with some appropriately sized bucket shims. My built engine gave me loads of experience but nothing teaches you better than doing complex work like this on an in-service engine that you rely on. Overall it was still nerve-racking but I kept my cool and got it done, and still have a car to drive to work on Monday :)

Shaving the head down also bumps up CR a little bit so you've got a slightly faster motor than before.