DIY SSD made of SD Cards!

1. Stupidest?
  2. Also I guess Linus has no scissors around the complex...
  3. Linus's hands are either scratched up from handling too much electronics or are dry af O.o
  4. I'm making a gif from a section of this video.

What if you already have access to lots of spare SD cards? Does it support mixing SD cards of different sizes?

I'm going to go out and say yes. Because RAID 0 simply adds up all space. Tho I wouldn't trust data on a mixed bunch of SD cards thrown into a RAID 0 config... Unless you don't care about the data.

However you should read up on RAID 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0

This video should have been labeled "Useless shit for 38 dollars" because that's exactly what it is. Except in Linus's Logic that useless shit for $38 brings him much more than that spent in revenues.

Seriously, if we have to go down that road you might as well be frying eggs on peltiers. The pointlessness and stupidity coming out from you guys is turning a tech channel into a clown show, with the advertisements for ass wipes of all things topping the absurdity. What does a tech channel have to do with ass wipes???

Anybody with half a brain knows that SD cards running like that will begin to crap out after 6 months - that's about how often I replace them in my dash cams from the constant writing and erasing done. They SUCK at endurance - even the premium ones. And if you are dumb enough to drop $2300 on ten 400GB micro SD cards just to brag that you've got a 4TB SSD you need to get your head examined.

Now a more practical application for this would be to mount 10 micro SD cards so you can read and write to them individually, say you want to dump content from multiple cards to your PC simultaneously for editing/preview/archive. Honestly this POS would just function better as a 10 card reader.

7 minutes ago, poochyena said:

actually seems useful if you have a bunch of old micro SD cards laying around.

This is basically the only reason to buy this adapter. The problem is still that you shouldn't be putting anything you care about on it, nor should it be anything that you want fast speeds from. So it's not a good backup drive, it's not a good OS drive, and it's not even a good flash drive because of the piss poor performance. 

On top of that, I'd bet most people don't have a bulk supply of microSD cards much bigger than 16gb/32gb. At which point, you can buy a 128gb flash drive (which is certainly more reliable, and definitely faster in anything other than sequential read/writes) for $30, or a 256gb flash drive for $50. So for $8 less or $20 more, you get something all around better. 

Honestly, if you have a bunch of microSD cards lying around and want to use them for something, then just buy cheap usb to microsd adapters like this instead: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6704N22381.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i dont see the support for win 10. has anyone ran it in windows 10?

I would only see this remotely useful if it supported RAID6. Because of the fact that the NAND used in microSD cards is of the bottom of the bin quality.

12 minutes ago, lagittaja said:

I would only see this remotely useful if it supported RAID6. Because of the fact that the NAND used in microSD cards is of the bottom of the bin quality.

depends on which company you get them from.

i actually had thought about buying this a few months ago, but knew it was probably the worst possible idea.

if you have to actually buy the sd cards for it, its a huge waste of money, not to mention sd cards die really often

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 hours ago, Luscious said:

This video should have been labeled "Useless shit for 38 dollars" because that's exactly what it is. Except in Linus's Logic that useless shit for $38 brings him much more than that spent in revenues.

Seriously, if we have to go down that road you might as well be frying eggs on peltiers. The pointlessness and stupidity coming out from you guys is turning a tech channel into a clown show, with the advertisements for ass wipes of all things topping the absurdity. What does a tech channel have to do with ass wipes???

Anybody with half a brain knows that SD cards running like that will begin to crap out after 6 months - that's about how often I replace them in my dash cams from the constant writing and erasing done. They SUCK at endurance - even the premium ones. And if you are dumb enough to drop $2300 on ten 400GB micro SD cards just to brag that you've got a 4TB SSD you need to get your head examined.

Now a more practical application for this would be to mount 10 micro SD cards so you can read and write to them individually, say you want to dump content from multiple cards to your PC simultaneously for editing/preview/archive. Honestly this POS would just function better as a 10 card reader.

Wow, you are surprisingly angry just because LMG saw a weird interesting thing on the internet, bought the weird interesting thing and then posted a video of them poking and prodding the weird interesting thing.

If you were DUMB enough to spend the money LIKE Linus did on this, your just as easy to blame.....

Just because Linus does something in a video doesn't mean people should....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Wow, you are surprisingly angry just because LMG saw a weird interesting thing on the internet, bought the weird interesting thing and then posted a video of them poking and prodding the weird interesting thing.

Truth be told, when SSD's where first out I was wondering about using SD's myself for a OS disk. Rather happy I didn't, because one one minor thing Linus failed to mention... Limited read/write times.

Plus image promised: Weirdly posted as a MP4... 

https://i.imgur.com/PupnSTh.mp4

Edit: Got it in gif but it looks bad...

8facnkK.gif

If only it could do RAID 1. I could write a card for my phone, and 9 backups all at once.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Tell me could you guys follow the instructions and try one with maybe 10 non uhs-1 cards like 16 GB cards to make a 128 (roughly) and then run a test. Maybe the results and cost might average out.

1 hour ago, Douglas1 said:

Tell me could you guys follow the instructions and try one with maybe 10 non uhs-1 cards like 16 GB cards to make a 128 (roughly) and then run a test. Maybe the results and cost might average out.

It would work fine. 

But it would still be a horrendously horrible idea. The performance will still be utter garbage (at best the same performance LTT saw), the reliability will be nonexistant, and it will still cost three times as much as a cheap 128gb SSD that is better in every single way. Even a single 128gb microSD card would be a better and much cheaper option. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So, while this product is weird and interesting, I am outright baffled as to what 'problem' it solves.  As stated, you can do faster and cheaper with midrange SSDs.  It doesn't allow you to individually address drives so you couldn't use it as say, some insane multi concurrent MicroSD to use in a duplication setup, or really anything.  Not to mention the risks of 10 cards in RAID0.  It's like some company was just bored and wanted to make it 'Just Because'. o.O

May have made sense years ago.  The latency spikes reminds me of a Sandisk readycache 32GB drive I had back when SSD's were expensive enough to justify cache drives.  Eventually it was replaced and I tried to salvage it for my page file only, a separate SSD just for the page file, sounds awesome, but it wasn't, my system choked and the performance monitor showed the latency for the drive was closing on half a second just like in the video.  The original caching software must have been working around this terrible performance, which is probably why it barely did anything in the first place.

15 hours ago, Luscious said:

lol sorry I submitted this video idea, I guess they were short on ideas and decided to use it xD. However, it was somewhat interesting to see it, as it is something they haven't done before.

What were the settings for the "Instantaneous Disk Speed" graph shown at 6:36 ?

10 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It would work fine. 

But it would still be a horrendously horrible idea. The performance will still be utter garbage (at best the same performance LTT saw), the reliability will be nonexistant, and it will still cost three times as much as a cheap 128gb SSD that is better in every single way. Even a single 128gb microSD card would be a better and much cheaper option. 

I would say this is a good device to use a bunch of old cards for, but a)this thing is way too pricy, b) RAID0 on a bunch of SD cards doesn't seem like a good idea, and c) for a reliable/speedy storage drive a proper SSD is still the (vastly) better $/perf.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 2/8/2018 at 7:37 AM, Egg-Roll said:

I'm going to go out and say yes. Because RAID 0 simply adds up all space. Tho I wouldn't trust data on a mixed bunch of SD cards thrown into a RAID 0 config... Unless you don't care about the data.

However you should read up on RAID 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0

Well, it doesn't add up *all* space. That would be JBOD. Your capacity in RAID0 will be limited to the number of cards times the capacity of the *smallest* card, due to striping.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:47 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Fair argument, except that I'm not angry here, purely smh. There's a line between weird and interesting versus stupid and useless, including spending $1400 on a wooden keyboard.

Your target audience also is no longer tech enthusiasts when you begin to show videos of tampon shopping and ass wipe advertisements. There is a clear and evident "brain drain" going on at LMG because the content of recent is lacking in tech usefulness while the delivery has lost it's professionalism.

Should my concerns be addressed elsewhere? I doubt Linus would care much less listen to good advice. Except when stupid and useless begins to alienate the core audience and no longer puts the bread on the table it will be lights out for LMG.