DIY SSD made of SD Cards!

On 2/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, Douglas1 said:

Tell me could you guys follow the instructions and try one with maybe 10 non uhs-1 cards like 16 GB cards to make a 128 (roughly) and then run a test. Maybe the results and cost might average out.

Yes, some hardware makers, like it's board, are from non-english speaker countries... Then, the instructions said Won't work, instead of: It doesn't work properly... Try NON-UHS SDs. It could surprise you...

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

Fair argument, except that I'm not angry here, purely smh. There's a line between weird and interesting versus stupid and useless, including spending $1400 on a wooden keyboard.

Your target audience also is no longer tech enthusiasts when you begin to show videos of tampon shopping and ass wipe advertisements. There is a clear and evident "brain drain" going on at LMG because the content of recent is lacking in tech usefulness while the delivery has lost it's professionalism.

Should my concerns be addressed elsewhere? I doubt Linus would care much less listen to good advice. Except when stupid and useless begins to alienate the core audience and no longer puts the bread on the table it will be lights out for LMG.

No, it's clearly anger and your hyper focusing on points irrationally to support that anger.  So, let's break it down;

1) LTT's core demographic is millennials in western nation which are the demographic most strongly shifting towards cord cutting and eCommerce.  This is the same demographic of Dollar Shave Club, which undercuts brick and mortar shave product sales and delivers it straight to people's door.  You want to be angry so you just one side product so you can shout out 'ass wipe' as often as you can.

2) Again, same demographic, same interest in a store that allows shopping without checkout.  Not to mention discussing the underlying technology that allows for someone to 'just walk out the door' and get billed anyway.  That's interesting to many people who follow technology and to a demographic that spends less and less time in physical stores.  You just want to focus on the singular item he tried to 'steal' to test the system and then demo the refund function.

3) This SSD made of SD cards is stupid.  No doubt.  No one even defends that.  But that's what makes it interesting to many.  It's a weird, interesting tech thing, that is seemingly useless and solves no problems and it's interesting to see it tested.  For many who are interested in tech it's not 'Oh I bet it's good!' it's 'I know this is stupid, but I'm curious to find out exactly HOW stupid or if it has any oddball surprises like being EXTRA stupid or LESS stupid than expected in certain ways'.  A major drive in those interested in tech is curiosity.  To poke something and see what happens.  To think 'what will probably happen' and then see 'what really does happen'.  You on the other hand just want to be angry about things.

It's the same kind of curiosity that leads me to take a six year old laptop and rebuild it into a SFF desktop and hook large GPUs up to and including a GTX 1080 to it. :)  Cause to many that's what a lot of tech is, it's saying 'What the hell, let's try it!'.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:07 PM, Egg-Roll said:
  1. Stupidest?
  2. Also I guess Linus has no scissors around the complex...
  3. Linus's hands are either scratched up from handling too much electronics or are dry af O.o
  4. I'm making a gif from a section of this video.

I'm going to go out and say yes. Because RAID 0 simply adds up all space. Tho I wouldn't trust data on a mixed bunch of SD cards thrown into a RAID 0 config... Unless you don't care about the data.

However you should read up on RAID 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0

@Egg-Roll just so you know, that's incorrect information. RAID0 stripes data across all "drives" (SD cards), so it will add up all the drives, but each drive will only be as "big" as the SMALLEST drive.

So, sure, you can mix 6x 32GB, 4x 64GB, and 2x 128GB drives (704GB total space). But it will treat all drives as 32GB in size, and you'll only get 384GB of total usable space.

On 2/7/2018 at 8:00 PM, SkilledRebuilds said:

If you were DUMB enough to spend the money LIKE Linus did on this, your just as easy to blame.....

Just because Linus does something in a video doesn't mean people should....

Agreed - Linus is spending the money on this to SHOW US how stupid it is, so that we don't have to spend money on it ourselves.

13 hours ago, Cyanara said:

Well, it doesn't add up *all* space. That would be JBOD. Your capacity in RAID0 will be limited to the number of cards times the capacity of the *smallest* card, due to striping.

Agreed.

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

Fair argument, except that I'm not angry here, purely smh. There's a line between weird and interesting versus stupid and useless, including spending $1400 on a wooden keyboard.

Your target audience also is no longer tech enthusiasts when you begin to show videos of tampon shopping and ass wipe advertisements. There is a clear and evident "brain drain" going on at LMG because the content of recent is lacking in tech usefulness while the delivery has lost it's professionalism.

Should my concerns be addressed elsewhere? I doubt Linus would care much less listen to good advice. Except when stupid and useless begins to alienate the core audience and no longer puts the bread on the table it will be lights out for LMG.

As @AshleyAshes already explained, you're very much misunderstanding (or intentionally misrepresenting, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) this video, and the complaints you have in general.

Ass wipes, as you seem to like saying, are marketed at the main demographic of this channel. But ass wipes, are simply a side product that Dollar Shave Club sells. The main product, razors for cheap, is very much relevant to the primary demographic.

Also, the tampon video, as you are no doubt aware of, is about Amazon's amazing high tech cashless store system. The Tampons (Pads, really, but Linus explained this in detail) are simply a tag line to make it more interesting, and to showcase how he tried (and failed) to confuse the system.

If you have a problem with content, why don't you suggest some more interesting content to them?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

@Egg-Roll just so you know, that's incorrect information. RAID0 stripes data across all "drives" (SD cards), so it will add up all the drives, but each drive will only be as "big" as the SMALLEST drive.

So, sure, you can mix 6x 32GB, 4x 64GB, and 2x 128GB drives (704GB total space). But it will treat all drives as 32GB in size, and you'll only get 384GB of total usable space.

A RAID 0 setup can be created with disks of differing sizes, but the storage space added to the array by each disk is limited to the size of the smallest disk. For example, if a 120 GB disk is striped together with a 320 GB disk, the size of the array will be 120 GB × 2 = 240 GB. However, some RAID implementations allow the remaining 200 GB to be used for other purposes.

That parts actually correct :P How correct the last part of the quoted sentence idk.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

That parts actually correct :P How correct the last part of the quoted sentence idk.

If you are referring to this statement:

However, some RAID implementations allow the remaining 200 GB to be used for other purposes.

then, "some RAID implementations" means "non-standard RAID implementations".

Actual, real, standard RAID0 will NOT allow the remaining 200GB to be used at all - whether in the RAID0 array, or as extra space for another volume.

I know it can be confusing though, as the article wasn't really clear on that.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm still waiting for someone to buy it, only to come here and say they bought it because of the video only to find out they lost all their data.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

I'm still waiting for someone to buy it, only to come here and say they bought it because of the video only to find out they lost all their data.

If -anyone- watched this video and their take away was 'This thing is super great and you should buy one' that's probably their own fault.

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

If -anyone- watched this video and their take away was 'This thing is super great and you should buy one' that's probably their own fault.

Yeah - I simply wouldn't trust this thing to hold my data for any extended amounts of time. And because it's not convenient to use as an SD Card Dock, then it's pretty much pointless.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah - I simply wouldn't trust this thing to hold my data for any extended amounts of time. And because it's not convenient to use as an SD Card Dock, then it's pretty much pointless.

Yeah, I literally can't imagine up any practical use for this thing.  The BEST anyone has come up with here is 'What if you have a bunch of used small SD cards?'  Well, this thing cost $38 so the solution is obvious: Throw away your old tiny SD cards and just buy a single 64 or 128GB card cause you def don't want this silly thing.

Speaking of which, I really need to get around to buying a 128GB card for my Dreamcast that I put a GDEMU into.

On 2/7/2018 at 9:22 PM, nicklmg said:

Learn more about this weird product: http://geni.us/t5XPZe

Buy Micro SD cards on Amazon: http://geni.us/mvD06B

Does it make ANY sense to make your OWN SSD from Micro SD cards?

I can understand the idea of many things... But that one makes no real sense at all :$.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:52 PM, Add Bristol said:

Wonder if Linus has seen Mini PCI-E SD adapters. We might need a sequel to this video!

c95ce845-368f-4153-b4e1-dc995a70130a.png

now i want one!