AMD Epyc 7000 series revealed

NumLock21
Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Exactly, but I still think that comparing EPYC to older Broadwell Xeons isn't very fair, since Skylake-X is quite a bit better (more L2 cache, better IPC, AVX-512 etc)

While that's fair, there are no benchmarks for AMD to compare against.  The only benchmark is the current gen of Xeons, so it's not unreasonable.

26 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Does this say what the performance stats are based on? Can't find it in the article or pics.

Most likely an integer/float arithmetic test. That's were zen excels. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I would also, but make sure the boss isn't watching, or if he is tell him the rival company is beating their scores and hope he has a competitive nature and enjoys some joking around with thousands of dollars of equipment because go big or go home. 

hell yah, cant have that other company winning the benchmark battle!

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Why is virtualization bad? Are there pass through issues?

yah passthrough issues with PCIe IIRC

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

As Linus mentioned, it might be two but the principle is still the same. 

but its not a single CPU anymore, not that i wouldent want to see 32 gamers one tower though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk, Linus once said on the Wan Show that the creators of UnRaid told him that virtualization on Ryzen isn't a very good experience

It was an issue because of how IOMMU was handled, they are fixing it or maybe already did in the new update.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Exactly, but I still think that comparing EPYC to older Broadwell Xeons isn't very fair, since Skylake-X is quite a bit better (more L2 cache, better IPC, AVX-512 etc)

How isn't it fair ?  It's the best Intel has to offer as of right now. People can't make numbers up for not yet released CPU.

By this logic it's not fair for nvidia to compare their cards to r9 fury X's and RX 580 since Vega beat what AMD currently offers. But as we all know, if amd didn't want that they should have released their cards already :)

I maybe missing something here. 

the lowest tiered EPYC cpu will be >$400. But for roughly about that price, one could buy a ryzen 1800x with better overclocking and lower TDP. 

So I understand that these are server grade chips, what I don't understand is the purpose behind the 8C/16T Epyc cpu. I suppose the 16C/32T threadripper cpu could also fall into the same boat

Why would they build a product that competes with another one of their own products? 

I think I'm missing something here

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

but its not a single CPU anymore, not that i wouldent want to see 32 gamers one tower though

They could use the mega case from corsair, having the mini ITX build for the game server, and the other dual CPU quad GPU system for the players. They could easily make a zero latency cs go 10 vs 10 player game with that.

3 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

the lowest tiered EPYC cpu will be >$400. But for roughly about that price, one could buy a ryzen 1800x with better overclocking and lower TDP. 

So I understand that these are server grade chips, what I don't understand is the purpose behind the 8C/16T Epyc cpu. I suppose the 16C/32T threadripper cpu could also fall into the same boat

Why would they build a product that competes with another one of their own products? 

While I agree that the 8-core variant is a bit puzzling, it's not really competing.  There are use-case scenarios whereby someone might not need much processing power, but does need the additional PCIe lanes and memory bandwidth that Epyc offers.

*EDIT*
Remember that Epyc offers double both the memory bandwidth and the PCIe lanes of even TR, much less that of Ryzen.

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Most likely an integer/float arithmetic test. That's were zen excels. 

That's actually exactly what it is.

According to wikipedia SpecINT of CPU2006 software suite uses a combination of Interger Performance Testing(CINT2006) and Floating point testing(CFP 2006).

I just don't know how I've been oblivious to this software for my entire life.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

A PCIe storage server would not need a lot of cores but would love RAM and PCIe lanes which the 8 core part has 8-channel ram and 128 PCIe lanes.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

A PCIe storage server would not need a lot of cores but would love RAM and PCIe lanes which the 8 core part has 8-channel ram and 128 PCIe lanes.

that makes sense

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

and amd will just slap another zeppling die on to the substrate and beat them ahah

"Starship" was on their roadmap since the Zen architecture was figured out, which pointed to a 48c/96t server CPU. So Zen 2 is either a 6-core CCX design or they're expecting to put a 6-package CPU together in 2019.  

The 8c/16t part surprised me a little, until I remembered that the sucker is still going to have all of the PCIe lanes and the massive memory through-put. Depending on the workload, that's really useful for some folks.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Performance looks promising, but:

• AVX performance is clearly not taken into account
  • They are comparing EPYC to older Xeons, we don't know how EPYC stacks up vs Skylake Xeons

Skylake-E will not be cheap.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

"Starship" was on their roadmap since the Zen architecture was figured out, which pointed to a 48c/96t server CPU. So Zen 2 is either a 6-core CCX design or they're expecting to put a 6-package CPU together in 2019.  

The 8c/16t part surprised me a little, until I remembered that the sucker is still going to have all of the PCIe lanes and the massive memory through-put. Depending on the workload, that's really useful for some folks.

if they are compatible with the existing socket then it is a high chance it is 6c CCX which would make AM4 parts be up to 12c TR4 up to 24c and (what ever socket epyc is) 48c

reasoning behind this is that they would still use 1 channel memory per CCX.

2 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Oh god. intel what u gonna do

stress release CPU with 48 cores, but to use more than 24 cores you need to buy additional 3000$ priced CPU raid controller. 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

stress release CPU with 48 cores, but to use more than 24 cores you need to buy additional 3000$ priced CPU raid controller. 

The next thing intel will do it you need to buy keys to unlock extra PCIe lanes.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

The next thing intel will do it you need to buy keys to unlock extra PCIe lanes.

And it won't be officially supported, like 3 and 4 way SLI xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, GrayTech said:

And I "only" have a 6 core CPU.

xD 

LOL :P

Well, you aren't running a server application feeding 100s of users..

Over clock 32c/64T to 4.5ghz on water 128gb 3200mhz RAM 8channel, 100GB/s+  bandwidth uhuhuhu.

Optane like Drive 2TB nvme, with 2x Vega/Volta,  with Vulkan multicore API playing Total War Medieval 3 simulating 100k units  vs 100k units real time battles.

Now that is gaming, the future is exciting.

lSiuGTs.gif

What are the prices thats its important are they competitive with intel or expensiv?

4 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Over clock 32c/64T to 4.5ghz on water 128gb 3200mhz RAM 8channel, 100GB/s+  bandwidth uhuhuhu.

Optane like Drive 2TB nvme, with 2x Vega/Volta,  with Vulkan multicore API playing Total War Medieval 3 simulating 100k units  vs 100k units real time battles.

Now that is gaming, the future is exciting.

lSiuGTs.gif

What are the prices thats its important are they competitive with intel or expensiv?

I don't think you can get 32 cores to 4.5 GHz on water cooling xD

1 hour ago, fastcar123 said:

I guess it's just that it is on the server socket SP3, so it works on those server motherboards. AMD will be hoping to sell them in large quantities to guys like HP and Dell who ship out servers to be placed in data centers. Those guys won't build serious servers around AM4 or TR4. Apart from the featureset the platform has to be reliable enough to just throw into a server rack and work 24x7 for years.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Virtualization on Ryzen isn't very good, so don't get your hopes up...

in what way? 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, Humbug said:

I guess it's just that it is on the server socket SP3, so it works on those server motherboards. AMD will be hoping to sell them in large quantities to guys like HP and Dell who ship out servers to be placed in data centers. Those guys won't build serious servers around AM4 or TR4. The platform has to be reliable enough to just throw into a server rack and work 24x7 for years.

It'll be a while before AMD makes too much progress in the Server market, but there'll be room.  That's a LOT of cores at a much lower, generally, price than Intel offers. The important part about Intel's server stack is that they have a huge list of server products available by list.  And all of them can be semi-custom bought as well. An absolutely massive "get" for AMD is if Amazon, Google or Facebook are interested in buying volume.

I also expect Linus to get a 2U server and OC it to 3.9 Ghz all-core. HAHA.

14 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

in what way? 

They were having significant virtualization teething problems at the release of Ryzen. However they have have had significant success in solving those problems since and have had dedicated teams working with various companies on the issue. Whether any significant issues remain is difficult to say.

Addendum - Also, someone at Intel had to have shat their pants when they saw the leaked prices.

Edited by ravenshrike

Just now, ravenshrike said:

They were having significant virtualization teething problems at the release of Ryzen. However they have have had significant success in solving those problems since and have had dedicated teams working with various companies on the issue. Whether any significant issues remain is difficult to say.

ive never had any problems with vmware or virtual box

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB