3D printer kills couple and their cats

NumLock21

BERKELEY (CBS SF) – A couple found dead in their Berkeley home under mysterious circumstances earlier this week was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, a law enforcement source told KPIX 5 Friday.

A couple was found dead on Monday afternoon by authorities in their home. The couple were both MIT graduates and they had two cats. The building was evacuated and the Fire Department's hazardous team was bought in to check out if there was anything wrong with the building. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then a few days later results came in and the couple showed signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Both the couple and their cats were killed by their 3D printer when it, vented carbon monoxide into their home.

Not too sure how much toxic fumes a 3d printer releases. On the other hand, it's said that toner emitted from laser printer is like second hand smoke, so a 3D one is probably much worse?  As for the couple and their pet, rip.

478475-makerbot-replicator-desktop-3d-pr

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/27/source-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-killed-berkeley-couple/

update

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Doesn't fit the Tech News format.

My question would be "Why didn't the CO detectors go off?"

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

maybe they didnt have one?

Is it normal for a 3D printer to vent deadly levels of CO? Or was there just terrible ventilation? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Rest in pieces...this is not gonna go well for 3D printer's reputation :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

maybe they didnt have one?

CO monitors are required in 20 states, last time I checked, and California is one of them.

2 minutes ago, suits said:

I'd venture to say the majority of people don't have CO sensors. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

CO monitors are required in 20 states, last time I checked, and California is one of them.

That doesn't mean they follow the guidelines/law. A lot of homes don't even have smoke detectors because they don't want to deal with it going off in the middle of the night. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That leaves 30 states where I doubt 10% of be people have them. Michigan no one has them. 

moved to general discussion.  @NumLock21 fix your post to meet tech news and reviews guidelines and it'll be moved it back

and thanks for reminding me to get a co detector ^_^

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They may not have needed one.  In California you only require a CO detector if your home has gas burning appliances.  If they were otherwise electric, by default their home would not have needed one, except that they didn't understand the CO risk from the printer and thusly didn't properly equip.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That doesn't mean they follow the guidelines. A lot of homes don't even have smoke detectors because they don't want to deal with it going off in the middle of the night. 

For real, you'd be surprised how many people take the batteries out of smoke detectors. Lot of people get caught when inspector comes for house improvements, and not that many people doing house improvements. 

Damn, when I saw the title I was really like "How can a 3D printer kill someone?". I didn't know they could release that much gas.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

RIP to those that died, but 3D printing wasn't the cause. A member of the 3D printing community I am apart of looked into it a bit more, turned out they owned multiple laser cutters as well as 3D printers, if they did die by the fumes it was most likely the laser cutters. 

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Damn.

Just how does a 3D printer produce that much CO? No, how does it produce any at all?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/carbon-monoxide-detectors-state-statutes.aspx

Spoiler

California

Cal. Health & Safety Code § 17926 to 17926.2 – Regulation of Buildings Used for Human Habitation

Requires the owner of every single family dwelling, hotel and motel dwelling units and all other existing dwelling units intended for human occupancy to maintain a carbon monoxide devise in the unit. A tenant shall be responsible for notifying the owner or owner's agent if the tenant becomes aware of an inoperable or deficient carbon monoxide device within his or her unit.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Found a post by one of their friends.

Hi folks. Val and Roger were dear friends, and I am on the ground here, and I'd like to respectfully ask that you refrain from speculation. The press is rushing to print sensational items, and they don't know the actual facts.
I've been talking to the police directly, and nothing is conclusive yet. Nothing has actually been ruled out, nor determined to be the cause. They don't even have full toxicology reports yet, those take days and sometimes weeks.
On a personal note, I can tell you that there were two devices in the house, a small 3D printer, and a small laser cutter, that were used for building models and rigs for scientific research. Val was an immaculate engineer, and conformed to all safety rules in operating these machines. To the best of our knowledge, neither of the machines were operating the night they passed away.
Again, please refrain from fear-mongering and speculation. I know it's natural for engineers to attack unsolved problems, but you are not working with correct or full data. Once more data is available, we will write up a complete and truthful statement to try and provide closure on this issue.

Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

2 minutes ago, AddonCustoms said:

RIP to those that died, but 3D printing wasn't the cause. A member of the 3D printing community I am apart of looked into it a bit more, turned out they owned multiple laser cutters as well as 3D printers, if they did die by the fumes it was most likely the laser cutters. 

According to the article...

The source said that the couple was using a laser 3-D printer that was venting into their residence.

So my question: What the hell is a laser 3D printer? Are they talking about SLA printers? Do those produce CO?

Or is the writer just an idiot?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

So my question: What the hell is a laser 3D printer? Are they talking about SLA printers? Do those produce CO?

Being an unoffical report, it's possible the writer was not given accurate information.

That said, there are laser 3D printers, but they are big, expensive, high end devices.  They're not something you'd typically see a hobbiest install into a home.

Laser engravers and cutters can also be a serious risk too.  Particularly if you're cutting ABS since it'll release hydrogen cyanide gas.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

That said, there are laser 3D printers, but they are big, expensive, high end devices.  They're not something you'd typically see a hobbiest install into a home.

Which is why I mentioned SLA printers.

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

Don't get me started on that lol.  3D Printers and Lasers are separate, yet some call a laser cutter a 3d laser printer, no idea why as it is not.

Addon Customs -

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/carbon-monoxide-detectors-state-statutes.aspx

Hide contents

California

Cal. Health & Safety Code § 17926 to 17926.2 – Regulation of Buildings Used for Human Habitation

Requires the owner of every single family dwelling, hotel and motel dwelling units and all other existing dwelling units intended for human occupancy to maintain a carbon monoxide devise in the unit. A tenant shall be responsible for notifying the owner or owner's agent if the tenant becomes aware of an inoperable or deficient carbon monoxide device within his or her unit.

I don't deny that it's required. But it's very hard to enforce and a lot of people won't use them for one reason or another or they won't have replaced theirs recently enough and it's now too old to work. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AddonCustoms said:

Don't get me started on that lol. 3D Printers and Lasers are separate, yet some call a laser cutter a 3d laser printer, no idea why as it is not.

I just found Glowforge.

Now I want to kick someone's teeth in.

6 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I just found Glowforge.

Now I want to kick someone's teeth in.

OH GOD!!! You found what I was referring to... Horrible product, but a fantastic marketing team.

Due to the reporter mentioning "3D Laser Printer" some people in the laser/3dprinting community I am a part of stated it must have been a GlowForge as they are the main people that refer to lasers as "3D Laser Printers", someone claiming to be the CEO of Glowforge said that their machine was not involved in this incident, but I cannot be 100% sure that they were who they said they were.

EDIT: Can confirm it was the CEO of GlowForge that responded.

Addon Customs -

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't deny that it's required. But it's very hard to enforce and a lot of people won't use them for one reason or another or they won't have replaced theirs recently enough and it's now too old to work. 

It's hard to enforce, but it's one of those common sense items (like a fire alarm) that you should have regardless of what the owner thinks. Especially given the fact that the couple were engineers and would have been aware of the device's utility.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler