3D printer kills couple and their cats

NumLock21
18 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

But when the house is built, I'd wager that a CO detector was put in by the builders.

Was the house built recently? Did the owners disconnect it after the inspector left? Did they use a quality CO detector or some piece of junk that broke? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I can tell you without a doubt that the 3d printer and laser had nothing to do with what happened to them. Its just the media jumping on sensationalist headlines. The only way a 3d printer will "vent" carbon monoxide is is you set the whole thing on fire. You have a much more immediate danger that carbon monoxide at that point. This journalist obviously is taking advantage of what happened simply because these people owned the machines. There is such a incredibly high amount of misinformation in that article that it hurts to read.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

13 minutes ago, bob345 said:

I can tell you without a doubt that the 3d printer and laser had nothing to do with what happened to them. Its just the media jumping on sensationalist headlines. The only way a 3d printer will "vent" carbon monoxide is is you set the whole thing on fire. You have a much more immediate danger that carbon monoxide at that point. This journalist obviously is taking advantage of what happened simply because these people owned the machines. There is such a incredibly high amount of misinformation in that article that it hurts to read.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I think conclusions are being jumped to as said. Maybe the laser cutter, but I doubt that too. Probably just a common source. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's kind of stupid to have smoke detectors that don't work in a power failure (although, the likelihood of a fire and losing power -- either from the fire or something else isn't super high).

Also, this may not be the case, but the law should require smoke detectors with a battery backup. 

they are hardwired with a batter backup 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Annnnnd queue a ban on 3d printers in residential homes....

"For safety"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

fake news/clickbait, it was a laser cutter

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

17 hours ago, Litargirio said:

No, how does it produce any at all?

Well the most common 2 types of plastics used for 3D printing is PLA and ABS...

What happens when you melt plastic? It gives off smoke/fumes, is ABS much more toxic than PLA, yep so if they were printing with ABS in an enclosed space then...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

18 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

A couple was found dead on Monday afternoon by authorities in their home. The couple are both MIT graduates and they have two cats. The building was evacuated and the Fire Department hazardous team was bought in to check out if there was anything wrong with the building. They can't find anything wrong with it. Then a few days later results came in and the couple had signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Both the couple and their cats was killed by their 3D printer when it, vented carbon monoxide into their home.

Not too sure how much toxic fumes a 3d printer releases. On the other hand, it's said that toner emitted from laser printer is like second hand smoke, so a 3D one is probably much worse?  As for the couple and their pet, rip.

Fixed version, sorry but this was playing havock with my OCD for proper English.

A couple was found dead on Monday afternoon by authorities in their home. The couple were both MIT graduates and they had two cats. The building was evacuated and the Fire Department's hazardous team was bought in to check out if there was anything wrong with the building. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then a few days later results came in and the couple showed signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Both the couple and their cats were killed by their 3D printer when it, vented carbon monoxide into their home.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Fixed version, sorry but this was playing havock with my OCD for proper English.

I wasn't paying too much attention to what i was typing. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I'll leave this here for those uneducated about 3D printers

EDIT: Jesus Christ... I seriously did not see bob345's post.... I posted this after being awake for 26 straight hours. sozza

7 hours ago, TehStranger said:

@NumLock21 Can you please add my previous post to the OP? I think this situation needs some light shed on it...

The op is for any updates to the news itself. Not some yt dude who says 3d printer is not the cause, as if he's really conclusive with his opinion. 

Sozza :D

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

The op is for any updates to the news itself. Not some yt dude who says 3d printer is not the cause, as if he's really conclusive with his opinion. 

Sozza :D

Let me ask you something: Do you have any in depth experience with 3D printers? Better yet, do you actually own one?

6 minutes ago, TehStranger said:

Let me ask you something: Do you have any in depth experience with 3D printers? Better yet, do you actually own one?

I have no experience with 3D printers nor do I own one. Why?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

On 1/28/2017 at 5:38 PM, NumLock21 said:

Changed it multiple times. And reset don't seem to work. 

CO detectors have expiration dates.  The one I have in my apartment mentions that it will give the intermittent alarm chirp when this occurs, meaning it is time to replace the entire unit.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I have no experience with 3D printers nor do I own one. Why?

Ahh, that explains it...

1 minute ago, TehStranger said:

Ahh, that explains it...

So your saying because i have no experience with 3d printers, you think i actually believe in what the press says?

Lol

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

So your saying because i have no experience with 3d printers, you think i actually believe in what the press says?

Lol

Maybe. You don't seem to want to spread the truth, so what other reason would there be? What that "dude" said in the video is nothing but facts, so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to inform people that the news articles are bullshit...

19 minutes ago, TehStranger said:

Maybe. You don't seem to want to spread the truth, so what other reason would there be? What that "dude" said in the video is nothing but facts, so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to inform people that the news articles are bullshit...

The OP informs people appropriately with the updated link that was included. It takes less time to read that than listening to someone rant, especially when they omit information as "it didn't flow with the story".

every godam tutorial and company clearly states to only use plastics that emit noxious fumes (like abs) in well vented rooms. Event the cheapo abs filament from china says so on the rolls.

19 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

im more sad that we lost TWO MIT graduates from the world

how smart could they be if the used a 3d printer unsupervised in an under ventilated room?

On 1/29/2017 at 7:31 PM, TehStranger said:

I'll leave this here for those uneducated about 3D printers

EDIT: Jesus Christ... I seriously did not see bob345's post.... I posted this after being awake for 26 straight hours. sozza

the video creator is such a hypocrite

he slams the media for misrepresenting the incident while not telling the truth about 3D printers and laser cutters

ABS, nylon plastics are dangerous and especially dangerous in non ventilated rooms

laser cutters, depending what you cut with them can produce very toxic fumes - same problem as above

and they were MIT grads? plus the victim(s) complained previously about dizziness?

poor cats

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

the video creator is such a hypocrite

he slams the media for misrepresenting the incident while not telling the truth about 3D printers and laser cutters

ABS, nylon plastics are dangerous and especially dangerous in non ventilated rooms

laser cutters, depending what you cut with them can produce very toxic fumes - same problem as above

and they were MIT grads? plus the victim(s) complained previously about dizziness?

poor cats

The article said "laser 3D printer" and then showed videos of FDM printers printing, no mention of laser cutters. The point is, the people writing this BS didn't even bother to do their research on these machines and then throw 3D printing into the public's crosshairs. Yes, ABS, Nylon and other plastics can and do produce toxic fumes, but there's no evidence of the victims using those plastics or if they used something less harmful, like PLA for example. I don't think they'd sit in a room with ABS printing, the smell is unbearable and it doesn't take a genius to know the fumes can't be very good for your health...