US voting machines are vulnerable to hackers

Cylance has disclosed a hack that shows how vulnerable US election voting machines are. This hack has previously been theorized but this is the first time we can actually see it in action, on an actual voting machine used in the 2008 election. For me personally this just shows again why voting machines are a bad idea, but i already know loads of people are going to disagree on this.

tom scott did a great piece for computerphile on why electronic voting is a bad idea. remember that this is just my and tom's perspective on the issue and do research and think about it yourself before pulling a conclusion from this.

for a lot of people this election is one of the foulest they experienced, with reports even saying that the 2 main candidates are the least liked candidates ever. it feels like one giant mud throwing contest. some people have even said that voter fraud caused Bernie Sanders to lose the race to presidential candidate for the Democrats with this as source: http://www.electoralsystemincrisis.org/

in an article from cylance they describe the hack in detail and give some references to older researches on these specific machines

Similar methods of exploitation have been proposed on a theoretical basis by other researchers, such as those in the 2007 paper 'Source Code Review of the Sequoia Voting System' (PDF), and then later discussed in the Politico article 'How to Hack an Election in 7 Minutes', but Cylance is the first to demonstrate an exploit in a real-world scenario.

they also described their proposals on how to protect voting machines against this type of voter fraud

In the short term, for the upcoming 2016 election, Cylance recommends:

•  Increased supervision/ monitoring of physical access to electronic voting machines, especially as it pertains to any interfaces or ports except for the Voter Activation Card slot (typically found on the front)

•  Frequent verification of hardware or software errors, such as those displayed on operator screens (e.g.: the LCD on the back of a Sequoia voting machine)

•  Monitoring and verification of tamper-proof and/or tamper-evident seals (typically used to prevent or at least indicate tampering) surrounding the devices, ports, latches, etc.

In the long term, phasing out and replacing deprecated, insecure machines - namely those without robust, hardware-based firmware and data verification mechanisms is recommended. Also, additional due diligence of polling place volunteers, workers, and officers may help mitigate possible collusion for tampering by these groups.

the specific hack requires the attacker to have an PCMCIA card, this card is then used to reflash the firmware on the voting machine in a very simple manner that can be done in under 10 minutes easily. 

10MB-FLASHDISK-MASS-font-b-STORAGE-b-fon

Also, a programmer who worked on the voting machines confessed in court that they are rigged, so it doesn't really matter.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

yeah... no surprise.

let me put a few tweets in this comment that show how scared the US is.

both tweets are regarding the statements made by government officials regarding the elections. Speaks for it's own?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

So the elections will potentially be rigged.

I guess Trump was right?

it might be that he's right, but i doubt its for the reasons he thinks. and if he shouts rigged at everything than he's bound to be right sometimes.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:51 AM, tlink said:

Cylance has disclosed a hack that shows how vulnerable US election voting machines are. This hack has previously been theorized but this is the first time we can actually see it in action, on an actual voting machine used in the 2008 election. For me personally this just shows again why voting machines are a bad idea, but i already know loads of people are going to disagree on this.

tom scott did a great piece for computerphile on why electronic voting is a bad idea. remember that this is just my and tom's perspective on the issue and do research and think about it yourself before pulling a conclusion from this.

for a lot of people this election is one of the foulest they experienced, with reports even saying that the 2 main candidates are the least liked candidates ever. it feels like one giant mud throwing contest. some people have even said that voter fraud caused Bernie Sanders to lose the race to presidential candidate for the Democrats with this as source: http://www.electoralsystemincrisis.org/

in an article from cylance they describe the hack in detail and give some references to older researches on these specific machines

they also described their proposals on how to protect voting machines against this type of voter fraud

the specific hack requires the attacker to have an PCMCIA card, this card is then used to reflash the firmware on the voting machine in a very simple manner that can be done in under 10 minutes easily. 

May the force be with you - Yoda

This is why here in the Netherlands they decided not to use digital voting. It's all old-fashioned paper-based. Surprised they're going for electronic in the US, especially considering how big of a target they're likely to be.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:56 AM, itsMilan said:

the point is that rigging said machines is extremely easy, and hard to detect. even if it got detected on one machine nobody would know who did it because of privacy. the only real way to secure it would be always count by hand. there is literally evidence of hand counting to show different results to machine counting

http://www.electoralsystemincrisis.org/

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I hope all vote for Trump, always wondered how WW3 would look like

Yeah, too bad Hillary has more potential for that.

Ties with Russia under Hillary? Say goodbye to that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, too bad Hillary has more potential for that.

Ties with Russia under Hillary? Say goodbye to that.

Hillary?! U joking right?! soviet russia needs to be kept under pressure

the fucking moron, Trump, wants to retreat the NATO and US forces from Eastern Europe - that's how you start WW3

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

Hillary?! U joking right?! soviet russia needs to be kept under pressure

the fucking moron, Trump, wants to retreat the NATO and US forces from Eastern Europe - that's how you start WW3

No, I'm not joking. Obama fucking burnt a lot of ropes connecting us to Russia, and Hillary won't make the situation better.

I'm sure Trump needs to reorganize his plan a bit, but look at it this way. Do you want to be under Russian control or have the likely potential to not be?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I can see a 2nd American Civil War

Wouldnt doubt it, everyone hates eachother already lol

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this is exactly why i included how much disliked both candidates are, people are fed up with the system because they still feel like these two turds are not who they want to represent them, but they also don't want to vote third party because they think its a wasted vote. something has to give. trump as an attempt to this but i don't think he's the "final form" of this disgruntlement. a civil war is maybe a bit extreme but there does seem to be a massive divide. the voting system seems broken to me.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

No, I'm not joking. Obama fucking burnt a lot of ropes connecting us to Russia, and Hillary won't make the situation better.

I'm sure Trump needs to reorganize his plan a bit, but look at it this way. Do you want to be under Russian control or have the likely potential to not be?

I'm sorry .. what!?

Trump is incapable of stopping sucking Putin's cock

On 11/7/2016 at 8:56 AM, itsMilan said:

Machines are tested ahead of time by officials who are supervised by representatives who could not possibly be involved in any fowl play because they are all incapable of liking one candidate over the other.

These officials and representatives must not be too great at their jobs or they would have already found and raised issue about the security flaws in the systems that still use Windows 2000.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

17 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

sigh

Ignore me once, I'll explain what I meant. Ignore me twice, I don't give a rat's ass.

yes

in case of you ignoring facts, Russia self appropriated Ukrainian territory while all the fucking world stood by

who's more willing to stop this from happening again, Trump?! HA!

America shit the bed with Trump vs Hillary -  the two worst choices the american people ever came up with

if this election wouldn't've had international implications, I would've rolled on the floor laughing

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

As a non-American who has quite a lot of experience in foreign affairs and international business...just no. Deterioration of ties with Russia were and are largely Putins own doing (annexing Crimea, air strikes in Syria etc). These were mostly unilateral actions and the United States responded appropriately by applying pressure and sanctions which have subsequently crippled the Russian economy (with help from Saudi flooding the oil market and devaluing a substantial revenue source of Russia's). Obamas actions were necessary to AVOID war and still look powerful - relations would have gotten a lot worse if he sent soldiers or planes into Crimea. It's hard to explain to an American how vastly your perception in the world has improved since Obamas been in office.

As tense as relations are now, a war between Russia and the United States is not going to happen any time soon, since nuclear deterrence is in effect on both sides. Russian control of the US is an impossibility.

Russia's economy is hurting and their military might is inferior to the US, coupled with the fact that Russia doesn't even want war. And nor does Hillary (she's a diplomat, she should be quite good at avoiding war). And nor does Trump for that matter, but there's the chance he'd be stupid enough to fire a missile into Vladivostok and give Putin legitimate reason to retaliate.

21 minutes ago, zMeul said:

19 minutes ago, Paytend01 said:

Wouldnt doubt it, everyone hates eachother already lol

The government's using a divide and conquer strategy.  The media will continually saturate outlets with race war bait until it finally happens or gets extremely close.  When the masses are weak and divided the government will strip rights and push more control on us.

Seems like a far-fetched conspiracy theory, but from someone who has been checking out news articles and their comments every day at work for the past few years I've noticed a lot of trends.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

36 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

So the elections will can potentially be rigged.

I guess Trump was right?

evertything is rigged.

@zMeul works for a chinese knock-off company, trying to steal US computer chip market.

@Dackzy is secretly working for Beats, but keep telling you to buy other products, because he is trying to get into the upper management

@patrickjp93 is actually just a sub-persona of the Watson supercomputer.

@LinusTech is actually a elaborate cardboard figure, controlled by the creators of Southpark.

@don_svetlio works for Putin, and was trained by the KGB

and me? who knows. I dont. But i work for someone, and they are probably coming for you in some way.

trust nobody. It's a free for all.