What Happened To LTT?

MobFactory

LTT stated out hand held and low production quality then in 2014 (+- 1 year) they got really high production value with really nice camera work and now its really starting to go back to the original look. It started with only updates and some server or action thing being in this low production value style but now its effecting basically all of their videos. Build logs are no longer professionally made. Reviews are the only thing that even barely resembles 2014 LTT. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad thing but it is kind of disappointing. They spent so much on cameras and professional video editors and now they've reverted. Anyone else have this feeling?

Yeah, the content seems kinda lackluster too.

They can blame it on not that many stuff coming out now (or at least they did blame it on that the last couple of months), but I still feel like their content is not as good as it used to be.

Only the B-roll is better IMO. They now bank a lot on the vlog-style content, the.. just the way they talk now and all the in-jokes. Reviews don't come out often anymore and if they do it feels very meh..

I'm just rambling now.. If you don't agree with me it's fine, this is just my opinion.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, MobFactory said:

Build logs are no longer professionally made. 

Build logs? What build logs?

That's one thing that really disappoints me, my favourite videos on LTT were the build guides and build logs with informative yet entertaining commentary and slick-looking graphics. They hardly do them any more :(

Despite this, I do think the channel has improved on the whole, particularly in the set design and B-roll departments.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, the content seems kinda lackluster too.

They can blame it on not that many stuff coming out now (or at least they did blame it on that the last couple of months), but I still feel like their content is not as good as it used to be.

Only the B-roll is better IMO. They now bank a lot on the vlog-style content, the.. just the way they talk now and all the in-jokes. Reviews don't come out often anymore and if they do it feels very meh..

I'm just rambling now.. If you don't agree with me it's fine, this is just my opinion.

reviews come out when theres stuff to review...

do you just want them to review a shoe??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

That's one thing that really disappoints me, my favourite videos on LTT were the build guides and build logs with informative yet entertaining commentary and slick-looking graphics. They hardly do them any more :(

Despite this, I do think the channel has improved on the whole, particularly in the set design and B-roll departments.

agree on the build logs

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Well sure the set design and b-roll has improved. But they barely use the sets (e.g. todays video). Most of the sets are just for B roll and the B roll looks out of place with the otherwise vlog style footage. They do still do build videos but i agree they're not really logs anymore just *HEY I MADE A COMPUTER* videos. I do still enjoy they're videos but just not as much anymore.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

reviews come out when theres stuff to review...

do you just want them to review a shoe??

Yes.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, MobFactory said:

Well sure the set design and b-roll has improved. But they barely use the sets (e.g. todays video). Most of the sets are just for B roll and the B roll looks out of place with the otherwise vlog style footage. They do still do build videos but i agree they're not really logs anymore just *HEY I MADE A COMPUTER* videos. I do still enjoy they're videos but just not as much anymore.

do you think that maybe its the fact most of them have been out of office for the past month covering events or going to releases?

you HAVE seen all the videos they put out recently, right?https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips/videos

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

do you think that maybe its the fact most of them have been out of office for the past month covering events or going to releases?

you HAVE seen all the videos they put out recently, right?https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips/videos

Ok... Just to prove my point:

Build Log from 1 month ago:  Look at the vlog style in a supposedly studio quality video.

Build Log from 2 years ago: GOOOOD

I mean sure, the thumbnails better now. But in every other way the old video is superior.

Edited by MobFactory

7 minutes ago, MobFactory said:

I think the B-roll feels completely at home in review-type scripted videos, and the footage itself is beautiful. Brandon and the other cinematographers do a fantastic job IMO.

I reckon they only didn't use sets for the Tech Showdown because they needed specific conditions (ie: concealed from the other team, open enough to work, etc.) that sets didn't provide.

I think it's completely understandable that LTT changed in two years. No YT channel does stay the same for that long. I think the videos are higher quality with nicer cinematography, but I do wish they'd hark back to the good ol' days once in a while with the odd professional looking build guide (not just a log, but a detailed guide) or some other older-style content. Overall, I think they're doing a stellar job.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

4 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I think the B-roll feels completely at home in review-type scripted videos, and the footage itself is beautiful. Brandon and the other cinematographers do a fantastic job IMO.

I reckon they only didn't use sets for the Tech Showdown because they needed specific conditions (ie: concealed from the other team, open enough to work, etc.) that sets didn't provide.

I think it's completely understandable that LTT changed in two years. No YT channel does stay the same for that long. I think the videos are higher quality with nicer cinematography, but I do wish they'd hark back to the good ol' days once in a while with the odd professional looking build guide (not just a log, but a detailed guide) or some other older-style content. Overall, I think they're doing a stellar job.

Thats fair enough. All i said is also just IMO. I get what you mean. I just meant the fact that they were recycling ideas too often. Eventually people forget and its a good idea to recycle ideas but 2 battery bank videos in less then a month and i miss the old build logs and get easily bored by these new build vlogs. (Where sometimes nothing even gets built they just show the finished product)

1 minute ago, MobFactory said:

Thats fair enough. All i said is also just IMO. I get what you mean. I just meant the fact that they were recycling ideas too often. Eventually people forget and its a good idea to recycle ideas but 2 battery bank videos in less then a month and i miss the old build logs and get easily bored by these new build vlogs. (Where sometimes nothing even gets built they just show the finished product)

I see what you mean about the build logs. The battery bank videos also seemed kind of unnecessarily drawn-out, but we must remember that they were on a sort of vacation at that point and did need videos to upload, so I suppose it makes sense to try and split content to fill the daily uploads policy.

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I see what you mean about the build logs. The battery bank videos also seemed kind of unnecessarily drawn-out, but we must remember that they were on a sort of vacation at that point and did need videos to upload, so I suppose it makes sense to try and split content to fill the daily uploads policy.

Yeah... I guess... Lets just hope after this crazy period the content picks up again. Also FYI they went on a company retreat.

Those build guides were very time consuming to make. Like for every one of those, they could have done 10 videos on other things. There aren't that many different build guides that they can do anyway and they don't want to repeat what they've already done. They said they were spending the time on the different series instead of doing build guides. 

Linus specifically said he is aiming to produce more vlog style videos and move away from traditional product reviews.

37 minutes ago, MobFactory said:

LTT stated out hand held and low production quality then in 2014 (+- 1 year) they got really high production value with really nice camera work and now its really starting to go back to the original look. It started with only updates and some server or action thing being in this low production value style but now its effecting basically all of their videos. Build logs are no longer professionally made. Reviews are the only thing that even barely resembles 2014 LTT. I'm not necessarily saying its a bad thing but it is kind of disappointing. They spent so much on cameras and professional video editors and now they've reverted. Anyone else have this feeling?

They need to do more computer builds and watercooling guides.

I wanna just a 100% uneditied pc and watercooling build guide

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

At the moment they seem to be doing bit too much shifting to new style of things. I was kinda ok how it was year ago with more overviews and few bigger project style videos. Now it has become mess of series. Others are good like SYW and Build off. Rest not so much, like Kickfarted, Handy Tech under $100, Workshop etc. It feels like every third video is first in some series. They should just go (maybe not) Tek Syndicate way with few easy to remember series and pile everything about fitting under there. Not to make gasillion channels for it like TS has done.

Its funny if they are moving towards vlog style from overview videos. Vlogs gather best audience and vocal minority likes them best. I like them when they are good. Like Personal Rig updates, Office vlog series and Server machine videos. Rest falls into "meh" category. I wish they would get back into unboxing stuff. Even if its just mostly misc stuff. I've started watching more Unboxing Therapy because thats having both good production quality with the original style of unboxings.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

At the moment they seem to be doing bit too much shifting to new style of things. I was kinda ok how it was year ago with more overviews and few bigger project style videos. Now it has become mess of series. Others are good like SYW and Build off. Rest not so much, like Kickfarted, Handy Tech under $100, Workshop etc. It feels like every third video is first in some series. They should just go (maybe not) Tek Syndicate way with few easy to remember series and pile everything about fitting under there. Not to make gasillion channels for it like TS has done.

Its funny if they are moving towards vlog style from overview videos. Vlogs gather best audience and vocal minority likes them best. I like them when they are good. Like Personal Rig updates, Office vlog series and Server machine videos. Rest falls into "meh" category. I wish they would get back into unboxing stuff. Even if its just mostly misc stuff. I've started watching more Unboxing Therapy because thats having both good production quality with the original style of unboxings.

I aggree with you mostly. Except on the teksyndicate thing. TekSyndicate has not grown anywhere near as much as LTT for that reason i think. Plus theyre prodution quality is lower to. Ive gotten bored of The Tek. They dont do it live so they can definately edit it but they dont and they really need timestamps. Theyre reviews are good usually (especially wendels) but not a big fan of cains reviews though i love his character. IDK Tek Syndicate is very hit or miss.

So, the other day I was on reddit, there's a topic that is ppl talking about why they unsub their favorite youtube channel.

I did not unsub LTT's channel, but I do have some thought. And I think I am not the only one.

Here's a snap.

I just feel like sometimes Linus is burned out, and LTT's videos quality is declining.

I do not care about those fake phones reviews, do not care about what factory tour you guys did.

I want hardware review, and please, please bring back the 45 mins old school build vlog.

And mods don't delete my post...I am not a troll, just a fan that has some opinion..................... 

002.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Also Unbox therapy. Only unboxing channel which is interesting. GOSH has he grown an audience. Seriously, how does he do it.

Linus has said on multiple occasions that LTT isn't doing very many more build logs because he doesn't like doing them anymore. He is making content that he and LMG want to make, and right now, build logs are not among them.

Just now, MobFactory said:

I aggree with you mostly. Except on the teksyndicate thing. TekSyndicate has not grown anywhere near as much as LTT for that reason i think. Plus theyre prodution quality is lower to. Ive gotten bored of The Tek. They dont do it live so they can definately edit it but they dont and they really need timestamps. Theyre reviews are good usually (especially wendels) but not a big fan of cains reviews though i love his character. IDK Tek Syndicate is very hit or miss.

I meant Tek Syndicate way by having all viewer questions, mail etc. under one headline, like Inbox.exe. And having funnier stuff under another main title, like what WASD could be. I listen The Tek so I can laugh and be sad for all those poor Americans.

Just now, MobFactory said:

Also Unbox therapy. Only unboxing channel which is interesting. GOSH has he grown an audience. Seriously, how does he do it.

The base of audience gain was with iPhone bending stuff. And because most registered YT users don't bother unsubscribing channels which don't flood their feed, Lou can keep the masses.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, MobFactory said:

He grew an audience with some shitty clickbait titles and thumbnails. The bendgate helped him a lot too.