What Happened To LTT?

MobFactory

I think Linus kinda went overboard making this now relatively big LTT company. Look at MKBHD, he's a one man squad with some help from people like TLD or Austin Evans and he still makes more interesting videos than Linus. I think Linus should stop uploading daily. Uploading once a week should be completely enough. But now that he has a company with many people he won't be able to pay them uploading like once a week or so. 

@nicklmg I wonder why you didn't pick my critique but concentrated on positives of my posts. As you seem to usually do.

It tells something about the many new series that I totally didn't remember it wasn't called Build-off but Tech Showdown. Which imo isn't good name. Tech Showdown feels lot more like comparison video between 2-3 products. The recent battery pack torture test should have been under that name.

5 minutes ago, Illumination said:

I think Linus kinda went overboard making this now relatively big LTT company. Look at MKBHD, he's a one man squad with some help from people like TLD or Austin Evans and he still makes more interesting videos than Linus. I think Linus should stop uploading daily. Uploading once a week should be completely enough. But now that he has a company with many people he won't be able to pay them uploading like once a week or so. 

Like it was said earlier, MKBHD and Austin Evans (and many other single person channels) only release videos once in a while. LTT has made it their thing to release video once a day. That makes difference. If you take a look at CSF stuff which is once a week, thats many times more interesting stuff (minus the Mexico content). It makes a difference since for pumping more videos you need more editors. Logan has talked about this, and so did people on another channel I follow. So its either video per day with more streamlined style, or video now and then with more personal take and content.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

56 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

@nicklmg I wonder why you didn't pick my critique but concentrated on positives of my posts. As you seem to usually do.

I responded to the portion of your post that I thought was relevant. But hey, your wish is my command...

On 6/13/2016 at 0:33 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

At the moment they seem to be doing bit too much shifting to new style of things. I was kinda ok how it was year ago with more overviews and few bigger project style videos. Now it has become mess of series. Others are good like SYW and Build off. Rest not so much, like Kickfarted, Handy Tech under $100, Workshop etc. It feels like every third video is first in some series. They should just go (maybe not) Tek Syndicate way with few easy to remember series and pile everything about fitting under there. Not to make gasillion channels for it like TS has done.

Its funny if they are moving towards vlog style from overview videos. Vlogs gather best audience and vocal minority likes them best. I like them when they are good. Like Personal Rig updates, Office vlog series and Server machine videos. Rest falls into "meh" category. I wish they would get back into unboxing stuff. Even if its just mostly misc stuff. I've started watching more Unboxing Therapy because thats having both good production quality with the original style of unboxings.

"Now it has become mess of series. Others are good like SYW and Build off. Rest not so much..."

What do you consider "good" then?

Kickfarted: 1 video, 768,489 views, 38,496 likes, 1,790 dislikes (with many of those dislikes coming from people who thought tha the name KickFarted was "too close" to idubzzz's KickStarter Crap... really?). I'd certainly call the response "good."

Handy Tech Under $100: 11 episodes with multiple MILLIONS of views, with the first debuting in 2013 (so I'd hardly call this a "new trend"). I'd call that "very good."

We identify many of our videos as entries into a series because that's a great way to inform a viewer of what to expect from a video before clicking on it. At the end of the day, a major aspect of our business (and this is a cornerstone of ANY content creators' business) relies on convincing people to spend some of their valuable time consuming our content. So if we can bring more viewers in through something like a series tag or a recognizable title, then of course we're going to utilize that.

"Every third video is the first in some series."

For all I know, this could be accurate. Let's take a look.

Our last 10 videos (excluding WAN and show coverage, since those are outside of what I classify as "standard LTT releases"):

GTX 1080 Overclocking - not part of a series, unless you count GTX 1080 videos as a series, I guess...
Solar Panel Comparison - not part of a series, unless you count "videos created in Mexico" as a series

Tech Showdown Pixel PC - series

Handy Travel Tech Under $100 - series

Underwater Photo Overview - not part of a series, unless you count "videos created in Mexico" as a series

LG G5 Review - not part of a series, unless you count "phone reviews" as a series

Battery Bank Showdown - not part of a series, unless you count "videos created in Mexico" as a series

Grandpa + Google - not part of a series

Personal Rig Update - series

RX 480 Announcement - not part of a series

So from a very small sample size of 10 (yes, I'm a bad science man), we're at about 1 in 3.33 videos being part of a series. So you're actually pretty spot on there in that about 1 in 3 videos is part of a series, but (given the most recent examples) very far off in saying that every third video is the first in a series as none of these videos are the first in a new series.

Yes, we have been testing many new formats here in 2016. We've addressed this multiple times. Q1 was a "pilot season" of sorts for us. Due to the lull in interesting hardware to cover, we wanted to really step outside of the box and test new content styles, see what works, what doesn't work, and determine what you guys will want to see throughout the rest of the year - so now that the real hardware has started to come our way, we can utilize the established formats to the best of our ability and create interesting and entertaining content for our audience each and every day.

"They should just go (maybe not) Tek Syndicate way with few easy to remember series and pile everything about fitting under there. Not to make gasillion channels for it like TS has done."

I'm not sure whether you're saying that we should, or shouldn't go the Tek Syndicate way, but let's just assume that you're saying we should (as we already are "not going the Tek Syndicate way").

This simply would not work for our channel. With the amount of content we create and the extreme variety of topics that we cover, there is no way that we could fit every video into one of four or five "series" categories.

"Its funny if they are moving towards vlog style from overview videos. Vlogs gather best audience and vocal minority likes them best."

Two main reasons behind the increase in vlog-style content.

1. They suit the videos that are done in a "vlog style" best. Many of these videos follow a path of exploration by the host, and bringing the viewer along for the experience provides a very genuine video (in my opinion). 

2. They consume less time than a scripted video (on all sides of the creative process), which frees up more time for our hosts and production staff to work on bigger, scripted reviews and large projects like Scrapyard Wars.

If they didn't allow our team to produce an entertaining and informative video while also saving a bit of time to be put towards bigger projects, we wouldn't do them.

"I wish they would get back into unboxing stuff."

As I mentioned in my original post here, we tried bringing back oldschool unboxings. We got massive amounts of hate thrown at us for it. If you prefer the unboxing-style videos, then I can certainly appreciate that opinion. But you are in an extreme minority in our audience nowadays.

TL;DR I addressed the part of your post that I thought added an interesting aspect to the conversation that I did not see elsewhere. My original post here was already MASSIVE, and I feel like I addressed most of your concerns (at least in part) through my overall response. If I was only "concentrat[ing] on positives of [your] posts[,] [a]s [ I ] seem to usually do," I wouldn't even bother responding to this thread. I'd just go about my day and act like nothing happened rather than spending a significant amount of time here trying to actually communicate with the community.

18 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

TL;DR I addressed the part of your post that I thought added an interesting aspect to the conversation that I did not see elsewhere. My original post here was already MASSIVE, and I feel like I addressed most of your concerns (at least in part) through my overall response. If I was only "concentrat[ing] on positives of [your] posts[,] [a]s [ I ] seem to usually do," I wouldn't even bother responding to this thread. I'd just go about my day and act like nothing happened rather than spending a significant amount of time here trying to actually communicate with the community.

I don't bother responding to whole thing again. I will post my thoughts on next thread that handles current (at that point) content of LTT. I just felt funny that its second time you don't reply on my concerns about channel but do on my examples (actually Linus did that last time) or positive parts.

About series videos. 1/3 isn't accurate, I do know that. But its the feeling I get when Linus starts video by saying "This is something new we want to try". Then we see one video of it and next comes (what feels like) year after. By that time no one remembers that it was series. I've already had that happened when I didn't remember if I saw the first video on the series or not. And didn't Kickfarted had two videos on it? One was about the smart watch thingy Luke reviewed and another was something Linus did?

Series I like (for the most part): Office vlogs, SYW, Server updates, Personal Rig updates. Series I don't like so much or have miss and hit content: Workshop, Tech Showdown, Handy Tech Under $100, FAQ/Mailroom. Kickfarted, Holy $hit, WAN Show. The one where Linus did unboxing of giant mousepad was fun to watch, but it might be under Mailroom which has since been meh.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can't let a topic like this go by without taking some time to take a massive dump on LTT. I am ofc joking. Ny goto tech channel have always been LTT. If I wanna see something else tech related I just do a Youtube search and click on whatever catches my eye, I might be subscribed to other tech channels but its not something I pay too much attention to.

I've always enjoyed the way Linus and everyone else do tech and tech related subject with as mentioned before the oh so lovable quirkiness and just the really awful humor that I myself find hilarious most of the time. I have, as everyone else noticed a change in the way they make videos, but in my opinion change is inevitable, and I for one enjoy change. Mix things up, experiment and so forth. Do I miss some of the old videos? Yes, I do, a detailed build guide that is atleast semi-serious without all the terrible jokes and some unboxing videos in the old fashion way won't be anything I will complain about, but I have noticed that I am in the minority on that. LTT audience is changing, I seem to recall that with the subscribers they have gained lately there's alot in the younger demographic to the point where the average age demographic is now around 13 to 16 or something (Please do correct me if I am wrong). And LTT would be a fool not to cater to the young audience which I feel like they have done by almost in a sense dumping things down a little, making it less serious and more fun and free spirited, I myself am 23 years old, but I enjoy being a little childish just as much as I can enjoy the more serious in-depth and almost scientific stuff. I might be just a huge fucking turd of a fanboy but I applaud Linus and his team for what they have done with LTT and I know that more interesting content like back in the good old days will return as the market is currently at a standstill.

Keep thing up is what I'd say, but don't forget that even if the age demographic has changed, the core fans is still here and want to see some of the old stuff they first came too aswell. Its walking a plank, on one side, angry teenagers with sharp object and on the other side angry "young adults" with fists of steel, not everyone can make that walk, but I do believe that LTT can indeed make it.

39 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I don't bother responding to whole thing again. I will post my thoughts on next thread that handles current (at that point) content of LTT. I just felt funny that its second time you don't reply on my concerns about channel but do on my examples (actually Linus did that last time) or positive parts.

About series videos. 1/3 isn't accurate, I do know that. But its the feeling I get when Linus starts video by saying "This is something new we want to try". Then we see one video of it and next comes (what feels like) year after. By that time no one remembers that it was series. I've already had that happened when I didn't remember if I saw the first video on the series or not. And didn't Kickfarted had two videos on it? One was about the smart watch thingy Luke reviewed and another was something Linus did?

Series I like (for the most part): Office vlogs, SYW, Server updates, Personal Rig updates. Series I don't like so much or have miss and hit content: Workshop, Tech Showdown, Handy Tech Under $100, FAQ/Mailroom. Kickfarted, Holy $hit, WAN Show. The one where Linus did unboxing of giant mousepad was fun to watch, but it might be under Mailroom which has since been meh.

I seem to recall that the giant mousepad was like the first episode of Holy $hit.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

29 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

I seem to recall that the giant mousepad was like the first episode of Holy $hit.

Oh. Well thats definitely "hit" of that series.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think something that really has disappointed with me wasn't their lack of reviews, it was just that they're really late. I want a review as soon as the product comes out, at the very latest a week or two later, the LG G5 review came out ages after the product launched and I had to rely on other outlets to get a review, that I didn't trust as much in order to know which phone to purchase. 

I also hate that a lot of the videos recently have no real purpose. At first I really loved the series where Luke tests out different theories and debunks them but every one of them has come out with basically no difference however you want to do it. I don't want a bunch of build logs again, but I don't want stupid videos with basically no substance either.

7 minutes ago, Gibs960 said:

I think something that really has disappointed with me wasn't their lack of reviews, it was just that they're really late. I want a review as soon as the product comes out, at the very latest a week or two later, the LG G5 review came out ages after the product launched and I had to rely on other outlets to get a review, that I didn't trust as much in order to know which phone to purchase. 

I also hate that a lot of the videos recently have no real purpose. At first I really loved the series where Luke tests out different theories and debunks them but every one of them has come out with basically no difference however you want to do it. I don't want a bunch of build logs again, but I don't want stupid videos with basically no substance either.

I'm fairly sure that reviews go up on Vessel a week before Youtube, so if you want to have them as soon as possible, paying for Vessel would be something for you. Not sure about the cost of it, but I seem to recall that the first month is free aswell. So you could atleast check it out.

As for the videos with no purpose, they are simply trying out new stuff and they are don't have much to make videos about now with the market being so stagnant and boring. I have high hopes for when most of the conferences are done and companies start coming out with their new fancy cases, GPU's and whatnot. As for Luke's workshop videos, he said it himself, they all have similar result in the sense that whatever he do, it won't have much affect on your computer, so even he is tired of making those videos. But you can't really blame him for a boring result, he tests the different things not knowing how the end result will be before making the video, and if the video is already done, there no point in not posting it, besides it has some educational value even though we don't get more unexpected/fun results.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

I don't get why people always defend them with "oh it's just because no new products are out". There are a ton of things they could make videos about, but they lack the knowledge, time or effort to do it.

Spoiler

On 3/13/2016 at 6:14 PM, LAwLz said:

I laugh at the people saying nothing interesting is happening in the tech world. Not only is that completely false, there are a ton of things they could make videos about that isn't the latest CPU or whatever, but there are also a lot of areas they haven't explored. Here are some video ideas I just came up with:

Hide contents

• Apple vs FBI. What it means for the consumers if Apple lose.
  • Guide on monitor calibration.
  • All the new smartphones that just came out.
  • Raspberry Pi 3 (could even do a comparison with the 2 and 1)
  • "Luke's Software Discoveries"
  • Things that aren't just CPUs and motherboards. Things like the Pono Player, the Myo armband etc. Do more Kickstarter crap kickfarted
  • Video on the Android N beta
  • SED, what it is and how to use it featuring the Samsung 850 (or some other SED drive).
  • Did they even make a video about the Samsung 950 Pro? That thing is amazing.
  • Have we had any videos about DirectX 12 yet?
  • A video on APUs and how far ahead/behind they are dGPUs. AMD also has a new Wraith cooler that they could try. Have they done any video about Iris at all?
  • A video about PSUs, how much wattage is actually needed and what to look for (not just wattage and 80+)
  • XConnect has been announced. Don't think reviewers have their hands on it yet but it will be pretty sweet when it comes out.
  • Interviews people and have them answer questions from your audience. Not just people from the office but people like Asus JJ, Fractal Josh, AMD Roy,  Jem Davies from ARM etc.
  • Look into the different limitations of displays with FreeSync. It seems like they are all over the place when it comes to the actual FreeSync capabilities. Explain what the limitations are and how they work.
  • Look into some new formats and make informative videos about them. BPG needs a lot more exposure than it currently got for example.
  • Browser comparison. Tom's Hardware made an entire series of that which they updated quite frequently. Not saying that LTT should do that too but one video would be fine. Better than looking at a frog for 10 minutes.
  • HTPC video. What to think of and how to use it.
  • iSwitch to GNU/Linux.

What really perplexes me are the people defending them, while at the same time saying the videos haven't been good. If you think the quality is dropping then the last thing you want is to just sit there and watch while the channel goes under. Constructive criticism is really important. It's like letting your drunk friend drive home after the party, because you can't be bothered telling him it's a bad idea. Even worse, some people attack the guy voicing his opinion that driving while drunk might not be a good idea.

If you think LMG is burnt out then maybe they should cut back on their video schedule. If they can't make 10 (or however many they do now) videos a week without having to rush them then maybe cut it down to 7 videos? You'd still have a video a day, but all of a sudden you got a ton of extra time to make sure the videos you do push out are good. But I guess that's up to Linus to decide. Quantity over quality is probably more profitable, at least in the short run.

That was 3 months ago. Even if nothing had happened in those three months, there is still the entire list of things above that they could do.

Here are even more examples to add to the list:

• Videos about Windows 10. They made one about gaming performance, but Windows 10 is such a massive thing that if you are willing to go in-depth you could make a ton of videos about it. Like a review of Cortana (vs Google Now vs Siri or whatever). All the privacy stuff.
  • How about a "console killer"? Pick the parts, build it and test it against an Xbone or PS4.
  • Comparison of codecs. Video, audio, images and so on. I was trying to look up how good the aptX codec is and to my surprise there aren't any (that I could find).
  • How about a guide to game streaming? Seems like a lot of people want to do it, but fail on the technical side.
  • You have a bunch of editors and yet, no videos about video editing.
  • NAS videos. Pre-built vs self-built. Performance. Different RAID setups. Where is the sweet spot.
  • Home automation.
  • 802.11ad (not sure if there is a good way to test this yet)
  • PlayOnLinux and WINE.

The list goes on.

17 hours ago, MobFactory said:

Uhh i suck at english literature. I think im going to get a B in my gcse's.

Don't worry, i got consistent E's in my coursework but fluked and got an A & B in the exams, i got told i was going to fail but luckily balanced out to a C. There's always hope no matter how crap you think you are

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't get why people always defend them with "oh it's just because no new products are out". There are a ton of things they could make videos about, but they lack the knowledge, time or effort to do it.

Reveal hidden contents

That was 3 months ago. Even if nothing had happened in those three months, there is still the entire list of things above that they could do.

Here are even more examples to add to the list:

• Videos about Windows 10. They made one about gaming performance, but Windows 10 is such a massive thing that if you are willing to go in-depth you could make a ton of videos about it. Like a review of Cortana (vs Google Now vs Siri or whatever). All the privacy stuff.
  • How about a "console killer"? Pick the parts, build it and test it against an Xbone or PS4.
  • Comparison of codecs. Video, audio, images and so on. I was trying to look up how good the aptX codec is and to my surprise there aren't any (that I could find).
  • How about a guide to game streaming? Seems like a lot of people want to do it, but fail on the technical side.
  • NAS videos. Pre-built vs self-built. Performance. Different RAID setups. Where is the sweet spot.
  • Home automation.
  • 802.11ad (not sure if there is a good way to test this yet)
  • PlayOnLinux and WINE.

The list goes on.

You make a valid point for the more "experienced" users that watch LTT videos. However as I mentioned above, there is currently a split in the audience and I can't imagine what would happen if LTT started spewing out alot of this "more advanced" (Eventhogh for most people its basics) videos and neglecting their newcomers to tech, who hardly know what CPU stands for. 

And they also should want to make these videos and not make them just because their audience think so. One of the most important thing as a content creator is to listen to your audience, but you can't walk over 10 corpses to ultimately do something you don't want to do, it would be fake and easily noticed on the host of the specific video. 

And lastly, there will come a time when they can't think of new stuff to make videos about, maybe its as simple as lack of creativity when there's no "new tech" to review or makes videos about. Perhaps you could post this as a suggestion to them and see what they think.

And I know it sounds like I go to great lengths to defend them, and I do because I personally don't believe its as bad as everyone is saying it is. LTT listen to their audience and answer them if you question them why they won't do something you think would be a good idea. Linus already have a topic up about what he should make videos about next, so throw the suggestions in there instead of complaining that they don't come up with stuff. There's a time where every content creator will run into a creativity drought and thats when they turn to their audience for help and I believe instead of complain about what they don't do just give them tips and suggestions to what they can do and if they still don't do it they're either stupid or they simply don't want to make that type of video, and ultimately what a content creator makes is up to himself and they can choose to or not choose to listen to their audience. And I think Pewdiepie would be a great example as he have strayed mostly away from games like happy wheels and Amnesia for instance even though his audience is crying out for it, but he is simply tired of those videos and do what he wants to do knowing full and well that he might loose alot of people watching him. He has basically reinvented himself for his own sake, he is tired of screaming over games that don't scare him or making the same old jokes that most of his audience love to this day because he has done it for some many years there's simply no motivation, he can't be creative (Although people will argue that he has never been creative and with good reason if you look at all the stupid videos he post) if he don't reinvent himself, Youtube on a hobby or profession basis will not be fulfilling anymore.

1 hour ago, Gibs960 said:

I want a review as soon as the product comes out, at the very latest a week or two later, the LG G5 review came out ages after the product launched and I had to rely on other outlets to get a review, that I didn't trust as much in order to know which phone to purchase. 

That is subjective. I like the fact that he actually uses the device for some time and then reviews them. However, I have a feeling LG G5 review was really late when compared to other phones he reviewed. Also I don't want to comment that review again, I've said my share in the review thread and I still think it is one of the worst reviews Linus ever did.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

"oh it's just because no new products are out"

This argument is really something. The industry has had nothing special since, let's say 2011 when Sandy Bridge first came out. Just iterative products, 5 % improvements every year at best...

But they still managed much more interesting content in e.g. 2013/14. 

Now, LTT has really gotten stale for me. Now I don't know if it's just me, or is the content really getting more boring. There is just something missing. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

6 minutes ago, juretrn said:

This argument is really something. The industry has had nothing special since, let's say 2011 when Sandy Bridge first came out. Just iterative products, 5 % improvements every year at best...

But they still managed much more interesting content in e.g. 2013/14. 

Now, LTT has really gotten stale for me. Now I don't know if it's just me, or is the content really getting more boring. There is just something missing. 

It has gotten stale I agree. But I really do think its because new releases of stuff is just to straight forward, 5% there, 7% there... There's never anything new in store like cool features that really catch my eyes, In the Nvidia pascal release there was some new stuff for multi monitor and VR stuff, but it wasn't really anything with the wowfactor that we haven't had since god knows how long.. Last thing that I can remember that was kinda interesting would perhaps be the Free sync and G sync, eventhough so far I've just taken Linus word for it and never had the chance to see if for myself. But that aswell was really boring. I still think its a valid argument that the tech industry as a whole is just dull. Like, give me something new already its 2016! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!

17 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I can certainly understand how some of ads may feel stale, but we choose to work with brands that we know and trust. We only put our name behind companies that we can comfortably recommend to our viewers. And when that recommendation is shaken through negative actions (or an inability to take action), we make sure that the viewer is taken care of, or that the brand is no longer on our channel.

We're always working on getting new sponsors involved (I'll probably try to grow this team even more over the next year or so as 2 people really isn't cutting it anymore), but there are mainstays on the channel that provide good value to our viewers and always express interest in advertising further. So yes, unfortunately some of them will get a bit stale. The good news is that with those guys I'm making a big effort to get new messaging for you guys more often, so that it's not the same stale talking points each time :)

@nicklmg, thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread.

I certainly understand and appreciate you guys keeping on sponsors you believe in rather than taking on anyone. I guess it just got old hearing Linus and Luke go back and forth with the whole "you should" banter. I also wouldn't mind seeing the sponsor time cut down a little in some videos. I feel like the sponsor spots in LTT videos is longer than other YouTubers. Would be even better if us YouTube Red users could skip sponsor spots all together, but I know that is not technically possible. At the very least, I think it would be great if you could change up the messaging from time to time of the current sponsors.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

4 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I certainly understand and appreciate you guys keeping on sponsors you believe in rather than taking on anyone. I guess it just got old hearing Linus and Luke go back and forth with the whole "you should" banter. I also wouldn't mind seeing the sponsor time cut down a little in some videos. I feel like the sponsor spots in LTT videos is longer than other YouTubers. Would be even better if us YouTube Red users could skip sponsor spots all together, but I know that is not technically possible. At the very least, I think it would be great if you could change up the messaging from time to time of the current sponsors.

This is the biggest change I've noticed. I understand you have to pay for all of the staff, gear, time, etc; but it feels like sponsorships and ads are more important to the channel than the actual content. It's like LTT grew so fast that in order to pay for it all, more and more paid content had to be done to sustain the channel. And I totally get it, LTT is a business, and you have to make money to continue to make videos. However, I feel like it has come at a cost of questioning if every video is more of a hidden promotion more than a genuine review, comparison or informational video. I still watch nearly every video (aside from the Google grandpa and the 'tech has changed since I was a kid' adverts videos because of aforementioned reasons) and I find them enjoyable and entertaining; though I don't really find myself feeling like I've learned something like with the older videos. I just wish the 'gotta pay the bills' feel was a bit less in your face. I know you have to read the approved scripts by your sponsors, but when it's the same thing every time and sometimes nearly a minute of rambling, it's pretty tiring. I'd be interested to see how many people make it through the last 30-45 seconds of every video.. I know I turn it off as soon as the ad (the LTT sponsor, not the YouTube ad) starts.

Maybe we grow up? Or is it about that white pixel in many videos recently where I thought all my devices do ave a pixel error? Like the latest Tech Showdown Episode?

I mean yeah, cameras are expensive, but the heart attack everytime is real.

They need content to gain views and ad revenue. And audience ofc, so nothing new or wrong. But yes, somehow the content started to be more professional, but does not really reach the type of detail in work and motivation it did, in the old content before and and shortly after the move. It kinda seems now like "without a soul". Might be the pressure a business brings with it, I mean he has to feed his family and and maintain his living standard while paying how many employees? 10+? I even lost track xD

Well, though I still like most of the content, It seems to be replacable by other YouTubers. Welcome to the mainstream, which ist totally fine, because who would sell a product, that is not sellable.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How about a "console killer"? Pick the parts, build it and test it against an Xbone or PS4.

Wasn't that done at the time when those consoles were released?

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yes please. People too often take stupid builds (X gamer 1 CPU) as reference for good build/setup for streaming. And while they did cover something when it was new thing (Nvidia sposored shield stuff and the ghetto phone thing), something current would be nice. Tech around that is so much evolved after all.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Tarans channel?

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Another good one. Would be easy to test too since they have experience with RAID setups already.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:
  • Home automation.

Kinda done in multiple videos, though with Linus-style.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:
  • PlayOnLinux and WINE.

They are yet to explore Linux and open-source community in depth at all. Just because this channel is gaming oriented doesn't mean they could explore content creaton possibilities while on Linux environment. Which leads to.... BRING BACK iSwitched!

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

25 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Wasn't that done at the time when those consoles were released?

Tarans channel?

- Prices of both consoles have changed, as well as the prices of PC parts. Now with the new consoles (PS4 Neo or whatever and that new Xbox One is called) I think it would be time for an update for that.

- Yeah, Taran has video editing tutorials and other videos, but we're talking about the LinusTechTips (and to an extend maybe TQ and CSF) channel. I don't think it's fair to also mix in his channel with suggestions on the LTT channel. Otherwise we could just as much say "yeah, don't do reviews on GPU's, it's already on other channels like JayzTwoCens, Awesomesauce hardware, etc."

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

- Prices of both consoles have changed, as well as the prices of PC parts. Now with the new consoles (PS4 Neo or whatever and that new Xbox One is called) I think it would be time for an update for that.

- Yeah, Taran has video editing tutorials and other videos, but we're talking about the LinusTechTips (and to an extend maybe TQ and CSF) channel. I don't think it's fair to also mix in his channel with suggestions on the LTT channel. Otherwise we could just as much say "yeah, don't do reviews on GPU's, it's already on other channels like JayzTwoCens, Awesomesauce hardware, etc."

Good points, both of them. I wasn't aware about new consoles. At the moment I rely purely on YT channels for my tech news and, surprise, surprise, none of them has spoken of new versions. As for video editing stuff, I think its been requested multiple times. And someone has always pointed for Tarans channel in that sense (Linus, Luke or Taran himself). I would assume editor making video about editing is same good quality as what Brandon does with camera gear now. And not what Linus has done with unRaid in the past.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If they make content on things that excite them and at the same time educates them by wandering in unchartered territory, then I'm all up for it. The idea of Build logs nowadays are very stale and boring because there is about a dozen more other YouTube channels doing the same thing. And we can all pretty much assume what's going to be in a build log. Intel i7-6700k, GTX 1080, blah, blah, blah... Is this even entertaining? It's gotten to the point where you can pretty much guess the hardware every time so what's the point in even watching?

I see LTT like MightyCarMods, if they do a video on tuning a Mazda RX-7, something that has been done and well documented by thousands of other people. So at that point, is it even worthwhile doing because you're just going to be replicating what other people have done.  LTT can do a review on the GTX 1080, but that's been done by dozens of other people so what's the point anymore unless it's uber exclusive content. If they gave tricks and tips on modifying cases like Luke's Mad Max build, then that will be something that is entertaining and worth watching.

But than again, this is just an opinion from a fluffy rodent.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

To be honest, there is not much that LMG can do about new products, since everything that comes out is ......well the same. If they make a build guide/log it will be the same as their old videos. When they make product reviews they heavily rely on the company to send them the product for it, as using the company money to buy a product for 1 review will result in diffrent products just taking space in their new office. Sure, they will make the money back eventually from the review, but again, they won't have space in their office.

LMG is growing and when they are releasing a video everyday it is hard to make content that everybody likes. There will always be people that are not satisfied. Some people just don't like change. I also don't like some of the videos, but that's just because I am not interested in the product. But it will be a lie to say that the production value is low. LMG have shown on many occasions what their sets look like and how much time is spent on the scripts for the videos.

@nicklmg Just saw the one plus 3 review... I take back everything (not really just saying it for effect). It was beautifully made. This is the kind of quality we can hope to expect from ltt.

On 6/13/2016 at 3:39 PM, MobFactory said:

Also Unbox therapy. Only unboxing channel which is interesting. GOSH has he grown an audience. Seriously, how does he do it.

He's funny, has really high production quality (and video quality, dat 4k tho), and unboxes some interesting things, and he's just a generally likable personality. That's how he does it.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, nicklmg said:

Snip

no but we need a "LTT Insider Program" were a small group of people get to watch LTT videos early and give feedback in a specialized feedback section on the forum. Where users would be able to specify what week it was and give feedback for that week's videos. Giving issues/problems as well as suggestions.

I understand that would undermine Vessel so I'm saying this could be a paid option. Where only paid members get to see the videos early and give feedback. The videos could be put on the LTT forums website in a special section so that people who don't pay can access it.

Honestly, I watch far less videos per week on LTT than I did 2 years ago. I used to watch like every single video but now it's more like  5/10. So basically, I watch half the content now compared to 2014 or 2015 in a week.

And please stop letting Vessel screw you over. I'm not paying to watch videos early unless I can give feedback which LMG listens to instead of the BS which is spawned in the YouTube and Vessel Comments section. Sorry but I just had to state how I feel about this.

Nowadays, I engage more with the forum than the LTT videos. Please make LTT videos a lot more enjoyable. I really want to love the videos, All due respect but recently I've seen some pathetic shit on the channel.

Sorry If I come across as being mean but i'm just trying to tell you guys the truth.

Also, why did Linus never do a Surface Pro 4 video? he talked about it on WAN Show and showed a live unboxing but never reviewed it. He even used it one of the more recent scrapyard wars videos! So yeah.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),