What Happened To LTT?

MobFactory

Also @nicklmg Why am I seeing the same advertisement every day on LTT forums? Seriously, it's been like 3 weeks with the same freaking Adata SSD ad! I can't stand it anymore!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also @nicklmg Why am I seeing the same advertisement every day on LTT forums? Seriously, it's been like 3 weeks with the same freaking Adata SSD ad! I can't stand it anymore!

Those might just be Google ads. I have Toshiba/OCZ ad with "Available at Newegg.com" at bottom (sidenote: blurry because of my zoom). Like I ever would by something off Newegg. Or something OCZ.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On June 14, 2016 at 0:50 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

And what really pisses me off are both of the Low end GPU rants because they aren't being subjected to what they'd actually be used for: upgrading some shit PC when you are tapping out your budget.

Wow that ignorant comment proves that you did not watch the gpu rants, or at the very least did not understand them. The argument in both videos was of the horrendous VALUE of low end gpus. He said that although they were primarily used to upgrade a system that previously ran a igpu, the value was so terrible because the card barely outperformed the igpu. He argued that if you were going to upgrade a PC by buying a low end gpu, you were essentially spending 50$ for a tiny, almost negligible improvement. He argued that for spending 100-200$ then you would be getting much more value for your money, and not be wasting your money. How people like you fail to understand Linus'es argument in those videos baffle me, considering he made an entire video making his claims and then a follow up video showing why everyone that countered his claims were wrong. Imo those were some of Linus'es best videos. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

There is alot of entitlement in this thread.   You as individuals cannot dictate what LTT does to suit your viewing preference. 

If you beleive that your opinion is in the majority, run a forum wide poll.  

Otherwise just like the vidoes if you like them and dislike them if you feel differently.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

They can make what they want, I really don't care. I just wont watch what I don't like. 

And I don't like what I have seen lately, more so when the content is from Slick. It's full of forced humour and annoying in jokes. But whatever, I've lost most of my interest with the channel and even this forum, so that could be a major factor in my views. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Honestly, I watch far less videos per week on LTT than I did 2 years ago. I used to watch like every single video but now it's more like  5/10. So basically, I watch half the content now compared to 2014 or 2015 in a week.

This so much, I was the same I'd watch every single video now I probably watch even less than you. It's almost my interest has switched from the videos to the forum. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing :) 

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I enjoy all the videos that Linus does at home.  Making home improvements and the home server.  The latest video on having a tech closet with ventilation was really insightful.  I am more about those.  Also the videos on the rendering server were good, not to mention intense when they started crapping out.  Then victory when they recovered the data.

Scrap yard wars has been interesting.  I have enjoyed the different iterations, but it would be great if they went outside of Canada and had to compete with no information on the surrounding areas.  That would be hilarious.

On 6/14/2016 at 8:58 PM, DevilishBooster said:

I was a B+ avg student, but I also worked all the way through University. Most semesters I was a full time student (12+ credit hours) and I worked 40-50 hrs/wk on top of having a sad excuse of a social life.

Just remember man, "C's get Degrees". :D

yup, i have mostly 5,5-6,5 on my list (US: DCB, UK: EDC)

https://www.studyinholland.nl/documentation/grading-systems-in-the-netherlands-the-united-states-and-the-united-kingdom.pdf

I used to love LTT, and I still do. However, most of their current work just isn't as interesting anymore.

I wish Linus made a spin-off challel with unboxings and overviews like he used to do. I remember his videos used to enough detail without the waffle from TTL and I remember they used to entertain me. That being said, in those days, I had more time than I do now.

On 6/13/2016 at 1:11 PM, MobFactory said:

Build Log from 2 years ago: GOOOOD

I mean sure, the thumbnails better now. But in every other way the old video is superior.

I built my pc around that 4k gaming pc video. Just about 4 months ago I put it together.

Man I loved that video

Shipping sucks

On ‎2016‎.‎06‎.‎13‎. at 9:11 PM, MobFactory said:

Ok... Just to prove my point:

Build Log from 1 month ago:  Look at the vlog style in a supposedly studio quality video.

Build Log from 2 years ago: GOOOOD

I mean sure, the thumbnails better now. But in every other way the old video is superior.

yup I definitely see a difference, 2 years ago he was building a 780ti rig to play games on his Shield tablet-game-boy-thingie

now he's doing all adverts no content...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

For me the new videos feel very artificial/commercial and not very natural like they used to. It is very apparent that those videos are not hobby anymore but it has become business.

That said, I still like watching all LTT videos though I don't find them as good or informative as they used to be when the production quality was lower.

Edit:

For example Luke is very unnatural in recent videos. He acts very PG and businessman like. I know he has to do this but he is overdoing it imo. In WAN Show he is much more relaxed.

On 6/20/2016 at 1:59 PM, GSTARR said:

I built my pc around that 4k gaming pc video. Just about 4 months ago I put it together.

Man I loved that video

That Build Guide was the reason I wanted to build my own computer to begin with. If it wasn't for LTT I probably wouldn't have taken a huge interest in computers. However, it was that first video that not only sparked a want to learn (Rare for me) but a passion that I am looking to carry on later in life as I go through college (With my major being Computer engineering :D ). 

I can relate to what people are saying in here. I am one of the people who still sub to LTT (and probably always will) but, out of pure disinterest in today's content, I will maybe watch one video a week and half the time I won't even finish it (Not including WAN). 

To @nicklmg, I'm not sure if the "rose-colored" glasses phenomenon is a thing, as I truly enjoy your older content. I understand that LTT has had to change the videos, but that won't stop me (and maybe some of these other people) from simply missing the content I originally subbed for.  It's nobody's fault, no one has done anything wrong, it's unfortunately just a thing and it's happened before.

Still, despite content change, I will always love LTT for keeping up with daily content, and helping me find my passion :D 

On 6/20/2016 at 11:08 AM, AluminiumTech said:

no but we need a "LTT Insider Program" were a small group of people get to watch LTT videos early and give feedback in a specialized feedback section on the forum. Where users would be able to specify what week it was and give feedback for that week's videos. Giving issues/problems as well as suggestions.

No we don't. That would be a terrible idea. It works for Windows, but it would be a disaster here. They generally get that info, more or less, in video comments and here in video threads. You have a special idea? PM the staff.

What we need however, and this was discussed as a possibility, is a hidden section where people that know what they're talking about, would provide video and expertise for techquickie videos, depending on the subject. Maybe even for some standard LTT videos. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 6/15/2016 at 5:49 AM, LAwLz said:

...there is still the entire list of things above that they could do.

Here are even more examples to add to the list:

• Videos about Windows 10. They made one about gaming performance, but Windows 10 is such a massive thing that if you are willing to go in-depth you could make a ton of videos about it. Like a review of Cortana (vs Google Now vs Siri or whatever). All the privacy stuff.
  • How about a "console killer"? Pick the parts, build it and test it against an Xbone or PS4.
  • Comparison of codecs. Video, audio, images and so on. I was trying to look up how good the aptX codec is and to my surprise there aren't any (that I could find).
  • How about a guide to game streaming? Seems like a lot of people want to do it, but fail on the technical side.
  • You have a bunch of editors and yet, no videos about video editing.
  • NAS videos. Pre-built vs self-built. Performance. Different RAID setups. Where is the sweet spot.
  • Home automation.
  • 802.11ad (not sure if there is a good way to test this yet)
  • PlayOnLinux and WINE.

The list goes on.

Those are good ideas.  I'd like to see something like any of these, and I wonder why they won't branch out a little more actually.  Two themes/generalizations I'm seeing emerge from that list are A, more software content, and B, more build videos, but of greater diversity - not just "look at this top of the line system"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.