Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
23 hours ago, Semper said:

No direct personal experience with the T3x line, no. I know they're well regarded, as is everything Tikka makes, especially at their cost.
I have experience with a T3 Super Varmint in .222 Rem, not really a long range platform, but I had no complaints about the craftsmanship, fit/finish, or performance of the gun (with the exception being that the polymer mag included with the gun, while not unreliable, didn't feel like it would hold up well to even mild abuse)

Thanks, I love my Tikka, I just find there's not as much info on upgrading them comparing to something like a Remington 700. I like the rifle itself, i just need an adjustuable cheek weld, and a more vertical pistol grip.

23 hours ago, Semper said:

Again, no personal experience with anything KRG, but I know that they're frequently paired with Howa's 1500 actions for impressive performance at a relatively low entry cost.

Being that I don't own a long range platform yet, my knowledge on the subject of glass isn't deep enough to be of substantial value. All of my personally owned magnified optics are really to be considered entry level close/mid range; Crossfire II Scout, Copperhead, MTac LPVO, AX-Freedom (VERY strongly do not recommend), P-Tactical 3-9, SLx 1-6, and a Juliet4 on a Romeo4s.

Mid tier glass, as is to be expected, will be a downgrade from something like an S&B, Nightforce, Steiner, Zeiss, Trijicon, ETC, but that doesn't mean "bad". You'll get some of those compromises that come at a lower cost, abberation, "imperfections" in your glass, lower light transmission, smaller FOV, eye box, ETC, but if those are going to prevent you from making a hit (at least in context to hunting), it's my belief that you've got fundamentals that you need to improve on before that becomes the issue. The SRS that I had hands-on with had a FX1000 6-24 MRAD on it, and it was plenty capable of keeping up with the platform it was on, I'd say that It's interchangeable with a Viper, if not a half step above. A Viper should serve you well, until you're talking about advanced skill levels, the likes of 50% IPSC AC targets at 1500+

Yeah I'd consider myself an advanced shooter for sure, but my local range only reaches out to 1000m, and I unlikely would push a .308 past that. So my main uses are deer/bear, and target out to 1000m. And I was just looking for opinions on glass, so thanks for the info, my experience with high end glass has only been in a professional setting, with minimal time behind mid tier, and I certainly don't shoot enough in my personal time to justify $5000 the price of my rifle on an optic.

Thanks!

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

10 yards range max distance, pretty good I guess for like 7 years since I went shooting

20200804_103733_copy_768x1365.jpg.df68b91031dae9dbb703832306359860.jpg

(Photos for illustration only. Not of my actual firearms)

My daily carry... SIG SAUER P220 DESERT BLACK FDE PISTOL 45 ACP

Today's pickup, my first p220. Desert two tone : SigSauer

My long range... Ruger M77 Mark II in 308 caliber

Ruger ~ M77 Mark II All Weather ~ .22-250 Rem.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Nice. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Does anyone here have experience with Nightforce compared to Vortex?

I'm looking at getting a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 (FFP) 5-25 ($1500 CAD), but also am interested in the Nightforce SHV F1 4-14 ($1750 CAD). I'm interested in the NF because...well NF...

But I'm still leaning towards the Viper, due to it apparently being brighter, having a much better eyebox, slightly better FOV, and mostly due to their unbeatable warranty.

Opinions?

I'm throwing it on a Tikka T3x in .308 if it matters. Ranging from hunting at ~50m, to shooting steel at 1000m.

I'm not particularly hung up on the magnification, I prefer to shoot at lower magnification, and even shooting at ~1600m I usually sit around 18x  (give or take.)

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

12 hours ago, Statik said:

Does anyone here have experience with Nightforce compared to Vortex?

I'm looking at getting a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 (FFP) 5-25 ($1500 CAD), but also am interested in the Nightforce SHV F1 4-14 ($1750 CAD). I'm interested in the NF because...well NF...

But I'm still leaning towards the Viper, due to it apparently being brighter, having a much better eyebox, slightly better FOV, and mostly due to their unbeatable warranty.

Opinions?

I'm throwing it on a Tikka T3x in .308 if it matters. Ranging from hunting at ~50m, to shooting steel at 1000m.

I'm not particularly hung up on the magnification, I prefer to shoot at lower magnification, and even shooting at ~1600m I usually sit around 18x  (give or take.)

Higher-end Vortex scopes are fantastic, a few friends of mine have them on rifles and I am always impressed. 

Nightforce is of course highly regarded, but really there is a good bit of competition in that space now, and honestly some of it is likely better as those brands are really trying to innovate and make names for themselves.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

3 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Crossbreed holster got delivered. Took 3 weeks from being made to shipped.

20200810_152931_copy_1280x846.thumb.jpg.29ffc181eb1de85e0795926c9a523ee7.jpg

I like the crosses.

21 hours ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Crossbreed holster got delivered. Took 3 weeks from being made to shipped.

20200810_152931_copy_1280x846.thumb.jpg.29ffc181eb1de85e0795926c9a523ee7.jpg

Careful holstering that while it's on you!  Those hybrid holsters tend to force people to flag themselves while holstering (to try to create enough space to fit the gun in) and there are minor concerns with the trigger getting caught up in the soft side and causing a discharge.  

They aren't huge concerns, but it's definitely something to keep aware of.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

4 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Took a couple new pictures of my oldest rifle.  1891 Argentine Mauser, by serial number it left the factory in 1892.  Chambered in 7.65x53mm Argentine, 5 shot capacity.

Oh hell yes, nice rifle. I have an 1891 Argentine made in 1893. Mine's not original though, it was one of the numerous rifles sporterized by Kodiak and sold through Montgomery Ward during the '60s. It has about a 21" barrel, numbers all match but the stock was cut down along with that barrel. 

I recently put a 2.75x Burris scout scope on mine that I need to sight-in, but prior to that I've shot it a good bit and it's a hoot. Loading is pretty easy too if you can track down brass, but the PPU stuff works fine.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

21 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Loading is pretty easy too if you can track down brass, but the PPU stuff works fine.

I reload mine from .30-06 brass.  Size them in the 30-06 die.  Relube the cases, then neck size and push the shoulder back in the 7.65 die.  Trim a bunch of extra off and then one last time through the 7.65 die before finishing off the reload process.  Here is a picture mid processing where I have set the shoulder back but not trimmed them yet.

IMAG0369.jpg

1 hour ago, vf1000ride said:

I reload mine from .30-06 brass.  Size them in the 30-06 die.  Relube the cases, then neck size and push the shoulder back in the 7.65 die.  Trim a bunch of extra off and then one last time through the 7.65 die before finishing off the reload process.  Here is a picture mid processing where I have set the shoulder back but not trimmed them yet.

Do you ever find it necessary to turn down the necks? Have any particular makers of .30-06 brass you find work best? I’ve considered converting .30-06 brass but had been told that most converted cases will need neck turning.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

6 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Do you ever find it necessary to turn down the necks? Have any particular makers of .30-06 brass you find work best? I’ve considered converting .30-06 brass but had been told that most converted cases will need neck turning.

I haven't done neck turning on mine.  I reload for mine and a buddies rifle and they both chamber the finished rounds fine, the sierra reloading manual even states that the 30-06 is the correct parent case to use to form the 7.65 brass. The wall thickness ends up being the correct size but the shoulder has softer corners on it than a factory case.  The first time you shoot them in the mauser they fireform the rest of the way and the shoulder takes on a better looking profile. See the picture for a freshly converted case(loaded) that hasn't been fired yet to the once fired 7.65 case that was also converted from -06. You can see how the once fired has nice sharp transitions on the neck now. As for what brass I use, it's whatever commercial 30-06 brass I can collect at the range or I had stored up over the years shooting hunting ammo from my bolt guns in that caliber.  It's a mixed lot of random headstamps.

IMG_20200813_233201547_HDR[1].jpg

If you're in California,
The ban on "high capacity" magazines has been overturned, as of time of post (08/14/2020 - 14:30 PST). We're seeing a second (third?) "freedom week" so to speak. Several places are accepting orders and shipping standard capacity magazines to California residents including (but not necessarily limited to - I'm unable to get a clearly defined answer at time of posting from others) Brownells and Botach. Palmetto State and Optics Planet are accepting orders, but not shipping at present.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

36 minutes ago, Semper said:

If you're in California,
The ban on "high capacity" magazines has been overturned, as of time of post (08/14/2020 - 14:30 PST). We're seeing a second (third?) "freedom week" so to speak. Several places are accepting orders and shipping standard capacity magazines to California residents including (but not necessarily limited to - I'm unable to get a clearly defined answer at time of posting from others) Brownells and Botach. Palmetto State and Optics Planet are accepting orders, but not shipping at present.

It’ll be amazing just how many standard-capacity magazines are going to be found in California sheds and closets today...

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

It’ll be amazing just how many standard-capacity magazines are going to be found in California sheds and closets today...

Mine were never put away.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

3 hours ago, Semper said:

If you're in California,

YAY!!! New York might be next :)

In other good news... one of my pistol references got back to me with the papers they needed to fill out (Not a big process, but they were taking a while.) 

EDIT:
They forgot to sign it & live like 4 hours away....

3 hours ago, Semper said:

If you're in California,

It's a great 2A win! But hold your horses because the stay is still in effect. AG Becerra has until Aug 28th to decide what he wants to do. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Brownells shipped *some* orders out, however as of current, have put a pause on shipping while they review the ruling and await a response. Last known, Target Sports USA is still shipping orders. PSA and OP are still accepting orders, but they're being placed on hold in a first-come first-serve manner, as previous. Botach has made no comment on the matter, I have no confirmation of them shipping orders or placing them on hold (I don't know of anyone who actively shops with them, largely with good reason).

I have no confirmation (either way) from several other retailers.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

On 8/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, Rybo said:

there are minor concerns with the trigger getting caught up in the soft side and causing a discharge.

I'll be honest, I always stick my finger behind the trigger whenever I holster my firearms, just on the off chance that something might snag it during insertion.  It's likely in the range of 1-in-1,000,000 (if not greater) chance that it would ever happen, but I prefer to play it safe.

18 hours ago, Semper said:

Brownells shipped *some* orders out, however as of current, have put a pause on shipping while they review the ruling and await a response. Last known, Target Sports USA is still shipping orders. PSA and OP are still accepting orders, but they're being placed on hold in a first-come first-serve manner, as previous. Botach has made no comment on the matter, I have no confirmation of them shipping orders or placing them on hold (I don't know of anyone who actively shops with them, largely with good reason).

I have no confirmation (either way) from several other retailers.

Seems like pretty much everyone is in a holding pattern right now. Hopefully it goes full send shortly for you guys. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro