Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
1 hour ago, Aimi said:

Like the target load? I think you should find something better to use. #8 is going to be like shooting lead sand at an intruder, and it's not going to be strong enough to cause an immediate stop. You'll also likely end up with a substantial amount of spread if you're not super close to your target.

Consider getting #4 Buckshot, it's highly unlikely to overpenetrate and will be a great deal more effective than what you have now.

#4 buck is a good choice for a home defense shotgun, and most sporting goods stores have it in 12ga as well. For those with a 20ga it’s not quite as easy, but still available.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

14 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

#4 buck is a good choice for a home defense shotgun, and most sporting goods stores have it in 12ga as well. For those with a 20ga it’s not quite as easy, but still available.

I've always been told to go with bird shot.

Granted, my shotgun (Remington 870) is a bird hunting gun, so at 15 feet that bird shot would still probably do horrible things to a person.

The problem however is that it is comically long.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I've always been told to go with bird shot.

Granted, my shotgun (Remington 870) is a bird hunting gun, so at 15 feet that bird shot would still probably do horrible things to a person.

The problem however is that it is comically long.

While a bird shot and buckshot load may both have the same weight, the energy of the individual pellets differs greatly. The birdshot would mess soft tissue up badly, but it doesn't have the energy to penetrate and stop an assailant. Especially with meth heads being so prevalent in our society, you want something with sufficient energy.

I have a 28" barrel with interchangeable chokes that came with my pump 12ga, but I bought a "defense" barrel for it with a cylinder bore choke that's about 19" long. they change out quickly on something like an 870, so if you wanted to keep the defense barrel and buckshot in it, it's a possibility. Just keep in mind that the 870 changed a bit over the years, though it's not quite as problematic in the 12ga. The 16ga and 20ga had a full size receiver, then a "lightweight" receiver in the last 40 years of production, and I believe the full size came in both 2-3/4" and 3" lengths, but all of the lightweight receivers should be 3" capable. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Dude stopped replying... Sold camera to bhphotovideo, had it shipped out today. Have to get total usd confirmation first then going to gun store and just buy one if they have what I want.

26 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

While a bird shot and buckshot load may both have the same weight, the energy of the individual pellets differs greatly. The birdshot would mess soft tissue up badly, but it doesn't have the energy to penetrate and stop an assailant. Especially with meth heads being so prevalent in our society, you want something with sufficient energy.

I have a 28" barrel with interchangeable chokes that came with my pump 12ga, but I bought a "defense" barrel for it with a cylinder bore choke that's about 19" long. they change out quickly on something like an 870, so if you wanted to keep the defense barrel and buckshot in it, it's a possibility. Just keep in mind that the 870 changed a bit over the years, though it's not quite as problematic in the 12ga. The 16ga and 20ga had a full size receiver, then a "lightweight" receiver in the last 40 years of production, and I believe the full size came in both 2-3/4" and 3" lengths, but all of the lightweight receivers should be 3" capable. 

I feel like a few hundred tiny pellets to the face at rather high velocity and density will stop a meth head. Can't see if you don't have eyes lol.

And I'd put on a shorter barrel, but then I'd lose the mag tube extension, which is the longest I could find. It will hold 9 rounds of 3in. Buckshot.

Then again, I'd probably sooner grab the AR pistol that sits next to my bed, with a 40rnd magazine.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

I feel like a few hundred tiny pellets to the face at rather high velocity and density will stop a meth head. Can't see if you don't have eyes lol.

That requires actually getting a hit on their head, which isn't so easy in a real situation. Also, a large part of being able to stop someone is wounding them deep enough in order to hit a vital. Sure they'll stop eventually with enough birdshot but it's simply not powerful enough to be a consistently instant stopper. Some type of buckshot would benefit you way more.

A girl who loves to love.

4 minutes ago, Aimi said:

That requires actually getting a hit on their head, which isn't so easy in a real situation. Also, a large part of being able to stop someone is wounding them deep enough in order to hit a vital. Sure they'll stop eventually with enough birdshot but it's simply not powerful enough to be a consistently instant stopper. Some type of buckshot would benefit you way more.

00buck high brass

2 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Like I said, AR pistol, 40rnd magazine.

As for the shotgun, if I hit the face.... they're gonna stop. I'm sorry but no amount of drugs is going to out badass a concentrated blast of bird shot from a hunting shell, to the face, out of a bird barrel. The choke on that shotgun is meant for turkeys. It spreads about 2 feet over a distance of 15 feet. I know this because I tested it with a field of hay. Lowered the barrel to about 2/3rds the height of the crop, and shot with the barrel as close as I could get to parallel to the ground.

That being said, again.... AR. Pistol. 10.5in barrel. Steel core rounds intermixed with tracer ammo (depending on the magazine.)

1 minute ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

00buck high brass

I'll admit, that's what I keep in it. Not sure how well it would do out of a turkey choke though.

And again... AR Pistol is the closest to hand. Also what I would grab because that shotgun makes no sense indoors.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'll admit, that's what I keep in it. Not sure how well it would do out of a turkey choke though.

And again... AR Pistol is the closest to hand. Also what I would grab because that shotgun makes no sense indoors.

Sawed off coach gun with slugs in both barrels

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

As in a full choke? Not well, I imagine they would flatten out a lot. Modified or Improved Cylinder would be better in the case of 00 Buck.

A girl who loves to love.

30 minutes ago, Aimi said:

As in a full choke? Not well, I imagine they would flatten out a lot. Modified or Improved Cylinder would be better in the case of 00 Buck.

Honestly don't remember. Just remember it was meant for turkeys.

31 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Sawed off coach gun with slugs in both barrels

Get out of my head. That's what I want. Stainless steel, synthetic stock....

Loads shotgun with malicious intent Blank Template - Imgflip

GOD I want a double barrel. I totally won't engrave it with demonic symbols....

17 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Honestly don't remember. Just remember it was meant for turkeys.

Get out of my head. That's what I want. Stainless steel, synthetic stock....

Stoeger makes pretty inexpensive side by sides that are built real tough.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Stoeger makes pretty inexpensive side by sides that are built real tough.

I am aware. It's on my list.

Along with about a billion other guns. I need to buy another AR-10 to justify all the magazines I had for the last one, that I was forced to sell to pay the government its extortion money for not being able to afford health insurance.

1 hour ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Dude stopped replying... Sold camera to bhphotovideo, had it shipped out today. Have to get total usd confirmation first then going to gun store and just buy one if they have what I want.

Who are you replying to?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ya'll buying guns?  No I dont do something like that against the wishes of our government.  I just get billet aluminum and got a couple CNC machines for a small business.  We are in the business, of, uh, making small aluminum parts and figures.  Business has been bad, we are always negative income.  

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Spoiler

Loads shotgun with malicious intent Blank Template - Imgflip

Hmm... maybe I do need a side by side...

4 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

lol restricted item doh

I think you edited this but there are several types of rails so if you get a glock, chances are it has a proprietary Glock rail.

The Glock 19X has a "Picitanni" rail which is a 20mm standard rail. The same as most AR-15 and NATO gun rails.

There's a few other companies that have proprietary rails too.

Some recommend just getting a separate flashlight in case you need a light but don't want to flash your gun.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I think you edited this but there are several types of rails so if you get a glock, chances are it has a proprietary Glock rail.

The Glock 19X has a "Picitanni" rail which is a 20mm standard rail. The same as most AR-15 and NATO gun rails.

There's a few other companies that have proprietary rails too.

Some recommend just getting a separate flashlight in case you need a light but don't want to flash your gun.

1.thumb.png.5f4964b006851b244d0643888cd72737.png

was looking at this

1 minute ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

was looking at this

A link would be better.

Which model pistol did you get exactly? I think you said you were looking at a Glock 19 or a Glock 19X (They are different.)

10 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

FlashlightStreamlight fits most handguns with rails as well as long guns with 1913 (Picatinny-style) rails.

This probably won't fit the glock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

However... idk this looks like a 1913 rail.
It doesn't specify what standard it is though.

https://eu.glock.com/en/technology/gen5

Spoiler

image.png.4d5826660dea1d3569814836f1d6cd8b.png

4 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

maybe better off with this

This one is cheaper:
https://www.ebay.com/i/183776382132?chn=ps

Spoiler

200000LM HID Hand held Camping Spot Light Spotlight Hunting Fishing OffRoad New

48 minutes ago, daveholland86 said:

Ya'll buying guns?  No I dont do something like that against the wishes of our government.  I just get billet aluminum and got a couple CNC machines for a small business.  We are in the business, of, uh, making small aluminum parts and figures.  Business has been bad, we are always negative income.  

Ironic that you say that, as our benevolent and entirely not tyrannical and entirely constitutional government is considering outlawing the possession of anything that can be used to make a firearm. A supposed "ghost gun".

Despite the fact that it is entirely fucking legal under United States Law, to in fact manufacture, for personal use, any firearm that one is capable of purchasing (the only exception being automatic weapons. Although that law is also entirely fucking unconstitutional).

We SERIOUSLY need to get a handle on Congress and the entire Federal government. They've lost sight of who they actually serve.

I suggest we stop paying them. Or allowing them to hold office. Or walk freely for that matter.