Got caught speeding...

JefferyD90

So I got caught speeding today and I got a citation and a court date and everything.  I need some help to build a nice case so I get the best case scenario.  Since there are a lot of smart people here, and a lot of trolls, I expect to get a few good post to help, and a bunch of funny ones to make the "Fuck I just got pulled over" feeling go away.

I live in the state of Kentucky, so double check anything if you're unsure.

Scenario:  I was driving home from taking a co-worker home, they live quite a drive away (3 counties away).  After dropping co-worker off at their house, I proceeded home.  About half way there, just before entering a small community, I was pulled over by a officer.  The officer claimed that I was going 56mph in a 35mph zone.  The officer asked for my license and proof of insurance.  I provided my state drivers license, I also attempted to provide a electronic copy of my insurance (the officer declined it, said I needed a paper copy).  He then wrote a citation, gave me a court date, and I was on my way.

I am being charged with:

1. 00021 Speeding 21 mph over speed limit

2. 00480 Failure of owner to maintain required insurance, 1st offense.

My main arguments:

1.  I was following the flow of traffic.  There was a car behind me (about 5 car lengths or 10 seconds) and I was neither loosing ground or gaining ground.

2.  I am out of town and genuinely unfamiliar with the area.  Any wrong doing was completely unintentional and unintended.

3.  The officer was clocking me at quite literally a worst case scenario.  It was within seconds of entering the speed zone, going down hill, and before the residential zone the speed zone was protecting.  Additionally, before the officer even flipped his lights on I was already below the speed limit.

Additionally:  According to Kentucky State Law "806 KAR 39:070" Section 2.4 "Mandatory contents of the proof of insurance.  In either paper or electronic format, the proof of insurance shall be prominently display the following information, in the order listed:"  and it goes on to say it needs to be black and white, give my name, the policy number, and all of that.  My insurance, that I tried to present, had all of this information.  So displaying this information on my court date, should get me out of charge #2 without much effort.

If anyone has anything else they think I could add, I'd appreciate it.  Also, if you think I have any holes in my claims let me know so I can fill them.

Thanks for the help!

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

pay up is what im going to say 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

"My main arguments:

1.  I was following the flow of traffic.  There was a car behind me (about 5 car lengths or 10 seconds) and I was neither loosing ground or gaining ground.

2.  I am out of town and genuinely unfamiliar with the area.  Any wrong doing was completely unintentional and unintended.

3.  The officer was clocking me at quite literally a worst case scenario.  It was within seconds of entering the speed zone, going down hill, and before the residential zone the speed zone was protecting.  Additionally, before the officer even flipped his lights on I was already below the speed limit.

Additionally:  According to Kentucky State Law "806 KAR 39:070" Section 2.4 "Mandatory contents of the proof of insurance.  In either paper or electronic format, the proof of insurance shall be prominently display the following information, in the order listed:"  and it goes on to say it needs to be black and white, give my name, the policy number, and all of that.  My insurance, that I tried to present, had all of this information.  So displaying this information on my court date, should get me out of charge #2 without much effort."

That should be just enough especially the last part.

Go here :)

-snip-

You are going to get screw on the 21 over, that is not a small amount. Even if you were going the flow of traffic it does not matter if you are the lead car which it sounds like you were. They will not listen to that point of yours. You will have to pay up, you might be able to get rid of the insurance one and maybe drop the speeding under 20 so it is less of a fine. You are screwed any way you look at it, unless the judge is super nice.

1. That might be your only case of how you might get out of the ticket, or at least get a lesser punishment from it.

2. Doesn't matter, you need to watch for signs.

3. Again with #2, doesn't matter, you need to maintain your speed by applying your brakes so you don't go over the speed limit. (How it'll be seen)

- Not an excuse or defence. 

- Not an excuse, you should of paid more attention to traffic signs

-Not an excuse, sign reads 50? go 50, not 51, yes you can be stopped for that

You were in the wrong entirely, face the consequence. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Neither (...) nor (...)

Just fyi.

Bring paper version of insurance as well as electronic version in case judge doesn't want to look at your phone for that.

(Idk, never been to court just things I think might help)

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

You won't be able to get off the 1st charge with those arguments. You can probably get it reduced though with a lawyer. Do you already have pts on your record? If so might be worth the lawyer. 2nd charge is complete BS. It will get dropped. 

BTW - be careful with +20mph speeding tickets. In NYS they can charge you with reckless driving also with +20mph in residential zones. Guessing you were in residential zone since the limit was 35mph. 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

you're not getting out of the first charge, plain and simple.  2nd charge is ez drop.  

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

-Not an excuse, sign reads 50? go 50, not 51, yes you can be stopped for that

While you could be stopped for going 51MPH, they need a margin of error - speedometers are calibrated differently. One speedometer might say 48, while another could say 53.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

say that you had overclocked you car.... 

"Intel Turbo Boost Kicked in"

"My main arguments:

You say that on your court date you  are guaranteed to have the full fine put against you. That is the #1 excuse people use and they will not let you off for it. Same thing with you being out of town. They wont care and it is just another poor excuse to them. The only valid excuse you have is the changing speed zones. Some states require the officers to give a buffer zone for people to slow down. Check your local laws and see if that is a thing where you live.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

im noy a lawyer but u fcked. as far as the speeding they may let u plead guilt to a lower charge. where i live i was 10 over going the flow of traffic and they let me plead guilty to  a 0 point careless driving . had to pay $400 fine. but a 0 point careless driving only is 0 points if you only get that ticket once every 5 yrs

if u show them your insurance card at the court they may let u slide with a warning if your lucky. ive seen them do that to

You are going to get screw on the 21 over, that is not a small amount. Even if you were going the flow of traffic it does not matter if you are the lead car which it sounds like you were. They will not listen to that point of yours. You will have to pay up, you might be able to get rid of the insurance one and maybe drop the speeding under 20 so it is less of a fine. You are screwed any way you look at it, unless the judge is super nice.

Claim being unfamiliar with the area and missed the speed zone sign and just went with the speed of the next car

@JefferyD90. In case you're wondering, if you go show up at court and the officer doesn't show, they'll probably just let you off.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Myth: Matching the “Flow of Traffic” and Passing Are Valid Excuses for Speeding

While driving too slow in traffic can be a hazard, the general concept of “going with the flow” of traffic isn’t going to get you out of a speeding ticket. Professor Bambauer explains that “everyone was doing it” is never a good excuse. Of course, Bambauer also points out that police forces can’t and shouldn’t go after every offender they see, but they might pick one speeder to make an example of.

Essentially, go with the flow at your own risk, but don’t expect to be let off the hook if you end up pulling the short straw. Even briefly passing another car won’t fly as an excuse either. Maybe the car in front of you is going just a little slower than you’d like, but to pass them you know you’ll have to go over the speed limit. As William Van Tassel, AAA’s National Manager of Driver Training, points out, you’re not allowed to exceed the speed limit for any reason—even if it’s just for a moment. Professor Bambauer calls posted speed limits “bright-line rules”:

This means they’re simple and clear. If the limit is 55, as soon as you’re going 56, you’re potentially liable—whether you’re passing, distracted, or rushing to the hospital. The police may decide not to enforce the violation, but you’re at risk.

In fact, when it comes to getting pulled over, it’s generally a bad idea to give any type of excuse for speeding anyway. Aaron Quinn, the communications director for the National Motorists Association, explains that giving a reason to why you were speeding is an open admission that you were speeding:

“Never admit to speeding in the process of talking. I would say just to be polite with the officer. Reasoning with the officer is something that might help you out if you actually are on your way to the hospital. You can try talking, just don’t admit guilt.”

While you could be stopped for going 51MPH, they need a margin of error - speedometers are calibrated differently. One speedometer might say 48, while another could say 53.

Myth: “Radar Inaccuracy” Is a Good Defense for Traffic Tickets

While it is true that radar guns and other similar devices can fail, the odds are stacked against you if you try to make their inaccuracies your defense. Jen Lamboy, at dmv.org, explains that a judge will likely request proof that the radar was inaccurate, and simply stating that the radar didn’t match your speedometer isn’t enough. At that point it’s your word against the radar gun’s, and that won’t get you very far. Professor Bambauer agrees:

...generally this defense won’t work. Some states accept a trained officer’s estimate of your speed; some require only yearly certification or testing; and some courts accept technical violations in things like certificates. It’s hard to prove that radar is inaccurate, and even that may not get the ticket overturned.

The best you could do is suggest that the officer’s equipment hasn’t been re-calibrated recently. For that, you’d need to see the officers calibration records and that would probably involve hiring a traffic attorney. You still may not even win, and at that point, you have to decide what will cost you less.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

This is why my dad has his speedo read slightly more than it is :l

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Claim being unfamiliar with the area and missed the speed zone sign and just went with the speed of the next car

The next car? You mean the one behind him? They don't care about him they care about OP and since OP was not following anyone we know of they will not take that as an excuse. I am also guessing that OP is young so using that will not work in his favor.

I really need to stop speeding. I have never been pulled over for anytning which is surprising as I have been going 45 in a 25 zone right by the courthouse before. Granted, I did have a foot cramp which is a horrible thing while driving, but still no excuse...

You say that on your court date you  are guaranteed to have the full fine put against you. That is the #1 excuse people use and they will not let you off for it. Same thing with you being out of town. They wont care and it is just another poor excuse to them. The only valid excuse you have is the changing speed zones. Some states require the officers to give a buffer zone for people to slow down. Check your local laws and see if that is a thing where you live.

This is very helpful, the bufferzone is something I have heard of several times.  Thanks.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

This is why my dad has his speedo read slightly more than it is :l

fun fact, pretty much all cars do this from factory anyways.

System Specs

Shoulda gone faster to outrun the pol :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Myth: “Radar Inaccuracy” Is a Good Defense for Traffic Ticket[.]

I did not mention anything about a radar. I said speedometer. Two different things. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/speedometer4.htm

No speedometer can be 100 percent accurate. In fact, most manufacturers build speedometers so they fall within a fairly narrow tolerance range, no more than 1 percent to 5 percent too slow or too fast.

Your absolutely screwed on the speeding ticket. None of your answers will hold up in court. You were speeding.lol The insurance fine will be thrown out as long as you do in fact have valid insurance.