Got caught speeding...

JefferyD90

@JefferyD90. In case you're wondering, if you go show up at court and the officer doesn't show, they'll probably just let you off.

The officer was a dingleberry for real.  I do live in Kentucky so you have a 50:50 chance of getting a complete retard as a officer...

I'm halfway banking on this.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

This is why my dad has his speedo read slightly more than it is :l

What? he reads the speedometer?

I just read my tachometer, so I can make sure I dont go above 8000rpm :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The next car? You mean the one behind him? They don't care about him they care about OP and since OP was not following anyone we know of they will not take that as an excuse. I am also guessing that OP is young so using that will not work in his favor.

I meant the other vehicle when I said next car. But my silly excuse is that OP could claim they missed the speed limit sign and just went with the speed of the other car.

@JefferyD90. In case you're wondering, if you go show up at court and the officer doesn't show, they'll probably just let you off.

While im at it, this is also not true.

Myth: Your Ticket Is Automatically Dropped If the Officer Doesn’t Show Up to Court

This may be one of the most widespread ticket myths out there, likely because the truth is so complicated. The idea is that you contest your ticket in court instead of paying it, then the officer that gave you the ticket will supposedly be too busy doing other things to bother showing up to your court hearing. If they don’t show, you automatically win and get your ticket dropped.

Unfortunately, that’s not always how it works. We checked with Derek Bambauer, Professor of Law at the University of Arizona, and he suggested that the law here varies in different states and jurisdictions. In many states, like Massachusetts, the citing officer doesn’t have to show up to your initial hearing at all, and only has to appear if you appeal that initial hearing. In that situation, you would have a hard time getting your ticket dropped unless you had some seriously compelling evidence.

Technically, this strategy could work in some jurisdictions, but Bambauer explains that it’s probably not ideal, even if the officer doesn’t show up:

In some jurisdictions, failure to appear can result in the ticket being dismissed—but the magistrate/judge/other official overseeing the hearing may re-schedule it as well. 
It’s a gamble at best
, since officers usually show up in jurisdictions where that’s required.

(Emphasis added.) If the judge decides to reschedule, the officer will probably show up the next time around, and you have to spend more time in court. In addition, Kat Saks at dmv.org suggests that in some states, the presiding judge might still try the case regardless of whether the officer shows up. Overall, you probably shouldn’t try to challenge a ticket unless you feel like you have an actual reason to.

If you really want to try your luck, however, attorney Le Trinh at FindLaw recommends trying to reschedule the hearing yourself. Officers will try to schedule all of their hearings on the same day, so if you can get a hearing on a different day, it might increase your chances of them being a no-show. Just make sure you check your state and local laws before you go gambling.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I did not mention anything about a radar. I said speedometer. Two different things. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/speedometer4.htm

I'm well aware they are 2 diffrent things, but the cop is not going to pull you over because your speedo is reading 51/ they are going to pull you over cause their radar gun says you are.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

well, unlikely as it may be you might actually get off depending on whether they show up or not. I dont know the laws in Kentucky. (edit apparently already discussed, it's dependent and a gamble)

1. Did you say the car was following you? That's not going with the flow of traffic, you'd be creating the flow.

The rest (not the proof of insurance one) are kind of weak excuses and sounds like you are just trying to avoid being responsible (maybe they'll ask if you want to be a politician). Legitimate or not it will likely come across that way, just be prepared for the concequences.

[snip]

What is your source anyways?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

While im at it, this is also not true.

Myth: Your Ticket Is Automatically Dropped If the Officer Doesn’t Show Up to Court

This may be one of the most widespread ticket myths out there, likely because the truth is so complicated. The idea is that you contest your ticket in court instead of paying it, then the officer that gave you the ticket will supposedly be too busy doing other things to bother showing up to your court hearing. If they don’t show, you automatically win and get your ticket dropped.

Unfortunately, that’s not always how it works. We checked with Derek Bambauer, Professor of Law at the University of Arizona, and he suggested that the law here varies in different states and jurisdictions. In many states, like Massachusetts, the citing officer doesn’t have to show up to your initial hearing at all, and only has to appear if you appeal that initial hearing. In that situation, you would have a hard time getting your ticket dropped unless you had some seriously compelling evidence.

Technically, this strategy could work in some jurisdictions, but Bambauer explains that it’s probably not ideal, even if the officer doesn’t show up:

In some jurisdictions, failure to appear can result in the ticket being dismissed—but the magistrate/judge/other official overseeing the hearing may re-schedule it as well. It’s a gamble at best, since officers usually show up in jurisdictions where that’s required.

(Emphasis added.) If the judge decides to reschedule, the officer will probably show up the next time around, and you have to spend more time in court. In addition, Kat Saks at dmv.org suggests that in some states, the presiding judge might still try the case regardless of whether the officer shows up. Overall, you probably shouldn’t try to challenge a ticket unless you feel like you have an actual reason to.

If you really want to try your luck, however, attorney Le Trinh at FindLaw recommends trying to reschedule the hearing yourself. Officers will try to schedule all of their hearings on the same day, so if you can get a hearing on a different day, it might increase your chances of them being a no-show. Just make sure you check your state and local laws before you go gambling.

Wow, thumbs up for going above and beyond for research.

I meant the other vehicle when I said next car. But my silly excuse is that OP could claim they missed the speed limit sign and just went with the speed of the other car.

I didn't notice any previous sign, although I did see the NEXT sign that was coming up (where the officer was parked).  And I am not super young, late 20s.  Been driving now for 10 years with NO previous tickets or citations.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

A great way to get out of court is to say you are out of the country

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I'm well aware they are 2 diffrent things, but the cop is not going to pull you over because your speedo is reading 51/ they are going to pull you over cause their radar gun says you are.

But if your speedometer says 52, and their radar picks up 55(and suppose you're going 55), the ticket should not be valid. You can dispute that based on the whole speedometer reading. However, it can also depend on how strict the cops are as well - some cops won't care if you go 3MPH over the limit. Others will.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Wow, thumbs up for going above and beyond for research.

Never mentioned a source - I doubt he fabricated it though, but he still needs a source. Otherwise, it's plagiarism.

Edit: Mentioned his source.

Wow American speed limits are weird. In Canada If the posted sign says 90 km/h, expect everyone to be doing 100-105 and the cops will never stop you. also if You have to do 125 to pass some one the cops still wont do anything

@Nexxus

What is your source anyways?

you can see the numerous sources of the info stated in the links, but the article in its entirety was a jalopnik article on debunking speeding ticket myths.

System Specs

But if your speedometer says 52, and their radar picks up 55(and suppose you're going 55), the ticket should not be valid. You can dispute that based on the whole speedometer reading. However, it can also depend on how strict the cops are as well - some cops won't care if you go 3MPH over the limit. Others will.

your word against the cops at that point, good luck with that. 

System Specs

Wow American speed limits are weird. In Canada If the posted sign says 90 km/h, expect everyone to be doing 100-105 and the cops will never stop you. also if You have to do 125 to pass some one the cops still wont do anything

@Nexxus

Thats what everyone DOES sure...but is it what the books permit? I doubt it.

System Specs

@Nexxus

It all depends on the area you live in. Most people drive 80-90MPH in a 65MPH zone in my area. If it's a 35, we go 50 and if it's 45, we go 60-70.

Well. Flow of traffic will just get you laughed at. There are signs on the side of the road, so being in an unfamiliar place is just a excuse that won't fly. Doesn't matter that when the officer got to you, you had slowed down, it's the point from A|----------------|B in that gap, you were speeding. Bring proof of an e-based insurance and a statement, that can be tossed pretty easy

Basically. Pay the speeding ticket like everyone else and don't speed.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Basically. Pay the speeding ticket like everyone else and don't speed.

The speed limits currently imposed in my area are obsolete.

That will not fly, They could care less really, he was the car in front and it is simple as that. Fucked is fucked no matter how you spell it.

@Nexxus

Yeah on the 400 highways it is like 118 is normal. I don't think I have ever followed a speed limit other than when I got behind a cop doing the speed limit

No but when a cop passes you at 180+ in a 80 zone and that is normal (OPP like racing around here) you can do 20+ km over and no ticket unless you are near town in which case 6 over they nail you since that is not OPP area anymore.

The speed limits currently imposed in my area are obsolete.

How so? 

I'm not even sure at this point. I've driven by hundreds of cops in multiple provinces and never had an issue though

large.jpg

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

How so? 

Far too slow for the roads. For example, there's a long stretch that's currently set to 25MPH.

I'm not even sure at this point. I've driven by hundreds of cops in multiple provinces and never had an issue though

For the record, cops eventually give up and give in.