Got caught speeding...

JefferyD90

Far too slow for the roads. For example, there's a long stretch that's currently set to 25MPH.

If they are still enforced then it does not matter if you think they are too slow. I think all speed limits here are 20-30 km too slow but that does not change the actual limits.

For the record, cops eventually give up and give in.

They have no choice really when almost all cars on the road go over, you can't ticket every one. Sure you can ticket the odd one but you can fight that and win most of the time.

If they are still enforced then it does not matter if you think they are too slow. I think all speed limits here are 20-30 km too slow but that does not change the actual limits.

It's up in the air if they're enforced or not - and not every cop is equal around here. Some cops will enforce it, others will go with the speed of travel. I've seen cops do 90+ on the highway even though the limit is set to 65 still.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They have no choice really when almost all cars on the road go over, you can't ticket every one. Sure you can ticket the odd one but you can fight that and win most of the time.

Yes, but I also said they give in. They start speeding as well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's up in the air if they're enforced or not - and not every cop is equal around here. Some cops will enforce it, others will go with the speed of travel. I've seen cops do 90+ on the highway even though the limit is set to 65 still.

Yes, but I also said they give in. They start speeding as well.

I have seem cops speed plenty I think the worst was when I was doing 110 in a 80 and the cops went by at 5 am on a holiday and it seemed like I was standing still. I am guessing they were going 200+ Cops like to speed just like anyone else, they also like distracted driving. They play with their laptops while driving lots. I got out of a distracted driving ticket before by point out he shouldn't be playing on his laptop and he just stood there stunned. Got told to be safer and go on my way. Cops break laws more often that citizens because nothing comes of it.

I live in Indiana, and have been told numerous times, "flow of traffic" does not give you nor them the right to break the law

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

You are going to get screw on the 21 over, that is not a small amount. Even if you were going the flow of traffic it does not matter if you are the lead car which it sounds like you were. They will not listen to that point of yours. You will have to pay up, you might be able to get rid of the insurance one and maybe drop the speeding under 20 so it is less of a fine. You are screwed any way you look at it, unless the judge is super nice.

In California we have a basic speed law which means you have to go as fast or slow as the conditions allow. So see if there's any type of law like that

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. Go to court and hope the cop doesn't show. If he doesn't plead innocent. If he does plead no contest and let the judge decide. You're probably going to pay a couple hundred dollars and get points on your license. 

In California we have a basic speed law which means you have to go as fast or slow as the conditions allow. So see if there's any type of law like that

There is to some degree here, you have to go slower depending on conditions and police will allow you to go faster depending on conditions and the cop. I live in the main corridor of Canada so there are a shit ton of trucks on the road and police. Trucks limit the traffic a lot. They will do 100 all day until they want to pass then it is 102 till they pass which can be 2-3 min some times. 

So I got caught speeding today and I got a citation and a court date and everything.  I need some help to build a nice case so I get the best case scenario.  Since there are a lot of smart people here, and a lot of trolls, I expect to get a few good post to help, and a bunch of funny ones to make the "Fuck I just got pulled over" feeling go away.

I live in the state of Kentucky, so double check anything if you're unsure.

Scenario:  I was driving home from taking a co-worker home, they live quite a drive away (3 counties away).  After dropping co-worker off at their house, I proceeded home.  About half way there, just before entering a small community, I was pulled over by a officer.  The officer claimed that I was going 56mph in a 35mph zone.  The officer asked for my license and proof of insurance.  I provided my state drivers license, I also attempted to provide a electronic copy of my insurance (the officer declined it, said I needed a paper copy).  He then wrote a citation, gave me a court date, and I was on my way.

I am being charged with:

1. 00021 Speeding 21 mph over speed limit

2. 00480 Failure of owner to maintain required insurance, 1st offense.

My main arguments:

1.  I was following the flow of traffic.  There was a car behind me (about 5 car lengths or 10 seconds) and I was neither loosing ground or gaining ground.

2.  I am out of town and genuinely unfamiliar with the area.  Any wrong doing was completely unintentional and unintended.

3.  The officer was clocking me at quite literally a worst case scenario.  It was within seconds of entering the speed zone, going down hill, and before the residential zone the speed zone was protecting.  Additionally, before the officer even flipped his lights on I was already below the speed limit.

Additionally:  According to Kentucky State Law "806 KAR 39:070" Section 2.4 "Mandatory contents of the proof of insurance.  In either paper or electronic format, the proof of insurance shall be prominently display the following information, in the order listed:"  and it goes on to say it needs to be black and white, give my name, the policy number, and all of that.  My insurance, that I tried to present, had all of this information.  So displaying this information on my court date, should get me out of charge #2 without much effort.

If anyone has anything else they think I could add, I'd appreciate it.  Also, if you think I have any holes in my claims let me know so I can fill them.

Thanks for the help!

I'll start off saying I was in Law Enforcement. I was a Traffic Detective.  Following flow of traffic,  does not making speeds legal, it makes a lot of people doing illegal things. You are supposed to slow down when you see the sign, not at the sign, common misconception.  Just because it was unintentional does not make it not wrong.