Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I also had a moment when i wanted a new pc and i was just going like "Mom my new pc is going to be a Pentium 3 with a core speed of 1000MHz , 2x 3dfx Voodoos 5's with 64mb of VRAM and 512mb of random access memory" and she was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? im not buying you that,thats to expensive your gonna get that when you grow up" i busted out laughing and i always hit my head somewhere i dont remember where :DxD

Lots of words = lots of price

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

I tried to make it seem as complicated as possible and thats how old people's brain runs like

best way to explain it!

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

34 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

If it runs on magic, why didn't the cavemen have mice?

Checkmate, atheists!

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

After graduating my Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, my mom's friend asked me to create a website for her. And I quote, "Use my company as a practice, make a website for me."

One does not simply, create a website and call it "practice".

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

14 minutes ago, FRN said:

After graduating my Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, my mom's friend asked me to create a website for her. And I quote, "Use my company as a practice, make a website for me."

One does not simply, create a website and call it "practice".

OMG I BURST OUT LAUGHTING !!! xDxDxDxDxD

i was talking to my mates about what our internet service was like.my friend who is a bit of a spud says i don't have internet i have wifi. also probably worth noting that his dad works for an internet service provider. RETARD

2 minutes ago, youravggeek said:

i was talking to my mates about what our internet service was like.my friend who is a bit of a spud says i don't have internet i have wifi. also probably worth noting that his dad works for an internet service provider. RETARD

nah, he doesn't have a job, he just has a car xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

27 minutes ago, The Realist said:

OMG I BURST OUT LAUGHTING !!! xDxDxDxDxD

And by "practice", she meant she's not going to pay me since I'm only "practicing".

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

10 hours ago, FRN said:

And by "practice", she meant she's not going to pay me since I'm only "practicing".

I know...the most stupidest women i heard of i mean that women beats my moms stories xD

On 6/19/2016 at 10:25 AM, wkdpaul said:

*snip* ... if I'd listen to everyone here I would've bought an unlocked i7 and a 980ti. *snip*

ha! my post was prophetic!

Guy asks if he should buy a CPU or GPU;

Hi, i have a really big doubt and that is should i upgrade my cpu that is an i3 4160 to an i74790k or my gpu that is an gtx 750ti sc to an gtx 970ti??

and then lots of people told him he should get a k CPU ... even though he mentions he has a H81 motherboard!

*sigh*

He should obviously wait a bit because of the new gen GPU and get a decent GPU that fits the games and resolution he's playing, but everyone is jumping on the RX 480 and unlocked CPU ... that's why I take suggestions on this forum with a chunk of salt!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

38 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

ha! my post was prophetic!

Guy asks if he should buy a CPU or GPU;

and then lots of people told him he should get a k CPU ... even though he mentions he has a H81 motherboard!

*sigh*

He should obviously wait a bit because of the new gen GPU and get a decent GPU that fits the games and resolution he's playing, but everyone is jumping on the RX 480 and unlocked CPU ... that's why I take suggestions on this forum with a chunk of salt!

Yeah I have seen a bit of that on the forums, people also just recommend parts without reading the entire use case like recommending xeons and quadros for every workstation, or in the new builds secrion people try to upsell the OP to better parts outside their budget.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

23 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Yeah I have seen a bit of that on the forums, people also just recommend parts without reading the entire use case like recommending xeons and quadros for every workstation, or in the new builds secrion people try to upsell the OP to better parts outside their budget.

What people here are not doing is manage real life situation, including budget.

My build (http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jkh3Cy) was around $400 CAD, while it's not a great build it was dirt cheap for what I got and I still had people told me I could've done better ... yeah right! (the prices I put is what I actually paid minus the GPU, I factored in what I got from selling my old GPU)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

16 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

But that PC was actually pretty expensive.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

6 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

But that PC was actually pretty expensive.

i said that to my mom back in 2008 so yea back then it was nothing , but does pc's are still in my heart and will be forever <3 xD

First of all: NOOOOOO SOMEONE CLICKED FOLLOW AND BECAME THE 250th FOLLOWER BEFORE ME NOOOOOO NOW I'M THE 251st NOOOO

OT:

Ok so this isn't really that non-techie but yesterday I saw someone taking pictures with a surface :D (to be fair it wasn't a surface pro it was one of those 9inch or so surfaces with Intel atoms). Must have been heavy and uncomfortable, not to mention that the picture quality probably wasn't that great.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I have no idea how to react to this. Does this even belong here?

http://9gag.com/gag/aXwEZqv

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

I have no idea how to react to this. Does this even belong here?

http://9gag.com/gag/aXwEZqv

I guess that would depend on whether or not you consider the PCMR friend or the person that hit him a "non-techie" :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Something from our great University of Economics in Poznań, Poland.

We're just having an another boring lecture in microeconomics... Nothing special, just easy, logical stuff put into the most unappropriate and unreasonable math forms, so that none would understand it right away. ANYWAY.

Each lecture and class room has a PC, that hooks up to the projector at the end of the room. And the whole building is newly-build year ago (so called CEUE, which is Centre of Electronic Educations in short), all stations (not so new) are these low-profile HP ones, with Win 7.

And outta nowhere the pdf for out lecturer freezes.

Silence on the gathered mob of 150 students emerge.

And on screen appears "Preparing the Windows 10 Update".
XXXD
I just barely got my laughter contained. Sadly these HP machines were so slow, that the update unpack process didn't even end in the 50minutes we had till the end.

At the end of the day...(or rather week) we come there for another lecture... And we see Win 7 Non-genuine Build (I believe) 7300, black desktop background and all sort of typical stuff.

Laughter happened.
This is so much funnier, knowing that in the building are actually people practically only associated with IT department of our University. xxxD

6 minutes ago, Zubkover said:

*snip*

This whole Windows 10 automatic update thing has been hilarious.  I think it's really outed all the people and departments that don't deserve the job they have.  What kind of incomprehensibly incompetent IT would let their machines automatically update to another OS against their will, without them knowing?  Most IT departments won't even let minor updates through until they've been reviewed, never mind a complete OS change!  This is just hilarious on a whole other level!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This whole Windows 10 automatic update thing has been hilarious.  I think it's really outed all the people and departments that don't deserve the job they have.  What kind of incomprehensibly incompetent IT would let their machines automatically update to another OS against their will, without them knowing?  Most IT departments won't even let minor updates through until they've been reviewed, never mind a complete OS change!  This is just hilarious on a whole other level!

Agreed. Plus, why in the blue hell would an IT department do a upgrade install. Most likely they will need to re-image the machines after they have conducted tests. I have never had an upgrade install go right, never. I think MS did it the wrong way. What they should have done is given IT departments 1 free license and allowed them to run checks. Then if they wanted to upgrade they would have the ISO and just upgrade or buy the licenses. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

37 minutes ago, Zubkover said:

Something from our great University of Economics in Poznań, Poland.

We're just having an another boring lecture in microeconomics... Nothing special, just easy, logical stuff put into the most unappropriate and unreasonable math forms, so that none would understand it right away. ANYWAY.

Each lecture and class room has a PC, that hooks up to the projector at the end of the room. And the whole building is newly-build year ago (so called CEUE, which is Centre of Electronic Educations in short), all stations (not so new) are these low-profile HP ones, with Win 7.

And outta nowhere the pdf for out lecturer freezes.

Silence on the gathered mob of 150 students emerge.

And on screen appears "Preparing the Windows 10 Update".
XXXD
I just barely got my laughter contained. Sadly these HP machines were so slow, that the update unpack process didn't even end in the 50minutes we had till the end.

At the end of the day...(or rather week) we come there for another lecture... And we see Win 7 Non-genuine Build (I believe) 7300, black desktop background and all sort of typical stuff.

Laughter happened.
This is so much funnier, knowing that in the building are actually people practically only associated with IT department of our University. xxxD

An SSD might help.

But why was it allowed to upgrade in the first place?

Specs:

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

An SSD might help.

But why was it allowed to upgrade in the first place?

It's the new setup Microsoft did. They basically take closing the upgrade panel as a "yes" and automatically schedule the update.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

8 hours ago, MDPS said:

It's the new setup Microsoft did. They basically take closing the upgrade panel as a "yes" and automatically schedule the update.

Yeah, and while I agree it's not a good thing, the computers should have updates disabled and/or the person working on the computer should be able to read the large text saying that the update is scheduled.

Specs:

4 minutes ago, MDPS said:

No, they took people at their word when they said "please install recommended updates automatically". Any self-respecting IT dept. will change that setting and distribute updates via the GPO.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

No, they took people at their word when they said "please install recommended updates automatically". Any self-respecting IT dept. will change that setting and distribute updates via the GPO.

If I remember correctly you can setup a server to distribute Windows updates on a Domain. I would think IT departments would do this. They make the updates available after they have been tested. At least that was what I remember learning. This was back during my Windows Server 2003 course. Server 2008 just came out about that time. LOL. I feel old. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.