lol my "when I was young" quotes are more in the lines of:

"I saw the VHS vs Beta format war!"

"Our first VHS recorder was $800 CAD"

"The cable remote was wired to the cable box"

seriously, it looked like this;

58de3d69d63962263f408c6f387756a3.jpg

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

When I was young: 

A 20" CRT was considered large, the Fax machine had just been introduced, Apple II was awesome (still is), and Americans were slim. 

Well we all have different definitions!

On a side note: Gosh we Americans are getting way too fat! KILL MCDONALDS!!!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Well we all have different definitions!

On a side note: Gosh we Americans are getting way too fat! KILL MCDONALDS!!!

No shit we are fat. I get on State Insurance because Obama is going to punish me for not having any. Any who, they make me go to the Doctor to get checked out. I used to weight about 240 or so I get weighted and Im 269. Needless to say I was not happy. Also found out I had high blood pressure. So no more Mc Donalds or Checkers for me. At least I got back down to 240 but Id like to loose more. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No shit we are fat. I get on State Insurance because Obama is going to punish me for not having any. Any who, they make me go to the Doctor to get checked out. I used to weight about 240 or so I get weighted and Im 269. Needless to say I was not happy. Also found out I had high blood pressure. So no more Mc Donalds or Checkers for me. At least I got back down to 240 but Id like to loose more. 

I find myself fat at 220, even if I'm 6'4 (1.93m) ... and Canadian xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Reminds me.... WE ALSO NEED TO KILL THE IMPERIAL SYSTEM AND FAHRENHEIT ALREADY. Gosh we really should have switched to metric by now... I guess Americans are just too lazy...

I'm pretty sure that it was attempted to switch to metric in the 80s or something... But people were too lazy so that ended up failing...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I know for a fact I am Fat. My weight is suppose to be around 170-180. Ive been over weight for so long. Id like to see 180 again. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

29 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Does Canadian make a difference?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

9 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Does Canadian make a difference?

no, that's why I put the smiley ;)

19 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I know for a fact I am Fat. My weight is suppose to be around 170-180. Ive been over weight for so long. Id like to see 180 again. 

lol yeah, from the different ideal weight formulas I should be around 180, max 190, haven't seen that in years!

On 6/25/2016 at 6:38 AM, henkka_scorpio said:

whats the logic in that? Can his "super gaming laptop" even play dvds?

To be fair, my gaming desktop doesn't even play dvd's.

jus sayin...

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

64kg 1.65cm

141 pounds 5'4

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Since this is not a weight sharing site im gonna go with some of the ones i have.

My mom had an 83 year old show her what an ipad is and what it is used for, she only got a smartphone a year ago and (obviously) needed my help to set it up, she does not know how to make chrome go in inkognito mode. My stepdad had me show him how to make a contact on his samsung galaxy 5 mini and how to make folders in his gallery. 

(I think) I'm still under 100 pounds... If I still am it'll be something like 98 pounds lol.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

How is this thread still going?

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

27 minutes ago, nillas12 said:

How is your brain still going?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

How is your brain still going?

Pretty good, thank you very much.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Man this thread gets off topic easily. 

- Being the "Office tech guy" was a mistake. Voluntary position on top of my standard roles, but now I get to deal with all the mundane requests like "the icon on my desktop disappeared", and "How to I change the font in MS?"

Fun times. 

15 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Man this thread gets off topic easily. 

- Being the "Office tech guy" was a mistake. Voluntary position on top of my standard roles, but now I get to deal with all the mundane requests like "the icon on my desktop disappeared", and "How to I change the font in MS?"

Fun times. 

Yeah, at least I get paid for this! ;)

TLDR at the bottom;

Reminds me of something that happened today, don't know why people are so damn stupid, got an email regarding a laptop for a sales rep, she was asking if I received it (first time I hear about it)... she also includes the FedEx tracking saying it's not working.

So first thing I did was track the package on FedEx and WTF? It's working... I also noticed the destination city isn't the office but HER address!

So I asked the people "on my side" (the IT guys responsible for sending out replacement PC, they are in the US) and discover that it's the correct tracking and it's going to her personal address (we have sales rep all over in 2 different provinces so sending them their equipment directly makes sense).

In the end I didn't reply and looked at the tracking 2 hours later, she got it (we can verify the signature). Not sure what it was all about.

TLDR; sales rep asked me for something I had nothing to do with, while she actually had the answer.

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

-snip-

Sounds like the people who you work with do want to think for themselves. 

There is this engineer at work who is always complaining about his screens, his keyboard and how much RAM his computer has.

He doesn't use the keyboard that often since he is an engineer, but after his complaining it got replaced, but it is wasn't an expensive Model M so he still wants an upgrade. 

He also complained about his monitors so they got replaced, the replacements are not good enough so now he wants to trade monitors with other people who don't want to trade. 

16GB of RAM also isn't good enough when you find out the new engineering computers have 32GB. I hate people sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

*snip*

haha the engineer I had (we only had one and he left 2 years ago, they never replaced him) was the nicest guy!

I totally understand, the sales rep I was talking about is exactly as you described, her setup is completely ridiculous for what she does with it ... lets face it, a sales rep doesn't need a laptop with 16GB of RAM and an expensive dock so she can have dual 21" monitors. (to this day I have "no idea" ;) how she gets those request to pass).

10 hours ago, nillas12 said:

We're almost gonna hit 1000 pages for the second time, so I have no idea....

It seems that every time someone becomes inactive a new person joins, takes their place, and comes in with new funny stories.... My guess is this thread will keep going for at least another few years if not until a zombie apocalypse happens.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

haha the engineer I had (we only had one and he left 2 years ago, they never replaced him) was the nicest guy!

I totally understand, the sales rep I was talking about is exactly as you described, her setup is completely ridiculous for what she does with it ... lets face it, a sales rep doesn't need a laptop with 16GB of RAM and an expensive dock so she can have dual 21" monitors. (to this day I have "no idea" ;) how she gets those request to pass).

There was also a salesman who got a $3,500 engineering laptop when the IT crew was away on holidays.  I don't know what was wrong with his 4 year old similarly priced laptop, I used it for 2 months no problem, but a month ago he dropped his new laptop and broke it (It has since been fixed https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/237488-comic_sans_ms/?status=138655&type=status) and went back to his old laptop which is still overkill for his needs. 

Since an offsite engineer just left, now there are 2 unused HP Zbook 17's which is great, I love expensive laptops. 

8 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There was also a salesman who got a $3,500 engineering laptop when the IT crew was away on holidays.  I don't know what was wrong with his 4 year old similarly priced laptop, I used it for 2 months no problem, but a month ago he dropped his new laptop and broke it (It has since been fixed https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/237488-comic_sans_ms/?status=138655&type=status) and went back to his old laptop which is still overkill for his needs. 

Since an offsite engineer just left, now there are 2 unused HP Zbook 17's which is great, I love expensive laptops. 

Speaking of which, I was at a dance party (trust me it's not as fun as it sounds. It was at a camp so lots of small children) and the DJ had an HP Omen Toshiba Qosmio. I asked him a couple questions about the specs and he had no idea. He said it was a "gaming" (I hate that phrase) laptop because he needed it for video editing, but I feel like he'd be better off with something more basic. And I also think video editors should understand basic specs. He didn't know anything about his specs besides the fact that he had an i7.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

22 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

We're almost gonna hit 1000 pages for the second time, so I have no idea....

It seems that every time someone becomes inactive a new person joins, takes their place, and comes in with new funny stories.... My guess is this thread will keep going for at least another few years if not until a zombie apocalypse happens.

Chances are, some form of this thread will survive a zombie apocalypse. I imagine 2 person with common sense meeting and I'm sure they would have tons of stories about "non-techies" (in the zombie sense, like "non-survivalist" ...) :D

Talking about the zombie apocalypse, I just discovered there are 2 dead rising movies!!! ^_^