Experiences with non-techies

7 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Speaking of which, I was at a dance party (trust me it's not as fun as it sounds. It was at a camp so lots of small children) and the DJ had an HP Omen. I asked him a couple questions about the specs and he had no idea. He said it was a "gaming" (I hate that phrase) laptop because he needed it for video editing, but I feel like he'd be better off with something more basic. And I also think video editors should understand basic specs. He didn't know anything about his specs besides the fact that he had an i7.

When you say HP Omen, do you mean a cheap HP or the HP Omen series. Cheaper HPs are the sign of the devil.

I feel like people should know what is in there computer as well, but people cannot be bothered so they spend money on things that doesn't matter and are fine with it because they don't know any better.

8 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

When you say HP Omen, do you mean a cheap HP or the HP Omen series. Cheaper HPs are the sign of the devil.

I feel like people should know what is in there computer as well, but people cannot be bothered so they spend money on things that doesn't matter and are fine with it because they don't know any better.

HP Omen. But they be overpriced. Toshiba Qosmio

Seriously it takes 2 minutes of research. "best gaming laptops" (I would lmgtfy but it's against  community standards -_-)

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

lolololol on the gaming section of the HP website

Capture.PNG

*Talks about fancy speakers*

*Person wearing headphones*

Specs:

@wkdpaul

@Comic_Sans_MS

Wait nvm I remember it was a Toshiba gaming laptop.

EDIT: Toshiba Qosmio to be precise.

Specs:

@BingoFishy just saw your location, in French you have to say "les" since the United-States is the plural form ("le" = singular, "les" = plural) ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

@BingoFishy just saw your location, in French you have to say "les" since the United-States is the plural form ("le" = singular, "les" = plural) ;)

Is it now?

Fixing.

It's been weeks since I've been in French class, forgive me.

Specs:

My friends thought I was a photoshop pro because I made this crappy meme in Paint xD 

a0126590_22294935.jpg

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

Is it now?

Fixing.

It's been weeks since I've been in French class, forgive me.

no worries, learning new languages is hard, just one or two days without lessons and I feel like I forget all the Mandarin I'm learning! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

My friends thought I was a photoshop pro because I made this crappy meme in Paint xD 

a0126590_22294935.jpg

M5 P41n7 15 7h3 b35t.

Specs:

Specs:

28 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Speaking of which, I was at a dance party (trust me it's not as fun as it sounds. It was at a camp so lots of small children) and the DJ had an HP Omen. I asked him a couple questions about the specs and he had no idea. He said it was a "gaming" (I hate that phrase) laptop because he needed it for video editing, but I feel like he'd be better off with something more basic. And I also think video editors should understand basic specs. He didn't know anything about his specs besides the fact that he had an i7.

Yeah "gaming" for a laptop pretty just means it is expensive, my friend bought a $1000 "gaming" laptop for bestbuy because they said it was good ( you can pretty well see where this is going) but it only had a 940m and some i3.

Also I have had people think that my laptop is expensive just because it had a beats logo on it, even though the whole laptop was cheaper then a pair of their headphones.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

8 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Yeah "gaming" for a laptop pretty just means it is expensive, my friend bought a $1000 "gaming" laptop for bestbuy because they said it was good ( you can pretty well see where this is going) but it only had a 940m and some i3.

Also I have had people think that my laptop is expensive just because it had a beats logo on it, even though the whole laptop was cheaper then a pair of their headphones.

:|

Can't trust best buy. Besides, ASUS and MSI have laptops lower than that with 960Ms.

Specs:

52 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

haha the engineer I had (we only had one and he left 2 years ago, they never replaced him) was the nicest guy!

I totally understand, the sales rep I was talking about is exactly as you described, her setup is completely ridiculous for what she does with it ... lets face it, a sales rep doesn't need a laptop with 16GB of RAM and an expensive dock so she can have dual 21" monitors. (to this day I have "no idea" ;) how she gets those request to pass).

I'm a sales rep with a Lenovo X1 Carbon :P

8 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

I'm a sales rep with a Lenovo X1 Carbon :P

It's not really overkill though.

Is it nice? I tried it out at Micro Center and it seemed pretty nice.

Specs:

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

It's not really overkill though.

Is it nice? I tried it out at Micro Center and it seemed pretty nice.

1440p IPS matte touch screen, i7-5500u Processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe x4 SSD. 

It's pretty sweet for e-mails & word documents. 

Solid construction, nice keyboard, and lightweight. Battery life is about 5 1/2 hours. 

So I got one. My dad got his first smart phone last year for his bday. It just a Samsung Prime, it was $129 + tax and accessories. Well he does not have a payment option entered for his Google Account, because when he buys stuff online, he just gives me cash and I buy it. He bitches " I cant down load apps, because it needs a credit card". So I look at the screen and do this thing called "reading", there is a skip option dad. Ive shown him twice and he still bitches he cant down load apps. Im like what ever. My mom is on the fence about getting a smart phone, well me, my sister and dad are on T Mobile, my moms on Verizon so her bill would go up to a level she doesn't want to pay. Any way, Im almost glad she doesn't have one, or else all Id be doing is having to fix phones that aint broke. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Quite a few years ago when I was working a Burger King aka the BK lounge. We had computers that used Windows 98 and ME (Pirated) and running a crappy piece of shit software that we used to take orders. Well the monitors were touchscreen. They cost about $500, I looked it up online before. Any way, some one took a dirty rag from the sanitizer bucket and wiped the monitor off. Needless to say, it wasnt touchscreen any more. We had to use a mouse to take orders, what a pain in the ass. Or people would try to clean them with glass cleaner, I was like, NO, GOD PLEASE, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. 

Another time when I worked at Burger King. One of my co workers was like I get BK WiFI at home. I was like no you dont. She said I pick up Linksys at home. I was like that aint BK WiFI. Your neighbors and idot and dont know how to enable encryption. On top of the fact, the owner used to do payroll through BK's unsecured WiFI. 

When I worked at Sam's Club, a guy was having an issue finding an item as we didnt carry it at the store. People just assume if its online that its at the club. So he wanted us to order it. Well we did not do that, he had to order it online. The Club manger told him to do it on one of our display laptops. I was like, this is unsecured WiFI. No one seemed to care. I was like your going to get your card details stolen. He ended up not being able to log in to his online account. Saved his bank account I guess. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Spending around an hour explaining to your mother what a HDD is and why it should be replaced since its dying.

Trying to explain to my stubborn brother (who has used computers just as long as I have so he should know this...) that 2GB of RAM is NOT enough anymore if you don't want a turtle for a computer.

Trying to get my brother to understand as I have learned that the amount of VRAM on a GPU is NOT the sole determinant of performance.

Trying to point out the fact that no one considers running a game at single digit fps in any way acceptable.  (The game in this case was Xcom 2)

Anyone noticing a trend here?  ?  lol

I'm not an expert on PC hardware but I'm trying to learn at least.  That's how I know that just because my GTX 970 has the same 4GB amount of VRAM as my 960 has does not mean they are equal in terms of performance for example.

I don't mean to be too hard on him but it's just so frustrating when I try to educate him on some of the things I've learned and he refuses to listen.

6 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

1440p IPS matte touch screen, i7-5500u Processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe x4 SSD. 

It's pretty sweet for e-mails & word documents. 

Solid construction, nice keyboard, and lightweight. Battery life is about 5 1/2 hours. 

You sent him into full salesmen mode. 

COME BACK TO US, YOU'RE NOT AT WORK

**Heavy breathing**

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

4 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

Spending around an hour explaining to your mother what a HDD is and why it should be replaced since its dying.

This hits too close to home, try explaining to your mother (thats 1700 miles away) that the data on her HDD isn't recoverable. She express mailed it to me, i attempted a fix.. When plugged into my PC, ended up corrupting my hard drives, had to wipe and reformat my pc... So when i told her i was able to format her HDD i told her that was all i was able to do, however while in the process of formatting it, it came up as a "Bad drive" (wonderful... another thing to explain). Anyway will be using it as target practice this weekend. 

Forgot to add:

She ended up buying a whole new laptop (was a 5 year old vaio anywho) Threw a HDD i had laying around into it, gave the laptop to my fiancee for the time being so ill stop accidentally deleting her wedding plan folder lol with my re-formats 'n such. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

My friend bought (a few months ago) a titan x instead of 2 980 ti´s. I wanted him to wait for the 1080 but he wanted a good desktop now, he did not even have a good reason to a titan x instead of 2 980 ti´s. He literally said when i asked him "well i just want one", "thats not a good reason", "no but it is a reason". Luckily he listened to me on monitors and got a 1440p, 144 hz, g-sync monitor with a small bezel and decent colors instead of a 4k monitor.

2 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

My friend bought (a few months ago) a titan x instead of 2 980 ti´s. I wanted him to wait for the 1080 but he wanted a good desktop now, he did not even have a good reason to a titan x instead of 2 980 ti´s. He literally said when i asked him "well i just want one", "thats not a good reason", "no but it is a reason". Luckily he listened to me on monitors and got a 1440p, 144 hz, g-sync monitor with a small bezel and decent colors instead of a 4k monitor.

Just wanting one is a valid argument, as a lot of games don't support SLI properly. But i agree, 980ti's would have been the better option as a "I want it now" card. 

HeadsetLogitech G430  

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

Just wanting one is a valid argument, as a lot of games don't support SLI properly. But i agree, 980ti's would have been the better option as a "I want it now" card. 

Well its not like the titan x is THAT much better than a 980 ti, besides unless its like day z i would think the vast majority of the games that need more thana 980 ti has sli support