"My monitor is stuck on a black screen."
"Can you check if it's plugged in?"
"I would, but I can't see anything."
"Huh? Why?"
"The power's out."

----------------------------------------------

While trying to work out a complicated problem on one's computer remotely:

"Could you share your desktop?" - "No, i have a laptop! I told you this!"

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

On 6/17/2016 at 8:38 PM, brune67 said:

Yes..... hence my signature.....

Which has been spreading, btw. 

vvvvv exhibit A vvvvv

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah boys it's the final mile! Just reached page 900!

Almost at the end.......

I also want to be the 250th follower of this :D 

was funny to get notifications for stuff I forgot posting about! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, DXMember said:

"My monitor is stuck on a black screen."
"Can you check if it's plugged in?"
"I would, but I can't see anything."
"Huh? Why?"
"The power's out."

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

Had a friend swap his amd processor himself, and then ask me an hour later if he needed to apply thermal paste

10 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

*snip*

It wasn't your grammar I was "complaining" about ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

@mikat I can never get over that washing machine on the trampoline

Edit: surprise poetry

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

16 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Back to topic (TLDR at the bottom);

how you f*** yourself up ...

So, I'm still working on the "Leftover build" (waiting for the case) and since it's a gaming rig for my nephew I thought I could introduce him to a few older but still great games. So I went to my box filled with CD and DVD games and pulled out;

- Fallout 3

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

- Dead Rising 2

- GRID 2

plus a few others I forgot. First game was Oblivion, install went fine, then I opened the game to test it out and horror!!! I had TONS of artifacts!?!?!?! First reaction was to check the GPU for damages (it really looked like a GPU dying, if you ever saw one), but every other games and benchs ran fine without any glitches or artifacts ... this was then followed by 3 hours or uninstall/restart/install/graphic option tweaks but NOTHING was fixing the artifacts I was getting.

During one of the uninstall/install waiting time, out of boredom, I turned around the game box (like this box) and realized one of the system requirements was DirectX 9.0c ... *FACEDESK*

After installing DirectX 9.0c the game plays at a stable 80fps with the settings all maxed out! :D

TLDR; ALWAYS read the system requirements of a game, also DX11&DX12 aren't direct replacement for a DX9.0c redist.

yathosecplusplusredists.PNG

On a similar note...

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

15 hours ago, themaniac said:

while its not my place to say anything, i would get him some sort of strategy game, since they tend to(at least for me) help comprehension and he might like them, it doesn't have to be anything amazing, maybe something like Rome Total War(its currently $10 on steam) and the steam summer sale is coming up soon so you might be able to get Civ 5 for cheap or if you want to give him a game that takes a lot of learning(or should i say a lot of time to semi master, i've put almost 800 hours in it and i'm still shit) Europa Universalis 4 but only if its on sale during the steam summer sale since the major parts are locked away behind dlc

While those are good suggestions, my nephew already has a Steam account and the most gaming he does is Minecraft and CSGO, plus the whole point of the build I'm doing for him is that I'm not spending money on it and use only what is "left over" from older builds, that include games! xD

I'm also gonna let him "build" it (I will box everything and I'll help him build it, minus the Windows and games install since I've done that already!).

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

While those are good suggestions, my nephew already has a Steam account and the most gaming he does is Minecraft and CSGO, plus the whole point of the build I'm doing for him is that I'm not spending money on it and use only what is "left over" from older builds, that include games! xD

I'm also gonna let him "build" it (I will box everything and I'll help him build it, minus the Windows and games install since I've done that already!).

ok, that makes sense, then maybe have him get one(when he has enough) and if he doesn't like it after about 1 hours to 1 hour and 30 minutes of play time he can just return it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

37 minutes ago, themaniac said:

ok, that makes sense, then maybe have him get one(when he has enough) and if he doesn't like it after about 1 hours to 1 hour and 30 minutes of play time he can just return it

Actually I might have Civ4 laying around ... and maybe even Cossacks 3, I would have to go back to my box of old games (I swear I even have un-opened games).

Just saw this posted somewhere...

No, 120fps is just faster, anything over 2000fps will cause headaches since that is the speed the human eye can perceive motion. (Thats why people get headaches from bluray). 

Yes, of course all blurays are 2000+ fps xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just saw this posted somewhere...

Yes, of course all blurays are 2000+ fps xD 

Just...what? The human eye is not a camera; it doesn't perceive frames. People need to stop relating it to one. The blu-ray headaches are most likely caused by the blue light radiated from a screen (just like any other kind of display).

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

No, 120fps is just faster, anything over 2000fps will cause headaches since that is the speed the human eye can perceive motion. (Thats why people get headaches from bluray). 

there are so many things wrong with that on so many levels.

"Rylo Ken"

16 minutes ago, MDPS said:

The blu-ray headaches are most likely caused by the blue light radiated from a screen (just like any other kind of display).

It's actually motion sickness, fast paced action with short takes will tend to give motion sickness (the basics of motion sickness is your brain being tricked into thinking you've been poisoned when it's receiving conflicting inputs, weird right?)

On 1/16/2013 at 8:12 AM, nillas12 said:

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech.

Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them.

I'll go first:

So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago.

My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

So heres my story,One day i was going to buy my first pc (it was pre built) and i wanted a $600 my mom said that it was pointless and that the pc is just a box that runs on magic and that i should buy $150 one since there is no difference only the looks,so i was saying mom thats not true and i originally bought a $350 PC and did well for home use and small gaming,but i came home with a simple $2 mouse and the scroll wheel was not working and my mom browsing the internet she was raging and was saying "WHY DOES THIS NOT WORK DID YOU BREAK IT?" then i said its $2 mice its already broken from the factory! and then i said to her "Listen if you cant handle the little wheel on the right side you will see a bar to go up and down and its a dark gray color just click it and move up and down" she said "Thats to complicated" so i went into my room saying "Just try and learn" and every fudging 2 seconds she would yell thru the room so i hear her say "Come here and help me click on this" i said "you do that do that" she was like "Got it" and then it just repeated into a circle until i bought a IBM mouse that did not need to just move up or down with your finger but you just press down or up and it moves at insane speeds.Thats my story

url.jpg

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

4 hours ago, The Realist said:

So heres my story,One day i was going to buy my first pc (it was pre built) and i wanted a $600 my mom said that it was pointless and that the pc is just a box that runs on magic and that i should buy $150 one since there is no difference only the looks,so i was saying mom thats not true and i originally bought a $350 PC and did well for home use and small gaming,but i came home with a simple $2 mouse and the scroll wheel was not working and my mom browsing the internet she was raging and was saying "WHY DOES THIS NOT WORK DID YOU BREAK IT?" then i said its $2 mice its already broken from the factory! and then i said to her "Listen if you cant handle the little wheel on the right side you will see a bar to go up and down and its a dark gray color just click it and move up and down" she said "Thats to complicated" so i went into my room saying "Just try and learn" and every fudging 2 seconds she would yell thru the room so i hear her say "Come here and help me click on this" i said "you do that do that" she was like "Got it" and then it just repeated into a circle until i bought a IBM mouse that did not need to just move up or down with your finger but you just press down or up and it moves at insane speeds.Thats my story

url.jpg

If it runs on magic, why didn't the cavemen have mice?

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Reading some of these, I guess I should count myself lucky - the people I've dealt with that didn't know much were at least very friendly and ready to learn.  They (usually) didn't act like they knew everything, or start fights, or complain about things like the above when that's not how it works, etc.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Reading some of these, I guess I should count myself lucky - the people I've dealt with that didn't know much were at least very friendly and ready to learn.  They (usually) didn't act like they knew everything, or start fights, or complain about things like the above when that's not how it works, etc.

Lol. Most people for me just don't care xD

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Same. It's like that for most people I meet, aside from a couple of my friends who are either and ASUS or Apple fanboy and won't accept much else (though the ASUS one is getting better)

Specs:

6 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Same. It's like that for most people I meet, aside from a couple of my friends who are either and ASUS or Apple fanboy and won't accept much else (though the ASUS one is getting better)

Just show them some ASUS software, and the new magic mouse respectively.  That'll clear that right up! :P 

Spoiler

magic_mouse_2_charging.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just show them some ASUS software, and the new magic mouse respectively.  That'll clear that right up! :P 

Reveal hidden contents

I also had a moment when i wanted a new pc and i was just going like "Mom my new pc is going to be a Pentium 3 with a core speed of 1000MHz , 2x 3dfx Voodoos 5's with 64mb of VRAM and 512mb of random access memory" and she was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? im not buying you that,thats to expensive your gonna get that when you grow up" i busted out laughing and i almost* hit my head somewhere i dont remember where :DxD

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hide contents

Highly doubt it. And when I tell the apple friend that he probably shouldn't desire an iPhone 5/c/s/whatever because it's old, he starts bashing on my for "hating everything"

:(

Specs:

2 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I also had a moment when i wanted a new pc and i was just going like "Mom my new pc is going to be a Pentium 3 with a core speed of 1000MHz , 2x 3dfx Voodoos 5's with 64mb of VRAM and 512mb of random access memory" and she was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? im not buying you that,thats to expensive your gonna get that when you grow up" i busted out laughing and i always hit my head somewhere i dont remember where :DxD

Lots of words = lots of price

Specs: