Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Creative mode had been around for a long time..... I don't know what you mean by food bar xD 

I think this was around the end of 2015 that I last played btw.

OK then it was probably full 1.8, not "beta 1.8", which was a completely different version and in no way a beta of full 1.8. xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

mfw people post "I've been working on a new build and I want feedback before I buy anything" and the first line is "CPU: FX ...."

Yeah AMD's CPUs are quite far behind Intel right now. Hopefully Zen will close that gap.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

OK then it was probably full 1.8, not "beta 1.8", which was a completely different version and in no way a beta of full 1.8. xD 

I've been playing since wayyyyy back in beta in 2010/11. I haven't played consistently for maybe 2 or 3 years though.

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

bang_head_here_stress_reduction_kit_mous

I need me a mouse pad like this. For those extra frustrating days

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

1 hour ago, brune67 said:

I need me a mouse pad like this. For those extra frustrating days

You can order mousepads with any photo you send them from Ebay!

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yeah, not sure who came up with that naming convention (either Notch or Mojang) but I remember seeing that and think that looked amateurish ... the software company I used to work before had a very simple and logical name convention : A.BBB.CCC.

A = version number that would only change when there was a major feature AND UI change

BBB = version number that would change with major bug fixes and new features

CCC = build change related only to non-major bug fix.

Also having a name convention that goes "1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11" makes it complicated when ordering by name, I find it highly confusing and counter intuitive.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

yeah, not sure who came up with that naming convention (either Notch or Mojang) but I remember seeing that and think that looked amateurish ... the software company I used to work before had a very simple and logical name convention : A.BBB.CCC.

A = version number that would only change when there was a major feature AND UI change

BBB = version number that would change with major bug fixes and new features

CCC = build change related only to non-major bug fix.

Also having a name convention that goes "1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11" makes it complicated when ordering by name, I find it highly confusing and counter intuitive.

Perhaps it would be more clear to people if they wen 1.009, 1.010, 1.011, etc.  So many people seem to think that the entire version is one number, and that it should just count up, but your example is perfect - each piece is actually a number on its own, but together, it's really just a code.  It has no numerical value, and that's why 1.1 =/= 1.10 :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Perhaps it would be more clear to people if they wen 1.009, 1.010, 1.011, etc.  So many people seem to think that the entire version is one number, and that it should just count up, but your example is perfect - each piece is actually a number on its own, but together, it's really just a code.  It has no numerical value, and that's why 1.1 =/= 1.10 :)

It's also very annoying when you have to look through thousands of files on a server and they decided to use the "Minecraft" way, you end up with a list of file that is very hard to sift through;

etc...

It's very annoying when you have to "eyeball" it with the date and then go through the mixed version numbers (happened to me a few times when they would buy code from a third party).

23 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

It's also very annoying when you have to look through thousands of files on a server and they decided to use the "Minecraft" way, you end up with a list of file that is very hard to sift through;

etc...

It's very annoying when you have to "eyeball" it with the date and then go through the mixed version numbers (happened to me a few times when they would buy code from a third party).

Reading that can be annoying, but I was just impressed they finally figured out that this is how version numbers actually work.  I half expected them to go from 1.9 to 2.0 for no particular reason, just because it was "the next number" xD 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Reading that can be annoying, but I was just impressed they finally figured out that this is how version numbers actually work.  I half expected them to go from 1.9 to 2.0 for no particular reason, just because it was "the next number" xD 

yeah exactly that's what I meant by it being confusing. Also our naming convention included rules for beta and alpha versions;

Alpha was something like 0.0BB.CCC and Beta was 0.1BB.CCC (so anything 0.0** we knew was alpha and anything above 0.1** was beta, it was visually clear and you couldn't get it wrong!)

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

yeah exactly that's what I meant by it being confusing. Also our naming convention included rules for beta and alpha versions;

Alpha was something like 0.0BB.CCC and Beta was 0.1BB.CCC (so anything 0.0** we knew was alpha and anything above 0.1** was beta, it was visually clear and you couldn't get it wrong!)

Which is how it should be.  Then there's how Mojang does it... (or did at least) :P 

Don't die thread!

Anyways, I just remembered how when I was young, I thought blu-Ray meant that all the pictures on the dvd were blue colored lol. I think it was because Avatar characters were bluish and I heard avatar was on blue ray, so I assumed blue ray meant that the pictures were blue colored

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Don't die thread!

Anyways, I just remembered how when I was young, I thought blu-Ray meant that all the pictures on the dvd were blue colored lol. I think it was because Avatar characters were bluish and I heard avatar was on blue ray, so I assumed blue ray meant that the pictures were blue colored

don't worry, this thread often becomes slow and off-topic but quicly comes back. What am-I saying, you already know that since you read the whole thing!!! lol xD

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

don't worry, this thread often becomes slow and off-topic but quicly comes back. What am-I saying, you already know that since you read the whole thing!!! lol xD

Well, I wasn't really looking at the dates while reading lol... I saw people comment a few times trying to keep the thread from dying, but that was it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Me too don't forget about me I'm the most important person on this forum. No idea why they named it after someone else.

Specs:

Somewhat off topic, but funny nonetheless...when I had my first computer (a Compaq Presario from 1998, with an 800Mhz processor, 256Mb of RAM, and a 40GB hard drive, wewt), my brother and I thought it would be so cool if we could store movies on floppy disks. So, we downloaded Men In Black (which took us about 3 weeks on our dial-up internet), and compressed it down to about 1MB. It literally had 4 pixels, and the audio was so horrible, it literally hurt your ears to listen to. HOWEVER....we succeeded. We put Men In Black on a single floppy disk.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

18 minutes ago, z123killer said:

My friend asked why Battlefield 4 doesn't run on my 5 year old laptop that has 2GB of ram and an old i3 :/

I can't begin to imagine.

Me: "You know, it's not a good idea to run modern games on a laptop if it wasn't built for gaming. You might end up overheating it or damaging it, and you won't have a computer after that".

Friend: "But I want to mod skyrim!!!"

*Two weeks later*

Friend: "Hey, what laptop should I buy? Mine just died".

This has happened at least five times in the last year, twice to one person. I tried, darnit.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

I broke my laptop a few years back, so i decided to cook my MB in the oven for a few minutes. My parents were like "wtf you doing you are going to break our oven and that piece shit of a laptop completely" Well...... it started working again :D.

I tried to teach my mother to use a laptop with windows last week, she normally uses a cheap lenovo with touchscreen and android. You can guess how it went. First, where in the hell is the power button? Do I need somekind of a password? (I direct her to the guest user) Why is this piece of shit so slow???? The laptop has an i5 iirc:P but ive never used the guest account on the laptop before. Wich one do I press? there are two icons of chrome, on the task bar and desktop. I said it didnt matter. *presses the desktop icon once* Why doesnt it work? I said you need to press it twice. *presses the taskbar icon twice* chrome opens twice. Then she wants to go to facebook, so she starts writing f a c then I interrupt and say that she isnt writing anywhere. *clicks search bar* *writes facebook* and presses enter after searching the button for a minute :D. where in the hell am I? why am I not in facebook?? she had searched facebook from google and she was in the search results :D then I said that you just googled facebook. and showed her what to click. Well she started touching the screen. Its not a touchscreen...... oops. When she finally got to facebook, she complained about scrolling down, i said put the real mouse in (she was using the touchpad), she refused. Then she said that its too complicated and asked how to shut the pc down...... thats a story for another day :P I think i should consider myself lucky, she tried :D.

TL:DR I tried to teach my mother to use a real computer instead of her awful android lenovo. It didnt go well.24880415.jpg

step one - talk to her

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

On 23/06/2016 at 3:57 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Even if they license the ability to run CUDA to AMD, I don't think it would be right to call them "CUDA Cores" - that's still an nvidia marketing term afaik, and the architecture is different anyway.  That's why we don't directly compare stream processors with cuda cores.

AMD licenced a cross-compiler for CUDA IIRC. They aren't implementing CUDA on GPUs.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Everybody please give me some space because here comes the winner of non-techie stuff.

Some background: We are talking about a 18y/o i sadly have to know who thinks he is the Hacker-Techie-Overlord-God-360-NoScope-Slayer but actually has no idea what he is saying.

And i don't even know where to start because this last week was just pure facedesk.

First off we were talking about some hardware because he wants to get a new Laptop and was looking at Lenovo Thinkpads for 3000€(which btw he can't afford) because it has such a stronk M5000M graphics card that is comparable to the "GTX970 Titan". Why does he need a Quadro? Well because he is doing the fucking most basic 3D modelling there is with google sketchup. (Does Sketchup even utilize GPU acceleration?)

So whatever, i asked him about his current Laptop which half a year ago when we talked about that was actually a badass high end PC but i dunno what happened with that. 
Apparently his Laptop has a "nvidia cuga graphics card" and i'm just like "Yeah you mean Cuda but that's not a graphics card" - "Yes it is, search it up, that is what it says on my Laptop!". Some arguing after that until i gave up.

But he also said the laptop is quite shitty so he games on his PS4. I simulated to vomit all over the place when he said that and stated that graphics are shit on PS4 which he counters with a "I upgraded the graphics card in it!", which actually is a fucking APU so how the fuck do you upgrade that? Right, you don't. But he did, says everythink looks much better now. But because he is such a Tech-Overlord he couldn't tell me how and with what he upgraded it.

Next step internet connection. He is on amazon searching for a Lan adapter over electricity network, some power lan thing that i actually have aswell and it works pretty good. However his reason to get one is "My Laptop only uses Wifi right now and i have a 50.000 connection but the wifi is so shitty i only get 6MB/s."
I'm like, yeah you are getting 6MB/s because that is what your connection is, the Power lan won't improve it. "Nono, my connection is way faster than that" - "You are getting 96% of the speed you are buying and that is pretty good". He somehow manage to get out of this but he still doesn't know the difference between Bit and Byte.

Now comes the hilarious Hacking part. Fasten your seatbelts guys.

He is using the "Hacknet, Darknet or whatever you wanna call it" and uses it with this algorithem he made to stalk girls facebook page and get their walking profile. With that he can then "Just stand there when the girl comes around". That's his way of meeting new people and girls. His last girlfriend actually "annoyed him" which after further investigation was that she cheated on him, lol.

And apparently he is hacking everything all day for his benefit. I can't remember what exactly all he hacked but actually nothing really because he is a dumb dipshit.

Next thing is that we have to go on a 2 Day trip together (and some other people) which includes ONE NIGHT in a hotel. For this night he wants to bring his uber Laptop, a Projector and a screen so he can watch a DVD alone in his fucking room. Like seriously?

Long story short, please end my life so i don't have to deal with this any more.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

15 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Long story short, please end my life so i don't have to deal with this any more.

everything can be arranged, if the price is right :P but srsly why would one take  a PROJECTOR TO A HOTEL ROOM TO WATCH DVDs ALONE???? whats the logic in that? Can his "super gaming laptop" even play dvds? :D maybe he should try to hook his projector up to his "upgraded ps4" and watch dvds with that lol.

step one - talk to her

53 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I simulated to vomit all over the place when he said that and stated that graphics are shit on PS4 which he counters with a "I upgraded the graphics card in it!", which actually is a fucking APU so how the fuck do you upgrade that? Right, you don't. But he did, says everythink looks much better now. But because he is such a Tech-Overlord he couldn't tell me how and with what he upgraded it

I legitimately want to talk to this dude, and listen to some bullshit explanation as to how he "upgraded his PS4". xD I'm dying over here!!!

8 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

I legitimately want to talk to this dude, and listen to some bullshit explanation as to how he "upgraded his PS4". xD I'm dying over here!!!

I legitimately want a recording of him.

Specs: