Experiences with non-techies

On 6/11/2016 at 9:31 PM, themaniac said:

this is why i wonder how the hell the idiots of this world have not killed them selves off yet

On 6/11/2016 at 9:25 PM, ShadowTechXTS said:

My brother came up to me with a USB drive and said "where do I put your graphics card?"

My sister once came up to me when I was putting my pc back together from a case transfer, pointed at the GPU and asked "is that the screenaninator?"

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

55 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

it is not bad, but why did they put the GT 730 when it is equal to a Skylake iGPU

So they can say "Powerful dedicated NVIDIA graphics card" xD It's all marketing...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So they can say "Powerful dedicated NVIDIA graphics card" xD It's all marketing...

"Powerful"

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

10 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

"Powerful"

Dear god, you're never satisfied, are you? :P

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

Dear god, you're never satisfied, are you? :P

indeed not until i have my rx 480 CF

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

47 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

"Powerful"

Yeah.  You know they would.  Any they would get away with it too, since that doesn't inherently imply any particular level of performance.  It's subjective, and relative :)  It is god damn powerful compared to the computers used in the 1950s xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, brune67 said:

My sister once came up to me when I was putting my pc back together from a case transfer, pointed at the GPU and asked "is that the screenaninator?"

The screenaninator :P 

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

The screenaninator :P 

Yes..... hence my signature.....

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

On 6/16/2016 at 0:46 PM, CandleJakk said:

"The next Xbox will play games in 4k 60FPS."

- my friends

*sigh*

If you build an SFF computer inside of an Xbox case, does that count?

On 6/16/2016 at 2:02 PM, Sauron said:

is it?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($47.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 370 4GB Vapor-X Video Card  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax EW-7811UTC USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($13.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Gigabyte USB3.1 ($15.00)
Total: $613.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-16 17:03 EDT-0400

It's obviously much cheaper if you already have a windows copy or are fine with linux.

See below quote

23 hours ago, daniellearmouth said:

Bear in mind, you've got a heavily discounted case there. Had that not been on discount your thing would be closer to $650. Yes, it's still under the $700 mark, but you're not really saving all that much.

Having to buy a USB 3.1 add-in card feels like cheating to me, and considering that only has one of either Type-C and Type-A, it doesn't quite cut it, given the Best Buy machine had two Type-A USB 3.1 inputs. Yes, Type-C can be a bonus, but it's not nearly ubiquitous enough for it to be worth it right now.

Looking around will net you a bargain, but as my point states, pre-built computers have a place. Pre-builts are not necessarily always more expensive than they should be, and all things considered, the one that Linus showcased is good value for money, all things considered.

Basically, the people complaining about pre-builts existing can shush. If you want to build a computer rather than buy one ready built, go ahead - you do you. That's what I do. But if you want to go pre-built, that's fine too. Shop around; you're sure to find a bargain somewhere.

If you do Paul's method and buy a Win 10 key for 20 bucks, couldn't you just use that 65 bucks and get a better case?

6 hours ago, RahulR said:

I just got back from Costco and saw a $1299.99 HP mini-tower that according to the tag had:

Core i7 6700T

16GBs DDR3 RAM

and a damn GT 730.

It claimed to be a "Workstation PC"

Do workstation PCs require a high end GPU? If not, the i7 will be powerful enough

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean, it is more powerful than an HD 3000 or the like...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

2 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

If you build an SFF computer inside of an Xbox case, does that count?

See below quote

If you do Paul's method and buy a Win 10 key for 20 bucks, couldn't you just use that 65 bucks and get a better case?

Do workstation PCs require a high end GPU? If not, the i7 will be powerful enough

I mean, it is more powerful than an HD 3000 or the like...

Likely not better than HD530 or whatever's in the 6700T tho

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

9 hours ago, brune67 said:

1) How old was she when she said that?

1a) How long ago was that?

2) A screeninator for a GPU? Out of all of the things I've heard misidentified for a GPU, that one takes the cake.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

2 hours ago, BlazingGunnerFTW said:

2) A screeninator for a GPU? Out of all of the things I've heard misidentified for a GPU, that one takes the cake.

The most recent one I've heard is that someone pointed at the CPU heatsink and asked if it was the graphics card.

Close enough, and I get the thinking. Big heatsink cools things that get hot. GPU's often get hot.

20 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

The most recent one I've heard is that someone pointed at the CPU heatsink and asked if it was the graphics card.

Close enough, and I get the thinking. Big heatsink cools things that get hot. GPU's often get hot.

Following that logic women should be covered in copper fins from head to toe :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 hours ago, BlazingGunnerFTW said:

Honestly, the fact that she "knew" what a GPU was is the thing that actually probably makes her smarter than most people. I mean, I only know like 3 people aside from myself who would be able to identify something as a graphics card.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

12 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

That was...far from my point, frankly.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

On 1/16/2013 at 2:35 PM, ErwinS said:

Customer walks into the IT shop I worked at. She looks around (Computers and gadgets everywhere) . She walks to the counter and asks me if we sell clothes.

conv_1695.jpg

was it an apple store? lol?

Dont put your phone on top of your pc, It will stop working.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

15 minutes ago, TheCube said:

was it an apple store? lol?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

8 hours ago, BlazingGunnerFTW said:

Dude how else would you say it? SPREAD THE REVOLUTION! (see sig for context)

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

Dont put your phone on top of your pc, It will stop working.

How does that work?

I put stuff on top of my PC all the time.

Heck, I used my previous case as screw tray because it had some sort of tray on top.

11 hours ago, BlazingGunnerFTW said:

10.  that was a few months ago. Once again, that inspired my signature... take a look at it.

"Rylo Ken"

7 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Honestly, the fact that she "knew" what a GPU was is the thing that actually probably makes her smarter than most people. I mean, I only know like 3 people aside from myself who would be able to identify something as a graphics card.

Well we all know how most people identify PC components xD 

http://imgur.com/gallery/m5JCP

On March 9, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Bsmith said:

I just did, I left at the "What is a modem" piece.... I know enough, I'm disappointed how big the difference of a 3y age gap is.

#1 I apologize for quoting something that is 3 months old.

#2 I am ashamed to admit that I had no idea what a modem did until just now when I searched it lol.... I knew it had to do with connecting to the Internet but I had no idea other than that. I know next to nothing about networking so maybe that's part of the reason :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 hours ago, deWaardt said:

How does that work?

I put stuff on top of my PC all the time.

Heck, I used my previous case as screw tray because it had some sort of tray on top.

IKR

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------