Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

But why was it allowed to upgrade in the first place?

because their IT department suck?

Seriously, there's simple ways to prevent this if the PCs are setup correctly.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

My friend and I were browsing for pc cases on msy (australia) at school, because language isn't really a good class, and my friend was building a PC. There were two girls sitting behind us, and completely randomly asked, 'Is that a toaster?' We rofl'd so hard, and told them those are pc cases. Mind you, they were the kind of apple fangirls everyone hates. Their reply was, 'Why would you bring your computer to school in a box like that?' And more rofls occured. We said 'It's for a desktop, he's building his own pc' and at this point they were like 'You can build your own computer? Really?' And at this point we just sighed. These are the kind of people who only know macbooks and imacs, and probably didn't even know what a desktop was. 

Another friend of mine, a guy who isn't as stupid as most, sometimes still amazes me with his stupidity. He downloaded a movie off pirate bay, and upon opening it, was told that he required a different video codec. He installed the one recommended by the file (big mistake). Then after that, he gives the setup file administrator permissions to change stuff on his pc. He now has a virus on it. Now he went to reset windows (hey he knows what to do at least), but the virus still remained and it got stuck in a boot loop. We told him to reinstall Windows from scratch, but he replied, 'I can't mount windows on my ram' (4gb laptop). At this point we were officially done with him and told him to just send it back. 

8 hours ago, FortressTripleOne said:

My friend and I were browsing for pc cases on msy (australia) at school, because language isn't really a good class, and my friend was building a PC. There were two girls sitting behind us, and completely randomly asked, 'Is that a toaster?' We rofl'd so hard, and told them those are pc cases. Mind you, they were the kind of apple fangirls everyone hates. Their reply was, 'Why would you bring your computer to school in a box like that?' And more rofls occured. We said 'It's for a desktop, he's building his own pc' and at this point they were like 'You can build your own computer? Really?' And at this point we just sighed. These are the kind of people who only know macbooks and imacs, and probably didn't even know what a desktop was. 

Another friend of mine, a guy who isn't as stupid as most, sometimes still amazes me with his stupidity. He downloaded a movie off pirate bay, and upon opening it, was told that he required a different video codec. He installed the one recommended by the file (big mistake). Then after that, he gives the setup file administrator permissions to change stuff on his pc. He now has a virus on it. Now he went to reset windows (hey he knows what to do at least), but the virus still remained and it got stuck in a boot loop. We told him to reinstall Windows from scratch, but he replied, 'I can't mount windows on my ram' (4gb laptop). At this point we were officially done with him and told him to just send it back. 

grats on first post

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

WTF? How can someone ask $225 for a 7950?!?!

/rant

*goes back hunting for cheap GPU

EDIT:

fuck, that was quick! I found worst ... $320

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-components/ville-de-montreal/msi-r7970-tf-3gd5-oc-be-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-twin-frozr-over-clock/1171139942?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

WTF? How can someone ask $225 for a 7950?!?!

/rant

*goes back hunting for cheap GPU

RLiWczu.jpg

Not that hard to find a decently cheap one, surely. :^)

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

13 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

RLiWczu.jpg

I saw one at Micro Center for $3 iirc. It was an old ATi card.

Specs:

I have an old 7600 GT around here somewhere... I should totally sell it for $300 xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

41 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

RLiWczu.jpg

I saw an old ATi card for $3 (iirc) at micro center.

Specs:

Apparently newegg doesn't know what "CUDA cores" are xD 

5 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

/s

But seriously it does "confirm" a few of the specs, which does put it ever so slightly ahead of the 390x

Source(now dead): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129322&cm_re=radeon_rx_480-_-14-129-322-_-Product

Screen shot for those who missed it: xDUhyy5.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Apparently newegg doesn't know what "CUDA cores" are xD 

Lol yeah I saw that. And they called the card "POLARIS EDITION." I mean what is that supposed to mean?!? There isn't a 480 that isn't Polaris (well technically there's the GTX 480 but that's like so many years old and it's not from AMD)?!?!?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Lol yeah I saw that. And they called the card "POLARIS EDITION." I mean what is that supposed to mean?!? There isn't a 480 that isn't Polaris (well technically there's the GTX 480 but that's like so many years old and it's not from AMD)?!?!?!?

Well knowing newegg I'm surprised they didn't think it was Pascal xD 

But apparently that "polaris edition" is actually photoshopped on, making fun of the cuda core thing, which was real.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well knowing newegg I'm surprised they didn't think it was Pascal xD 

But apparently that "polaris edition" is actually photoshopped on, making fun of the cuda core thing, which was real.

It's actually not photoshopped.... Just checked Google cache:http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16814129322%26cm_re%3Dradeon_rx_480-_-14-129-322-_-Product&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS590US590&oq=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16814129322%26cm_re%3Dradeon_rx_480-_-14-129-322-_-Product&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.3789j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

18 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Hold on, didn't Nvidia recently license CUDA tech to AMD? This could be the first result of that so I don't think Newegg had to have been wrong when they said it has CUDA cores. Although the other stuff may have been dumb.

Edit: And yes it's been a while since I've visited this thread. Also I may be wrong so don't quote me on this.

2 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

Hold on, didn't Nvidia recently license CUDA tech to AMD? This could be the first result of that so I don't think Newegg had to have been wrong when they said it has CUDA cores. Although the other stuff may have been dumb.

Look at the page right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129322

Scroll down and it's still listed in the description! xD 

Capture.PNG

And look what happens if you click it! :D

Capture2.PNG

They even admit it's nvidia only, and they still mess it up xD 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Look at the page right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129322

Scroll down and it's still listed in the description! xD 

Capture.PNG

And look what happens if you click it! :D

Capture2.PNG

They even admit it's nvidia only, and they still mess it up xD 

Thanks for the info @Ryan_Vickers. I though they license it. I wonder how this will affect performance. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thanks for the info @Ryan_Vickers. I though they license it. I wonder how this will affect performance. 

8 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

Edit: And yes it's been a while since I've visited this thread. Also I may be wrong so don't quote me on this.

Even if they license the ability to run CUDA to AMD, I don't think it would be right to call them "CUDA Cores" - that's still an nvidia marketing term afaik, and the architecture is different anyway.  That's why we don't directly compare stream processors with cuda cores.

I guess this would be sort of an anti-experience, but I noticed the recent version of Minecraft that came after 1.9 seems to be 1.10.  I'm surprised they figured out how these work finally, given the history they've had with version numbers xD 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I guess this would be sort of an anti-experience, but I noticed the recent version of Minecraft that came after 1.9 seems to be 1.10.  I'm surprised they figured out how these work finally, given the history they've had with version numbers xD 

They're already at 1.10? Wow. Last I played it was at 1.8, and the last I actually spent time every day playing it was maybe 1.6....

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

They're already at 1.10? Wow. Last I played it was at 1.8, and the last I actually spent time every day playing it was maybe 1.6....

which 1.8? xDxDxD  (oh god I hate whichever idiot came up with their numbers...)

which 1.8? xDxDxD  (oh god I hate whichever idiot came up with their numbers...)

I don't even remember lol

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I don't even remember lol

OK... um, was creative mode and the food bar like a brand new thing?

OK... um, was creative mode and the food bar like a brand new thing?

Creative mode had been around for a long time..... I don't know what you mean by food bar xD 

I think this was around the end of 2015 that I last played btw.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

mfw people post "I've been working on a new build and I want feedback before I buy anything" and the first line is "CPU: FX ...."

56340359.jpg