Samsung Sends Out 'Find My Mobile' Push Notification to Galaxy Phones

Syaoran

1726238785_samsung1v2.png.94b3174a7cc6434789b5079486808105.png

In what appears to be a curious accident, Galaxy phone users worldwide have received a mysterious notification from Samsung’s Find My Mobile app. The alert, which several users reported, simply reads “1” with another “1” below it.

Samsung’s Find My Mobile service allows owners of Samsung devices to remotely locate or lock their smartphone or tablet, back up data stored on the devices to Samsung Cloud, delete local data, and block access to Samsung Pay. It’s no wonder some Galaxy owners freaked out.

Samsung isn’t the first company to send out bizarre notifications to a wide audience. Last year OnePlus accidentally blasted its users with garbled text and Chinese characters in what turned out to be a failed internal test for a software update.

In addition to Samsung's latest devices such as the Galaxy Z Flip and the Galaxy Note 10 series, several users with Galaxy S, Galaxy A, and Galaxy J series phones have received the same push notification. Weirdly, users who haven't registered for Samsung's "Find My Mobile" service on their phone also claim to have gotten the push notification.

About three hours after the errant messages were sent, Samsung’s official UK support channel on Twitter addressed the issue. It called the Find My Mobile message a mistake “sent unintentionally during an internal test.” Samsung says it won't have any effect on the devices that received it.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/20/21145130/samsung-find-my-mobile-app-1-notification-galaxy

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-accidentally-sends-out-find-my-mobile-push-notification-galaxy-phones-worldwide

I got the same notification on my Galaxy S9

I just wonder what else can Samsung "unintentionally" send us?

What does the '1' even mean, does it mean who ever got this is the one?

Kinda reminds me of that one time in Hawaii(?) When they had a missile warning .

But I wonder if they have gotten people's consent for this app. And I don't mean consent through a 'click to accept the licenses' thing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

But I wonder if they have gotten people's consent for this app. And I don't mean consent through a 'click to accept the licenses' thing.

users who haven't registered for Samsung's "Find My Mobile" service on their phone also claim to have gotten the push notification.

The app is preinstalled in Samsung phones, and I have a Samsung account but I don't think I agreed nor registered to use Find My Mobile

5 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

image.jpeg.f26542d49e779baa4658d9bb30d14e67.jpeg

?

1 minute ago, Syaoran said:

?

cant lie its possible

✨FNIGE✨

I got this last night.... Wonder why they were trying to "Find MY Phone".

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

so this is why I had this when I woke up this morning.. interesting. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

46 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

The same things that any other OS you didn't compile yourself can send you: anything they want.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Huh, so that's what that notification was... Was wondering what the hell it was when I saw it this morning on my phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Samsung is into Age of Empires 2.

11 is codename for laughs.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Syaoran said:

The app is preinstalled in Samsung phones, and I have a Samsung account but I don't think I agreed nor registered to use Find My Mobile

I was surprised to see the notification on my rooted S7 Edge with a custom ROM. 

Never enabled Find My Mobile so wondering how they done it.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

27 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Samsung is into Age of Empires 2.

11 is codename for laughs.

My man I thought the same thing xD

lol I don't see why this even deserves a news topic. I got it. Shrugged my shoulders and carried on with life.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I was surprised to see the notification on my rooted S7 Edge with a custom ROM. 

Never enabled Find My Mobile so wondering how they done it.

Hard coded phone tracking /nod (Well they really need to track all your movements whether you want them to or not in order to sell the data!)

T&C Update - 'After seeing the push notification by continuing to use this device you wholly consent to the soul of your first born to be signed over to Samsung for perpetuity'

13 hours ago, Syaoran said:

1726238785_samsung1v2.png.94b3174a7cc6434789b5079486808105.png

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/20/21145130/samsung-find-my-mobile-app-1-notification-galaxy

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-accidentally-sends-out-find-my-mobile-push-notification-galaxy-phones-worldwide

I got the same notification on my Galaxy S9

I got this too! :(

I assumed it was a Samsung update/bug, due to how it showed in the phone. (I only use Google find my phone, not Samsungs service).

"1" is what an intern types into a box when the computer says "please enter data/cannot be left blank" on a test software/app... except in this case it possibly was the live software they booted in error.

About 6 years ago, the provider for the UK phone lines, who provides the backbone for my ISP (most ISPs have to route through the UKs semi privatised backbone anyhow) made a similar mistake. Thankfully, my ISPs CEO was both vocal, and open in telling the customers what happened!

The BT engineers were training a new staff member... sat them down at the computer, and told them to load up the training software and have a go at it. A few moments later, my ISP lost everything on their network. It was gone. "Dead Jim." And my ISPs CEO , on a Sunday, was phoning around BT bods/engineers/networking backhauls trying to get answers. The answer was "what do you mean, that's impossible, you definitely are up and running"...

Thankfully, the CEO did not back down, so after about 3 hours, the BT engineers/backhual staff did look at the routing tables/ISP provisions, and found... my ISP had been deleted off their network entirely. :D

A week later we got a little further explanation, as it was "impossible" to do so following procedure at BT... but the trainee had not followed procedure, they'd booted up the live management software in error, and added/deleted real entries, not fictional simulated ones!!!

i got double 1's

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I got that "test" notification as well. 

I wish Samsung would unintentionally send us an offer for a free phone upgrade. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

12 minutes ago, mcbaes72 said:

I got that "test" notification as well. 

I wish Samsung would unintentionally send us an offer for a free phone upgrade. 

Upgrade to a S20 Ultra for free.  Just pay shipping cost of $1399.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I got this the other day and never even thought anything of it on my S8. Just swiped it away haha.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Testing the tracking feature for provision to govts, but sent a message instead.  Oops!

On 2/20/2020 at 6:54 PM, Syaoran said:

I'd go more with this:

TheOnefilm.jpg

4 hours ago, ouroesa said:

Wonder why I got this on my Xiaomi?

Did you really?

That's interesting

I did

18 hours ago, Syaoran said:

Did you really?

That's interesting

I did. But I also use a Samsung for work and both are linked to the play store so that might explain it.