Anyone ever switch to prebuilts after building a couple pcs?

mamamia88

Not being a gamer really, and more of a tinkerer, my first modern (32 bit, connected) computer was 'custom built' by me, out of half used components. My family had prebuilt systems I used. After building one, I upgraded the RAM in the family PC, and built a new system for my mother from all new components, albeit very basic, because that's all she needed. I also picked up the hobby of scavenging old systems people were giving away and disposing of, so I got my hands into prebuilt and customs alike. As a result, I'm not afraid of prebuilts or custom building. This all started 20+ years ago though, and in that time desktops stopped being the standard for the computer most people use, especially at home. So, the last 4 computers I've bought for myself were prebuilt, and the last 2 of those laptops. For most people, the last computer they bought and use most is the phone in their pocket or hand.

All of that said, I'm itching to build a new system from components again. Been too long, and it is too fun.

Big-ups to people who build PCs as a hobby, but as someone who switched to Macs I realize that it's not really for me.

It's not just that I prefer Apple's mix of hardware and software, it's that my priorities are different.  I know building a PC doesn't take that much time if you know what you're doing, but the thought of spending an afternoon assembling and setting up my computer isn't that appealing.  I also value what Apple brings to the table in terms of design and simplicity.  My iMac frees up a ton of space around my desk, hardly requires any cables, is fast to wake and easy to backup.  Yeah, the all-in-one design can be a pain if I need to get it serviced, but if that were really a big issue, I'd have a Mac mini on my desk instead.

As it stands, I think it'd be worthwhile to go to a knowledgeable PC shop and have them build a computer if you're going with a  Windows desktop.  It takes away some stress and puts the onus on them if there are any teething troubles you can't quickly fix yourself.

No way, I went from prebuilts to custom builds.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

21 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

Alright just finished my 4th or so pc build this morning. From start to finish things that annoyed me. Honestly I wouldn't mind paying someone like $50 to do it while I go take a hike and get a beer next time. 

1. Tiny ass m.2 screw big ass screwdriver. 

2. Wraith cooler install. (I thought that my board might have shipped with the backplate on backwards). 

3. why won't the stupid io shield get in the stupid hole? 

4. why the hell are the front panel connectors so hard to plug in? 

5. 5ghz somehow wasn't detected at first boot so juggled around adapters this morning

6. I cheaped out on the case and one usb port doesn't work maybe i can get a partial credit. 

My next build if i do one i will not cheap out on the case and get one with a psu shroud and the psu will be completely modular as well as using all m.2 drives to make it as easy as possible to cable manage. 

The only thing I don't enjoy from building PC's is the CPU cooler install. This is because installing the thermal paste always seems like a crapshoot, and if the cooler uses those crappy peg things like Intel CPU's, it will be a serious pain to remove. The nice heat sinks are the ones that use a retaining plate on the back of the MB so that there is an actual way to get the heatsink to sit flush. Unfortunately not very many cooler designs are like this. So if you have to rely on the intel stock cooler, and then have to remove it at any later point, you wear out the plastic and it doesn't tend to fit back on any more.

This is why I'd suggest aftermarket coolers, even if the CPU came with a stock one. It's typically easier to install the aftermarket cooler than the stock Intel cooler.

At the office, I remove m.2 drives using a jeweler screw driver.

The i/o shield is never difficult to install IMO, just stick it on the chassis first.

Basically the easiest way to do any kind of PC build is to build everything without the chassis first, make sure it works, then remove the cards and install the MB with all the chassis cables already on the board. Sure you might knock off something if you're not careful. 

22 hours ago, scuff gang said:

pre-builts

just spec out a pc, and get the local computer nerd to build you one

memoryexpress

microcenter

maybe even bestbuy builds pc's

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

>cheaper

>nuc

>powerful pc

kkkkkk

I don't mean like video editing powerful, powerful enough for my needs. Sorry didn't make that clear

3 hours ago, amdorintel said:

just spec out a pc, and get the local computer nerd to build you one

memoryexpress

microcenter

maybe even bestbuy builds pc's

yeah i not in the mood to pay someone to build my pc... i have a lil bit of trust issues when it comes to expensive computer parts and i kind of enjoy the building process 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

The more you build the easier it gets. never looking back at getting scammed by prebuilts. Oem motheroards are even better in bigger cases. You get room to actually use it. Sometimes the sata is put in a bad spot, but thats what right angle plugs are for. Worst case scenario 1 or 2 gets covered, but you should probably be using a raid card anyways.

I have no desire to buy prebuilt and I would be a novice. Built my first one solo back in January, took me about 4 hours cause I was reading manuals and what. Second computer took me like 8-9 hours because I did a full blown custom hardline build. Most recent was about 3 hours because I rebuilt my brothers and replaced some parts but had to undo a bunch of bad work to start with. Only one that went quick was the shop computer I built because it was just an apu system with m.2 storage. That was like an hour long build. Point is I enjoy the building part just as much as using the finished product, if I could make the same kinda money I currently do but build computers instead I would

33 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

yeah i not in the mood to pay someone to build my pc... i have a lil bit of trust issues when it comes to expensive computer parts and i kind of enjoy the building process 

some have more time then others in life

Only prebuilt I would ever buy is a laptop. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:31 PM, mamamia88 said:

You get my drift? 

No?

On 12/14/2019 at 11:31 PM, mamamia88 said:

Or you need to reapply thermal paste after finding out the ram won't fit properly

But this,  amongst some other things,  tells me you just don't plan out your builds for some reason - I don't even know why you would need to remove the heatsink because of wrongly installed RAM or how you even do that - I mean the RAM only goes in one way lol *scarry*  I get it not being seated probably, but  yeah... 

And I do agree about the front panel connectors tho!  What a pain those are and so impractical too lol. 

It took me like 7 attempts to get my hdd led blinking... and for some reason it already stopped blinking again haha ? 

OT: seeing how many prebuilders use the cheapest cables and cheap, weak PSUs most of the time,  nah,  rather do it myself - also it's kinda fun if you did it a few times -  the first time was mostly just stressful and took forever... But it booted,  so!  ?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Nah. It takes so little time to build a computer from parts, no real reason to go with a pre-built desktop Windows machine. Apple and laptop computers are a different story. Now, I've gotten a few free pre-built systems that only needed one part, so in that instance I'm all for it.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

funny i think i have a thing for pre builds there just something about not noing anything about it. were to get drivers, what ram or cpus work in it. what heat sinks working in it can it take an stander atx psu, how to get in the the bios and the smell....but ill never use em i just like to take em part and have a challenge on making it better....

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

older gen oem's can be dirt cheap, like the 4th gen intel oem's like the HP's, Dell's, Acer's they are so cheap that the vast majority of normal people only need a $200 4th gen intel oem pc, but they will over buy what they really need.

There is a local gaming computer store near me who have some very tempting discounts every now and then. The only reason I hesitate is because they use 2nd grade parts: Generic Ram, ugly AF cases, zotac and equivalent GPU's, sub optimal CPU coolers. The specs itself are pretty good for they money. And they now what they are doing. They just try and be cheap about every little thing. 

Nope,  although there have been three prebuilts I've seen first hand that are definitely worth the price for their intended use*, I love customizing and building too much.

*Much to everyone's disgust, the $400 HP entry level desktop for office work, email and school is unbeatable value.  The Aldi with teh 2070 for $2000 is so cheap for the parts in it it's worth getting if you haven't built before or don't want to. And a Synex machine I bought from harvey norman 20 odd years ago for $700.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I won't say switched because I love building computers but I have definitely used nzxt's service. Sure it is 100-200$ more expensive but when a pc is required for someone who is not that much familiar with tech or even when you just don't want the hassle to individually rma a product if the need be, a pre built is definitely a good choice. 

Yes, I did. I built my first gaming PC in 2012 but I bought a prebuilt one this year. Well kind of pre built, I added the GPU myself. The reason for switching was simply price, I got the pre built for just about 30€ more than if I bought all the parts individually and with the pre built I don't had to go through the hassle of actually building it and I get three years of warrentee.

I guess, like others have said: only laptops. I enjoy the struggle of some stuff to be honest. Figuring out how to do stuff better is a good way to look at it. Thats how i keep my motivation. I mean; i used to do the front IO cables last. But since i've started doing it as soon as i put the motherboard in its just a lot easier. Etc etc. 

I feel the same way OP.  I must have to have built about 10 PC for myself so far and a few additional for my friends and family as well but I don't really enjoy it.  Each build easily take 4-6 hours of my time and there is always, always something that doesn't want to fit right or work right in each and every build.  I actually kind of dread building them any more.  

However, true pre-builts generally are trash, using the cheapest components available and are build by people who don't tend to really care about what they are building.  Custom jobs are a bit better but there are still issues.  Cyberpower PC seems to be about the best mainstream custom builder but only if you do your research to make sure your selecting the best parts.  However, they have very deceptive pricing like advertising $200 off an Intel 2TB NVME SSD and claiming $200 is the sale price when in fact you could go to Newegg or Amazon and by the same drive retail for $200.  $200 off on the drive should have meant the drive was free, not $200.  They also do always have the parts you would want to chose and sometimes your left with picking an option that you would not choose normally.

They also have very poor customer service.  I had ordered one from them and my estimated ship day came and went without a word.  I called them to find out why my system hadn't shipped and they told me one of the parts I selected was on backorder and it would be a month longer before it was available again.  I had not received one word from them that this sort of issue was happening.  I decided to cancel and was told it was cancelled.  A week goes by and no refund to my CC so I called again and was told that the order never was cancelled.  I ask them to cancel again and they said they took care of it.  A week goes by and still no refund.  I finally reach out to them and threaten to dispute the charges and file a BBB complaint and finally, finally, they cancel the order and give me a refund.  

Finally even when they do custom build, I have read that they don't do things like update the bios and such.  Instead like any other mass produced product, they just take the parts out of the box and install what ever comes in the box, no more no less.

So like you, I would love to be able to have someone else build my PC, update everything to the latest bios and drivers and test it thoroughly before shipping it to me and would be OK paying someone like $100 buck to do this but unless it is some local shop you trust, I don't see there as being a good place to buy a pre or custom built PC.  Your almost always going to get better parts at a significantly cheaper price by suffering through building it yourself.

I think the only way i would switch from a custom machine to a prebuilt was if someone gave me like a Dell EMC Poweredge tower server, i have a thing for these.

Just add some some HDDs, SSDs, a graphics card and Bob's your uncle!

server-tower-full.thumb.png.9a25bcd12f9d1c287c34a6b37e3482c5.png

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 12/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, Mark Kaine said:

No?

But this,  amongst some other things,  tells me you just don't plan out your builds for some reason - I don't even know why you would need to remove the heatsink because of wrongly installed RAM or how you even do that - I mean the RAM only goes in one way lol *scarry*  I get it not being seated probably, but  yeah... 

And I do agree about the front panel connectors tho!  What a pain those are and so impractical too lol. 

It took me like 7 attempts to get my hdd led blinking... and for some reason it already stopped blinking again haha ? 

OT: seeing how many prebuilders use the cheapest cables and cheap, weak PSUs most of the time,  nah,  rather do it myself - also it's kinda fun if you did it a few times -  the first time was mostly just stressful and took forever... But it booted,  so!  ?

I installed some large ram sticks in the system with a stealth cooler. There is a tiny piece of plastic by the amd logo of the wraith that interferes with the ram. I wanted the amd logo right side up but I thought I was going to have to get another ram kit if I wanted 2 sticks. Yep that piece of plastic with and logo blocked the ram

51BAZbC7CQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg