Anyone ever switch to prebuilts after building a couple pcs?

mamamia88

In the late 1990's and early 2000's I built all my PC's.  Starting by taking a pre built I had and switching out the motherboard... all the way to buying a barebones PC, installing a processor ram and storage... putting linux or windows on it.   Then I decided I didn't want to lug a CRT monitor around when I moved and useful laptops became actually affordable.  It has been a LONG time since I had a desktop.  I've had "desktop replacement" laptops.   15" or more laptops that aren't really actually truly portable by (current year) standards.  

After a certain point all I wanted in hardware was a system that I could put Linux on and all the components would work.  These days any not super cheap computer will dot that. ?‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, mamamia88 said:

I installed some large ram sticks in the system with a stealth cooler. There is a tiny piece of plastic by the amd logo of the wraith that interferes with the ram. I wanted the amd logo right side up but I thought I was going to have to get another ram kit if I wanted 2 sticks. Yep that piece of plastic with and logo blocked the ram

51BAZbC7CQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Yeah I know what you did. 

I'm just saying with a little bit of planning you would have been able to mount the cooler so it doesn't block the RAM.  :)

Spoiler

IMG_20191122_202605.thumb.jpg.a53728fc5ddb5d589c971273f37637a2.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/15/2019 at 1:51 AM, mamamia88 said:

You should see how the box for my motherboard from Amazon looked. Didn't even put it in a box. Just slapped a label directly on box and shipped it

The same happened to me, it was my first build and I was really worried it might have been damaged, I finished building my PC yesterday and it works fine, luckily.