Backing Up Your Life is THIS Easy

JonoT

If only I could restore back to an earlier point in life ?‍♀️

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14TB Pros ?

image.png.e5d817cd219f9fa072aea4a4df6cc96b.png

Interesting that they're really only 12.73TB.  Round up to the nearest even whole number I suppose. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I like to point out that jake has a older ifixit kit

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

14TB Pros ?

-snip-

Interesting that they're really only 12.73TB.  Round up to the nearest even whole number I suppose. 

Could be formatting? 1TB drives are 900something GB formatted, not exactly 1000. 2TB drives are 1700-1800GB formatted (or 1900GB? I just looked at my drives last night lmao, I should know this), not 2000GB. Not surprising if it's the same for larger drives. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Jake types in his user/pw on a external system to give linus access to his share - please do not, the other person could catch your credentials.

Create a seperate share & user for the person, who want to backup, also in the share config you can create quotas so your mate don't fill your nas full with his crap.

I upload by "external" Backup to work, where I have racked my own server (verry old system).

But at some friends, I've a Rasip with a usb hdd that openes a reverse SSH tunnel to me (it also could be a cheap vm) and mapps the ssh port there.

Hyper Backup is able to do packupo over ssh, just use "rsync" as backup type. May you have to edit the parth to get it working, in my case I mount the hdd to "/home/$USER/backup". Even on some Webdav services that dont run out of the box just type in "/home" then you can run your backup.

I read this notification as "fucking up your life is THIS easy"

Can you setup a gitlab server and WordPress cms on a synology NAS? 

Massive use case a front end freelance web developer. 

And what's it like developing straight off the NAS say for UE4 game dev. Another use case here. 

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

If only I could restore back to an earlier point in life ?‍♀️

then at what point would you go back to, and would the storage/knowledge be deleted or retained?

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Could be formatting? 1TB drives are 900something GB formatted, not exactly 1000. 2TB drives are 1700-1800GB formatted (or 1900GB? I just looked at my drives last night lmao, I should know this), not 2000GB. Not surprising if it's the same for larger drives. 

3 hours ago, Velcade said:

14TB Pros ?

Nope. I’m surprised this isn’t more widely known, especially as storage drives start to get bigger and the differences more noticeable.

The drive IS 14 terabytes in size.

Windows doesn’t actually show data size in terabytes, it shows it in tebibytes.

It has nothing to do with formatting, 14 terabytes is equal to 12.73tebibytes.

CDB3D330-29E7-4057-8706-E4199B673E62.thumb.jpeg.1189ea82eae512b968aa5c05e143a2cd.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Nope. I’m surprised this isn’t more widely known, especially as storage drives start to get bigger and the differences more noticeable.

The drive IS 14 terabytes in size.

Windows doesn’t actually show data size in terabytes, it shows it in tebibytes.

It has nothing to do with formatting, 14 terabytes is equal to 12.73tebibytes.

CDB3D330-29E7-4057-8706-E4199B673E62.thumb.jpeg.1189ea82eae512b968aa5c05e143a2cd.jpeg

is this related to the "1kb = 1000 bytes vs 1kB = 1024 bytes" issue? (base 10 vs base 2 i guess)

a video about something sponsored by the brand that makes the product featured in the video should be titled as a showcase

just so i don't click on it and give you a view you don't deserve. if i wanted 5 min or longer of advertising i would watch tv. this is youtube. 

She/Her

Just beware of random PSU failures.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

7 hours ago, Velcade said:

14TB Pros ?

Most software calculates storage differently than drive manufacturers.

Drive manufacturers calculate and advertise storage in multiples of 1000.

Software usually does multiples of 1024, but too often they incorrectly use KB, MB, GB, and TB, when they should be using KiB, MiB, GiB, and TiB.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, zENjA said:

Jake types in his user/pw on a external system to give linus access to his share - please do not, the other person could catch your credentials.

Create a seperate share & user for the person, who want to backup, also in the share config you can create quotas so your mate don't fill your nas full with his crap.

I upload by "external" Backup to work, where I have racked my own server (verry old system).

THIS. I don't understand how using Synology's Quick Connect feature would give Jake access to Linus's files... I own a DS918+ and that's not how this works at all. Quick Connect is just Synology's method of connecting to your NAS using (what I believe is) a reverse proxy, so that you can still connect if your router's Port Forwarding or UPnP shits the bed. It does not automagically grant access to files on the NAS.

What they should have done was indeed created separate users on each others' NAS' with their permissions set to only allow access to folders they require. A good way to organize this is to create a share just for backups (for example, a "_backup" share), then create user folders inside said share for each user who needs to backup. Once these folders are created, you just assign access rights for each folder to the corresponding user so they can only access it, and you're good to go.

5 hours ago, Aqeel Hashim said:

Can you setup a gitlab server and WordPress cms on a synology NAS? 

Massive use case a front end freelance web developer. 

And what's it like developing straight off the NAS say for UE4 game dev. Another use case here. 

Yes, you absolutely can run a web server or other form of Linux based server from a Synology - in fact, Synology OS is just a customized flavor of Unix/Linux with a ton of heavily skinned & customized interfaces to reduce the amount of manual configuration one otherwise would have to do. There's also a plethora of 3rd party repositories, allowing you to install many apps Synology doesn't support right from the same package manager.

https://synocommunity.com/packages

https://search.synopackage.com/sources

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, scotartt said:

is this related to the "1kb = 1000 bytes vs 1kB = 1024 bytes" issue? (base 10 vs base 2 i guess)

Yes, though you’re using the wrong abbreviations ? Is painfully confusing though.

kB = kilobyte = 1000 bytes (this is what drive manufacturers use) Metric

KiB = kibibyte = 1024 bytes (this what Windows usually uses, though it uses the incorrect abbreviation)

Both of the above are a measurement of how many bytes (1 byte = 8 bits).

kb = kilobit = 1000bits = 125 bytes.

This is usually how internet speed is measured.

In the old days, when things were still measured in kilobytes or megabytes, it didn’t really matter that there was a difference, as visually, 1000 is equal to 1024.

As capacities grow, this will become a bigger problem, though still relatively minor. Already people have accused companies of misrepresenting the size of hard drives.

As we saw above, 14 terabytes = 12.73 tebibytes.

when you get bigger, 14 petabytes = 12.43 pebibytes

and even bigger, 14 exabytes = just 12.14 exbibytes.

Though we are many decades away from having 14 exabyte hard drives, a more reasonable example might be found at say 100 terabytes. If someone were to buy a 100TB hard drive and windows showed it as 90TB (when it is in fact 90TiB), I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a consumer to feel short changed.

The easiest solution would be for Windows to show everything using the metric standard that everyone’s familiar with, as it would be relatively consequence free.

Does Unraid have a similar or equivalent mutual backup feature? Or could you do this cross-platform between Synology/Unraid? I'm looking to build my own storage server next year and I'd rather go with Unraid for the horsepower and repair purposes, but this mutual backup feature would save me a fortune. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Synology clearly likes to pay the same one who said consumer stuff sucks (so including their stuff)... on the other hand, the enthusiasm of the hosts!

You're more likely to die of old age than lose data in a house fire. Stop feeding people propaganda.

Any important data should be backed up off site however, but the amount of data to be protected (like photos) should fall in the free areas of services or cheap cloud services. Or better yet

Cat still not included.

Why did this not count as a "sponsor showcase?" 

Or did you give up on putting that in the title? 

Those Synology-boxes are quite appealing, I've been eyeing their stuff for several years now. That said, they are WAY too expensive; you can put together something three times as more capable for one-third the cost if you're willing to just use a standard PC for the task. I just can't afford to buy those at the prices Synology is asking for them.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

sure, let me get right on off-site backup for my 5TB worth of data

image.png.61969a4b636d042b8b1d6bcaf800d838.png

Even if i decided to only backup 1TB worth of my most important data...that's 156 DAYS of uploading. which would choke out my entire internet to the point it would be unusable for anything else

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Even if i decided to only backup 1TB worth of my most important data...that's 156 DAYS of uploading. which would choke out my entire internet to the point it would be unusable for anything else

That's a level of Ouch that I haven't seen since the late days of Dial-Up/ early days of aDSL. I pity your poor Aussie soul. ?

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

26 minutes ago, Semper said:

I pity your poor Aussie soul.

Could always be worse: they could be a redhead as well as a dirty bogan!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Sounds like internet is expensive in Australia. Don't recall the last time I experienced 0.59 Mbps upload speed!

Around here (Pakistan), one can have a 50Mbps (Up/Down) unlimited DSL for an equivalent of $15 a month, which will transform into a solid 100Mbps connection from 2:30AM onward. $30 for a 500Mbps connection with upto 1Gbps at night. Take a look:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.f643cafb8273ee79e0f82dcdde424594.jpg

1 USD = ~155 PKR. 

I'll never take high speed internet for granted...

Honest!

?